Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: What do you think about ryzom now?

TheWarcTheWarc Member Posts: 1,199
What do you guys think about Ryzom?
Please leave your vote here..

Comments are always welcome..

Comments

• HashmanHashman Member Posts: 649

SoR gets a lot of things right, good crafting system the ability to craft anywhere without being tied to a workshop/forge etc. The gfx engine is good, but it is just lacking players at the moment. There were 20 on the newb isle when I tried trial. Also I didn't like the lack of music. I could see that it would be a grind and so voted for "This game has nothing for me". Even when I figured out prospecting and foraging, which is the best in any game bar none, the world just felt lonely and like a solo game. Shame because it has regular events and best customer service I've seen.

• TheWarcTheWarc Member Posts: 1,199

There were 20 on the newb isle when I tried trial.

Did you know that most of the people move on to the Mainland,
    And there are much more people there.
  • Smelly_ArmorSmelly_Armor Member UncommonPosts: 571

I agree with Warc. Get a few levels under your belt to figure out how things works, and then move to the main land. I spent a week on the noobie training Fyros island and wished I had went to the mainland sooner as you can find people to group with or hang out with not to mention you can get better items and xp. First day I was on the mainland, I grouped with about 10 people went to Dyron to see the event and got recruited into a guild.l There were othere groups of 5 to 10 people in Dryon and we passed several peeps on the way there. SoR has a large gaming world so there are times when it can feel sparse or lonely especially if you are on the NA server at 2 and 3 in the morning during a weekday when most people are in bed in the Americas.

As far as music is concerned, use SoR's ingame mp3 player or make your on playlist and run whatever player you use in the background. I've never been fond of any mmorpg's ingame music anyways.

• CopelandCopeland Member Posts: 1,955

I've been playing for just over a week. I have a 55 fighter 57 mage. I've only grouped a couple times since at these levels soloing is so fun. From what i've seen of group exp they really need to fix it. Its way too easy for a stupid player to screw the exp pool by using skills that are too high for the group. I've yet to be offered a spot in a guild but then i'm not really looking for that atm. I like to figure things out for myself. SoR is the best mmorpg going atm. Lets hope this games potential is fully realized.

*edit* oh and i spent 4 days soloing on the noob island. Much easier there to mow down levels. I'd stay until you had most of your stuff close to 40.

Copeland you are correct. Lets say you team up with three other people and head out to four ways to hunt or you choose to do some of the quests offered by various npcs in Pyr when you first get to the mainland. For arguments sake, lets say you are a lvl 25 melee fighter and there is one other melee fighter in the group say lvl 50. The other two PCs are spell casters both of the same level, let's say 25 for arguments sake as well. The xp you get for killing a mob will be borked for you because of the higher level melee fighter in the group. Let's say you normally would get 3k for a particular mob that is good for a group of your size and experience to tackle , which is the maximum xp you can get, it might be lowered to 1000xp or less if the melee fighter is too high of a level. The spell caster's xp gain might not be affected unless there was also a higher level spell caster in the group. It's best to try and group with people within 10 lvls of your current lvl before you hit lvl 50. After lvl 50, you can bump that up to within 20 lvls from my experience and so on.

I'm not sure on crafting and harvesting though since I haven't done much with those skills yet, but I know there are crafters and harvesters in the guild I'm a member of that group together on prospecting missions and excursions. They also grouped with others during the kitin invasion event to get resources packets together to help make more guards to help the PCs fend off the invasion. Along with this group were fighters and casters to help protect and heal them. That and to make sure the caravan got from point a to point b.

Originally posted by TheWarc

There were 20 on the newb isle when I tried trial.

Did you know that most of the people move on to the Mainland,
    And there are much more people there.

Yes I did, of course there will be. Newb quest "Welcome to Kaemon" was bugged for me I couldn't abandon it. image
  • MisfitZMisfitZ Member Posts: 368

Wow, awesome. I had a lengthy post typed up about my experience in the first few hours of the trial, and accidentally hit the back button on my mouse. image

Well, to summarize: My opinion of the game is that it stinks. For one particularly irritating reason go here : http://www.ryzom.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10566

Since I originally made that post, I went on to die at least a dozen more times, solely due to invisible weeny ragus'. Radar doesn't mean shit, If I'm engaging a mob and I see a red dot beelining for me, running isn't going to help me. The ragus' are faster. A lot. Besides, I don't want a "watch the radar" game. I want an RPG.

Anyways, that's only one glaring flaw that I found. And sure, it's a bug. It can be fixed, and probably will be, in tomorrow's patch.

What they aren't going to fix is the grinding. Sure, you don't have "Class Levels" but you have levels. And you don't even get a number telling you what you need to achieve to attain the next level, you get a little white bar. Killing monsters over and over and over and over isn't, to me, an RPG. It's an exercise in repetition. Boring.

Also, from reading in the main forums, I find out that ranged combat is broken. Is that why I couldn't find any ammunition for the pistol I bought? I don't know, either way I was pissed.

There seems to be a lot of problems with this game. Mounted players training mobs on players? Sounds great! Lag, and lots of it? Yay! My average ping was ~350, and I'm playing on a 1mbps cable. Yea, not the best connection, but I'm not going to upgrade for this game.

So, in the end, This game has nothing for me.

Although I did dig the artistic style. It just didn't look as good in-game. The Matis mask's are just awesome, though. Best part of the game. Not enough to keep me playing, but still cool.

[Edit] And through further reading of the main forums, I discover that the dev's never read them. The main forums. The devs don't read what their player base is saying about the game. Amazing. They think they can just keep shoveling the shit, and since they don't read the complaints, they aren't there? Pfft.[/Edit]

-----------------------------
    Listen Asmodeeus, seven years ago, Ultima Online didn't even have those pathetic "quests" that you refer to or those "professions" of ninja, samurai, necromancer, and paladin. Nor did it have any of the neon crap, or bug mounts. It didn't even have any "combat moves." You turned on attack and jousted with simplistic swings. It was a better game then. if you can't guess why then just uninstall the thing and move along. - Crabby

I don't know how much you've actually played the game, but the game does not have as many problems as you are making it out to be. Ranged combat is not broken. It works fine to my knowledge. I've used both pistols and rifles no probs, and I haven't heard of anybody else having a problem with it either. I haven't discovered any broken quests or missions or bugs yet. I've heard of that particular bug with the mob you mentioned, but that is it. Nevrax has done an excellent job with fixing any problems found and with customer service. A much better job than SoE could ever dream of doing. The devs, SoR and Nevrax staff do read the forums. I've even talked to a dev on SoR chat.

I don't have lag nor do the 20 or so people I play with on a regular basis.  What server were you playing on and where were you logging on from??? What type of system were you trying to play the game on??? Like EQ2, SoR requires a lot of memory.

The game might not be your cup of tea, but don't go making stuff up to trash the game cause you couldn't figure it out, didn't like it or it didn't run good on your system.

Well after getting killed the first time if you went back to the same place to hunt i'd question your logic. BTW if your hunting near a ragus your probably going to die if your solo or in a small group. They get hungry and are usually attracted to the weaker game. You and your prey both qualify as food to a ragus. Although its a bug that they're invisible its not a bug that they are faster than you. This is usually a good indicator that the place isnt all that safe for you to be hunting in. Its a big world find a better place to hunt. Actually you can outrun a ragus you just need the skills to do so. No matter where you hunt your going to die several times a day. Its called the risk factor and its the one thing SoR has over the other new games.

*edit* oh and if you cant find pistol/rifle ammo make it. It takes three commonly looted elements. Mostly you dont see it for sale because people aren't using the recipe to make dappers or skill up on they're using it to actually use the ammo. I'm not sure how ranged combat is broken. It works just fine for me.

and yes there is a grind to SoR. Thank god its not a game your going to max levels in a month or even 6 months.

Bitch, I'm not making up shit. Everything I posted either came from personal experience in the game, or from reading the official forums found at www.ryzom.com.

The ragus' found me if I went farther than ~150m away from the guards. Every exit from the newbie town had them around. Not that they were swarming, it was simply that they were inevitable.

Look, I can handle a difficult game. If there's a challenge of reasonable level for my character, it would be entertaining to attempt to overcome it. What I can't handle is an an impossibility. If it is impossible for me to kill two weeny ragus' at once, and yes they often attack in pairs, then sure, I shouldn't be going there. I should be what, grinding on the sucking/weanling yubas for another 3-4 hours, until getting backstabbed by invisible monsters is something I can handle?

Dying doesn't bother me that much, especially in SoR, which does have quite an easy DP. But I literally died over 20 times the first couple hours I played. That's not fun for me.

And, for the record, I was talking about, and pay special attention here: Ping. Not a low framerate. If this game couldn't run on my system, that would be a completely different subject. I'm playing from Alaska on 1.0mbps cable, I shouldn't have trouble playing on a North American server, if the company knows what they're doing. Apparently, this company could care less about offering a decent connection to the Northwest.

Listen Asmodeeus, seven years ago, Ultima Online didn't even have those pathetic "quests" that you refer to or those "professions" of ninja, samurai, necromancer, and paladin. Nor did it have any of the neon crap, or bug mounts. It didn't even have any "combat moves." You turned on attack and jousted with simplistic swings. It was a better game then. if you can't guess why then just uninstall the thing and move along. - Crabby

Originally posted by MisfitZ

Bitch, I'm not making up shit. Everything I posted either came from personal experience in the game, or from reading the official forums found at www.ryzom.com.

The ragus' found me if I went farther than ~150m away from the guards. Every exit from the newbie town had them around. Not that they were swarming, it was simply that they were inevitable.
    Look, I can handle a difficult game. If there's a challenge of reasonable level for my character, it would be entertaining to attempt to overcome it. What I can't handle is an an impossibility. If it is impossible for me to kill two weeny ragus' at once, and yes they often attack in pairs, then sure, I shouldn't be going there. I should be what, grinding on the sucking/weanling yubas for another 3-4 hours, until getting backstabbed by invisible monsters is something I can handle?
    Dying doesn't bother me that much, especially in SoR, which does have quite an easy DP. But I literally died over 20 times the first couple hours I played. That's not fun for me.
    And, for the record, I was talking about, and pay special attention here: Ping. Not a low framerate. If this game couldn't run on my system, that would be a completely different subject. I'm playing from Alaska on 1.0mbps cable, I shouldn't have trouble playing on a North American server, if the company knows what they're doing. Apparently, this company could care less about offering a decent connection to the Northwest.

Lol you stupid idiot, stop swearing..
    And btw, I don't have any of the problems you have..
    So don't blame the company, blame yourself.
  • imothebimotheb Member Posts: 2

This is not the best game out there becouse its simply not fully developed yet, lacks content wich in my opinion will be introduced over time and if its done right it will be amazing, there is still live events every weekends and getting better every time as well as some contests

At the start i confess i only stayed with the game because of its skill system and awesome graphics, that skill system allows you do do 4 things (melee, mage, craft and forage/mine) in many many different ways thus not having the grind sence from lvllling

The game got alot bether when i actually knew what i was doing and when i started meeting people (this game as some really mature and helpfull community, as it is it requires pacience and skill

About the ragus and gingos i can only say that this game is alot about exploration and its not easy to stay alive doing so, so if your passing a zone where you know theres ragus (or whatever bad) there if your not ready for anything its your fault, i died alot and learned from it now i kill or avoid what i cant kill

Theres also some roleplaying going on if your into that kind of stuff

This game or any other for that matter is about how you play it, it can be really fun if you know what your doing or if ypou don´t depends how you deal with it

Guilds are a must, knowledge and meeting people are a big part of this game and why it can be fun

Misfitz wrote:
    Bitch, I'm not making up shit. Everything I posted either came from personal experience in the game, or from reading the official forums found at www.ryzom.com

Hmmm, that was nice. I didn’t personally attack you or call you names::::15::, but I’m not going to be a baby about it or immature either so here is my rebuttal to some of your comments:

Misfitz wrote:
    And through further reading of the main forums, I discover that the dev's never read them. The main forums. The devs don't read what their player base is saying about the game. Amazing. They think they can just keep shoveling the shit, and since they don't read the complaints, they aren't there? Pfft.

I’ve read through most of the SoR forums as well and even on the European ones, and yes there are a few post that argue this point. It is in the small minority though with no proof to back it up as it is just opinion. Like I had stated earlier, I do know the devs are active as well as most of the SoR staff welcoming feed back on the game in all areas.

Misfitz wrote:

If you are dying that much, then you are doing something wrong. I feel for you cause that would tick me off to, and I would be throwing my keyboard and mouse across the room, but if you are dying that much, that should tell you that you are doing something wrong. You also shouldn’t be having to grind on weanling and suckling yubos for 3 and 4 hours either. I don’t know if you grouped any, but SoR is not a game meant to be a solo rp even though you can play it that way. I soloed to level 40 in melee and then started to group and rp’ing with people. Even though I am a member of a guild and often group with peeps, I occasionally feel like going out on a romp of my own. I have yet to die more than 3 times in a hour on my own. Another thing, when I do die, I often an able to chat on the region chat and get someone to come an rez me. I count maybe 7 times since I’ve started playing in January that I’ve had to get rid of dp.

Misfitz wrote:
    What they aren't going to fix is the grinding. Sure, you don't have "Class Levels" but you have levels. And you don't even get a number telling you what you need to achieve to attain the next level, you get a little white bar. Killing monsters over and over and over and over isn't, to me, an RPG. It's an exercise in repetition. Boring.

Every current mmorpg has some form of grinding to it when it comes to leveling whether it is in the beginning levels or shows up in higher levels when the xp/lvl is so skewed. In a mmorpg, it is up to the players in the game to rp more so than in a single player rpg. The mmorpg sets the main story line, the world, the atmosphere and then the players interact in this gaming world. With each patch and update, Nevrax continues to incorporate more and more of the promised content in the game. Taking up sides in being either pro Kami, or Karavan; helping fend off Kitin invasions and not necessarily just killing mobs where this is concerned, going around and completing missions to get bits of info, facts and story for your encyclopedia; and there is more promised to come.

I do feel like there should be more events, but as imotheb stated, SoR is really not a complete game yet as not all the content Nevrax has touted has been implemented into the game. I don’t know if it is the “best” mmorpg out there, but I enjoy it in addition to many more. The community maybe smaller than WoW or EQ2, but I don’t consider a popularity contest for bragging rights when I’m looking at playing game.

Misfitz wrote:
    Also, from reading in the main forums, I find out that ranged combat is broken. Is that why I couldn't find any ammunition for the pistol I bought? I don't know, either way I was pissed.

Ranged combat is not broken nor has it been broken since I’ve been playing in January. Ranged weapons and ammo can be found if you know which merchants to purchase from or look or ask other players if you don’t know. You can also get a crafter to make you ammo as well. One of the guys I group with on a regular basis, is a ranged combat fighter and uses both pistols and rifles depending on the combat situation with no problems, and he doesn’t have any trouble getting ammo for his weapons.

Misfitz wrote:

Misfitz, I know the difference between PING and FPS there ;p. I have 1.5mb dsl modem, am on the east coast and get good ping, generally below 100 most of the time. It might have something to do with the fact you are in Alaska, but I really don’t know. I know that there are people from Australia in my guild that play on the NA server and don’t get much lag either so I don’t know what to tell you there.

Like I stated earlier, SoR may not be your cup of tea Misfitz. No big deal. Don’t buy it if you don’t like it, and I hope you can find a game you do like. Just don’t trash a game because you don’t like it. For the record, I was not attacking your intelligence or ability to learn so chill and have a cold one on me ;p.::::20:: ::::28::

Misfitz wrote:
    Bitch, I'm not making up shit.

BTW, I’m not your b’iatch either.::::35::::::40:: Like I said earlier and as others have stated, if you are dying 20 times per hour or something similar to that, you are doing something wrong. If you can’t find ammo or get ammo made, I don’t know on this other than the fact you are not taking time to explore and ask around. My question to you would be have you asked for people to help you out in the game??? The SoR communtiy is a very friendly and helpful one. Your comment on the devs not reading the forums or responding to complaints and feeding the SoR community a bunch of bull is based on the opinions of minority few and conjecture. I was not happy with how Nevrax handled open beta, but customer support and feedback has been greatly improved after the official release of SoR.

Are there things that could be improved in SoR??? Yes, but this is true about most mmorpgs. SoR had good graphics, an interesting story and gaming world, kewl skill system, and good customer support and feedback. Does this make it the best mmorpg??? I don’t know, probably not, but it does make it a good game and a good mmorpg. Just my 2 dappers worth.::::40::

• NeasNeas Member Posts: 887

misfit dont even bother.

You see i fail to see the logic in posting this poll in a Ryzom Forum? where mainly ryzom folk come by. For instance after a week i wandered in and saw this.

Basically you may think your outnumbered by the other posters but in actual fact they are like 0.1% minority who actually like ryzom. The rest of us couldnt give a rats ass.

Just leave like i did :P. WoW is much better designed games sure it has lag problems but thats only cause its got 300 times more players than ryzom does so obviously you got crowd problems on the servers.

Either way not gonna waste any more on this thread.

Enjoy this you fanbois.... *hold up bait*

"Immmaa Hunting fanbois...Yup"

Beta Tested: Lineage 2, Ryzom, City of Heroes, RYL, EverQuest 2 World Of Warcraft European
    Truly Loved: World of Warcraft

Originally posted by Neas

misfit dont even bother.
    You see i fail to see the logic in posting this poll in a Ryzom Forum? where mainly ryzom folk come by. For instance after a week i wandered in and saw this.
    Basically you may think your outnumbered by the other posters but in actual fact they are like 0.1% minority who actually like ryzom. The rest of us couldnt give a rats ass.
    Just leave like i did :P. WoW is much better designed games sure it has lag problems but thats only cause its got 300 times more players than ryzom does so obviously you got crowd problems on the servers.
    Either way not gonna waste any more on this thread.
    Enjoy this you fanbois.... *hold up bait*
    "Immmaa Hunting fanbois...Yup"

If you are not being hypocritical.imageimage

Firstoff. I don't see any Ryzom players, including myself, going around bashing other games or trolling which is what you just did so whose the fanboy here.

Second. Just because X amount of people have subscribed to a game doesn't necessarily make it better.

Please give me an intelligent argument as to why you think WoW is a better game than SoR instead of just saying it has. Have you played SoR since open beta recently? If you have, give a itemized comparison between WoW and SoR.

I didn't stoop down to Misfitz level by calling him names or attacking him nor am I going to stoop to your level and trash another game. This isn't about a popularity contest.  If someone is dying 20 times an hour, whether its SoR, WoW, EQ1, EQ2 or [insert name of mmoprg here], they are doing something wrong.

This site has gone down hill, not the site itself but the quality of the site's population, in the last 6 months with people personally attacking others that disaggree with them and the mods doing nothing about it at all. There are so many fanboys trolling the forums just waiting to pounce in a thread and make a post(s) about how bad a paticular game sux or cut down someone who likes this game or that game that maybe there should be a new topic section added to the site for them.

Yes, I like SoR, but I'm not a fanboy. If you read my posts on this site you would know that Neas. I have told people to try out the SoR free trial and they'll either like it or they won't as everybody can't like everything. I'm not insecure about people playing other mmorpgs or likeing other mmorpgs. I think WoW is a good game and EQ2 too, though I'm not a big fan of SoE and there customer service reputation. I'm content with SoR having a smaller game pop than WoW or EQ2. If you like the game and have fun playing it, that is what counts and from Misfitz's post he did not. That doesn't make it a bad game though. All those that go around bashing and trashing other games makes me wonder if you play an mmorpg at all and if you do, are you happy with the game your playin and having fun.

god, I'm pissed now. Going to go play some America's Army and take my angry out by fraggin peeps in SF Hospital. Peace out.

I APOLOGIZE FOR THE SPELLING AND GRAMATICAL ERRORS AS IT'S LATE AND I'M GOING ON LITTLE SLEEP IN THE PAST 48 HOURS.

Second. Just because X amount of people have subscribed to a game doesn't necessarily make it better.

Actually he has..

Please give me an intelligent argument as to why you think WoW is a better game than SoR instead of just saying it has. Have you played SoR since open beta recently? If you have, give a itemized comparison between WoW and SoR.

He hasn't, he is turned into a WoW fanboy

Originally posted by RabidWerWolf
    They also grouped with others during the kitin invasion event to get resources packets together to help make more guards to help the PCs fend off the invasion.

"Help make more guards"?

You can actually make outposts now? Maybe you can explain how this works please?

Actually, I've decided to try SoR again, since I figured the patch would fix the ragus problem, and it has.

I only died twice today, in about 3 hours of play. Ragus' aren't very tough at all, when they aren't invisible.

You said, repeatedly, that it was I that was doing something wrong? The only thing I was doing wrong was venturing out of the range of the guards and trying to play a mage. Ragus' spawn all over the newbie island, and no, they aren't actually all that tough, WHEN YOU CAN SEE THEM.

Although I've found another irritating thing about this game, not sure if it's a bug or not. Vendors with no items whatsoever. Heavy armour vendor has nothing, medium armour vendor has nothing. That just sucks. Also, no vendors carry ammunition. Also sucks. Did I mention I abhor crafting?

And by the way, I consider being called a liar to be name-calling. Reacting in a similiar manner brought me to your level, not the other way around. Also, for the record, I don't consider anyone who defends the game they've chosen to play as a "fanboi". Different people, different preferences. People bash me because Wish's cancellation broke my heart, well, those people can go eat a bowl of man-sausages.

Hey Misfitz. I wasn't calling you a fanboy. That was in regards to Neas' comment. I don't think you are a fanboy, and I was sorry to hear Wish got canned to as I thought it was going to be a rather unique and interesting mmorpg. I also want to clarify, I didn't say you were making up the Ragus bug as I stated I knew this to be a bug as well and that there was a fix in the works for it, but I was referring to the comment you made about SoR staff and devs never reading the forums. This is something I should have clarified better.

Let me see if i can help with you not being able to find items in stock at the vendors and merchants. What area are you playing in...Fyros, Matis, Tryker, Zorai, ect.? I know that when I first started playing I had the same problem, until I asked someone if this was a bug in the game. They said no and told me I may need to change or adjust my filters to see what a merchant has available to sell. Do you know how do this? If not, I'll be more than happy to take some screen shots to show you what I'm talking about and post them for you. Better still, it might be easier to ask someone to show you how to do this if you don't know how.

• RohenRohen Member Posts: 143

Mmmh, as I see you're comment Misfitz, you never even left noob island... There isnt any heavy armor thats true on noob island, but thats because no one can craft it yet, or that it just takes to long to gather all the mats as a low level that it takes a long time to craft a full set. I personnally just asked in region chat if anybody could make heavy armor (on noob island) there was someone, he told me what maths he needed and then I started harvesting/fighting to get the mats, so after an afternoon hunting and harvesting i got my brand new shiny armor image

Just ask around while playing and you will get help (although i started a Zorai character lately and noticed it wasnt that good at zorai) but hey thats not the devs fault thats the players fault.

I have never had a problem to get good armor or weapons in mainland, just go to the merchants or ask around, join a guild... Possibilitys enough, you just need to do a bit of an effort to get it working and to understand the game, really it helps image

And the ragus prob is solfed now and ok it was really enoying but if you cant handle them then yeah maybay you should stick to yubos a bit longer. Magic leveling is hard in the beginning, so you better first level melee a bit so you get more Hp, after that you'll be able to level in magic more easily and if it gets tricky you can always fall back on your fighting skills image

Well, I gave Ryzom another try. Those ragus' were easy pie. Everything was, once I got my Fight to 20 and Magic to 20.

Then I went to the mainland, and lo and behold. It's the same frickin crap it was when I first created my character. Wow, nimble yubos! Scampering yubos. Even the fearsome spritely yubo. Light armour that isn't any better than the stuff I got on the newbie island. Neat new weapons, but really the gameplay is the same thing. Pull, kill, pull, kill.

I don't really like depending on other players to provide newbie gear for me. I'm not much of a social character, in-game. I like playing with people I know, and maybe the occassional nice person. Either way, I'm done with Ryzom. The game is all grind. Not interested, thanks.

The game does have a serious grind but its not all grind. If you dont like a grind then SoR really isnt the game for you though. Personally i like the grind. I like the challenges the game has. I like the invasions and the pvp. Once they add better loots and some high end raid content its going to be something special.