Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: Users Unlikely to play the RMAH Market

124»

Comments

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Originally posted by expresso

Originally posted by zethcarn

People seem to forget Diablo 3 is not an mmorpg.  It's a single player or co-op game with 4 players maximum depending on how you play it.  There is no competitve edge like you would normally see in an mmorpg.  It has been stated numerous times the game will not be balanced around PvP but rather to be a fun co-op experience.  I don't give a damn how the average Joe wants to spend his money,  because it has very LITTLE effect on me.  If anything, a player with bought gear will probably only make your runs a tad easier (if he/she isn't an idiot).

Secondly,  I really doubt most people are going to spend real $$ to gear up every slot on their character.  Most likely they will be missing that single peice of gear that makes up a whole Set and be left with two choices:  Farm it and hope you get it (1-5% chance) or go buy it with gold or cash.  

Lastly,  Diablo 3 is free to play (after the intial box price),  there is no shame in Blizzard getting their cut off the RMAH to maintain the battle.net servers in which we will play on.   The rest of the money could go to releasing patches or developing the expansions.

What this guy said.

I concur as well^^

Everyone needs to stop being so damned concerned with how such and such spends their money and time.  Just play how you like to play and ignore those that buy their way ~ its how we've been doing it to this point already, but now its just legit & sanctioned this time.

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 476

LOL

To suggest that players won't take advantage of the new market system is to display a total lack of understanding of how Diablo 2 changed the Dibalo franchise, and how it changed the perspective of the hundreds of thousands of gamers that played D2 online.

RMT wasn't a limited factor in Diablo 2. It was a persistent issue for Blizzard, something they tried very, very hard to fix on a number of occassions but something that they ultimately failed to address throughout the long life of the game. Duping, botting, etc were rife on ladder and non-ladder servers, and Blizzard really had no idea how to deal with it.

With World of Warcraft Blizzard tried a new appraoch (later in the games life) and that was to hyperinflate the currency in the game, and make it easily attainable for players. This had two effects. Firstly it removed gold as a viable currency for high end items, which is why the game ow uses a token system (a totally seperate economy very loosely tied to the value of gold (and only through proxy services such as echants and the like)). The second thing it did was to near-totally destory the economic system of the game. In one foul swoop Blizzard ruined a very compelling area of the game, and that was something they regreted doing.

With Diablo 3 the solution had to be different. Warden isn't as powerful as they had hoped, and the rest of the industry is moving in the direction of integrating real world currency with their economic systems, combating the impact of RMT by controlling and lightly regulating it. Games like Eve have already taken this step, and more games are intending to do so in the future. This was always going to be an angle Blizzard would explore.

What Blizzard have done is, frankly, genius. They've created a system whereby legitimate player-to-player and service-provider-to-player trades can be used to make real world money without harshly impacting on the in game economy. And on top of that Blizzard makes a percentage on every legitimate trade. This not only benefits players but also beneftis Blizzard, as it creates a status quo between organisations like IGE and Mogs, forever altering the way we perceive these service providers.

I think that you will see widespread use of the system by top end gamers, as well as existig RMT companies. I don't think it's going to shunned, but I do think it'll take players a vast amount of time to get used to the system. Those who did not play D2 online for any length of time will NOT understand why this system is a good thing; I don't expect them to. However those of us who did, those of us with some semblence of basic intelligence, will understand perfectly why this is a brilliant solution to a problem that would have ruined online interaction between players.