Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My return to Lineage II. ( First Impression )

varriusvarrius Member Posts: 106

Yesterday I returned to Lineage II.   I never gave it a shot when I purchased it back in 2007.   This was due to IRL issues and the fact that I just didn't have the time for it.  ( Thank you Reizla for the return key. )

My first impression was that they had made the NPE( New Player Experience) a lot better.   I made a Kamael on Chronos as my first character.   They're pretty neat looking chars, with one wing, they are some sort of fallen angel that was trapped in some other dimension for quite a while. 

At any rate, as a Kamael you must be a fighter.   I was considering a Dark Elf initially, since I wanted to go down the magic route but I figured Kamael would be better for newer players since it was the latest race.

When you arrive in the game you are greeted by many helpful tips to get you started.   It is a click-to-move game, which is a bit more fun than WASD.   I like it since I can be lazy at times and just click off into the distance.

So, you do your first set of quests, which is just to kill the Gremlins in this room you're in.   You get a feel for the basics of combat and are given some "soul shots".   These increase the damage you do grealty, allowing you to speed up your leveling.

The starter-guy sends you into Kamael Village where you must speak with a "newbie helper," which offers you items such as weapons, and even gives you buffs to increase you run speed, etc.   He even has a protection buff which inhibits high-level players from ganking you.   That was refreshing.

All-in-all, I managed to get to level 15 in a single day, which would have been unheard of in the years before.   The game is refreshing.   I haven't played anything like it. 

Oh, I should note that I did group with someone who was an Elf warrior or something.   He asked me where I was from, my level, then took me off into a field, where I thought we were going to kill stuff together - instead he killed me.

Upon respawning, he griefed me for a little while each time I attempted to venture out from the city.   I attempted to fight him but I guess I was just too weak.

I found it a bit funny.

Finally, if you are looking for a change of pace, this is the game for you.   Don't hesitate to give it a shot, it has a LOT of content from what I can see.   Additionally, I was thinking that EQII, WoW, and Lineage II seem like much more complete games.   For some reason it feels like they just spent more time making games back in 2003 - 2004.  Now-a-days, they are limited on content and quickly get old.   There is a certain quality to this game that many will enjoy.

Lastly, I reviewed the "Goddess of Destruction" korean patch notes, which were translated on the official L2 forums, it looks amazing!   Also, they have a site up explaining everything that it will add, it looks very, very promising.   Even a new engine is in the patch.

One last thing, I am still confused as to what class I should go to following Warrior >> Trooper, etc. .   It seems my class changes many times throughout my journey, but I don't know which would be the better choice to get selected for groups, if anyone could help, that would be great.

- Var.

Comments

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768

This is very cool to read. Most people just toss off Lineage 2 as another korean grinder. But it has a lot of aspects of it that tear it apart from those. Sure leveling is a grind, but if you look at the pvp, it's very cool. My main is a berserker, which is the two handed Kamael, I can get into groups no problem at all because they output huge amounts of damage. I think I grouped from level 52 all the way up to 74 so far. So if you choose that route you will have no issues getting in groups. Keep in mind, doing the mini group raid boss kamaloca or however you spell that will get you quite a bit of EXP from level 30+. Also leveling will slow down around grade changing levels, like 17-20, 35-40, 49-52..etc... Try to get into a guild, they can be rather helpful and won't mind recruiting new players because it gets them points when you graduate from the guild academy at level 40. Plus you get a crown accessory for doing that.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010

I agree, find a guild.

Know that the game is more about your personal interaction with players than quests so don't be discouraged if you run out of quests.

It really isn't a quest game.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Glad to see you enjoy it more than in 2007 Var. Indeed, a lot has changed for the better, also making it easier for new players to get faster into the game. I remember when I started in 2006 with my cury dwarf and had no clue what to do. Not to mention, back than using soulshots was really expensive.

These days, the newbee helpers do give you a good hand ov leveling to 20 fast, give gear (light amor in Kamael village on level 2 already and all you have to do is talk to 3 NPCs). Also, the addition of shadow and common items was a good step forward for L2. Without those it was hard to get a decent gear on level 40, and these days you can buy these common items for only a fraction of the normal item (no set bonus though).

Pity you ran into an ass so early in the game. Don't know what's the fun of PKing lowbee players (and I said there were little no no PKers at low level earlier on...). Personally I won't PK players far below my level (83 now), unless it's one we have a war with and he hits me first (or it's one of LoD clan - just returning their favors :D)

About the grind... Yes L2 is a 'grind' is you do only PvE and solo. Find a clan or a group of players you party with on a regular basis. It'll make the game more fun, and (also as important), you level faster and see parts of the game you can't access solo. Good party spots are Catacombs (though SP giain sucks there),  Garden of Eva & Devil's Isle (40+), and the Tower of Insulence (60+). After that you can move to the Forge of Gods if you know a couple of pole users. Following this road you can hit 80 in 6 weeks already ;)

Indeed, L2 is no qust based game, though the 1-20 newbee experience might hint for that. Of course, there are quests in L2, but most of them are gather quests, where <x> gathered of item <y> gives you adena or <z>. I can advice to pick up as much of those quests as possible. There are some that are utterly useless, but most of them are very useful (Aden WH and Blacksmith has some nice collection quests for 60+).

All in all, I think L2 is the best MMO out there for me. I sometimes really wonder why not more ppl give it a try and see for themselfs how awesome this game is, though I think most of the players stick to the regular 'themepark' MMO's :(

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

My main is a 84 Soul Hound with a 76 Bererker Sub that I am havving so much fun with I am going to level it all they way to 80. If you want a Mage / Melee class go the  way of the Soul Hound but if you want a pure melee damage dealer go the way of the Beserker. Both classes are very fun and both are some of the top pvp classes in game. 

• BoldegonBoldegon Member Posts: 2

I just started playing about 2 weeks ago myself and I'm kicking myself for never giving this game a fair try before.

The newbie introduction quests are great to get you to your first class transfer in literally two hours.

It's taken me a bit of time to get used to the click to move but now it's second nature and I don't even notice it.  To be as old as this game is, it really has nice graphics imo.  That was a pleasant surprise.

I started an elf fighter myself, and went with a swordsinger.  While I was deciding to try the game, I tried to find a few clans that might be accepting newbies.  I got lucky with the one I chose.  It seems to be very active, and the people are in it are extremely friendly and don't mind answering all my newbie questions. In two weeks or so, I just hit 61 and they had a complete set of A grade armor waiting on me.  

Some of the bad things I've noticed are obviously that the population is mostly higher level characters and the in game economy reflects this.  If I didn't have a clan to help with equipment, I would be looking at a long time before I could afford A grade armor and weapons.  I'm sure there are some great ways to make money that I just don't know about, but the prices seem really expensive to me.  

Also, getting groups at the mid levels is not trivial, although I have been able to start getting into groups much more easily in the last couple of levels in Tower of Insolence.  There's a party matching system in game, and you can see the parties that are lfm.  Also, I think your name shows up in a waiting list when your browsing it so party leaders can see that you're lfg and recruit you.  I can't wait till I get higher so I can start getting clan or alliance groups.  They seem to be forming almost constantly but  atm I'm too low to do that.

I know I haven't experienced the full glory of the L2 grind yet, but I will say that level 60 was pretty rough.  I think it was more because my equipment wasn't great and it was taking me a long time to kill mobs.  I noticed a huge difference immediately when I was finally able to equip a new grade of equipment.  

I like the combat system (what I've seen of it) alot.  Maybe it's because I'm older now, but I'm really enjoying that you don't have to be constantly mashing buttons all the time and you can actually chat a bit while in a party.  It sort of reminds me of EQ that way.  Now, other classes might be different, and I'm only speaking of the sws.  I'm sure the tanks and healers have alot more to do :) 

The only real gripe I have, and this isn't really L2's fault, is the lack of up to date websites on the game.  It's pretty tough to learn alot of the stuff, especially if you like to read and learn all you can about a game.  I really wish that L2 had an english version of the korean power wiki.  However, with the translate function in chrome, you can actually find alot of good info on the korean site if you can handle the occasional, ermm, snags in tranlation that occur :)

I've only been PK'd once so far out in the wilds, when I was about 30.  At the time I didn't understand the pvp rules but I now know that the dude was just hoping I would hit back so he could kill me without penalty.  So, if someone starts attacking you, if you don't fight back he'll get a penalty for actually killing you (i think).

The game's population seems healthy to me.  There are alot of players once you get a bit higher level.  Aden and Giran in particular are pretty busy it seems.

The highlight for me so far was going on a castle siege with the clan last Sunday night.  I got killed ALOT but it was great fun, and even though I had no chance when someone would notice me, I still felt like I was helping because I was keeping buffs up for my party.  I just had to find some good places to hide and hope I didn't get noticed too much lol.

I would encourage anyone who is even remotely interested in the game to give it a shot.  I can't emphasize enough that it will be much smoother and enjoyable if you can find yourself a good clan and join them asap.  As a new player, you're going to need help or I think the game is going to be alot harder for you.

Wow, sorry for the wall of text!  I didn't realize I was going to write a book.

The best way I can say for a new player to start making money is make sure you sign up for 7 Signs and farm the hell ouf of the catacombs for 2 weeks or a month to get you some Anceint Adena. Anceint Adena always sells for a really good price so its the best way to start making some cash. Afther you get that going then you have to find something that you can buy and sell for a profit. I would say start off with element stones. They are the cheapest thing I know on the market that sell very well. Also for D and C grade use common gear because its cheap and you dont really need good gear at those levels. 

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

I think most western players miss the point of the "grind" in this kind of game. We call it a korean grinder because we expect to be able to level though the game solo and then we group at max level for a gear or reputation grind. In this game, while you can solo much of the way up it is far from idea and it becomes harder and harder as you get to high level. The point is that you find a group to hang out with well before you hit max level. In this way L2 is a very social game. People are friendly and since grouping is the norm you can often simply run into people and form a group on the run.

Don't view the level grind as the dues you must pay at the beginning of the game that should simply be powered though. If you do, you miss much of the game, most of the community and all of the point. Sit back and enjoy the ride and meet new people.

Also realize that unlike WoW and its derivitives, the endgame of L2 doesn't start at max level. it starts around 76+ and S grade if not sooner. Instead of grinding gear tiers, you grind your last few levels and some gear. It is simply a different perspective on how to lay out an endgame. And one that is not designed to be conquered in 2 months.

All die, so die well.

Originally posted by Aori

Originally posted by VikingGamer

I think most western players miss the point of the "grind" in this kind of game. We call it a korean grinder because we expect to be able to level though the game solo and then we group at max level for a gear or reputation grind. In this game, while you can solo much of the way up it is far from idea and it becomes harder and harder as you get to high level. The point is that you find a group to hang out with well before you hit max level. In this way L2 is a very social game. People are friendly and since grouping is the norm you can often simply run into people and form a group on the run.

Point is, don't view the level grind as the dues you must pay at the beginning of the game that should simply be powered though. If you do, you miss much of the game, most of the community and all of the point. Sit back and enjoy the ride and meet new people.

Also realize that unlike WoW and its derivitives, the endgame of L2 doesn't start at max level. it starts around 76+ and S grade if not sooner. Instead of grinding gear tiers, you grind your last few levels and some gear. It is simply a different perspective on how to lay out an endgame.

Lineage2 is all about powering thru, the game doesnt start until 76+ as you said. There is nothing to really see and nothing to really do other than PVP. TBH 76 isn't even accurate anymore as S gear is barely handing in there vs S80 and S84.

You dont have any idea what you are tallking about. How does a Level 84 person like me that loves and play the game everyday if there is nonthing to do but PVP and I am in a PVE Alliance?

Originally posted by Mannish

Originally posted by VikingGamer

Point is, don't view the level grind as the dues you must pay at the beginning of the game that should simply be powered though. If you do, you miss much of the game, most of the community and all of the point. Sit back and enjoy the ride and meet new people.

Also realize that unlike WoW and its derivitives, the endgame of L2 doesn't start at max level. it starts around 76+ and S grade if not sooner. Instead of grinding gear tiers, you grind your last few levels and some gear. It is simply a different perspective on how to lay out an endgame.

Lineage2 is all about powering thru, the game doesnt start until 76+ as you said. There is nothing to really see and nothing to really do other than PVP. TBH 76 isn't even accurate anymore as S gear is barely handing in there vs S80 and S84.

You dont have any idea what you are tallking about. How does a Level 84 person like me that loves and play the game everyday if there is nonthing to do but PVP and I am in a PVE Alliance?

Lineage2 selling point was always the PVP, the PVE is a joke and should only be considered a means to an end. You pve to get gear to pvp.  Never heard of something so ridiculous in lineage2 until i returned a few months back.

But hey to each their own, if you enjoy mindless pve then have fun.

If you find it mindless then thats your problem. You are simply one of of the many people that have no idea how to play a real mmo where you have to decide what you want to do each day.  Of all the post on this thread dont you find it funny that you are the only 1 person that seems to feel the way you feel? Everybody seems to see that Lineage 2 is about social interaction and just having fun with clannies and friends because that is truly what this game is about. You returned to Lineage 2 a few months ago to what? A C Grade toon that has no idea how to get him a set of Full Plate Armor? You dont know anything about PVP or PVE in this game. Prove me wrong anytime you want to. I will be on Chronos as soon as the server comes back up.

No thanks, just like I thought. You a low level that quit and have no idea what you talking about. How can you talk about 80+ when you never made it to 80+? At level 60 you have not  even started experiencing real group play or high level content. You dont know what this game is about so please stop talking like it.

What I am saying is how can you talk about 70 and 80 when you never made it there? LOL

• LisXiaLisXia Member Posts: 390

No thanks, just like I thought. You a low level that quit and have no idea what you talking about. How can you talk about 80+ when you never made it to 80+? At level 60 you have not  even started experiencing real group play or high level content. You dont know what this game is about so please stop talking like it.

So you are telling us that this game is not enjoyable, even up to level 60.  Is that not an indication of something less than very encouraging?

Originally posted by LisXia

So you are telling us that this game is not enjoyable, even up to level 60.  Is that not an indication of something less than very encouraging?

What? Where did I say its not enjoyable?

Originally posted by LisXia

What? Where did I say its not enjoyable?

What is enjoyable about a game that you know nothing about until you hit 80+?

Who said you know nonthing about the game till level 80?

• BluppBlupp Member Posts: 131

Alot of jibberish here!image

I have played L2 on and off since prelude (2004). 1,5 months ago I finally manage to quit the game, tried to leave it tons of times. So yes: the game does actually have some sort of appeal to SOME ppl. We all have different taste and thats it.

When I left I had a lvl 84 Adventurer. So I guess I know what im talking about. To put it simple: if u wanna achive major things in this game, like beeing the best PvPer ingame, forget it. If u looking to find friends to chat with thru the mindless grind, then u found a good game.

To become a God in L2 (in pvp) u need to spend thousands and thousands of IRL money to get the best gear. And even if u manage to get super-gear you still wont be the "best". But as I said if u take it for what it is and your target is to socialize and.....yeah thats about it...then its a good game. You will prolly never even see the epic-bosses, either they are camped by major pvp-clans or your gear aint good enough to get into one of the big clans that can bring em down.

This is currently my view of the game. I have been obsessed with the game and finally I feel kinda free. I have so much more time for irl-stuff....watching movies...playing games casual etc. Sadly it will take alot of you time if you wanna get into L2 for real. I was there and Im not going back.

As you hopefully seen in my post Im not taking any part for or against the game (even if Im glad Ive quit). Summary: Try it! You will love it or you will hate it...there really isnt anything between. And its very sad you have to be un-legit to have any chance at all in PvP. The economy and the feeling after killing 1000 same mobs (what the he** am I doing) is why I wont ever play L2 again.

Ok thats all for me, my personal thought and experience, you might have others.

Originally posted by Blupp

Alot of jibberish here!image

I have played L2 on and off since prelude (2004). 1,5 months ago I finally manage to quit the game, tried to leave it tons of times. So yes: the game does actually have some sort of appeal to SOME ppl. We all have different taste and thats it.

When I left I had a lvl 84 Adventurer. So I guess I know what im talking about. To put it simple: if u wanna achive major things in this game, like beeing the best PvPer ingame, forget it. If u looking to find friends to chat with thru the mindless grind, then u found a good game.

To become a God in L2 (in pvp) u need to spend thousands and thousands of IRL money to get the best gear. And even if u manage to get super-gear you still wont be the "best". But as I said if u take it for what it is and your target is to socialize and.....yeah thats about it...then its a good game. You will prolly never even see the epic-bosses, either they are camped by major pvp-clans or your gear aint good enough to get into one of the big clans that can bring em down.

This is currently my view of the game. I have been obsessed with the game and finally I feel kinda free. I have so much more time for irl-stuff....watching movies...playing games casual etc. Sadly it will take alot of you time if you wanna get into L2 for real. I was there and Im not going back.

As you hopefully seen in my post Im not taking any part for or against the game (even if Im glad Ive quit). Summary: Try it! You will love it or you will hate it...there really isnt anything between. And its very sad you have to be un-legit to have any chance at all in PvP. The economy and the feeling after killing 1000 same mobs (what the he** am I doing) is why I wont ever play L2 again.

Ok thats all for me, my personal thought and experience, you might have others.

I agree with some of the stuff you said  but with Goddess Of Destruction comming up soon I wonder why you not sticking around to at least see how it is?

• NIIINIII Member UncommonPosts: 113

I've given this game multiple chances because a friend of mine loves it.

The idea of the pvp is good, but I can't force myself to play enough to get to that point in the game, due to the endless grind. That, paired with hordes of mobs crowded unrealistically together in tight areas, and the fact that in my opinion, from what I've seen of the game, there isn't enough gear for everyone to not look the same.

The game is nothing more than an asian grindfest to me. But if it's the game for you, I'm happy for you.

On a lighthearted side;
    When Overwolf released, and I was playing MMOs with it, I was like, "This is amazing, it's like I'm playing L2, except the game doesn't suck"

I always liked MSN via L2.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

The best way I can say for a new player to start making money is make sure you sign up for 7 Signs and farm the hell ouf of the catacombs for 2 weeks or a month to get you some Anceint Adena. Anceint Adena always sells for a really good price so its the best way to start making some cash. Afther you get that going then you have to find something that you can buy and sell for a profit. I would say start off with element stones. They are the cheapest thing I know on the market that sell very well. Also for D and C grade use common gear because its cheap and you dont really need good gear at those levels. 

Not sure how the AA trade on Chronos is, but on Naia it's close to dead by now. Yes, you can still buy Gems S-grade and sell those for a nice price, but actual AA trade is slow, and not to mention, the price is low (3:1 sell and 2:1 buy in private store).

Originally posted by Reizla

Not sure how the AA trade on Chronos is, but on Naia it's close to dead by now. Yes, you can still buy Gems S-grade and sell those for a nice price, but actual AA trade is slow, and not to mention, the price is low (3:1 sell and 2:1 buy in private store).

On Chronos I see the shops set up selling 4/1 and atm I am doing cata farming on a B Grade toon too see how much I can get in one week of farming. I am trying to picture a Level 20 toon trying to start making money and I cant see any other way then going to Necropolis Of Sacrifice which is the Level 20 and farming Seal Stones moving on to Heretics at Level 30 and then Branded at Level 40. If you know a better way feel free to tell me because I sure dont.