Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking of Buying EQ2

xxKunkxxxxKunkxx Member Posts: 2

Many people focus on all the bad points of everquest, and I am glad to explore what downside there may be for me. Although, I would like to discover the Upside of EQ2. I feel like that point of view is underemphasized. Mostly because people are too busy enjoying it rather than posting about it.

I was a big fan of EQ1 and played for many years. I started playing shortly before Ruins of Kanark came out. I enjoyed all the traveling that was included in moving to place to place. In fact, traveling might be my favorite part of EQ. I loved the use of personal spells to avoid or escape encounters. I played as a high elf enchanter, the escape artist where encounters are based on skill more than power-leveling.
Traveling unharmed in Ogguk and other unfriendly cities just for the hell of it. On the battling part of things, I enjoyed being the one who has to get my group out of trouble when the shit hits the fan (Picture that, it's disgusting). It made each encounter feel more excited, but as characters advanced and toons could take on 4 mobs simultaneously like in Velkator's Labyrinth. I felt the excitement wane.

Although, I never felt too big on questing, but ended up doing it all the time. I'd always have eight quests going at the same time. Each quest taking weeks or in the case of my epic, Years. My playing experience waned when Luclin was introduced. I felt my power as an enchanter becoming more of a have to do than want to do. I started playing a warrior class which is nice for grinding through some boring levels w/ the help of my enchanter's money.

The next part of the game that really excited me was Planes of Power. Finally mobs could easily take out a group if they're a bit too relaxed. Also traveling unharmed around mobs and to places became a challenge again once in the zone. Great Feature having the danger all based in one zone instead of having to say I died here at loc ..., ... and having to hold up a group for a half an hour to find a corpse and rez it.

The next expansion really killed it for me, as well as general boredom of my character. The idea of instance zone was fun and exciting, but time consuming and too much preparation. This is where other character already "know" how you should play instead of being able to discover it yourself with wonder and excitement. I enjoy the fact that if someone is knowledgeable about a zone it is just valuable as having the best equipment and spells.

I don't know how to describe the importance and enjoyment of guilds but to say "THEY ROCKED" in a hard core voice.

Now that I have adequately described my EQ1 experience, please tell me if EQ2 will satisfy these tastes, and don't be afraid to suggest another game that might satisfy these taists.

Also I tried FF11 for a week, couldn't it stand without the 1 button attack/spell. Guess I'm too accustom to eq style of play.

Comments

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Well one thing EQ2 has in common with EQ1 is that the game starts to gain momentum as you get higher.

I found level 1-20 exciting and new.20-30 a bit boring.30-40 starting to pick up and now at 40+ i feel a wow coming up.

Same happened to me in EQ1.

Now quests take a matter of hours are there are thousands around.Npc that shout out to you.Clickable npc.Items on ground.A scroll in dungeon etc basically they made it a quest mmorpg literally every corner you look.

Also a stroy arc is quite good.Take the ghoulabne quest.It actually starts in your under 10 level as just helping a woman get a broom which she rewards you with a worthless stone that leads to the ghoulbane.

Items you knew in EQ1 are now heritage quest items like the fbss,dwarven work boots,manastone,ghoulbane.fishbone earring etc only with much better stats.

Quests take from a few mins to a few days depending on the item and the story arc.

Instances exist but if you pay attention they have a good story which makes you a player in it.A good example is the nekoplas castle which is an instance for a group.Basically it is a castle which has a evil family in it(mostly ghost like).If you go thru the story its amazing but if you are like a member of my guild i took there only caring to get to the boss mob and finish a heritage quest you will lose the joy of it.Its littered with quests,riddles,secret entrances,loot and a good storyline.

I did this one without a spoiler first time and was glad i did and even a good spoiler will not be enough.

Levelling is easier then EQ1.

Though to me it will never be as good as EQ1 but then again pre veilous EQ1 holds a special place in my hear.So i might be biased.

Its a good game if you are tired of EQ1 give it a shot you will be amazed espically as you get past 40 .I am so glad i stayed in this game this long because if i quit before this i would have lost a good gaming experience.

If intrested and you pick oasis server pm on this board and i will meet you up ingame.