Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should have gone F2P

2»

Comments

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Originally posted by Vlad_Tepes

They destroyed the great potential of this game years ago, I'm amazed it is even still going. 

Beyond my thoughts on the game, if you love the game, have had fun all this time playing it, awesome. I'm glad you found years of fun with it. That's what games are for after all.

What I don't understand is why when it's so obviously finished now are players wasting what time they do have left trying to keep it going, debating the how or why of it's closing on a forum, etc. Go PLAY it!

It's done. Sorry. But nothing is going to change that. Play the Hell out of it until it's closed for good while you can. Than move on. It's a game. Gather up your friends and find a new one. 

I've had 8 great years of fun with the game too bad there is no proper replacement for it :(

• Leviathon77Leviathon77 Member UncommonPosts: 42

Only thing close is SWGEmu. It's free, pre NGE but unfortunately I don't think it'll ever get out of beta stage. Though with SWGs doors closing for good, perhaps some renewed interest and a population (can I say?) boom will rally the troops and progress will be made.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Originally posted by superniceguy

Originally posted by jpnz

Like I said, I'm not going to put any 'faith' to what 'my uncle went to a fan faire and this is what they said'.

If you want to read something that isn't there then you are free to do so.

I will read what is there and the factual statements being made.

What Tiars posted is what Smedley said. What you have read from Smedleys statement is wrong

Why did SOE give 6 months notice and why is SWG shutting down in 2011 and not 2012 when the contract ends? Give me solid answers and not speculation. If you can not answer these then you can not gain any facts from Smedleys statement

If you wish to believe a CEO of a global company will speak on behalf of ANOTHER global company, you are free to do so.

Here's the larger quote btw.

"Back in 2001, not '03 when we launched, but back in 2001 when we [first] negotiated it, a five year license seemed like a really long god damn time," Smedley said. "EverQuest was only a year or so old at that point. Could we have renegotiated? Maybe, but I don't think that would be the right thing for the company."

I don't think the 'company' in that line is Lucas Arts since the CEO of SONY is talking.

You can read what you like but to try and convince anyone that Smedley talks about LA in the text 'I don't think that would be the right thing for the company." probably won't work.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Originally posted by jpnz

You can read what you like but to try and convince anyone that Smedley talks about LA in the text 'I don't think that would be the right thing for the company." probably won't work.

Smedley is not talking about LA in that bit. The company is SOE. If you think I am trying to say LA is the "company" in that bit, then you can not read stuff right.

The "WE" in "Could WE have renegotiad?" is LA and SOE

SOE is unable to run SWG without a licence from LA, so obvciously the two have to be in negotiations over the licence to carry on.

6 months notice is a long time, and if SOE was purely involved in not renewing the contract I seriously doubt they would have given 6 months notice for it, and end it early in 2011 and not 2012 when the contract actually ends. SOE lost a lot of money when they announced the closure of SWG, as people quit left right and center, and they also lose revenue from subs for not keeping it going longer right to the end in 2012.

There is more to the events that Smedley is saying, and until you know what they are then you can not gain any facts from what he has said.

• VGTheoryVGTheory Member Posts: 110

Not that I think it will ever happen, but let's presume that SWG is shutting down just to be re-released in some form later:

1. They could restore Pre-CU; or create some hybrid using Pre-CU, CU, and NGE ideas to form a solid game that would appeal to a larger playerbase should SWTOR fail to meet expectations.

-> The primary reason they claimed they could not revert to Pre-CU/CU is because of NGE being patched on top of it (and them "loosing the original code" or whatever the poor excuse was).  With no servers up, they could start from a clean slate, and not have to worry about items converting and the like.  They could devote time to cleaning up and making sure everything works properly, implimenting things like battlefields and atmospheric flight into a Pre-CU style game. 

2. They could ccompletely overhaul the engine and graphics without worrying about breaking things (as if they cared) or having to keep any of the base graphics (which by today's standards are very ugly).

-> If they do not need to worry about breaking current clients, they could do a rework of the whole thing.  They could keep the things that work (crafting) and improve upon it as well (better crafted item models for instance).  The whole thing could undergo a complete upgrade without the  problems it would cause for a "live" MMO doing so.

Not that its going to happen, nor that any vet would trust or pay for a re-release of SWG operated by SOE.