Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Snarky Little Geniuses – Angel McCoy on Writing the Asura

RameiArashiRameiArashi Member UncommonPosts: 294

Comments

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Isn't this blog just more of the same...

There isn't anything really new or unexpected in the blog isn't there?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

Asura Pirates = Ferengi.

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• RameiArashiRameiArashi Member UncommonPosts: 294

Talk Like A Pirate Day is coming up.  Guild Wars 1 monsters will dropping grog this week end.

• Dream_ChaserDream_Chaser Member Posts: 1,043

*twitch*

*twitch twitch*

They are so annoying. I wasn't expecting that. I was planning on rolling an asura but they're simply too superior and egotistical, and I've had enough of being exposed to that from other people. Okay, mostly charr, followed by a side order of norn, sylvari, and human to see how it goes with the other races it is. But the asura... @[email protected] I could not listen to that. I would want to reach through the screen and maul them.

The charr might be aggressive but by golly, they're not so... obnoxious. In fact, not so at all, just gruff. This is purified, unadulterated condescension and brown-nosing. And I wanted to like the asura, too. I'm still planning on trying to like the asura but they're so disregarding of everyone else that it's going to be hard. Aside from raw intellect, I'm failing to see what their redeeming qualities are (if any). All of the races have their gruff sides and their redeeming qualities, but the asura... oh gosh.

I may have to roll an asura ironically, just to have an asura character who's all about open source, and freedom of information, and accepting that the other races are equally as smart as he is. Though such a character may just end up labelled as mentally ill by other asura. Silly asura.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Originally posted by Dream_Chaser

*twitch*

*twitch twitch*

They are so annoying. I wasn't expecting that. I was planning on rolling an asura but they're simply too superior and egotistical, and I've had enough of being exposed to that from other people. Okay, mostly charr, followed by a side order of norn, sylvari, and human to see how it goes with the other races it is. But the asura... @[email protected] I could not listen to that. I would want to reach through the screen and maul them.

The charr might be aggressive but by golly, they're not so... obnoxious. In fact, not so at all, just gruff. This is purified, unadulterated condescension and brown-nosing. And I wanted to like the asura, too. I'm still planning on trying to like the asura but they're so disregarding of everyone else that it's going to be hard. Aside from raw intellect, I'm failing to see what their redeeming qualities are (if any). All of the races have their gruff sides and their redeeming qualities, but the asura... oh gosh.

I may have to roll an asura ironically, just to have an asura character who's all about open source, and freedom of information, and accepting that the other races are equally as smart as he is. Though such a character may just end up labelled as mentally ill by other asura. Silly asura.

Hahaha....this post made me laugh. 

I wasnt too bothered,  but I cant really disagree with this post either.   They did sort of seem over the top. 

But this is kind of new.  And I think thats what GW2 is going for.  Ive noticed that races in other genres always seem to be an extreme exaggeration of a single human flaw or characteristic.  Take Star Trek for example.  The aliens in that always seem to take a single human quality, and magnify it.  Klingons are warriors and angry, Romulans are devious and rude, Vulcans are pure logic, etc etc. 

You even said the Charr are gruff.  They've got grit.  Thats their characteristic.  That side of humanity that we can identify with. 

I wonder if Asura are meant to come across as the pompus, arrogant, and brillant part of human nature.  Im just hoping that Anet makes them likeable in the end.  Because no one appreciates a smart ass.  : P 

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Originally posted by Dream_Chaser

I was planning on rolling an asura but they're simply too superior and egotistical, and I've had enough of being exposed to that from other people.

Just try to keep a level above others at any time and you should be fine with this image

• RameiArashiRameiArashi Member UncommonPosts: 294

Different strokes for different folks. I love the asura and cant stand those damn charr.

• KonyakKonyak Member Posts: 156

I personally love the Asura. They're hilarious. I love their egos. I'm glad that there is some diverse array of races in GW2. Not only in what they look like but the different personal aspects of each race.