Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

why should i buy starwars mmo and not any other

Comments

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by Jimmac

SWTOR will be the mmorpg equivalent of a Michael Bay movie, so if you buy SWTOR, you should be buying it for the same reasons you would go see a Transformers movie.

Megan Fox's derriere?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by Icewhite

SWTOR will be the mmorpg equivalent of a Michael Bay movie, so if you buy SWTOR, you should be buying it for the same reasons you would go see a Transformers movie.

Megan Fox's derriere?

That was wrong!  Probably true for a lot of people, but still wrong.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

Originally posted by zimboy69

for me starwars  is just a movie  and  and has a  game about it but other than that i only know the main characters and dont know anything else, so the lore of starwars is completely lost on me .

Boy you'd really be lost with this game.  The movie and lore you're talking about is the 'other' game.  This one pretty much has nothing to do with it.  No Darth Vadar - here you get Darth Bubba or Cletus. 

All those things that have worked their way into the American conscience won't be there (although the Dev's in an early interview said they were watching the films and pulling the iconic stuff to use in the game - probably where the smuggler and co-pilot, lightsabers etc... icon's comes from).

TOR is all based  on comic books and books and set about a gazillon years before the movies, unless you're a real fan of those not much of the lore will make sense, which it probably won't for a lot of the players.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

Originally posted by GMan3

Originally posted by Icewhite

Megan Fox's derriere?

That was wrong!  Probably true for a lot of people, but still wrong.

No more wrong than why a bunch of us watched Spartacus;

Xena - topless

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• travamarstravamars Member CommonPosts: 417

Originally posted by parrotpholk

you seem to already know this game would not be for you so why ask?

Yes why.

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673

What I wonder is why are there so many posts of people asking others to convince them to want to try this game, if you have no interest in it why in the world would you want someone to talk you out of a decision you've made, why not look into the myriad of other games on the horizon, there is GW2 which has a good ton of buzz surrounding it and less venom spewed towards it than TOR does Tera,TSW as well.

These types of posts make sense for games like Vanguard where people are dying to have others to play with but TOR fans know they will be in a world that is populated like no other game will it really be a priority for TOR players to try and sell the game to others who are on the fence?

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

SW:TOR is a horrible, horrible game. Stay clear of it.

I just really don't want you to play while I have fun in it.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Buy one mmo and not any other?

Thats just silly.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Hi

Ive been looking at a new mmo for sometime , but im not really into stawars. When i look at the  info on it i cant really see anything  making me  want to play it,as  far i see so far its only   the bog standard mmo  in starwars clothes .

If your not into the lore then what will it offer the general player  who wants to have fun.

Honestly, if you're not into lore or star wars, you probably won't enjoy this game.

It has most of hte features of similar MMOs (like WoW), however, the biggest selling point for this game is the storyline, which is all about star wars lore and setting.  if you're something that isn't going to enjoy that aspect, you're probably better off with a different game.

This isn't a flame, just honest advice.  

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Why should you buy SWTOR op? Because GW2 is gonna mad fail. Its just another shoddily made, paint by numbers, FFA PVP fantasy MMO with no new or revolutionary features , on a shoe string budget, made by an MMO virgin, rinky dink company that no one has ever heard of and has no fan following what so ever.

Or at least that is what I think it is after doing the bare minimum of research on it. GW2 fans wanna help a brother out here and tell me why I should buy GW2 when it is so obviously a peace of tosh I wouldn't be caught dead with?

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• travamarstravamars Member CommonPosts: 417

OP you should play the game so that you can use EA Origin and have spyware on your computer like everybody else playing it.

LMAO!!

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by travamars

OP you should play the game so that you can use EA Origin and have spyware on your computer like everybody else playing it.

LMAO!!

But.. SWTOR.. doesn't require or...  eh.. nah...   

what I meant to say was TOTALLY... 

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Hi

Ive been looking at a new mmo for sometime , but im not really into stawars. When i look at the  info on it i cant really see anything  making me  want to play it,as  far i see so far its only   the bog standard mmo  in starwars clothes .

If your not into the lore then what will it offer the general player  who wants to have fun.

If you can't figure it out on your own, then a game isn't good enough for you.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• B14cKs0LB14cKs0L Member UncommonPosts: 152

I have the same problem...kinda...

As I have become sick of using regular tide Laundry detergent I have resorted to washing my clothes in just piss water. I have been to their web site and they are releacing Tide Ultra XXX Nitro eXtreem in 5 months But I dont think its for me.

So can anyone tell me what this new Laundry detergent has for me? Whats so good about it? I mean it is just soap really, right? Like I said though I have been to the web site , watched a bunch of vids of people washing their clothes with it. They even have a features section talking about it with other users. But yeah..I dont see anything there for me.

Why should I use it? Kinda feel like I should..but just dont like anything about it..Please help!

• spitfire1064spitfire1064 Member Posts: 61

Wait.................are you saying i should sample something myself...............OMG Dot Dot Smileyface. Hold on there are people finally talking about my post on hand sanitizer!

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431
    If KOTOR, ME, ME2, DA:O are games you liked to play. Then the journey in TOR will be similar and fun for you to play. If you like MMOs like WoW, Lotro, Aion, AoC, War, Rift and so on. Then you will like the MMO part of TOR. Simple as that.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• Trident9259Trident9259 Member UncommonPosts: 860

first there is the question if this is, in fact, a star wars mmo. 

after considering the obvious violations to the star wars principles, concept and ideals move on to contemplate if a static, linear gameplay best fits the freedom and rich variety the films portrayed.

passed that, you might conclude that your question is irrelevant. 

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Originally posted by Troneas

first there is the question if this is, in fact, a star wars mmo. 

after considering the obvious violations to the star wars principles, concept and ideals

Knock it off. If you can live with jedi flaunting their sabers during the era of "The Empire Strikes Back,"  then you can live with "Huttball" during the The Old Republic Era. I know it burns your bacon that this game isn't SWG2, but enough with the hypocrisy.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• DahlifyrDahlifyr Member UncommonPosts: 134

If you hate MMO:s, buy and support Swtor.

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

Originally posted by Dahlifyr

Why?

It seems to be employing the most generic MMO tricks in the book.

The only draw to me was that it would be like a BioWare RPG but one that didn't have an end as far as my character is concerned. And the Star Wars IP.

Every thing besides these 2 features (and even they are not original - the companion part of it is like every Bioware RPG) is very typical.

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

Originally posted by empyros

Originally posted by Dahlifyr

Why?

It seems to be employing the most generic MMO tricks in the book.

The only draw to me was that it would be like a BioWare RPG but one that didn't have an end as far as my character is concerned. And the Star Wars IP.

Every thing besides these 2 features (and even they are not original - the companion part of it is like every Bioware RPG) is very typical.

It might be typical for single player RPGS but not for MMORPG. The only other MMO i remember to use companion system is FFXI but even in that game companion system is not that fleshed out. Which MMORPG you last played in which companions could influence your crafting? i could give you laundry list of what else is not typical in SWTOR but i have done it too many times. All info is in sticky on front page if one is interested in learning bit more about the game.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Hi

What do you mean why?

Wait until the open beta or free trial and check it and the rest of the games out, buy the one you enjoy most just like the rest of us.

That you don't like the setting is a minus but it still wont cost you anything to try it out.

As for what fun TOR offers it's players it is mostly the same as most MMOs but with more story, full voice acting and a surprisingly large world from launch.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

I think there is enough information for you decide whether or not you want to purchase the game.  If there isn't, then its probably not for you.  Wait for a free trial then try that.

I self identify as a monkey.

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

Originally posted by Supersoups

It might be typical for single player RPGS but not for MMORPG.

Okay, sure, if you think that will be revolutionary, continue to do so. I think it's a great take on the MMO genre (always wished games like Dragon Age could "go on"). But I can definitely see it getting stale, and FAST. That's the problem with MMOs - things get old, especially if you do it again and again. The more developer-driven the game is, the more such a problem worsens.

i could give you laundry list of what else is not typical in SWTOR but i have done it too many times.

By your choice. Don't get all huffy with me because you're mad about something. It's called displaced anger and it's unwarranted.

All info is in sticky on front page if one is interested in learning bit more about the game.

See above. (The passive aggressive tone also gets old, and fast, btw.)

I'll conclude by saying a lot of what has been said is nothing more than marketing fluff. And I am wise enough to see through it. Am I implying it will be a bad game? No, I am simply saying there is nothing revolutionary about it. If one is not a hardcore SW fan, they will probably not have much to adore about this game aside from the first couple of months, and they will return to their established MMO.

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

Originally posted by empyros

Originally posted by Supersoups

Okay, sure, if you think that will be revolutionary, continue to do so. I think it's a great take on the MMO genre (always wished games like Dragon Age could "go on"). But I can definitely see it getting stale, and FAST. That's the problem with MMOs - things get old, especially if you do it again and again. The more developer-driven the game is, the more such a problem worsens.

yes i will continue to think it is revolutionary because for MMORPG this system is quite new. Tell me one feature in MMO which doesn't get stale orr repetitive? every thing you do in MMO is repeated in some manner. If i start worrying about things getting old and repetitve there is not one MMO worth playing.

By your choice. Don't get all huffy with me because you're mad about something. It's called displaced anger and it's unwarranted.

I am sorry but where did you see my displaced anger? all i did was point to you the feature list and yes everyone one should  read it once so that people don't base their opinions on wrong information.

See above. (The passive aggressive tone also gets old, and fast, btw.)

I'll conclude by saying a lot of what has been said is nothing more than marketing fluff. And I am wise enough to see through it. Am I implying it will be a bad game? No, I am simply saying there is nothing revolutionary about it. If one is not a hardcore SW fan, they will probably not have much to adore about this game aside from the first couple of months, and they will return to their established MMO.

Funny because i am not even a hardcore SW fan, i am more of a Mass Effect fan. And yet in my opinion you are completely wrong. And regarding what will happen to SWTOR after couple of months and how many players will leave...well my crystal ball is gone for polish so i will comment on that later.