Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fallen Earth goes Free2Play October 12th

SzabtomSzabtom Member Posts: 38

http://fallenearth.gamersfirst.com/2011/09/free2play-details-and-more.html

The free pack is much more generous than I had expected. No limit on trading, mailing or using the auction house. Character progression is slower, though, and crafting is limited to 8 hours per day (but should still be enough for casual players like me). Customer Support is not available for free accounts which seems a bit strange to me ("Online Knowledge Base"). Perhaps it  means that free accounts cannot log help tickets or contact GM-s? 

Comments

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Originally posted by Szabtom

Customer Support is not available for free accounts which seems a bit strange to me

CS is very expensive.  It drags down an otherwise profitable game.

The F2P sounds great.  This is one on my I want to play that when I get time.  I wish I could have been around for launch.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • I worry that offer is a little too good. I might actually be tempted to downgrade, although I think my wish to support a smaller dev team might outweigh that, at least as long as GF don't start using it to over-push the store.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by CyanSword
    I worry that offer is a little too good. I might actually be tempted to downgrade, although I think my wish to support a smaller dev team might outweigh that, at least as long as GF don't start using it to over-push the store.

Their free accounts sounds a lot like what I actually did when I played the game. I ran some missions and killed a lot of bugs, but mostly I gathered materials and figured out how the crafting system progression worked. I think I cooked a lot of stuff. I don't think I ever spent 8 hours a day doing it though.

Seems like they are allowing suppliers to play mostly for free, so the raiders and pvp people have plenty of people to supply them stuff.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• DrolkinDrolkin Member UncommonPosts: 246

The PvP at end game is at it's best atm.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by ActionMMORPG

Customer Support is not available for free accounts which seems a bit strange to me

The F2P sounds great.  This is one on my I want to play that when I get time.  I wish I could have been around for launch.

The launch was very rough, which is why the game sank into Free to Play territory in the first place. It's a shame because they've finally been sorting out most of issues with the game that turned so many people away... but most people won't give the game a second chance.

Personally I don't like the Freemium model, so I won't be coming back to the game, despite them otherwise having corrected most of the issues I had with the game.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Dont be fooled about the 8hr crafting though. You can easily reach 8hours per day. This could become a problem for rifle and pistols users. Crafting ammo is not fast and you need loads. Unless you keep it at just crafting ammo and not much else.

Still, Im very glad that you can use mail, the broker and full storage as f2p. Thas more generous then I expected.

• WaldoCornWaldoCorn Member UncommonPosts: 235

I spoke with a GM the other day, about my account. I was concerned that I would be relegated to 1 character slot, as suggested in their f2p blog. As I havent paid a subscription fee in a while, and recently returned to the game on a 3 month key, this is what I thought would be the case, but evidently no. From what the GM told me I will keep the features of my account since I was subed and my account is now active, for free.

Im hoping many of the former players return, build calns back up etc. As it is, from what Ive seen, there just isn't much going on, as there was when I played before.

The RP community seems, to be active, but PvP end-game wise, meh, pretty lack luster. Some fights yes, but actual Clan Battles, havent seen any, or even heard of any happening in many months.

See the world and all within it.
    Live a lifetime in every minute.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Blah, who cares. They ruined this game with their damn NGE-style "revamp".

Originally posted by Wharg0ul

Blah, who cares. They ruined this game with their damn NGE-style "revamp".

You know when I use to play I did alot better than I do now. I always have had trouble with hot keys, but I could manage to fire off a few heals and keep lead going doing down range.

But now, shit man it's a bitch, if anything it seems like they have made the game even more dependant on injectors, and mutations almost worthless. Poisons and injectors and consumable fru fru powder. To the one with the most fairy dust goes the spoils.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

The free pack is much more generous than I had expected. No limit on trading, mailing or using the auction house. Character progression is slower, though, and crafting is limited to 8 hours per day (but should still be enough for casual players like me). Customer Support is not available for free accounts which seems a bit strange to me ("Online Knowledge Base"). Perhaps it  means that free accounts cannot log help tickets or contact GM-s? 

LOL, 8 hours of crafting each day? Anyone who actually spend more crafting time have no life even with MMO player standards. :D

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Originally posted by Loke666

LOL, 8 hours of crafting each day? Anyone who actually spend more crafting time have no life even with MMO player standards. :D

Crafting is done in real time. You can craft while offline, which is how most of us riflemen make our ammo.....set a batch to go over night, and wake up with enough ammo to play for a day.

Vehicles take literally days to craft. You don't have to stand there and do it though, you just make sure you have the componants, and click the button....and wait. You can go do other things while the crafting is taking place in the background.

Originally posted by WaldoCorn

I spoke with a GM the other day, about my account. I was concerned that I would be relegated to 1 character slot, as suggested in their f2p blog. As I havent paid a subscription fee in a while, and recently returned to the game on a 3 month key, this is what I thought would be the case, but evidently no. From what the GM told me I will keep the features of my account since I was subed and my account is now active, for free.

Im hoping many of the former players return, build calns back up etc. As it is, from what Ive seen, there just isn't much going on, as there was when I played before.

The RP community seems, to be active, but PvP end-game wise, meh, pretty lack luster. Some fights yes, but actual Clan Battles, havent seen any, or even heard of any happening in many months.

Do you know if its possible to merge an old FE account with a new GamersFirst account if its inactive?

Originally posted by someforumguy

Do you know if its possible to merge an old FE account with a new GamersFirst account if its inactive?

Yes, that is exactly what I had to do. In my case I had to send an e mail to support, which was easy, in my case. Within about 24 hrs I had a reply from a GM, with instructions (I could'nt get GF to recognize my E mail PW or anything) but after getting the instructions it went just fine. And as I noticed the GM had checked all my toons and made sure their in game mail worked, etc etc.

I was worried at first, but simply expressed my concern , and they took care of everything, with simple instructions.

I had already made a Gamers First account, and that didnt foul anything up.

I will say that the GM's are very respondant, especially in game. Evidently GF uses older servers, than Icarus did, and some folks have gotten locked in area's, yet, the GM's are available 24/7, and can be contacted by PM, via the social panel, in game.

Additionally one may wish to check the Alien Ware site, as Ive been told they were giving out game time keys, also one may wish to ask about the recent 7 day promo, from GF, when contacting support, it's worth a shot.

As I stated earlier it seems that an active account's features will stay in place, provided that account is active on the day the game goes F2P, or this was my understanding.

Originally posted by someforumguy

Yes, that is exactly what I had to do. In my case I had to send an e mail to support, which was easy, in my case. Within about 24 hrs I had a reply from a GM, with instructions (I could'nt get GF to recognize my E mail PW or anything) but after getting the instructions it went just fine. And as I noticed the GM had checked all my toons and made sure their in game mail worked, etc etc.

I was worried at first, but simply expressed my concern , and they took care of everything, with simple instructions.

I had already made a Gamers First account, and that didnt foul anything up.

I will say that the GM's are very respondant, especially in game. Evidently GF uses older servers, than Icarus did, and some folks have gotten locked in area's, yet, the GM's are available 24/7, and can be contacted by PM, via the social panel, in game.

Additionally one may wish to check the Alien Ware site, as Ive been told they were giving out game time keys, also one may wish to ask about the recent 7 day promo, from GF, when contacting support, it's worth a shot.

As I stated earlier it seems that an active account's features will stay in place, provided that account is active on the day the game goes F2P, or this was my understanding.

I wasnt planning to sub again before it goes F2P , so Ill see then what will happen with my 2 toons I have atm on my account. Its good to know that the GM's are still that fast though. I liked that back when I played too. They were quite fast with helping if you were stuck or found a bugged quest.

Ill check the websites you mentioned, thanks.

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

I dont care they go F2P but what i dont like is how they treat their current subscribers.  They are basicly saying, thanks for your support oh and btw if you want the best from our game it's gonna cost you 5$ more per month.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

My one and only question (with some banter after said question is asked):

Is the old radio station still up and running (the one where we used to gather around the satellite in Umbry - or whatever it was called...)? 

I'm an older dude, grew up with P&P D&D, when Role Playing mattered.  I'd lost a lot of the old RP mojo until I found FE; suddenly, via this awesome radio station, I was RPing my butt off.  Didn't really accomplish much in game, but that was secondary.  I met a lot of cool people around that satellite.

I highly doubt it's stil in existence, but man, once my new rig arrives in a week or so (most recent rig blew up BAD), I think I might enjoy me some RP in FE.

-Farg Igorg, formerly of Drifters

ps Drifters still around?

Wow Drifters, I seem to remember that name from the past, but I dont know that Ive seen any around these last few weeks Ive played, tho they could be.

Ive gone to a few RP events and the ppl sponsoring them did have radio going and were anouncing the web address in Global.

Im not sure about Umbry, in fact never did know about the sat station there, sorry I missed that.

I think if you like RP you would find some good times. Not much of an RPer myself, however I do like chilling and listening to tunes, after a day of grinding, or whatever.

Check http://fallenearth.rp-haven.com/  prolly get some good info there.

• djnexusdjnexus Member Posts: 677

Originally posted by ActionMMORPG

I was playing when the game launched and remember it being in beta. Good memories and fun times, I played it like mad. I was one of the first to hit lvl 50 in my guild and then quit playing I may have to go back and check the game out in October.

• HenchdwarfHenchdwarf Member UncommonPosts: 517

i think the game rocks. you can melee a toon to max level, then respecc a crafter...this is sooo much better than the old system.  pvp is now toggleable everywhere, and the graphics have never looked better.  im happy to be back and will continue to pay for the only playable mmo on the market.

• LashleyLashley Member UncommonPosts: 587

So PvP isn't mandatory now? May check it out when its f2p then

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

Originally posted by Lashley

So PvP isn't mandatory now? May check it out when its f2p then

Uhh PvP was never really mandatory that I know of.  It was really easy to just drive around any open PvP areas and the game always made both sound and visual warnings that you were about to ENTER a PVP area, hehe.

Originally posted by Aguitha

I dont care they go F2P but what i dont like is how they treat their current subscribers.  They are basicly saying, thanks for your support oh and btw if you want the best from our game it's gonna cost you 5$ more per month.

If a current subscriber wants to enjoy the game in the same way as he/she now does, itll be $5 cheaper per month.

What you are saying is that you think that current subscribers should get all extras for free. Why not add free shop items too while you're at it?

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

Originally posted by Aguitha

Then you're not paying attention. The Commander tier of subscription is better than what players are getting now for $15 a month, and the fact that they're lowering the cost of Commander 33% for anyone who has ever purchased a Fallen Earth key, not just those subscribed right now, shows better treatment than a good number of other MMOs that have gone free to paly.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

Tried searching couldn't find an answer.

When they are switching to the f2p version will there be a character wipe or can I safely start playing the free trial now and will have it later after the update? (I started a toon and I hate restarting fresh so I stopped very early into the game tough still would suck redoing the first few missions.)

• PioneerStewPioneerStew Member Posts: 874

I really want to like this game, but my problem is that it is just too big and sparsely populated.  Now I don't want a game to be marginally larger than my living room like some (*cough* Rift) but I want the sense that there are other people playing and once I left the first area I just didn't get that feeling with Fallen Earth.  To me the attraction of single player games is storyline and interaction with NPC's and the attraction of MMO's is interaction with players, or at least the sense that other players are around.  This game had neither after the first 20 levels which is why I quit.  Hopefully F2P will bring more people in.