Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Item shops is a huge succes

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Its incredible how much some/most people spend in the ingame item store.... Seeing this in EQ2E tells me how that this is the game model of the future, even cosmetic items sell big time...

I allways tought i would hate this, but i kind of think this is what makes games profittable for the future.... sad thing is that in EQ2 on top of that you actually need Gold subscription to enjoy the game as it was intended to be...

A well, without buying the items everyone else does i am having a blast replaying this goldn oldie.... just wayting for te moment that some fool in a raid group says, you can't join my raid group without item X from the item shop..... Then i will start laughing so hard...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

eq2x store has had no adventure gear for over 2 months

the noncosmetic stuff:   mounts, exp potions, tradeskill harvests, ammo

there is also an instant kill wand that works on nonnameds once per 5minutes

(the wand is the only thing I dont like on the store)

all the armor / weapons are for "appearance only" on the store, purely cosmetic

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Originally posted by Nadia

eq2x store has had no adventure gear for over 2 months

the noncosmetic stuff:   mounts, exp potions, tradeskill harvests, ammo

there is also an instant kill wand that works on nonnameds once per 5minutes

(the wand is the only thing I dont like on the store)

all the armor / weapons are for "appearance only" on the store, purely cosmetic

They removed the Mastercrafted gear? Last time I checked you could buy it for every tier.

its been removed for the last 2 months

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Cosmetic or not, i see people spending SC currency like it are german marks from back in the 1930's. Cosmetic gear sells big time this prommises a lot for GW2's model.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by Nadia

its been removed for the last 2 months

I'm assuming you mean in EQ2X NOT in regular EQ2, right?  Because my master tailor (and I) will be really pissed if MC gear has been removed.....

Do I understand you right that MC gear was available in the Marketplace (item store)?????   What did THAT do to crafters??!!

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• AtaakaAtaaka Member UncommonPosts: 213

Yep... wish I had thought of it.

• VahraneVahrane Member UncommonPosts: 376

Hopefully, once a few new games come out and these eager beaver spenders that  willing throw money at anything and everything to upgrade a virtual experience will get hellaciously tired of running the cash shop gamut and sinking RL cash into meaningless fluff so those of us who started playing these games at their onset, when peacockery and served up easy mode were not the mainstays of the industry, can simply log in, once again, without the constant sale-a-thons!

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

A guy spending $100 a month on average in an item shop can easily make up for several gamers paying subscriptions. The success of item shops doesn't necessarily mean more people accept them.

A game can survice on a cash shop alone, but catering to less players. As long as the money spent in the store offsets how many paid subscriptions they could have gotten without one.

• VahraneVahrane Member UncommonPosts: 376

Originally posted by Starpower

A guy spending $100 a month on average in an item shop can easily make up for several gamers paying subscriptions. The success of item shops doesn't necessarily mean more people accept them.

A game can survice on a cash shop alone, but catering to less players. As long as the money spent in the store offsets how many paid subscriptions they could have gotten without one.

Yea, the monetary transactions sanctioned by the developers of these games wouldn't be such a tough pill to swallow if it weren't for the slow but sure descent into games designed around their cash shops instead of fun rpg concepts (like enviromental hazards: weather, flora, fauna) as well as a cheapening of the game experience you are given through the inclusion of things like the "Zap! It's dead" wand that was mentioned above.

Originally posted by just1opinion

Do I understand you right that MC gear was available in the Marketplace (item store)?????   What did THAT do to crafters??!!

yes, EQ2X item store used to sell MC gear -- but the Store MC gear has been removed since July

whether it comes back, remains to be seen

• From what I understood, the MC gear for sale was a "temporary" thing until a lot of crafters had leveled up. I don't see it coming back.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

In order to maintain equal or better ARPU compared to a subscription game, with the current average of paying users in a F2P being approx 10-15%, a F2P MMO needs significantly more players. Using real numbers, the ARPPU for a game would have to be 10-12 times the amount of a monthly subscription to cater to less players than an equivalent subscription game, and numbers right now don't show anything coming remotely close.

While it's possible for the scenario you describe to happen, there's nothing to really indicate it is probable.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• eugameugam Member UncommonPosts: 984

I LOL'd a bit about this thread. Pure nonsense.

EQ2x is one server since launch and there is no sign this will change anytime soon. Its a fail.  The shop there is a tiny little milk cow. The success of the shop on the P2P servers is based on gifting, which is nothing else but semi legal RMT. Else it would be a big failure too.

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Originally posted by Loktofeit

In order to maintain equal or better ARPU compared to a subscription game, with the current average of paying users in a F2P being approx 10-15%, a F2P MMO needs significantly more players. Using real numbers, the ARPPU for a game would have to be 10-12 times the amount of a monthly subscription to cater to less players than an equivalent subscription game, and numbers right now don't show anything coming remotely close.

While it's possible for the scenario you describe to happen, there's nothing to really indicate it is probable.

That 10% is for active players only, not straight up user. Check the arpu of Runescape in your link and see how this fit. If you use the number of account opponed as many f2p games use to show up their success, then the % sink by a lot, its more like 1% imo. Once more check the Runescape number, if an usual transaction is 10$ per month, then you would need around 100 user to get a 0.1 ARPU per month and user (i rounded the number for the sake of it).

• RazeronRazeron Member Posts: 180

The Itammall wasn't a big deal, and I think basic services offered in such a fashion is a good idea.

(Name change, race change, toy mounts and the like)

But regardless of whether or not I enjoy the game (I think it's pretty damn great in all aspects) I simply hate Sony and distrust them.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006

Still a good game at heart but it's gotten easier + item shop

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• EverSkellyEverSkelly Member UncommonPosts: 341

If people can choose between P2P and F2P, they choose P2P.

The everquest2 F2P version has 1 server, there's not enough people to open the second one.

Thus all quality games are choosing P2P model. The shitty ones go the F2P way.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Originally posted by EverSkelly

If people can choose between P2P and F2P, they choose P2P.

The everquest2 F2P version has 1 server, there's not enough people to open the second one.

Thus all quality games are choosing P2P model. The shitty ones go the F2P way.

Compared to the live servers, there are many many more people in low and mid level ranges on the X servers...

On the X servers people can level as its supposed to be...

The main difference between the (free)port server and the other ones is the fact that its a lot bigger and it can hold more people then the regular servers... so instead of adding more servers, they keep expanding the (Free)port server.... Yesterday there where 3 different instances of the butcherblock mountais available .. and even 2 of the enchanted lands...

While on live servers antonia Bayle (the most populated one... the Butcherblock mountains where as empty as the deserts of Ro.

• EverSkellyEverSkelly Member UncommonPosts: 341

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Compared to the live servers, there are many many more people in low and mid level ranges on the X servers...

On the X servers people can level as its supposed to be...

The main difference between the (free)port server and the other ones is the fact that its a lot bigger and it can hold more people then the regular servers... so instead of adding more servers, they keep expanding the (Free)port server.... Yesterday there where 3 different instances of the butcherblock mountais available .. and even 2 of the enchanted lands...

While on live servers antonia Bayle (the most populated one... the Butcherblock mountains where as empty as the deserts of Ro.

How do you know the "free" server is bigger and can hold more people than the live ones? Is it your guess?

Also, all F2P games have high population at low tiers, because it's "FREE" for everyone. You can just try the game, log in for free and hang around whenever you want. If people are serious about the game and want to reach the end-game at some point, they rather go the P2P way, instead of buying the content piece by piece in the F2P version of it.