Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FORCE Junkies - Interview with Game Director James Ohlen PAX 2011

hexthem4nhexthem4n Member UncommonPosts: 18

Hello Everyone!

I would like to introduce our new website, FORCE Junkies. For those that have played RIFT you might know recognize the Junkie part as we are the creators of RIFTJunkies.com. Since we love videos games, and especially Star Wars, we're expanding to cover SWTOR.

Now I wouldn't be posting this just for the sake of saying hello without giving you guys something to watch. We were at PAX and met a whole lot of great Bioware guys which include Stephen Reid, James Ohlen, David Bass, Gabe Amatangelo and more! We were also welcomed warmly by the SWTOR fansite community and we got to meet the folks from Darth Hater, Torocast, CRR, AskaJedi and TORWars.

While meeting all these wonderful people we managed to take some time and talk with James Ohlen about a lot of different aspects on the game. I hope you enjoy the interview.

Interview: http://www.forcejunkies.com/2011/08/29/pax-2011-interview-with-game-director-james-ohlen/

Comments

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Heh, nice interview. Some things I didn't know, hadn't thought about (or had forgotten):

- each flashpoint, also L10 ones have a 'super difficult'/heroic version at Level 50.

- there are flashpoints that are purely for Republic or Empire.

- there'll be ingame appearance kits for the Companions available, which seems to mean that you'll be able to change the CC's appearance not only once when you gain a Companion, but also later on.

- there's different types of major encounters in flashpoints next to big boss encounters, one example of a different type is against waves of foes.

- there'll be puzzles in flashpoints (1 puzzle was one that was present in KOTOR and ME)

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

That was a good interview.  Not only a little new information, but some better explaination of old info too.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• DianicDianic Member Posts: 69

The one note about offering all of the dungeons again with "Super/Elite/Hard Mode" versions is nice.  Rift essentially did this.

I remember there were some dungeons that I skipped because I out-leveled them rather quickly.  Going back and doing them in a hardened version allowed me the chance to experience what I missed.

Rift even tacked on a few extra bosses in these modes, too.  I hope Star Wars does the same thing.  Instead of 4 bosses in the level 10 version, the level 50 version might have 6 - 7 bosses and the zone is a little bigger.

So much speculation and anticipation... it's like waiting for Christmas.  Really, the game can't come sooner!!!

• hexthem4nhexthem4n Member UncommonPosts: 18

Thanks for the great feedback!

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by Dianic

The one note about offering all of the dungeons again with "Super/Elite/Hard Mode" versions is nice.  Rift essentially did this.

I remember there were some dungeons that I skipped because I out-leveled them rather quickly.  Going back and doing them in a hardened version allowed me the chance to experience what I missed.

Rift even tacked on a few extra bosses in these modes, too.  I hope Star Wars does the same thing.  Instead of 4 bosses in the level 10 version, the level 50 version might have 6 - 7 bosses and the zone is a little bigger.

So much speculation and anticipation... it's like waiting for Christmas.  Really, the game can't come sooner!!!

City of heroes had different difficulty settings long before rift so there!

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by waynejr2

Originally posted by Dianic

City of heroes had different difficulty settings long before rift so there!

Geez, you aren't kidding.  The nice thing about City of Heroes is that the difficulty setting can be used for ANY mission, not just the "Big Ones".

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

Tor might not add bosses but there are diffrent ways to find optional bosses in flashpoints. your crafting proffessions can unlock new ways to go as well as choices in story that open up new options and even a diffrent boss then ud see otherwise.

Again a tangeable proof choice matters. As ceratain choices in flashpoints tend to determine what bosses u face or dont face. 

which means u could concievable hav ea diffrent experiance the first few times u run a flashpoint. Im sure eventually ud just be running the same bosses over but with choice u have the chance to have a compltly diffrent experiance the first few times u run it.