Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Subscription Plan: It's $1.00 per death.

12346»

Comments

• YarunaYaruna Member Posts: 342

Originally posted by Lynxeyed

Love how you guys went from pay per death to hourly rate. The idea behind Pay per death is not to die try very hard not to die. Id love pvp it would be great. If the game was amazing i could easly spend 100 bucks a month Id just hope whatever company did it rewarded the pvp with a portion of the cash.

In a game designed to get you killed, and the game MUST get you killed to survive, you will end up dieing as much as they think they can squeeze out of the player base. It's like F2P but worse.

Waiting for Guild Wars 2, and maybe SWTOR until that time...

• KorbyKorby Member Posts: 499

How about games that are HARDER TO PLAY instead of keeping them easy and kicking people in the nuts for making a mistake?

• SagasaintSagasaint Member UncommonPosts: 466

Originally posted by Lidane

Originally posted by Lynxeyed

Love how you guys went from pay per death to hourly rate. The idea behind Pay per death is not to die try very hard not to die. Id love pvp it would be great. If the game was amazing i could easly spend 100 bucks a month Id just hope whatever company did it rewarded the pvp with a portion of the cash.

The point is that paying per death is just as stupid of an idea as hourly rates used to be, and for the same exact reason.

Back in the early days of online gaming, hourly rates died when straight subs came along. These days, anyone who tried to charge players per death would see their CSR and Billing departments quit en masse and their players leave in droves. Why would anyone pay $1 every time they died when there are plenty of games out there which don't charge them at all?

Also, you're dreaming if you think the devs would share the money with you. ROFL. Not gonna happen. They'd need the money to make up for all the revenue they're going to lose when people leave their game in droves.

hourly rate is the preferred business model  of the asian p2p market. and last time I checked, its several orders of magniteude bigger than the western market.

so you might wanna reword your post to include a wee bit of factual data and common sense...or not...

• LidaneLidane Member CommonPosts: 2,300

Originally posted by Sagasaint

hourly rate is the preferred business model  of the asian p2p market. and last time I checked, its several orders of magniteude bigger than the western market.

so you might wanna reword your post to include a wee bit of factual data and common sense...or not...

The Asian market, sure. Why? Because they have internet cafes, which never took off here in the States as a serious business model, and which is where most Asian gamers do their gaming.

So no, I'm not going to re-word a damn thing. Hourly rates don't work here in the United States. NO ONE is going to be stupid enough to pay an hourly rate to play an MMO, since nearly all gamers here in the States do their gaming at home. We don't even pay hourly rates for itnernet access anymore. Why would anyone here seriously pay hourly to play a game?

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

Originally posted by precious328

So you want player deaths to mean something, eh?

Scratch the monthly fee. Scratch the cash shops. It's time to load that account with 1UPs!

Can you imagine the change of behavior?

What would you say to the moron who trained a bunch of add-on mobs during the raid?

What would you say to the tank who refuses to hold aggro?

What would you say to the healer who went afk?

What would you say about the "Lost Connection" deaths?

What would you say to player who ganked you from the bushes?

What would you say to the player who opened the exploding chest?

IMAGINE

Dude!  lmao that's fecken brilliant!  Anyone else reading this?   Though, doesn't that mean only rich folks will play?> lol

• zethcarnzethcarn Member UncommonPosts: 1,558

Humorous idea.  How about $1 per death up to a maximum of $15 per month like the current model.  That way if you're good or play it safe you can get off cheap...but if you're reckless you're still only paying $15 per month.  But you still get as many lives as you want.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

This would be horrible because there are more losers than winners, always, in every game ever played, ... there are more losers..and less winners.

The gaming industry started to realise this with FPS like UT and Quake, after a while people got tired of being killed all the time, so they made lobbies with difficulty, there were clans, difficulty settings, etc.

WoW realised this too, so they made everyone winners.

This is the OPPOSITE, paying if you get killed is horrible, it would drive off players in droves, because each time another loser leaves, someone else takes it's place and leaves too.

The whole concept is flawed and destined to fail from the start.

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

You will need a max cap of say $20 a month or it will discourage people from even playing the game.

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• LidaneLidane Member CommonPosts: 2,300

Originally posted by xKingdomx

You will need a max cap of say $20 a month or it will discourage people from even playing the game.

Except that would mean that a player has 20 lives per month in a game. Why would anyone deliberately play that game?

Pay X Company $20 a month to play an MMO where they have 20 lives for the entire month, or pay Blizzard, SOE, CCP, Square Enix, NCSoft, etc. $15 a month for unlimited lives? Pay money at all, or buy a copy of Guild Wars and have all the lives you need at no extra charge?

Paying per death will never work. There are too many options with set subscription fees or F2P models to make charging people for each death a recipe for instant failure.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

Originally posted by Korby
    How about games that are HARDER TO PLAY instead of keeping them easy and kicking people in the nuts for making a mistake?

i think rift is fairly hard,it start smooth,has a nice curve but if you are inclined for a challenge do it at the proper level(no cheating guys,quest say 20 you do it at lvl 20,not 32)
    you will find your self hard pressed,i met some elite quest like THE PRINCE PAL.trust me that achievement and probably many other like it arent easy to get.there probably are lot of way harder quest line since i havent tried the harder dungeon and all.
    as for this idea,of making the game free to play for real with paying if you die,i still think it is a great idea all things being = if a person use the cash store to buy enhancement item they couldnt gank the player using the pay if you die system.cause lets face it,if one went in cash shop and was allowed to gank nobody would play the game,everybody want to have fun yes but in a fair manner.you cant make your game fair(cs anyone)then dont release it!but i still say if the game is fair paying for res is a good idea if the game is free!yes it would probably means the game would be harder to beat,how many thread are there on this forum complaining about game being too easy?thousand?hundred of thousand?
    this would sove a big part of it!would it be the only feature?hell no.it would be a choice,if you took this option(selectable before starting the game)you would have to be with other using the same feature,so if you pvped and died all the other pvper would also be guys or girl paying to res,this way all would be = and fairly fair.like i say it would be another option.and would be a lot easier to implement for programmer then the actual f2p we got in the past .hell even game not meant to be f2p play could implement this!
  • zethcarnzethcarn Member UncommonPosts: 1,558

Except that would mean that a player has 20 lives per month in a game. Why would anyone deliberately play that game?

Pay X Company $20 a month to play an MMO where they have 20 lives for the entire month, or pay Blizzard, SOE, CCP, Square Enix, NCSoft, etc. $15 a month for unlimited lives? Pay money at all, or buy a copy of Guild Wars and have all the lives you need at no extra charge?

Paying per death will never work. There are too many options with set subscription fees or F2P models to make charging people for each death a recipe for instant failure.

I think what he means is you only pay $20 maximum per month but you still get as many 'lives' as you want.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

lmao, i would stop playing at death # 10. never gonna work.

• ZeTaKaZeTaKa Member UncommonPosts: 28

Just is needed see Allods die for use a system like this.
    Is good idea, for the people will play more harder, but, i dont know you, but me play for fun, no for work, and that system looks more than a work, and more when the die, much times are for other mistake. And many times, who make the mistake survive. I think the best option is make a real death penalty like a FFXI.
    In FFXI if you make some mistakes in many partys, you dont will be invited never more. This is good system, the problem start with the WoW auto-party system, for evade responsibility's to bad gamers, all can make mistakes but the problem with WoWs system is the people leaving games in boss encounters... and Rift copy this system...
    I guess with SWToR will no have the same problem, or use vote system like Xbox live, but this system need much GMs work, for see if the votes are fake or real.

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

I mean that at the end of the month, the company will charge you according to the number of your deaths, whatever the amount of death will be, adding up to a total, which total will cap at $20, or even just $15, so players know that by playing smarter, they can save themselves money. But then again, why would devs do this when most players are stupid and continously pumping $15 a month to them?

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• gurugeorgegurugeorge Member UncommonPosts: 481

It's a great idea in principle, just like permadeath, but unfortunately it would be such a headache for customer support (people whingeing, for both justified and unjustified reasons) that I don't think any company would ever do it.