Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

45 days of vanguard my adventure begins

jezvinjezvin Member UncommonPosts: 804

I had briefly played Vanguard before, a level 7 disciple still on the island, so SOE decided to give me 45 days. And I have decided to play these days and give this game a shot.

So I would need a good solo class mainly because of such a low population. So I went with a Sorc.

I started my adventure on the island of dawn a brand new level 1 High elf named Jezvin. It was a fantastic morning on this nice island. I started out running towards the shields above the NPCs head, quests... I hate quests... but that’s what games are these days right? So I get these quests and I head out to go level up on some mobs. My first engagement I attack with my arcane spell dealing devastating damage slaying the little muddy slug thing before it even gets to me. Feeling fantastic I quickly deleted my character.

The island of dawn is not for Jezvin! I needed to get to the real world and get their faster! A new character was born in a similar image to the last, this time his adventures would begin at level 1 instead of 10. so I appear, but not on an island surrounded by friendly people and houses, but at a large tree with a single elf who told me of the horrors of these evil spirits appearing as wisps invading this world. I quickly set out to slaying these devils. Several conversations later I ended up in a small town close to the tree and I had to continue my fight against these spirits, more evolved fairies it seems now, along with some strange fella who wanted frog eyes. He seemed to think they would make the best juice or something similar.

In the onslaught of the fairies to my devastating magic I soon began to realize something was wrong this was too similar to everything else... grinding quests.... for these simple people... they don't even move... They just stand around all day complaining about fairies... So screw it! I didn't care for these NPC people and their needs. I have my own things to do my own adventures to begin. I left all those people behind tossed their old ancient ancestors bones into the river and ate the frog eyes (did not taste good.)

Off I go into the world and what do I find? Wolves! Yes wolves, and bears clearly if I find something new I must kill all of them, the bear was tough being a few levels higher I eventually work it down with snares and damage. Next I spied a wolf, today is his end! Or so I thought, right when my spell hit two of the other little furry trouble makers looked my way, I make a small attempt to fight but I know what death looks like to a cloth wearing elf.

Waking up I am in a strange village people just shooting arrows into targets and a single vender selling some worthless items as usual with these NPC people. So I left them and right outside I see more fairies, but these are different! They are higher level, I again desire to do what every MMO player must, Kill Them All! An epic battle begins I soon realize that this is no bear, they fight back with magic the battle continues until we are both at a sliver a health quickly at the last second... that evil fairies spell goes off.

I go right back the few meters to where I just respawned. This was going to be harder but if something kills me I need revenge, I stomp right out there and start nuking the fairies but I’m not crazy so I target the melee fairies! They were no match to my slow spells with their limited range. I soon realize though after several close calls(trips back from the grave) that I should find some easier mobs. So I set off back to those wolves and bears. These worked and I went for some massive grinding several dead animals later, and me questioning if I should have been a skinner, I get my level needed for new spells. I head back and train up.

Going back to the fields of killing I start exploring a bit. And to my surprise what do I find? Wolves! Wolves I need to get revenge on and I just happen to find their wolf den. I start to slaughter them and move into their wolf den. What do I find there, but baby wolves! My revenge will be complete I start to slaughter the little guys only to realize that they are just as strong as their den mothers guarding the entrance. No matter I killed them just as easy. Soon I tired of all the baby slaying and I left their cave for another adventure.

Just over the hill near by I found ghosts, these die easy to spells and I enjoyed some exp off these gents. Reaching level 6 I soon felt as if I needed some new gear . So I did what any competent MMO player would do, I went out to find a dungeon cause everyone knows only things in dungeons carry around actual gear. I look at my map and start deciding where to go, It looks like the closest potential area is this arcrarium place so I begin my hike to this new place labeled 7-14 on my map. As I walk on this road I soon find stairs that I have to climb, up and up to this top and it was a city, too spread out to really grasp how big it was but it is clearly my elven capital. I knew this place held nothing I needed though so I continued through apparently questioning why I would ever leave this city, but no matter I needed gear and arcrarium would give it to me.

So I arrive and what do I find but ghostly weapons and their level 9 and I am only 6 so much for level 7-14 dumb map. but this was a long walk, like in the old MMO days, so I needed to make the best of it. I started kiting after a good lengthy fight I slaughtered my first one. And what did I find on it's corpse but 2 pieces of loot, not just wolf teeth or bear hides but actual loot. So I continue the slaughter until all my gear is a nice shinny blue color and all of the rest went to the NPC for some gold.

Grinding my way up on these little mobs I get to level 9 and decide to make an attempt at getting inside this place. I fight my way down a stairwell and get to the bottom where there is a little room with one more mob in it, I quickly kill it and sit there dumbfounded. There was no way out no other path I could only go back to the entrance. So I decide that I have had enough adventure for one day and head back out and log out thinking that in the old days a small cave like this would usually have a large dungeon not just one room...

I will be back tomorrow vanguard that you have earned.

-------------------------------------------------
Achiever 20.00%, Explorer 86.67%, Killer 60.00%, Socializer 33.33%

EKSA
-------------------------------------------------

Comments

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Sorcerer is not a good solist class. Its a fast solist, i.e. you can kill a lot, but you are not a class that can do dungeons solo.

Classes that are great at that are Disciple (esp if skilled for solo, i.e. max Str, max Dex, rest Vit), Necromancer, Dread Knight (needs good gear), Paladin. If you can live with low dps, also Bear Shaman and Cleric (preferably War or Death for better dps).

If you also make the Disciple Leatherworker, you could almost be self sufficient. Of course there are still some gaps (need Tailor for bags, need Blacksmith for horseshoes and sheets for the upgrades, need Mineralogist for Jewelry, need Weaponsmith or Carpenter for any other weapon but Handwraps), but overall Disciple is great.

• kinky10kinky10 Member UncommonPosts: 215

pointless...why did you write it?

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

Originally posted by kinky10

Why not?

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Originally posted by jezvin

So I decide that I have had enough adventure for one day and head back out and log out thinking that in the old days a small cave like this would usually have a large dungeon not just one room...

Keep looking, Vanguard has many huge dungeons, caves, "etc". you probably won't even find them all. So don't despair. Also, Sorcerer isn't a great solo class though I do believe one can solo with one. Necromancer is a better solo class. Disciple is really good. My main is a death knight and I find it an excellent solo class.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • infamouswhoisinfamouswhois Member Posts: 185

well this thread reminded me i made a trial account way back whenever. I decided to check if i got the 45 days and yup. So now im DL the client. so props to the OP

• QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683

No doubt the 119 post you made before this one were as equally meaningful as your 120th one was.

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

I'd rather see 100 more posts like this talking about one's adventures in a game than 1 more SWToR is wow in space, SWToR vs GW2, WoW clones have destroyed mmo's, Are mmo's getting dumbed down and whatever the 3 or 4 more similar posts are that keep cropping up on this site.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KrandalarianKrandalarian Member Posts: 12

I agree that posts like this are better than the 100 topics talking about how good or bad a game is that hasn't even been released or a comparison of which game is better of two games that are not released.  I have a psion in vanguard and I enjoy soloing with him, so in my opinion another good soloing class.  OP keep writing about your daily adventures, they are entertaining

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Well, you can solo on ALL classes. Even Warrior, IMHO the worst of all solists, can solo. That is not the question.

The question is how well you can solo. And there Sorc is fine as long as they have room to kite. However, the moment they dont have that space anymore, they're extremely fast dead. Sorc simply is the glass cannon in this game.

In respect to solist qualities, the list goes something like this:

1. Classes that can tank while solo:

Disciple - decent dps if skilled for it, massive and endless healing (manaless and can still heal if silenced), fake death. King of 1vs1 solo fights.

Dread Knight - good dps, very good defense, high gear dependency, lifetap, can fearkite. King of handling multiple mobs.

Necromancer - very good dps, no defense to speak of, low gear dependency, full featured aggro pet, fearkiting, lifetap, levitation, fake death, evac, invis vs undead. Too tough mobs that are immune to fear cannot be handled, though.

Shaman - solo performance highly depends upon Totem - Bear is great solist, Phoenix is worst solist of all healers.

Paladin - decent dps, good spike dps, very good defense, high gear dependency, heals.

Cleric - very low dps, good defense, good healing, invis vs undead - Depending upon Affinity (War gets much better dps, Death gets better dps and can fearkite, Peace gets CC and invisibility, Preservation gets immunities and defense, Purity gets massive carnage against undead)

Blood Mage - decent dps, no defense, good health (if selfbuffed), lifetaps, heals, levitation. Blood Mage is fine as long as there are not too many attackers (spells get disrupted) and the mob doesnt silence

2. Classes that can kite:

Psionicist - good dps, massive CC, evac

Druid - very good ranged dps, best spike dps, some emergency healing, runspeed, levitation, root, slow, aggro drop, evac

Sorcerer - best dps (ranged), no defense, low gear dependency, instant cast attackspells, levitation, slow, evac

Ranger - very good ranged dps, healing abilities, decent defense, good life, runspeed, snare, stealth

Bard - rather low ranged dps, very high melee dps, decent defense, good life, extreme runspeed, invis, invis vs undead (cant have both), slow, good CC

Rogue - second best dps in game (melee), rather low ranged dps, decent defense, good life, runspeed, stealth, evac

3. Classes that cannot do either:

Monk - very good dps, medium defense, fake death - drunken monk gets good defense, but less dps

Warrior - good dps, very good defense, no specials

Where tanking > kiting > neither

So yeah, Sorcerer is in the bottom half of solist classes, even if they can kill extremely fast.