Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: PAX 2011 - Hands On with the Asura Guardian

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

During PAX 2011, MMORPG.com Managing Editor Bill Murphy had the opportunity for a hands on experience with Guild Wars 2 which later became the MMORPG.com Best in Show. Bill played the cute but deadly Asura Guardian and has a full report on his experience that you won't want to miss. Keep reading!

He doesn’t just breathe it, he hops up into the air and the sheer force of the flame holds him there as a hovering jet of white-hot flame as my enemies singe and bubble before me. I can say that my lack of true familiarity with the game’s UI (which is looking mighty clean and polished) had me a bit confused. The weapon skills are on one side of the health-meter and the class skills are on the other side. So for most of the time I pretty much used just my weapon skills, but they worked so well I didn’t even notice. There’s a great single-target attack with this weapon set that triple-hits the enemy for some amazing damage too. He leaps off the ground and spins and twirls around as he slices and dices the enemy in mid-air. I’m pretty sure that this weapon combo isn’t intended for the “defense and self-sacrifice” nature of the class. No, it’s meant for killing. And it does its job well.

Read more of Bill Murphy's Guild Wars 2: PAX 2011 - Hands On with the Asura Guardian.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• LeongtiLeongti Member Posts: 37
    Sounds excellent, good review.
  • Master_M2KMaster_M2K Member Posts: 244

Just so you know... Using the standard teleport in GW2 does cost money and it cost more, the further away you are from your target location. But apart from that, good article.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Sounds cool,especially the sword torch combo.I was planning on trying an Asura Guardian as my first character (I also have a thing for the little guy races).This article definitely cemented it for me.
  • MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

Fantastic review.  You succeeded in telling me about things I am actually interested in, such as how the game FEELS and how it MAKES PLAYER FEEL.

These aspects are often left out.  One of the things people loved about Star Wars Galaxies back in the day was the immersion factor, and the community.  When people look at the game from a tech perspective, it's not all that impressive.  But when you talk to players about how much they loved the game, you get the idea they were playing a completely different game.  In fact, they were.  They were part of the world, not just playing a game.

Thanks for the review, but I think you just made it even harder for me to wait for release!

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• fenrisbluefenrisblue Member UncommonPosts: 138

I love the asura , i will be playing one of every class  that will allow it

• AthillianAthillian Member Posts: 104

I wont be playing the asura nor a guardian, but still looks fun.

• semantikronsemantikron Member Posts: 258

I'm not really drawn to the Guardian playstyle, but the sounds generated by the class skills seem to be pretty epic.

Charr: Outta my way.
    Human: What's your problem?
    Charr: Your thin skin.

• lazjenlazjen Member Posts: 17

MindTrigger: AGREED.  This is missing a lot from reviews and discussions.

And I have no idea what race/class combos I'll play when I get GW2.  All I know is that it will be more than 1 character.

• jayartejayarte Member UncommonPosts: 450

Great review, Bill, thanks.  Like others, I also particularly enjoyed reading how you felt as you tried out different aspects of the game.  You painted a very vivid picture, and now I just want to play GW2 already!  Feels like I've been waiting for years ... oh, wait, I have.