Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Lantern worth coming back for?

GameMonger71GameMonger71 Member UncommonPosts: 122

I played DCUO in beta and briefly, very briefly, at release.  I do not know what it was, but I had a blast in beta and quickly found the game to be meh upon release.  I did not even level very far once the game went live, maybe level 5-8 or so which is not much time at all.  I found myself recereating a bunch of characters, but not feeling any special link to them from a story, powers, or personality standpoint.  I think the biggest thing was that I really did not feel that any power set clicked with me (unlike my short time in CO where I liked several power sets from a them standpoint).

 

I like the idea of a superhero MMO, it is something different than all the fantasy MMOs, but I am having a hard time putting my subscription money down on DCUO when CO is free and COH soon will be. 

 

My question really is, given that I was not "grabbed" by the original DCUO power sets, will Lantern powers really make a difference for me?  I know that is tough to answer since you do not know me, but in your experience do the Lantern powers really add something special to the game?  Is that something special enough in your opinion to justify paying the DCUO subscription vice CO or COH for free?  I should add that I do not have very much game time at all so I may play 2-4 hours a week if I am lucky.

 

I am also a little confused on whether or not I will have to play for the Lantern DLC since I have purchased the game a while ago, but my account has been closed for some time.  I am in good standing, but my account is not active.  If I renew for 1 month say on this Saturday do I automatically get the Lantern DLC for free or is it $15 for the monthly fee and $10 for the DLC since I was not active on Sep 6 when Fight for the Light released?  Maybe it is just me since I have not been following DCUO, but the whole scheme of who is eligible for free DLC and who is not is really confusing which seems silly given that SOE is not new to MMOs or DLCs.

 

Thanks in advance for any opinions and help.

Comments

  • negacrowbarnegacrowbar Member Posts: 149

    I am still confused about who is eleigible for the DLC and what "acount in good standing means". Some say that as long as your account has not been banned then you will ge the content. Some say different. There is no place to buy the DLC yet, so I have a feeling that it is free for anyone who has an account.

    As for the Light power set being enough for you to jump back in, well that's a tough question. For one, the DLC has brought back a ton of players, so there are new leagues and people to play with and a bunch of purely GL inspired leagues. Plus, there is a bunch of new content and stuff with the DLC. The fact that eveyone is a GL might dissuade you but I figure in a few weeks the newness will die off and people will return to their other characters, if they didn't nerf them with the respec token, that is.

    As far as the Light power set, I can say that it is a different mechanic from other power sets and a bit different to play. For one, as you unlock different abilities, you can chain attacks off of the first button mash. This comes completely in handy when getting mobbed. You can mash the claw (1), then tap melee 4 more times to launch a combo, or after mashing (1), you can switch to mini guns by holding range  to stun multiple opponents or tap range to release a ram attack to push your opponent away.

    The combo mechanic adds a little extra thrill to the power set and I feel that, as of now, the Light power set is a little strong and might get nerfed but so far, i find it interesting.

    A big thing that is going on is everyone has pride in being a GL right now and it has created a community within itself.

    There are still a lot of bugs to the game and voice chat is still an issue, along with certain issues from the mergerserver launch, but I do still have hopes for this game and the Light DLC was just one part of a future expansion. With those still coming plus Update 5, you might decide to come back.

  • proponentproponent Member UncommonPosts: 92

    I did but shouldn't have.

  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

    Originally posted by negacrowbar

     I have a feeling that it is free for anyone who has an account.

    thats the impression i get


    Originally posted by Takius

    an answer from the official forums:

    "If you just resubscribed or are resubscribing in the immediate future it should be made availalbe to you for free. Details of a cut off date for this are not availalbe at this time however we're extending it to current players free of charge for the immediate future."

  • proponentproponent Member UncommonPosts: 92

    I wouldn't resub. They added few more instances was all. Still rather empty and stlll no content that really holds the player. You would really have to love Green Lantern for this to be a legit reason to come back. So if you get orgasmic from green lanterns this would be the time to give it a try. Although, its still only a quickie and you won't want them to still be in your bed in the morning.

  • KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 893

    Lantern powers are fun, they shook up the combat system a LITTLE BIT with them, so if you enjoyed the original combat then you will probably enjoy this.  They are over the top in the way comic book powers should be thats for sure.

     

    The new instances they added are challenging and if you enjoyed the format of previous instances but wanted more challenge and a slightly faster pace then you will enjoy them.

     

    From what I am told the new raids require lot more co-ordination than the old ones, which is good because the old ones were not hard at all.

     

    Overall if you enjoyed DCU at launch yes its worth a dip back in, the game is in a much better place than it was at launch social tools have been improved etc.

     

    BUT

     

    Its still clear that its a console port, I could accept this if the PC And PS3 players could play together but the slack UI isnt excuses when we are kept seperated. 

     

    The new content is still just more of the same, DCUO IS all about the combat, if you dont accept that or want more depth then look away now.

     

    They are currently testing out two more new powersets for future releases (one would imagine they will be a Tanking and a healing one) the game is still a lot lot better than it was, but it still has a long way to go too.  Worth a check back for a month now yes, but I wouldnt go for the 3 month plan just yet, SOEs tactic so far seems to be to expand the max level game with new tiers I hope at some point the expand the game side ways, introduce some more quest chains maybe even a new city.

    Promoting thought a new Gaming video blog http://www.youtube.com/user/quinnthalas discussing games, gamers and the internet with gameplay footage as background.

  • proponentproponent Member UncommonPosts: 92

    Originally posted by Kothoses

    Lantern powers are fun, they shook up the combat system a LITTLE BIT with them, so if you enjoyed the original combat then you will probably enjoy this.  They are over the top in the way comic book powers should be thats for sure.

     

    The new instances they added are challenging and if you enjoyed the format of previous instances but wanted more challenge and a slightly faster pace then you will enjoy them.

     

    From what I am told the new raids require lot more co-ordination than the old ones, which is good because the old ones were not hard at all.

     

    Overall if you enjoyed DCU at launch yes its worth a dip back in, the game is in a much better place than it was at launch social tools have been improved etc.

     

    BUT

     

    Its still clear that its a console port, I could accept this if the PC And PS3 players could play together but the slack UI isnt excuses when we are kept seperated. 

     

    The new content is still just more of the same, DCUO IS all about the combat, if you dont accept that or want more depth then look away now.

     

    They are currently testing out two more new powersets for future releases (one would imagine they will be a Tanking and a healing one) the game is still a lot lot better than it was, but it still has a long way to go too.  Worth a check back for a month now yes, but I wouldnt go for the 3 month plan just yet, SOEs tactic so far seems to be to expand the max level game with new tiers I hope at some point the expand the game side ways, introduce some more quest chains maybe even a new city.

    The new Fortress raid is a joke. The others aren't challenging either (except maybe Inner) Don't want to step on your toes but there are actually few challenges left in the game. Tedious is not another word for challenge. 

    Don't get me wrong. I love this game. I love it because the combat system, voice acting, Mark Hamill and Kevin Conroy are over the top. With saying that ... I won't play it because the route they took on content. People forget that content updates were promised to be every month before release. Sadly, that was the only way it could have stayed afloat. SOE broke their promises and in turn broke the game.

  • fatenabu1fatenabu1 Member Posts: 381

    Hey,

     

    Game will be f2p soon so just wait and come back then. Also FOS isn't a joke harest raid in game now. They scewed up the difficulty when they released it but have since corrected it..With that said its an okay game, still buggy, still has bugs in it that were present in beta, which is why it can't hold subs to make money and is going F2P. People tend to think if they aren't paying a monthly sub but buying random crap from cash shop they are saving money.. Anyways its worth playing for free. I have been playing since beta.I enjoy the game quite a bit mostly for its action combat style. The lantern powers are pretty fun as well, I do see them being nerfed in the future.  I was going to cancel my sub though after this month due to financial priorities  and I felt like I was paying to play an expeience that didn' feel quite complete for me due to all the bugs.

     

    Dustin

  • popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

    As people said, the game is going FTP next month so yeah, it's worth coming back if you had fun but didn't like to pay.


    The lantern pack is fun so far, right now you are a Controller as a lantern but there's talk of other Light packages coming where you can be tanks or healers so that's in the future.


    Might as well try to retry it next month since you'll have nothing to lose at that point. If you can get into the Legends pvp and play as superheroes vs villains, then gear shouldn't matter because everyone is limited by the skillset, not what kind of pay package you have.


    I think the Legends PvP will be the biggest part of the game for most FTPers. Getting to play as the Batman vs Bane or Joker on equal footing is a huge draw.

  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

    I'm having a blast, light powers are by far the most fun of any power set. Makes me feel like all the powers need to be redesigned to function in a similar fashion.

    image
  • CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

    Sometimes I really think of playing this game only for the Green Lantern stuff.  I guess that costs extra but it seems really interesting. 

     

    Ive heard of people talk about Green Lantern as a rediculous comic character and a super cheesy one, but I always kind of thought it was one of the more inventive and interesting backstories to a super hero.   Plus there's the whole sci fi aspect of there being a core with thousands of normal non super powered beings given rings to protect specific sectors of the galaxy.  Im sorry but I think thats just kind of cool all around. 

     

    Only thing I thought was cheesy about it, is how many Lanterns does it really take to protect our sector?  WHY does earth have like what?  Five of them?  No....definitely at least six.   I mean that just means Earth is one seriously messed up place if we need that many lanterns guarding it. 

     

    I never read the comics where they introduced all the different colors such as pink, black, red, blue, orange etc.  Knew all about yellow and green but those others not so much.  Guess I missed out.  Ive read about them since but never read the comics.  Red sounds extremely nasty.  Not a ring I'd want.  Or black.  But red has to be the worst of the lot. 

     

    Okay.....geek mode disengaged.   Ah man.....I said "disengaged" when talking about stopping my geek mode.  It cant be stopped obviously.  Im gonna go cry in a pillow for awhile I guess.    : ( 

  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

    Originally posted by Corehaven

    Sometimes I really think of playing this game only for the Green Lantern stuff.  I guess that costs extra but it seems really interesting. 

     

    Ive heard of people talk about Green Lantern as a rediculous comic character and a super cheesy one, but I always kind of thought it was one of the more inventive and interesting backstories to a super hero.   Plus there's the whole sci fi aspect of there being a core with thousands of normal non super powered beings given rings to protect specific sectors of the galaxy.  Im sorry but I think thats just kind of cool all around. 

     

    Only thing I thought was cheesy about it, is how many Lanterns does it really take to protect our sector?  WHY does earth have like what?  Five of them?  No....definitely at least six.   I mean that just means Earth is one seriously messed up place if we need that many lanterns guarding it. 

     

    I never read the comics where they introduced all the different colors such as pink, black, red, blue, orange etc.  Knew all about yellow and green but those others not so much.  Guess I missed out.  Ive read about them since but never read the comics.  Red sounds extremely nasty.  Not a ring I'd want.  Or black.  But red has to be the worst of the lot. 

     

    Okay.....geek mode disengaged.   Ah man.....I said "disengaged" when talking about stopping my geek mode.  It cant be stopped obviously.  Im gonna go cry in a pillow for awhile I guess.    : ( 

    You dont have to buy it right now, I resubbed and got it for free!

    image
Sign In or Register to comment.