Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LF skill based MMO

uncleFesteruncleFester Member Posts: 38

By skill based I mean no classes, just pick what you want to do as you play. A game like Asheron's Call would be ideal, where you get xp from using your skills, etc. Are there any games like this still around? Thanks

Comments

• 3st4x3st4x Member Posts: 2

only one i can think of really (skill xp for using skills) is the old SWG. SWGEmu is this version and is in the open testing stages.

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

FFXIV? :P

When you say skill, do you mean player skill (shooter/action combat) or character skill (FFXIV/EvE Online)?

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• Cpt_PicardCpt_Picard Member Posts: 300

Mmm, Mortal Online, Darkfall, Runescape... Also, an old favorite, Eternal Lands.

Make it so...

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

Darkfall Online is the best game that follows that formula.

• uncleFesteruncleFester Member Posts: 38

Darkfall looks good, I think I'll check that out. BTW I like your sig, don't see Dark Helmet quotes that often heh.

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

If you dont mind a low population and free for all looting after getting owned, then probrobly Darkfall is your game.

**Goes to Germany to show Supermodel Jordan Carver how to make delicious Struddels in the oven!**

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

There was a thread on the forums not too long ago that had a long list of skill-based MMOs. I can't seem to find it atm. I'll edit the link in if I find it.

Well that didn't take long.

Current List of Released Graphical Classless Skill-based Progression MMORPGs

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• TertiaryTertiary Member Posts: 53

Originally posted by uncleFester

By skill based I mean no classes, just pick what you want to do as you play. A game like Asheron's Call would be ideal, where you get xp from using your skills, etc. Are there any games like this still around? Thanks

Asheron's Call is still around.

Originally posted by RavingRabbid

If you dont mind a low population and free for all looting after getting owned, then probrobly Darkfall is your game.

**Goes to Germany to show Supermodel Jordan Carver how to make delicious Struddels in the oven!**

Well damn, I didn't know it was PvP only, I'm not really into that. Guess I'll keep looking,

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

If your looking for somthing like Asherons Call you could just stop now because you wont find it.  trust me i have searched for years and allways end up back in AC, nothing comes close to how good it is.

Originally posted by Tertiary

Originally posted by uncleFester

Asheron's Call is still around.

Yeah I played the trial a few years ago, it's just not the same as it was went it was released. I don't mind the dated graphics but the game just seems way too easy now for some reason.

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

Originally posted by DrunkWolf

If your looking for somthing like Asherons Call you could just stop now because you wont find it.  trust me i have searched for years and allways end up back in AC, nothing comes close to how good it is.

Can you describe in detail what's so good about it? I've tried the trial a few times, but the game didn't seem all that special. I'd love to be convinced otherwise.

• TertiaryTertiary Member Posts: 53

I believe you can get up to level 360 or something now... I can't imagine you managed that in a 14-day trial. ;)  Getting to level 60ish was always easy and could probably be accomplished in two weeks, but the high-end content has continued to evolve from what I've seen (granted, I have not paid close attention to the game for half a decade).

The appeal of AC was and will continue to be its social dynamic (with the allegiance system) and skill-based progression.  Whatever you choose to play, you'll end up having to drop a few dollars... might as well drop them on something you know is well made first and maybe trying out a few other games later if it turns out AC really is too easy for you.

Originally posted by Jimmac

Can you describe in detail what's so good about it? I've tried the trial a few times, but the game didn't seem all that special. I'd love to be convinced otherwise.

well personally i like PVP and skill based games so its perfect for myself. you can dodge magic and arrows, i love the random loot system and i love the fact that there isnt classes.

there have been monthly updates for 11 years so there is a ton of content in the game. there is allways somthing to do and you dont need to find healers or tanks you just go off with your friends and do your thing.

what did you not like about it? the only thing i can think of is the fact that the population is low.

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

well personally i like PVP and skill based games so its perfect for myself. you can dodge magic and arrows, i love the random loot system and i love the fact that there isnt classes.

there have been monthly updates for 11 years so there is a ton of content in the game. there is allways somthing to do and you dont need to find healers or tanks you just go off with your friends and do your thing.

what did you not like about it? the only thing i can think of is the fact that the population is low.

I didn't know there was PVP. Good PVP is a big plus. The graphics were messed up on my computer (which is my fault, not the games). I couldn't really get anyone to talk to me, except one guy who was super helpful. I didn't see anyone at all in the world.

Honestly there was nothing about the game I disliked. I just didn't see anything that I thought was going to reach out and grab me. I probably should have given it more time (I did the trial at least twice, playing for around 8 hours both times), but I'm cranky and lazy after trying so many failure mmo's.

I didn't know there was PVP. Good PVP is a big plus. The graphics were messed up on my computer (which is my fault, not the games). I couldn't really get anyone to talk to me, except one guy who was super helpful. I didn't see anyone at all in the world.

Honestly there was nothing about the game I disliked. I just didn't see anything that I thought was going to reach out and grab me. I probably should have given it more time (I did the trial at least twice, playing for around 8 hours both times), but I'm cranky and lazy after trying so many failure mmo's.

yeah there is a PVP server that is open pvp, and what i mean by open pvp i mean real harsh pvp. at level 1 you are fair game to anybody and you drop some loot on death. but even on the pve servers you can find pvp alot of the times but mostly at higher level, they have whats called pvplite you dont drop anything on death.

as a solo player trying the game for the first time it would be really hard to get into it in my opinion because i mean lets face it. the game is 11 years old the population isnt the best, most people are really high level and unless you know whats going on in the game it will take you some time to level up. if you had some friends to do the trial with you i bet you would have alot better time with it. you guys could just explore the world and find your own fun, those were the best days in AC just logging in and saying, " lets go check out this area ".

level doesnt hold  you back from doing stuff, you can try to go anywhere on the map as long as your good enough to kill the mobs.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

Istaria lets you level up any number of things. works like a skill based mmo at least, even if its not a pure one.

only other one i can think of Fallen Earth.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse