Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR: The next Warhammer?

Comments

• drazzahdrazzah Member UncommonPosts: 437

Originally posted by kalinis

just because u dont like tor doesnt mean it will fail , just because u perfer gw2 doesnt mean everyone does. Im on the tor forums daily and very seldom do i get alot of negatiivity there so i dont know where u get there is. 

that said stuff like gay romance arcs adn stuff do bring strong debate because players have seen if they show bioware they dont like something they will change it. 

Good debate on tor forums doesnt mean they hate the game or are split its just people arguing over what they see as featueres they want and no one ever agrees. 

The community hasnt even had time to become one in game yet at least give it time for that.

oh and games fail because they come out early have no content are buggy as heck. Tor is trying to limit bugs, they have plenty of content and they will not release till they are ready. 

The star wars fans and bioware fans will make this game a success money and player base wise. Galaxies even after then nge had a good enough population to keep soe from killing it. So tor will do well also. 

gw 2 fans can hope thats not true but they will be wrong. Besides tor will coem out with nothing else to go up against as far as new releases and while rift ant wow do patches tor will take some of there subs. 

That said they wont get wow numbers. They will do better then people on this forum think they will.

This is true but this doesnt make a game fail as much as you think. Rifts release pretty much had to bugs at all, i think the reason a game will fail is the ability to not keep a playing at end game. Yes, end game is not everything, but end game should be the reason why you keep playing an MMO. 

Also, Im a fan of GW2, i am also a fan of Star Wars but will not be buying TOR. I just dont understand why other GW2 fans want TOR to fail, GW2 Devs clearly stated that they are not trying to compete with anyone and obviously they arent. GW2 is B2P, TOR is P2P... i just dont understand why someone would WANT a game to fail?

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Originally posted by Corehaven

Originally posted by Murugan

Originally posted by Corehaven

Hype does not equal fail necessarily.  There was a lot of hype for WoW too back in the day. 

If I see anything thats a bad sign for Swtor, its the community.  Half seem to be dissapointed and angry at it, the other half are cheering.  Every game Ive ever seen this split in before release, it turns out to be a very lackluster game.  Ive seen it several times.  

Ive noticed GW2 forums, even the ones on this site, dont really have that.  They have a few people who complain, but by that I mean very few.  And usually they never can find anything relaly legitimate to complain about.  Because so far there's just not much. 

So I feel thats a very good sign for GW2, however I have my doubts regarding Swtor for many reasons.  But the split community is not a good sign.  Trust me. 

Or it's merely a sign of people knowing what to expect from Guild Wars 2.  I have no intention of playing Guild Wars 2, I don't go there and list out all the reasons I won't be playing it because there is nothing I could do to change it.

STWOR is an mmo, and the people in beta and the people who are going to play it are capable, in fact they are extremely likely to see major changes and additions come to the game.  So they are "divided" in opinion on stuff because they want to see certain things in the game.  Every actual MMO has this because subscription fee games are ongoing projects we as players are a part of.

For one, there are tons of people excited for GW2 that have never played the first GW and dont intend too.  Myself included.  Yet I still see nothing wrong with GW2 so far, except for a couple of tiny things. 

I was really anticipating Swtor at one time as well.  As time went on I totally lost my hype.  The more I learned about the game the less impressed I was.  And GW2 is listening to its players, its a real mmo , etc.  GW2 will probably be even more of an ongoing project than Swtor possibly.  Thats because the want people to buy their expansions.  Anet releases a lot of content such as maps and full blown expansions that they hope their player base will buy.  

Forgive me, but I dont see the reasoning here.  Except for you saying they are divided on stuff they want to see in the game.  Thats true.  It could be happening with GW2 as well but there's not a good enough reason to divide the community because the game looks fairly good so far.  

Saying subscription mmos are ongoing projects while GW2 will not be makes absolutely no sense. 

That's nice. I have only 4 things to complain about GW2, so to me it will be very awesome game, really, it does look good. One of the complaints I have isnt even about the gameplay, it's about GW2 fans like you who go to other games forum sections (TOR specifically) and begin to transform topics about TOR into a "GW2 is awesome game and these are the reasons why you and all your friends are going to have to buy the game" - please dont. How does this help GW2 community to look better than TOR's?

People who want to hear about how awesome GW2 is go to the GW2 forum section and can read there, not in a thread which they enter thinking it's about, for example some uninformed mmo player concerns about the possibilities of TOR failing like Warhammer.

• SiderasSideras Member Posts: 231

No, Warhammer was a mess  with incompetent game direction and design, with a rotten and outdated engine.

I highly doubt SWTOR will fail, but I sure won't be keeping my eyes on it. There's just nothing special about it. But if the game is polished and has end-game content, it will win over alot of players.

• drazzahdrazzah Member UncommonPosts: 437

I heard Guild Stars 3 is placed in outter space and you can be a pistol wielding darth maul that turns into a bear.

Now a game we all can play :)

• OtomoxOtomox Member UncommonPosts: 303

No chance in hell bioware like blizzard has tons of fanboys that gonna support the game until it kick offs and becomes huge like WoW.

• lightningjaclightningjac Member Posts: 92

this game is on another level from rift and warhammer and far from being a major fail...no op...just no

• NobadeeftwNobadeeftw Member UncommonPosts: 129

Originally posted by kolsovo

These days I'm seeing alot of hype for Star Wars: The Old Republic. Both long time Star Wars IP fans and WoW haters alike seem excited, but is it for the right reasons?

I think a good amount of people remember Warhammer Online. There was BIG hype about it- The WoW slayer, the new DAOC, Warhammer Fantasy IP, etc etc...

And what happened?

Nobody's really sure how many players the game has nowadays. Maybe 100k at MOST? And that is a liberal estimate. 

And then came Rift. Yet again, everyone cheered (and cheer) WoW Slayer, new big MMO, etc etc. And what happned? Yet again, everyone was disappointed. Now, not that Rift is dying like WAR is- it still has a decent playerbase, but I think they're heavily customizable class system will be their downfall eventually.

But this isn't a Rift bashing thread. This is about people yet again getting over-excited about a game, and then being SO SURPRISED when it turns out the game is either unfinished, under-developed, or just another clone!

Basically, I just wanna suggest that everyone do some legitimate research on a game before you scream "OMG SWEET EPIC GAME WOW SLAYER!" 

This especially goes for SWTOR- I think that SWTOR will likely be a major fail, as many people are a bit too excited about the IP, perhaps moreso than the actual gameplay (like what happened in WAR).

The fact that it's the Star Wars IP means that it will float like no other.  SWG lasted 8 years and it was one of the most aweful MMOs to date.  Hell even Star Wars fans liked the prequels, there is nothing going to drive a fan of the IP away from this sleeping giant.  One thing I've learned over the years, when it comes to Star Wars, fans will eat it up no matter how awful it is, more so than Star Trek lovers.

Will this game be epic?  Maybe; but, only time can really answer that, speculation has always proven to be disasterous when it comes to video games...

• elliottalbelliottalb Member Posts: 19

I, an avid wow player and self described Blizzard fan boy,  tested SWTOR for almost the whole month of July. I went into it expecting to be disapointed. I came out of it unable to do much more in wow than log in to talk to my friends and mindlessly fly around ORG before logging out and trolling the SWTOR forums impatiently waiting to get my hands ont he game again.

If you think this game is going to be like Warhammer than you are simply wrong. It is so much better than any mmo that I have ever played that it is hard to describe. You will see. I promise.

• NobadeeftwNobadeeftw Member UncommonPosts: 129

Originally posted by elliottalb

I, an avid wow player and self described Blizzard fan boy,  tested SWTOR for almost the whole month of July. I went into it expecting to be disapointed. I came out of it unable to do much more in wow than log in to talk to my friends and mindlessly fly around ORG before logging out and trolling the SWTOR forums impatiently waiting to get my hands ont he game again.

If you think this game is going to be like Warhammer than you are simply wrong. It is so much better than any mmo that I have ever played that it is hard to describe. You will see. I promise.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard this.  I've seen were many testers actually upgraded their pre-orders to the collectors edition after testing for a few days.  You don't see that very often in beta testing, usually you hear massive complaints and waves of "I'm cancelling my preorder" threads; but, in this case there seems to be more surprise than disappointment.

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362

Since I got into the beta it's the only game I play now! I can't stop! It's awesome!

• gilgamesh9gilgamesh9 Member Posts: 133

Originally posted by Margrave

Since I got into the beta it's the only game I play now! I can't stop! It's awesome!

At least it loads for you.  I just get a black screen with music.  (coming out this year? lolz)

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

Originally posted by kolsovo

These days I'm seeing alot of hype for Star Wars: The Old Republic. Both long time Star Wars IP fans and WoW haters alike seem excited, but is it for the right reasons?

YES it is.

I think a good amount of people remember Warhammer Online. There was BIG hype about it- The WoW slayer, the new DAOC, Warhammer Fantasy IP, etc etc...

So what......

And what happened?

It failed because: 1. It was rushed 2. Mythic didnt duplicate DAOC properly. 3 bad crafting 4. repetitive PVP combat 5. PVE sucked butt zits.

Nobody's really sure how many players the game has nowadays. Maybe 100k at MOST? And that is a liberal estimate. 

If you dont know dont post knowledge form your anus. Warhammer has absolutley nothing to do with a new game that hasnt released yet.

And then came Rift. Yet again, everyone cheered (and cheer) WoW Slayer, new big MMO, etc etc. And what happned? Yet again, everyone was disappointed. Now, not that Rift is dying like WAR is- it still has a decent playerbase, but I think they're heavily customizable class system will be their downfall eventually.

Last I checked rift still has a decent amount of players in it when i subbed to it. There were plenty of people to participate in the events. Everyone disapponted? You spoke with everyone? Intresting because I havent spoken with you. I found rift to be a good game with polish. Again more info gathering and ASSunptions form your anus.

But this isn't a Rift bashing thread. This is about people yet again getting over-excited about a game, and then being SO SURPRISED when it turns out the game is either unfinished, under-developed, or just another clone!

Its NOT for YOU to Say who is allowed to be excited for a game or not. Its not for you to say what game an individual likes. This whole thread is yet another I hate SWTOR thread making ASSumptions about a game that hasnt released yet.

Basically, I just wanna suggest that everyone do some legitimate research on a game before you scream "OMG SWEET EPIC GAME WOW SLAYER!" 

You obviously havent done any research at all. Guessing on WAR and RIFT populations doesnt help your thread. If you like GW2 go play it and quit bashing a game that hasnt released yet.

This especially goes for SWTOR- I think that SWTOR will likely be a major fail, as many people are a bit too excited about the IP, perhaps moreso than the actual gameplay (like what happened in WAR).

This I hate SWTOR thread is a major fail. BTW can I borrow your magical crytal ball for the Powerball lotto numbers?

OP read my quote at bottom of reply. it applies to you.

**Fires many soiled poop stained plungers at OP's Mouth**

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• scottec1425scottec1425 Member Posts: 64

This topic is new and refreshing. Never before have I even thought of this. Im glad the OP was wise enought to bring this up. Never did I make 2 and 2, I just assumed all the other games did kill wow.

• LumsterLumster Member Posts: 230

Originally posted by gilgamesh9

At least it loads for you.  I just get a black screen with music.  (coming out this year? lolz)

1. It's beta, so they can fix issues you...

2. could be entirely your fault because you got no clue about PCs so stop trolling

100% the guy didn't file a report or went to the forums.......so he went here to bitch.......WHERE NO ONE CAN HELP YOU

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673

I didn't follow Warhammer so I can't speak to the similarities in pre release hype but make sure you also make this same post on GW2 because those same conditions exist about that game lot's of people making many claims about what the game is going to do though many have never even played the game.

Heck while we are on it you may as well make this post about every new game on the way because they all seem to have the same type of tone when it comes to advertising and the hype that the games fans feel for the product.

In all seriousness though TOR is going to sell many more boxes than WAR did and until TOR comes back and cuts out almost twenty five percent of the game right before release I think any other comparisons are premature.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

I think it's unfair to compare the two since WAR had problems right out of the gate (though honestly, EA being involved in SWTOR doesn't give me the highest hopes).  If it fails in the long run it will be because it stuck too closely to the typical MMO formula that has been lazily reproduced time and time again (ie: Rift) - raids for end game, hot-key based MMOs with limited maneuever mechanics (eg: doesn't matter if you run, you'll still get hit by projectiles and enemy melee).  The only thing different is the presentation of story and frankly, that's not enough for me personally.  Others seem to be excited about it, however.

Hardly the next Warhammer.  More like WoW-lite.  Which in terms of sales, isn't a bad thing.  The game itself still looks unremarkable to me, but it will sell like crazy, and that's all anyone really seems to care about on release.

• gilgamesh9gilgamesh9 Member Posts: 133

Originally posted by Lumster

2. could be entirely your fault because you got no clue about PCs so stop trolling

100% the guy didn't file a report or went to the forums.......so he went here to bitch.......WHERE NO ONE CAN HELP YOU

u mad, bro?

• LumsterLumster Member Posts: 230

u mad, bro?

I find trolls just amusing, get a life.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

I know, that's some dayum big text.

• blazin-aceblazin-ace Member Posts: 302

Maybe he is just being considerate and civic minded toward  the poor people in the world that can't afford glasses.

O.O *Nods*

• c4viper1c4viper1 Member UncommonPosts: 28

hi everyone., i say hi cause ppl these last few years seem to have forgoten about it ... well but i digress, back to the subject, the OP goes on about swotr being the "wow slayer" this and that "wow slayer", in none of the post i´ve read, and i´ve read quite a few have i seen Bioware clamming swtor to be a "wow slayer", they might hope for it but never claimed it, other then wishfull thinking for fail on the OP´s side i think this post has no real value what so ever .

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Eir_S

I think it's unfair to compare the two since WAR had problems right out of the gate (though honestly, EA being involved in SWTOR doesn't give me the highest hopes).  If it fails in the long run it will be because it stuck too closely to the typical MMO formula that has been lazily reproduced time and time again (ie: Rift) - raids for end game, hot-key based MMOs with limited maneuever mechanics (eg: doesn't matter if you run, you'll still get hit by projectiles and enemy melee).  The only thing different is the presentation of story and frankly, that's not enough for me personally.  Others seem to be excited about it, however.

Hardly the next Warhammer.  More like WoW-lite.  Which in terms of sales, isn't a bad thing.  The game itself still looks unremarkable to me, but it will sell like crazy, and that's all anyone really seems to care about on release.

Agreed. WAR cut it's content several times before the releaseand in the last one the moved back the launch of 4 out of 6 cities which in itself forced them to remake the endgame really fast. They promised those cities were almost done and would be patched in soon, but we all know that was just a rather sad lie.

WAR had many warning bells ringing already before launch. Sure TOR got a few as well but not the critical ones like removed features and a problem with the beta code that only Vanguard and AoC could compete with.

I am not sure what TOR will be, but it wont be the next WAR.

WAR actually had a pretty good idea behind it and were supposed to have many cool features but the game that got released had very little in common with what it should have been. You know that when they change the endgame completely while the beta actually is up things will suck.

I wouldn't compare Bioware and Mythic either. Bioware have a load of successful games behin them, even if Neverwinter nights still is the closest to an online game. Mythic have DaoC which in many ways were a great game but it never had that many players even at it's peak.

• SugardadSugardad Member Posts: 11

warhammer online rocks my cocks in my socks, the only MMO that has made me keep playing for years, even from the very beginning you get the feeling "holy shit my char looks awsome", which i feel is a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE letdown in many many many mmos, which is that you look absolutely like shit till youre really near endgame.

and item appearances are very important, cause its so fucking boring and unmotivating to gain new items just for stats, you dont really feel like youve gained anything. "wow new boots with +5 stats from my old ones, im not gonna feel any difference"

of these games i think wow is one of the worst, you look like crap till you are at the end

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

Story and choice in an mmo will matter. If u want an mmorpg u have to have the rpg and biowre is given u that. This isnt gonna be a combat game with fps elements if u want that go play mmofps there are some out there. 

gw 2 may pull off all they wanna do. If they do great all those people wanting innovation will get some. 

i actually think story based mmo with choices that matter is innovative nothing i ever do in wow really matters even in the areas they phase. 

The reason peope come back to tor and others who have played tor in hands on cant get enough is the story. 

They have all stated u cant really describe how much of a diffrence the story full voice and choice means and how much better it makes mmos

thats what some reviews ive read have stated. So this game wont fail like warhammer. It wont reach wow levels but no game i mean no game will reach wow levels. 

wow had a once in a lifetime freak occurance. tor would love to hit wow numbers but i dont think even they expect that. 

Even though they do expect huge launch. i am not a twitch player and if combat in tor is anywhere the quality of the combat in dragon age 2 and mass effect this game will rock. 

The story alone is what i love so much about dragon age and mass effect. I cant play the rpgs that have me read shit anymore on my console because of bioware. 

• 4getting20094getting2009 Member UncommonPosts: 178

u mad, bro?

I find trolls just amusing, get a life.

This text makes me question my manhood....*looks down*....*cries*

Beta is Beta. The end.