Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Square Enix expanding FFXIV team

MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494

In yet another example of why SE and FFXIV are not comparable to poorly launched MMO's of the past the company is hiring more people onto their development team for the rehabilitating MMO.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2011/09/14/square-enix-looking-to-strengthen-the-final-fantasy-xiv-development-team/

Compared to another often lamented launch of a very promising MMO Vanguard, FFXIV:

• Was not made by a start up company/ponzi scheme led by a visionary with no business skills and an alleged prescription drug problem.

• Was not then sold to the worst MMO company/parasite in the world SOE to be put on a shelf.

• Is hiring rather than firing everyone in some parking lot.

• Has expansions planned rather than coming out and saying that there will likely never be one (because the code doesn't allow it).

FFXIV is not Vanguard, and regardless what some forum posters believe.  Square Enix, one of the largest and most sucessful game development/publishing companies in the world, still believes in the projects ability to "get better" and be a sucessful MMO.

I'm sure though some real experts can come and enlighten us on how XIV will never make it to the PS3 or have subscription fees before it is "shut down" based on their careful analysis of market trends >.>

Comments

• SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531

Originally posted by Murugan

In yet another example of why SE and FFXIV are not comparable to poorly launched MMO's of the past the company is hiring more people onto their development team for the rehabilitating MMO.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2011/09/14/square-enix-looking-to-strengthen-the-final-fantasy-xiv-development-team/

Compared to another often lamented launch of a very promising MMO Vanguard, FFXIV:

• Was not made by a start up company/ponzi scheme led by a visionary with no business skills and an alleged prescription drug problem.

• Was not then sold to the worst MMO company/parasite in the world SOE to be put on a shelf.

• Has expansions planned rather than coming out and saying that there will likely never be one (because the code doesn't allow it).

FFXIV is not Vanguard, and regardless what some forum posters believe.  Square Enix, one of the largest and most sucessful game development/publishing companies in the world, still believes in the projects ability to "get better" and be a sucessful MMO.

I'm sure though some real experts can come and enlighten us on how XIV will never make it to the PS3 or have subscription fees before it is "shut down" based on their careful analysis of market trends >.>

Square WERE the largest and most sucessful game development/publishing companies in the world , if we go back 10 years. Today? Not by a long shot. Not with their FF's lasting under 10 hours on console from start to finish and boring story lines.  They used to be the BOMB , but now , I often forget who the hell SquareEnix are. But I do remember who SquareSoft were and those were the days.

• skeith138skeith138 Member Posts: 176

i though people hate on ffxiv  cuz it didn't have WOW features ( spam combat,Carebear raids, poor pvp, and no actual challenge)

but anyways i don't think it  can compete with the new MMORPG's coming out later.

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494

Originally posted by SuprGamerX

Square WERE the largest and most sucessful game development/publishing companies in the world , if we go back 10 years. Today? Not by a long shot. Not with their FF's lasting under 10 hours on console from start to finish and boring story lines.  They used to be the BOMB , but now , I often forget who the hell SquareEnix are. But I do remember who SquareSoft were and those were the days.

You mean FFXIII which sold 6 million+ copies?  Publishing last month's best selling game.  Owning hundreds of sucessful of titles across all platforms in addition to their other holdings in television/toys/comics etc.  Luckily for Square Enix I guess other people didn't forget who the hell they are.

Compared to the companies, most of which only develop and do not publish themselves that produce MMO's with the exception of maybe Activision and EA, yeah they are massive and dwarf the majority of the competition.

• PukeBucketPukeBucket Member Posts: 867

Looking forward to seeing this game come out.

But they won't seriously be able to get subscriptions for this game. Alternate money making model needed badly.

I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

• TheMinnTheMinn Member Posts: 397

FFXIV is not Vanguard because Vanguard is a great MMO....

• RateroRatero Member UncommonPosts: 440

After what I saw in Beta... I'll not touch this game again for a few years, if then.

Not only is Square Enix continuing to invest heavily in the game, but you're telling me our server communities will continue to be top notch as well?  This news keeps getting better and better.

• LexinLexin Member UncommonPosts: 701

Maybe since us XI players continue to pay for this game we should get a free copy... Though I honestly don't see what else they can spend the FFXI money on since it looks like XI wont be getting anything much after 99 cap unless they drop PS2 support. Been waiting on the PS3 version of XIV but looking like it will never happen.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314

FFXIV has a LOT of potential. Most people who bought this game haven't seen even a quarter of the content.

For me, a big turn-off was how buggy the combat was. For some reason, monsters were still hitting me even though they were leashing back and regenerating, leading to many deaths on my part, simply because my maximum casting range was longer than the monster's leash. And the long delay between client and server was not helping any either.

Originally posted by birdycephon

FFXIV has a LOT of potential. Most people who bought this game haven't seen even a quarter of the content.

For me, a big turn-off was how buggy the combat was. For some reason, monsters were still hitting me even though they were leashing back and regenerating, leading to many deaths on my part, simply because my maximum casting range was longer than the monster's leash. And the long delay between client and server was not helping any either.

That leashing issue was fixed a long long time ago, in November or December of 2010 I believe.

• augustgraceaugustgrace Member UncommonPosts: 628

Good news!  I'm very impressed with the new director, I just wish that someone would have brought him in much sooner.  They've made some great strides in fixing the game, but I think a relaunch and heavy marketing with a humble message/apology will be necessary to get people to give the game another shot.

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

Dude SO not a smart move. They should be hiring/focusing on their new MMO rather than this. Let's see FF15 MMORPG! But I don't think SE can compete in West anymore against BW/EA NCSoft/ANET.

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673

That's been my most recent rallying cry against this developer ever since SquareSoft merged with Enix they have put out pure crap games that can't hold a candle to what squaresoft did on their own.

Now I have vague recollections of Enix games before the merger but since then they only use ip's made famous by Squaresoft and as you stated they have only screwed them up worse with each new release pleas esomeone tell me that the folks that were squaresoft got something out of this other than the shaft.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by PukeBucket
    But they won't seriously be able to get subscriptions for this game. Alternate money making model needed badly.

This game has been out for about a year now.

It's been free/no subscription so far - because it sucks so bad, even to the developer, that they couldn't in good conscience charge money for it. They plan to return to a subscription fee "when it's worthy" - although I think they may need to rethink that one.

Originally posted by Ridelynn

It's been free/no subscription so far - because it sucks so bad, even to the developer, that they couldn't in good conscience charge money for it. They plan to return to a subscription fee "when it's worthy" - although I think they may need to rethink that one.

Yeah I know.

I bought the big box version, and with as many years that I've spent gaining an education I felt foolish.

• alyosha17alyosha17 Member Posts: 156

Hopefully they can hire someone to replace Yoshida so the game can actually prosper.  Someone who creates more than they destroy, hopefully.

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Yeah I know.

I bought the big box version, and with as many years that I've spent gaining an education I felt foolish.

You feel foolish for spending 50 bucks on a game that has given you F2P for the past year?  Honestly, thats not that bad compared to buying many other MMO's on launch lately.

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973

..stuff

....stuff

You mean FFXIII which sold 6 million+ copies?  Publishing last month's best selling game.  Owning hundreds of sucessful of titles across all platforms in addition to their other holdings in television/toys/comics etc.  Luckily for Square Enix I guess other people didn't forget who the hell they are.

Compared to the companies, most of which only develop and do not publish themselves that produce MMO's with the exception of maybe Activision and EA, yeah they are massive and dwarf the majority of the competition.

FF 13 sold that much because what SquareSoft did with 7 and 8. Newer FFs still clinged to that reputation. FF13 is and forever will be pure crap, second would be FF X 2.

Originally posted by marinrider

Yeah I know.

You feel foolish for spending 50 bucks on a game that has given you F2P for the past year?  Honestly, thats not that bad compared to buying many other MMO's on launch lately.

I paid 70 and honestly the game was so broken I wouldn't have accepted a monthly fee to play it.

It was my fault. I should have checked reviews despite it being a busy time in my life. There was plenty of ample warning about how crap the game was and the state of garbage it was in.

I just didn't have time at that time. I've patched up a few of the fixes and I haven't seen anything different. It's a pretty game, it's mostly empty, it plays poorly. I mean sure it's different than WoW, but a game can't just be different. It has to be good too.

And I've put half that amount of cash into LotRO to get a MMO fix and it's been acceptable. 

I mean there's no argument here. Even Square knew the game sucked, and they admit that is still sucks and are getting new hands and eyes on it.

• KyllsynKyllsyn Member UncommonPosts: 110

Hey guys, maybe with this new team, they can completely rebuild the game system and make it enjoyable. 

all derp'd out and nowhere to herpaderp.
  • raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673

Yeah I know.

I paid 70 and honestly the game was so broken I wouldn't have accepted a monthly fee to play it.

It was my fault. I should have checked reviews despite it being a busy time in my life. There was plenty of ample warning about how crap the game was and the state of garbage it was in.

I just didn't have time at that time. I've patched up a few of the fixes and I haven't seen anything different. It's a pretty game, it's mostly empty, it plays poorly. I mean sure it's different than WoW, but a game can't just be different. It has to be good too.

And I've put half that amount of cash into LotRO to get a MMO fix and it's been acceptable. 

I mean there's no argument here. Even Square knew the game sucked, and they admit that is still sucks and are getting new hands and eyes on it.

Don't feel bad SE was begging and strong arming sites to not review the game and to my knowledge a few sites (including this one) did what they asked and put off reviews.

And that still shocks me there is no reason that a game should be thrust upon the market and not reviewed, and the funny thing is even though mmorpg did them that huge favor when they finally did review it fans of the game came on here and roasted them for the reviews score and timing (even though the game had been out for like a year before the review).

• rykim86rykim86 Member Posts: 236

And yet while other giant companies like EA, Activision Blizzard, NCSoft etc... continue to make millions on video games alone, SE is making a fraction with all their divisions combined together?  In fact, they downgraded their projected profits by almost 90%.  Most of SEs video game profits lie in selling a few titles by the millions.  Their lesser titles, mostly their handhelds, account for chump change.  

They can be as big as they want, but if they're only making a few million in profit every year, they're far from successful.  Especially if their revenue stream is in the billions.

Originally posted by raistlinm

Yeah I know.

Don't feel bad SE was begging and strong arming sites to not review the game and to my knowledge a few sites (including this one) did what they asked and put off reviews.

And that still shocks me there is no reason that a game should be thrust upon the market and not reviewed, and the funny thing is even though mmorpg did them that huge favor when they finally did review it fans of the game came on here and roasted them for the reviews score and timing (even though the game had been out for like a year before the review).

I remember reading something like that. I just stuck with lodestone and other SE sites. 

Trust me now. I can wait for a MMO to launch and mature a bit before I make a decision like that again. I'm a creature that can hopefully learn after being biten once.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by raistlinm

Yeah I know.

I remember reading something like that. I just stuck with lodestone and other SE sites. 

Trust me now. I can wait for a MMO to launch and mature a bit before I make a decision like that again. I'm a creature that can hopefully learn after being biten once.

i think most are at some point bitten... for me, hype is just hype.. and never again will i buy a game on pre-order... and if possible, use a free trial first, and .. always always read the player reviews.. you get good and bad reviews but even so, you can usually get a handle on how a game is from them. I might not agree with player reviews all the time, but i trust them a lot more than the 'official' ones image

• Castlead1z1Castlead1z1 Member UncommonPosts: 100

Im trying to play this game but it's getting impossible, if i ask something to some one no one replies...tried shouting no one replies i have no idea weres the banker if theres one, i have no quests to pick up, just a few leaves wich so i read resets after 36 hours, crafting is a pain in the but since i have not found anything or toturial that pointed how to get so many mats to craft stuff...i just see lots of ppl selling on theirs toons, prices are insane, theres no guilds, linkshells what ever recruiting...i mean...this is not the most friendly game out there, even sandboxes are easyer to play !!! Tough the game is ok nice graphics etc...but thats about it...wanna try it a bit more but is getting fustrating riunning around with no idea what to do :(