Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dawntide Release and Info

NaowutNaowut Member UncommonPosts: 663

Dawntide has come a long way since the beginning of Open Beta, and we now feel that the time is right to begin the transition from Beta into the actual launch of the game. As such, we are announcing today that the Open Beta will end and Dawntide will launch on October 1st, 2011. The game will be distributed free of charge with no up-front costs through our online download center. A free trial period of 10 days will be offered, after which we will charge a subscription fee of €8.95 per month, €23.95 for 3 months and €44.95 for 6 months, with the additional option to purchase a lifetime subscription for €84.95.

Working as Intended would like to thank all of you fans and testers that have helped us shape the development of the game up to this point, and hope you will stay with us through the rest of the beta and beyond.

To give you an idea of what to expect in the coming months, we have published a roadmap that outlines where the game will be at release, and what our development priorities will be in the coming months. As before, we will continue to listen to your input and actively discuss the direction of the game on our forums.

To go with the announcement we have put up a new trailer, so go check it out!

Source: http://www.dawntide.net/forum/topic/1007020

P.S Thanks for adding Dawntide to MMORPG.com :)

Comments

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Originally posted by psyknx

P.S Thanks for adding Dawntide to MMORPG.com :)

No problem!  Sorry it took us so long.  It just got lost in the shuffle.  Enjoy the forums!  Our coverage on this one will increase in time too.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Thanks for the links and info. I'd really like to see a fantasy sandbox mmorpg succeed, for some reason Dawntide excites me more than ArchAge even though it's obviously on a much lower budget.

• XexvXexv Member Posts: 308

Best of luck Dawntide we're all hoping for a decent release.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

good luck and I sincerely hope dawn tide can accomplish what mortal could not (a small company fantasy sand-box)

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Glad to see they've added this game.

I wish them luck on the launch in two weeks!

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

I was all ready and set to hop into the beta - sounded like a pretty spiffy game.  Then my pc went kabloom.  Had to dust off an old Dell with integrated video while the new one gets shipped.  Hopefully I'll have the new rig by launch...

• infamouswhoisinfamouswhois Member Posts: 185

so how did the open beta go? i heard it was in beta for a long time. What can we expect the state of the game to be at launch?

Originally posted by yutty
    so how did the open beta go? i heard it was in beta for a long time. What can we expect the state of the game to be at launch?

I think the general feeling is 'fingers crossed' >_>
    You can see what the team is aiming for at release by reading the roadmap.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Originally posted by yutty

There were a bunch of threads created in their forums in the last month about how this game was nowhere near ready to go live.

Since the forum update i think they've all been deleted, but you can still find some posts saying this.

I would wait and see myself.

• SalengerSalenger Member UncommonPosts: 554

Ive checked in a few times on the beta and many big and necessary improvements have been made.  I think the one portion of this game that will tell its success or it failure is the PVE/PVP, the animations and Mob AI were not great i would even go as far as saying bad...., But the crafting/sandbox aspects of this game do in fact surpass all current titles of that genre and probably will keep the attention from those fans and sway them from paying attention to the poor PVE/PVP.

I wish Dawntide great success and i will be there on launch to see what else the team behind the game has improved.

I must admit I do give WaI a slightly larger benefit of the doubt than I would other studios simply because Wiz is involved and I know the steady progress he made with his previous project, Winter's Roar/Shards of Dalaya.

I think they'll get there in the end. Anyway like I say, fingers crossed eh.

• pwnasauruspwnasaurus Member UncommonPosts: 71

Having played the beta for around 4 days this month, It's my opinion that this game requires substantial refinement before being ready for launch.

Just a few of the glaring faults:

No combat noises(really...)

No directional walking/running animations

Players can jump up some vertical faces (walls, mountains, etc)

Lag issues, especially during combat.

Doors are glitchy

Some mobs fall through constructs and or the world.

lots of other small things.

On the other hand, I really liked a lot of the systems they had in place, particularly the skill points and xp system. The world felt interesting and immersive, charming and intriguing, etc. I found myself ignoring many of its lackings while enjoying what it does provide, resulting in that "i'll log off after I get over to that town...no wait maybe when I reach that keep...ad infinitum" loop.

• NaowutNaowut Member UncommonPosts: 663

My opinion is make this game release ready is fix how your character interactes with the world.

Right now it feels a little like there is no gravity or something, when I jump I want to fall back down and not float for a while, when I attack a fox I want to see myself hit it, this also includes hit sounds etc.

Other than that I think the game is great and ready.

(Ive been playing off and on for A LONG time, closed beta)

Looks like release is going to be delayed, thread link:

Originally posted by GMPathy
    For the last few weeks Wiz has been attempting to find a way to stretch the beta stage to allow for further time to make the game as enjoyable as possible at launch. Only today Wiz assured me that the October 1st release was going to be rescheduled to allow more time to impliment the planned updates according to the roadmap document. While the timescales have not been met as planned a delay to the launch has been confirmed and hopefully will benefit the dev team and the players alike.

While I am a moderator I am not in a position to publish a news thread making this official, but Wiz will do so once a revised schedule and release date has been finalised. Hopefully you will see this on the front page in the near future.

As for now, players can plan to continue playing in beta beyond October 1st and hopefully assist in the testing of future updates.

Official announcement from Wiz:

Originally posted by Wiz
    The release of Dawntide will be delayed from October 1st to a later date. We are currently in the process of establishing the new release date, so a date will be posted as soon as we have decided on it.

In the meanwhile, the Beta will continue to run as normal and we will soon return to the normal patching scheudle.

Also preorders will be open soon for those that want to actively support the game:

Originally posted by Bill
    I think I’m right in saying that our billing system is being developed and we should have pre-orders available soon.

• TablixTablix Member UncommonPosts: 51

Wiz has made a news post today making the delayed launch official.  New schedules will obviously be planned and players will be notified as and when things are more finalised.  The beta will continue to run until launch and anyone is free to install and join in.  The delay to launch should benefit everyone long term allowing more time to fix some of the more troublesome issues and to update the combat systems and impliment new game mechanics. 

With regards to some of the previous post and AV software, there is nothing to concern anyonem there is nothing malicious going on.  The client installs via a torrent and you can choose to use either the game patcher or 3rd party software to recieve the torrent.

Regarding the issues mentioned with sound, players simply need to use the included repair file to reinstall openAL which does not seem to install correctly when using the patcher on Vista and Win7.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Originally posted by psyknx

My opinion is make this game release ready is fix how your character interactes with the world.

Right now it feels a little like there is no gravity or something, when I jump I want to fall back down and not float for a while, when I attack a fox I want to see myself hit it, this also includes hit sounds etc.

Other than that I think the game is great and ready.

(Ive been playing off and on for A LONG time, closed beta)

I've also been playing off and on for a long time, and the game isn't any different from most other indie games launched in the past several years.  Currently, it's really buggy and unfinished.  Many systems have not been turned on so far.  The game is not ready.

As one example, the doors to buildings don't work correctly - they open and close too quickly to get in or out.  It doesn't matter, though, because the camera has no collision, so it's possible to spin the camera around X-ray vision-style to see inside buildings and interact with NPCs.

The combat is in very bad shape, though they are revamping it, the new system hasn't been put into the game yet.  Lag (or desync) is a very serious issue in combat currently, and that's with very, very few players on.

The graphics are poor, the animations are even worse.

The crafting does work pretty well, though.

Overall, another game with some excellent concepts, and it's certainly playable, but it's going to take more time and effort before it's complete.  WAI appears to agree, which is why they are doing the right thing and delaying the launch.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• Sh3nanigansSh3nanigans Member Posts: 23

Been following this game on and off for awhile now. It's another one of those indie titles with great potential that may or may not be realized.  It's good they delayed the release and I hope for the games sake that it isn't released for another 12-16 months. If they take the time to reallllly polish this game it could be a very good sandbox.

Still many beta players seemed excited about the potential release. I wonder how could you be excited about such an unfished game? MO anyone?