Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lag?

xBludxxBludx Member Posts: 376

I've just been having fun getting to learn the basics of UO with the free trial. 

I'm playing out of Korea and the game seems laggy. The latency for the Korean shard (Arirang) I chose is 31ms. It should be fine, right? My computer handles way newer games without any problem and I can play on US servers for those games without much lag. I don't know why UO seems so laggy and halting when I try to move or engage in combat. When I click to open by backpack for instance, there is about a second delay. Is this usual?  Is it something I'm doing or something I can adjust?

Another thing is that the Korean shard seems totally dead. I've never heard of any Korean person playing this game. I don't know who plays on this shard, if anyone, or why there even is one. I just wanted to check out the latency/lag. I tried a Japanese shard, very similar - 31 ms. I saw a couple of players but only one spoke -- in Japanese, naturally -- so that won't work for me as I need to use English. It seemed like there were players leaving gear laying around for newbies in New Haven, so that shard wasn't totally dead, at least.

The US west coast servers are around 171ms. I haven't tried there yet. Presumably there are a few players there and they speak some English image

Are there any ideas about the "lag" issue I've been experiencing, if that's what it is? Also, if you have any suggestions about servers I might try from Korea, which are English-speaking, please let me know.  I usually play my games on Oceanic servers when they're available, but the latency seems high from here according to the shard selection screen.

Thanks!

P.S. I found this and followed the instructions, but there was no change: http://uo.stratics.com/content/guides/lag.shtml

Comments

• obiiobii Member UncommonPosts: 804

No idea about Korea, but 50 % of UO's playerbase is in Japan.

Is the game feeling sluggish? Some graphic cards have problem with UO?

Have you made a trecert to the UO shard? Maybe you got packetloss?