Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I think I'm done :(

Comments

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214

Been playing EMPIRE: Total War, Stronghold Kingdoms, and even ESPN Bar & Grill through FB more than any MMO. That speaks volumes for me...trust me.

I have recently downloaded and played Dragon Nest....and it is ok, but it too speaks of being an MMO...but is more an instanced single player RPG than anything else. I have been soloing everything...mainly because looking for groups is a waste of time...barely anyone is forming or looking for groups.... it's fairly easy and fast paced combat, and if you die?....np....you can respawn on the spot and keep fighting....bleh. Little challenge and the main point is that of every other MMO there is....get the shinies.

• AthillianAthillian Member Posts: 104

Dont let the door hit you on the way out.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

Originally posted by seansean

Well, I've about had it. I've played all kinds of MMORPG's, EVE, EQ2, vanguard, ryzom, AOC, anarchy online, global agenda, beyond protocol, black prophecy, neocron 2(the best of them all, by a wide margin) SWG, matrix online, and many more.

nothing holds my interest. I've spent a lot of time, money and so on. it feels like I'm playing the same game over and over, with a different skin. EVE is a standout; but CCP lost my trust. once you're down to arguing about monocles, I pick up a book, ya know?

I'm the problem; my mind needs to be engaged(EVE did that but it's going down), I like sci-fi, I like flying things, I like virtual open worlds, I like persistence, I like player housing, but(and I can't stress this enough) IF I SEE ONE MORE FUCKING ELF IN MY LIFE I WILL GO ON A  JIHAD. I can't take it anymore. plus MMO's seem to all be going P2W, not just P2P. guess its time to hang it up. hell even SWTOR, with all the money in the world to spend, decided that a STAR WARS game should have space on rails. WTF..

fuck it. I swear to christ imma play magic: the gathering...

Well random internet poster thanks for dropping by to let us know you leaving. Have fun in the real world, theres lots of cool things for you to do there don't lead to MMO burnout. In the end you'll learn more, and probably be happier and healthier then sitting in front of the computer monitor all day/night

• simonwest80simonwest80 Member Posts: 173

To be honest i think there is lots of things that are causing this:

1)  Easy mode play - Lets be honest, you cant doubt that Vanilla WoW was fantastic, however you didnt have things like quest helper, boa etc etc etc.  It took months to level up, and then another load of months to do some of the end content.  You had to read the quests and god forbid.........speak with people to get help! (leads to my next point)

2) Community - Why do most people play MMOs?  The answer is simple to have fun with other people, often your rl friends.  However, the latest load of MMOs as some stated above seem to be more single player games with lots of rl people also playing.  You dont need to talk with anyone and just press a button to get into dungeon.

3) Samey - I picked up Rift the other day as it was £7, and guess what it felt like wow mark 2, i didnt need to read any instructions and i was able to play the game from the box, i didnt need to read the quest logs as i had my in game GPS pointing which way i needed to walk.

4) Money - the last thing and again something other people have commented on, if it isnt gonna make millions then no one cares how cool or great it is for MMO players.  Its the FIFA affect, churn out the same rubbish on a yearly basis for the masses.

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

As i was reading this thread, i heard a sad violin playing in the background.

• syncronizedsyncronized Member Posts: 2

i feel im in the same situation.. passing time just waiting.. i have a rift sub for another 3 months and have logged in twice since june when i got bored with it.   I must say, now that i look back.  I miss the grind.  I miss the hours and days and months of just waiting for the next or two lvls for the new skill.  My first MMO was knightonline, and i was hooked for a couple years with well over 3500 hours.  Altho it was item mall F2P.  Just grinding kept me going.  Then my next big game that i played that i thought would be a bit similar, Then it was just the next weapon.   I want a game that i have to grind for my lvls.  less weapon, armor choices, and new.   Wishful thinking,  oh i do miss the days where i was able to get my fix in a game.   dragonhunter for ps3, download game rpg style has me atm fixed.

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

I feel you OP. But see... future MMOs will be even worse. Might as well enjoy what we have now.

• BlasphimBlasphim Member UncommonPosts: 354

Hey! leave our pointy eared brethren alone...big meanie.  In serious I feel you, I so want to be done with the fantasy genre.  I can hope that TOR is that lil breath of fresh air I've been wanting. But if not, I can always go back to pnp, or even...*gasp* go outside once in a while ;). G'luck to ya, hope you find that which you seek.

• nearsightednearsighted Member Posts: 13

In a similar position to the OP here. My plan is to just enjoy all the non-mmo games I have on Steam and wait for something innovative and fun. I won't be giving any devs/companies money that fail to show even an ounce of innovation and / or creativity. Unfortunately, most people will continue to pre-order crap games and so we will keep receiving crap games. Crap = The same themepark game over and over in a different skin. Money grabs, that's all they are.

I do hope that the indie developers will continue to be and even become more successful in the near future with all the crap the AAA publishers/companies are trying to pull.

Reward creativity and innovation in games.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Good, Fast, Cheap: Pick any two, you can't have all three.

If you're hopping around in the F2P games, you really aren't going to find what you're looking for.  Hell, the quality you want is damned rare even in the AAA MMOs.

And if you're the worst case, where no MMO is ever good enough--can you name any hobby that can entertain you eternally?  On a daily basis?  It's the unrealistic expectation we have for MMOs.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• iNeokiiNeoki Member UncommonPosts: 353

I'm also there with the OP, I've played every last MMORPG, or at least gave them all a good go. The only ones to ever truly hold my interest were Anarchy Online and Pre-NGE SWG.  But even Anarchy Online has died out and no players hardly remain.  I really really hope SWTOR does pull through for us, or else I guess I'm stuck playing Battlefield 3 and random zombie co-op games.

TwitchTV: iNeoki

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910

I am grateful I have not become so jaded about games. I have been playing since Everquest 1999 and I still get excited and look forward to games and I truly happy that this is a hobby that can make me happy because so many things in our lives disappoint us already if this aspect goes too I would be a sad panda. 

• CenthanCenthan Member Posts: 483

Originally posted by BlackWatch

I really do think quite a few of us are in the same boat.

We've 'been there/done that'.

I'm still waiting for the 'next generation MMO'.  I'm not sure that I have seen any real 'innovation' in a while that provides the 'hook' that these games did when they were first unleashed upon us.

There are a few games that will be out in the next year that I'm looking forward to... but there really isn't 1 game out right now that holds my attention. 

Same boat here to.  Totally disgusted with the way the genre has gone.

There is a lot of truth in what many people have posted in this thread, but no one will listen because the goal from developers is to make as simple of a game as possible in order to get the most money in.  Everything else is not worth paying attention to in their eyes.

The whole F2P direction everything has gone makes me want to throw up.  I have tried a few of them, more out of curiousity than anything, had a semi-fun time in a couple of them, but there is always this carrot dangling in front of you to entice you to pay more to make things go that much easier in order to have an advantage.  It's ironic that all of these games that started as a monthly subscription model have to go "free" in order to make a profit.  Am I the only one that notices the irony that they make more money claiming to be free??  While I'm not against people making money, I am aganist con artists and false advertising.

The community, in every game, ruined it for me as well, and it's gotten progressively worse through the years when more and more people actually discovered what an MMO was.  There is always some a**hat that ruins the fun for the majority, and there is absolutely no regulation in curbing these degenerates.  Just look at a few (the minority mind you) of the posts in this thread, and you'll see what I mean.  Being bad as become the accepted norm.

So, I'm back to playing mostly single player games.  Currently Medieval Total War 2 (Stainless Steel mod), which is more interesting than any MMO has been out in the last 7 years.  Believe me, I understand the pain from most of you.

• VormirVormir Member UncommonPosts: 135

Well, I've about had it. I've played all kinds of MMORPG's, EVE, EQ2, vanguard, ryzom, AOC, anarchy online, global agenda, beyond protocol, black prophecy, neocron 2(the best of them all, by a wide margin) SWG, matrix online, and many more.

nothing holds my interest. I've spent a lot of time, money and so on. it feels like I'm playing the same game over and over, with a different skin. EVE is a standout; but CCP lost my trust. once you're down to arguing about monocles, I pick up a book, ya know?

I'm the problem; my mind needs to be engaged(EVE did that but it's going down), I like sci-fi, I like flying things, I like virtual open worlds, I like persistence, I like player housing, but(and I can't stress this enough) IF I SEE ONE MORE FUCKING ELF IN MY LIFE I WILL GO ON A  JIHAD. I can't take it anymore. plus MMO's seem to all be going P2W, not just P2P. guess its time to hang it up. hell even SWTOR, with all the money in the world to spend, decided that a STAR WARS game should have space on rails. WTF..

Pretty much the same here.

Stopped playing MMO's 2 months ago and I'm focusing on single player games.

Maybe one day I'll find a game that will make me go back. I did pre-order SWTOR so my hopes lie with Bioware. If this fails, I'll leave MMOs for good.

I do love the concept of MMO's, but few games deliver. And the ones that do, I can't play them anymore... got burned out.

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

I too am bored with the same old game design over and over again. How many times can you do the same thing and still find it new and exciting?

Like many other who have posted in this thread I am right there with the op. I don't want to kill 10 wolves or collect Troll ears any more. I dont want to have to a raid a boss that does not seem like much of a threat because it never leaves it's dungeon. I don't want to do these trivial things because they have no impact on the world I am in and usually they are not fun for me. They are just a means to an end. I am just bored with the endless hamster wheel of gear. I run and run but never get anywhere.

I would love to see something different. Not just VO or some other gimmick that will get old in a month or two.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

I havent logged into my subscription mmo in a week...

Personally I think i may just take an extended mmorpg vacation until GW2 hits the scene.

I don't know if its the quality of games or just me being bored with playing the same types of games.

I now come home after work looking forward to my Steam games list...

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• RhevinRhevin Member UncommonPosts: 611

Originally posted by Z3R01

Personally I think i may just take an extended mmorpg vacation until GW2 hits the scene.

I don't know if its the quality of games or just me being bored with playing the same types of games.

Same here. I queue up my EVE skills when I'm under 24h. I played for a couple hours last night. I played World of Warcraft since release. Stopped this April. Went back about a month ago. Made another 85 and now I'm bored again.

I've  been loading up my single player games again. Been playing Mass Effect 2 and Deadspace 2 for now. Once those are done, I may give Dragon Age: Origins another go. I played that for a few days and didn't care for. I have it sitting next to my keyobard so I'm thinking I may reinstall it.

I am going to give GW2 a shot though. I played GW1 off and on. I never really gave it a chance because I was too addicted to World of Warcraft at the time though. =P

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Originally posted by Rhevin

Same here. I queue up my EVE skills when I'm under 24h. I played for a couple hours last night. I played World of Warcraft since release. Stopped this April. Went back about a month ago. Made another 85 and now I'm bored again.

I've  been loading up my single player games again. Been playing Mass Effect 2 and Deadspace 2 for now. Once those are done, I may give Dragon Age: Origins another go. I played that for a few days and didn't care for. I have it sitting next to my keyobard so I'm thinking I may reinstall it.

I am going to give GW2 a shot though. I played GW1 off and on. I never really gave it a chance because I was too addicted to World of Warcraft at the time though. =P

There should be a support group of old mmorpg players that gravitate toward single player  games lol. I swear every mmo gamer i talk to is doing the same thing. I just picked up the new crysis bundle off of gamestop Digital download for 32 bucks, all three games... Man i wish a mmo could give me that level of control and atmosphere. 

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• RivalenRivalen Member Posts: 503

Originally posted by Rhevin

There should be a support group of old mmorpg players that gravitate toward single player  games lol. I swear every mmo gamer i talk to is doing the same thing. I just picked up the new crysis bundle off of gamestop Digital download for 32 bucks, all three games... Man i wish a mmo could give me that level of control and atmosphere. 

On the same boat, only for longer, i don't really count trying Rift as playing a MMO.

I'm just sick of all the trinity games and hoping for something different, don't think i'll even play SW:ToR unless my friends "force" me to do it.

GW2 is my only hope at this point.

• riptipriptip Member Posts: 10

Reading the posts here I find out that I too feel the same about today’s MMORPGS. Although I have my heart stolen by AoC it is far from the game I want to play. As a gamer playing for 12 years I have seen a lot, and as an indie developer I have researched a lot. The thing is that in the past pretty much every game-developing studio was indie in a sense. They had time to imagine new things, if they didn’t games wouldn’t have reached such state. Now they have investors, no time (meeting deadlines assigned by the Investors) to realize their innovations and let their imagination go wild. So I think games will get dumber and dumber with the excuse of making them more accessible for the current generation of gamers. And in the end game developing is a JOB just like selling fruits and vegetables and spending three years on developing an engine and probably five more making a game out of this engine requires MONEY. We have either to stick to the games we are given or wait for more studios like CD Project (The Witcher) who actually give a s**t about their games and customers. That is the saddest truth…

Sorry for the long post guys, a touchy topic for me :)

• lostkosslostkoss Member Posts: 149

Yep. I am also in this (much larger than I thought) same boat.

Logged out ow WoW in April and have been bouncing from this F2P to the next. DDO is fun, but most of them just leave me bored after a day or two.

Dusted off my PS3 and have been playing that more than ever before. At least the games have something different to offer.Played the heck out of Mass Effect 1+2  a couple months ago, but even shooting aliens in the head gets old after a while.

I'm not counting on Biowares new MMO to be the next Video Messiah, but I sure hope the stories keep me playing longer than a month or two. Well there is Skyrim and some other stuff coming down the pipe, maybe a month or 3 is all the chance Bioware is gonna get.

Have a sense of humor, no need to get ALL MODDY ! :) A Simpson's quote shouldn't be worth a warning. You are lucky anyone is bothering to read this rag.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

There are a lot of good single player RPG's for the PC worth checking out if you haven't played any within the past few years.

The general gaming boards can give you some good recommendations.

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

Originally posted by Icewhite

Good, Fast, Cheap: Pick any two, you can't have all three.

If you're hopping around in the F2P games, you really aren't going to find what you're looking for.  Hell, the quality you want is damned rare even in the AAA MMOs.

And if you're the worst case, where no MMO is ever good enough--can you name any hobby that can entertain you eternally?  On a daily basis?  It's the unrealistic expectation we have for MMOs.

Careful now ;)

Reading, cooking, travelling immediately come to mind.

With that said, you're right... the MMO industry is in some ways a danger unto itself. They want you to pay per month, and play per month which very often leads to burnout.

I think people would be a lot more appreciating of the genre if they never felt compelled to do anything besides have fun. (Of course you'll get the nutzos who enjoy playing 18 hours a day, day after day)

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.

• tochicooltochicool Member Posts: 153

Woah, dude!

As some other guys has said, there are load more games out there that you'vw not played. If you tryied all of 'em then get of the computer and go do something with your life...

FEEL THE FULL
    FREE-TO-FLAME
    FANTASY.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Sigh, alas I have to agree. I pretty much feel the same.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert