Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wizards and Champions Open Beta Announed (end of Sept)

KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Wizards and Champions Open Beta date is set for end of September.

WAC is a micro-budget MMORPG that is probably under the radar for most MMORPG players.  It's unique in the MMO genre in that it is not a corporate driven game and is being solo-developed.

How bad could it be?  Well it's not going to win any awards for graphics, and it's certainly not loaded with modern features.  However, the engine and client are doing well and it should be relatively bug-free.

Gameplay is single faction PVE with dungeons and crafting.  The design is loosely based on classic RPGs.  It is intended as a true "Massively Multiplayer" gameplay with NO INSTANCING.

Access will be Free to Play.  No cash shop is planned, but might happen in the future.  Intent is to support the game with web site advertising for sponsors.

It runs well on old and new hardware, tested and functional as far back as a 2002 Celeron 1.5 laptop.  Windows 2000 or better with 64 meg video and 512 meg RAM, DX9 drivers required (looks much better at max settings on modern systems).

Hype??  haha... none at all.  This is one of those games that will take a miracle to even get to release.  image

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.

Comments

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

Isn't this game supposed to be some kind of mmo version of facebook or something like that? I think I remember you saying one time that the goal is for anyone to be able to pick it up and be playing in the thick of it in 5 minutes or less, and that the game really wasn't very strategy focused. Is that right?

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Originally posted by Jimmac

Isn't this game supposed to be some kind of mmo version of facebook or something like that? I think I remember you saying one time that the goal is for anyone to be able to pick it up and be playing in the thick of it in 5 minutes or less, and that the game really wasn't very strategy focused. Is that right?

The facebook reference is to the ease of entrance to gameplay.  What I'm shooting for in that regard is something easy to learn, with a UI that's not confusing and without mechanics that would bog down a new player.  Most of the reason for this is that the game really isn't designed to grab and hold experienced players.  Most wouldn't touch a game on this budget level and I don't have the resources to do a game with significant depth.  If I'm to get any sort of a playerbase, many will be people new to the genre picking up a game that's not hard to learn.

I can offer a few examples:

Stat gains on level up are automatic.  In classic RPG this would be go to a menu, pick the stats you want to level and bump them up.  In WAC, based on class the stats jump with the normal needs of the class.  There's a bit of depth with advancement points which sort of replace talent tree.  One can specialize a mage for solo which increases health and mana, or for DPS which increases mana and magic damage bonus but leaves them quite fragile.  Even this is easy because there is a RESET function that allows a player to respec at any time with no cost.

Another example is pets.  When a pet class summons (necromancer) or tames (hunter) a pet, the pet comes in at the players level automatically.  There's no levelling up a pet, it does this on its own when the player levels.  The henchmen are more complex because they need gear in their inventory.  Even so, this is simple... just purchase the gear and equipt it for them.  They even auto learn new spells as they level up.

I didn't go so far as to wrap the game in a cutesy art theme.  I don't want to turn people off with characters that look like 9 year old girls, or the art-style where you go around farming smiley faced mushrooms or harvest from a field of smiling daisies.  I probably would have the potential to make more money if I did, but I'm really not shooting for that low of an age group.  Also, I'd eventually like to work for someone else building a higher budget title, and I'd rather not be pigeon holed as the guy who solo-created a "cute" game.

WAC is more like if you have a 12 year old nephew who wants to try an MMO, this wouldn't be a bad starter game.  It might also work for a casual who just wants something to kill some time.  It's not, and will never be "pay to win".  Leveling is fast.  It's easy to learn.

Also for me it feels right to build something a bit old-school.  People are so into heavily instanced quest-grinders that might as well be single player games.  I'm hoping to show that old-school gaming where playing with others isn't so bad and maybe build a bit of a community.  I've PUG'd in WAC with some of my testers and had great fun.  In a way it might appeal to gamers who want to find that "retro" feel of classic EQ.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Watched the video. Ken, you have to give yourself more credit, man. :)  Your project seems to be headed in a great direction and you're moving along just fine.

Keep up the great work! image

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Watched the video. Ken, you have to give yourself more credit, man. :)  Your project seems to be headed in a great direction and you're moving along just fine.

Keep up the great work! image

Thanks, glad you approve.

I'm working with the TGEA engine.   I liked TGE but the OpenGL doesn't play well on new systems.  Withe TGEA I get at least some of the fancy shader effects and I've modded it to fall back to DX8 on old hardware.  I might try the new T3D some day, but I don't want to spend another year tweaking out the engine.

Here's some links for those who are curious:

www.GarageGames.com (engines)

www.MMORPGMaker.com (community site, Torque, Hero, Big World, and others)

www.MMOWorkshop.com (MMO extensions for Torque, beware some are not quite production ready)

• TheOtterTheOtter Member UncommonPosts: 46

Very nice video. I'm looking forward to doing some testing for you.

Originally posted by TheOtter

Very nice video. I'm looking forward to doing some testing for you.

This won't make sense to others, but if TheOtter is who I suspect.  /bow  A pleasure running into you.

Even if not, still a pleasure :-)

I'm a suspect?! I swear I didn't do it!

Who am I supposed to be? ;)

• TalthanysTalthanys Member Posts: 458

Really nice, man! I like it. Supporting start ups is what I like to do, and I think you are off to a great start. Good luck with everything.

I'm a suspect?! I swear I didn't do it!

Who am I supposed to be? ;)

Are you mad?  *that's a hint*  If not, you share a name with a dev that I know.

I am a professional developer but nothing to due with being mad. My projects have been:

Sorry to disappoint :(

I am a professional developer but nothing to due with being mad. My projects have been:

DPS, Blizz,BW,Funcom

Sorry to disappoint :(

No disappointment at all.  Just a long shot connection based on the name.

Their A Mystical Land is based on the same tech I use under the hood.

RE: DPS, Blizz,BW,Funcom

Grats on the gigs!  Closest to a game company that I've worked for was the US Government.  Just as much fantasy, but no cool 3D graphics :-)

• DevalonDevalon Member UncommonPosts: 496

Why are you making the same game as every other mmo? I watch the hole video hoping to see something new but it all the same. There have been many mmos that werent instance and "sandbox". For example, shadowbane.

Anyway why arnt you doing anything new? You should take a look at Realm of the Mad God. It start simple and it growing.

You should do the same. Find something unique and do something with it.

Also. Please, for the few intellegent people still left in this world, don't call your game sandbox when you have levels or other advancment like skill leveling. The hole concept of these limit it to a thempark design.

--
    "Any free people have the right to choose how it wants to be govern thats the essence of democracy. It's sad when America has chosen for the stability and consistency of a dictatorship and doing it democratically" -utnow

The term "sandbox" seems to be so cliche now. While his video did not show much of the game, it also did not give many details. From what I gather, he is trying to go "old school".

Just because something isn't "unique" doesn't mean it is bad. He took an idea he had andh as pursued it to the beta phase. That is a lot of commitment, more than I suspect you would have. From a marketing standpoint, unique just doesn't sell. That is why you see games like SWTOR following the tried and true MMO desiogn theory with some additions. Regardless of how well you like it, that is what sells currently. Unique, sandbox and radical simply are too risky right now, especially for small developers. While I applaud any developer who tries something new, I understand the pressure from investors/bank account to stay safe.

The developer seems to be doing this mostly out of his own will, not out of a desire to make a fortune or appease investors. That alone should give this developer some credit. What he will need to focus on is community and patching. He certainly won't get a sustainable audience with graphics or radical gameplay, so he will need to focus on retaining players and showing his game for what it is.

He seems to have his heart in the right place and I hope he is successful. So instead of bashing him for not making some stupid sandbox or risking his hard work with some strange design, applaud the efforts of a single developer making a very complex project.

• DevalonDevalon Member UncommonPosts: 496

The term "sandbox" seems to be so cliche now. While his video did not show much of the game, it also did not give many details. From what I gather, he is trying to go "old school".

Just because something isn't "unique" doesn't mean it is bad. He took an idea he had andh as pursued it to the beta phase. That is a lot of commitment, more than I suspect you would have. From a marketing standpoint, unique just doesn't sell. That is why you see games like SWTOR following the tried and true MMO desiogn theory with some additions. Regardless of how well you like it, that is what sells currently. Unique, sandbox and radical simply are too risky right now, especially for small developers. While I applaud any developer who tries something new, I understand the pressure from investors/bank account to stay safe.

The developer seems to be doing this mostly out of his own will, not out of a desire to make a fortune or appease investors. That alone should give this developer some credit. What he will need to focus on is community and patching. He certainly won't get a sustainable audience with graphics or radical gameplay, so he will need to focus on retaining players and showing his game for what it is.

He seems to have his heart in the right place and I hope he is successful. So instead of bashing him for not making some stupid sandbox or risking his hard work with some strange design, applaud the efforts of a single developer making a very complex project.

Yes but unique all he got to get customers like me. Im not complaining about people following the tried and true design. Nor do I dislike it. I just hoping to see something new and ask why he isnt trying to do something new with the open world stuff.

Also, I dont understand why you insult me about my commitment nor did I bash him. All I did was ask him questions. Please refrain from insulting me further.

--
    "Any free people have the right to choose how it wants to be govern thats the essence of democracy. It's sad when America has chosen for the stability and consistency of a dictatorship and doing it democratically" -utnow

It certinaly seemed like you dislike people who don't do something unique. And I wasn't insulting you, I simply said I doubt you have the commitment to pursue a MMO to completion (neither do I). Since you asked like such a gentleman to not be "insulted" further, I will happily oblige.

• XexvXexv Member Posts: 308

Hey Ken meant to comment on this earlier but I've been busy. Anyway it's good to see you're progressing well, do keep us updated as I'll definitely be along come October to give the beta a thorough playtest ;)

Originally posted by Devalon

Why are you making the same game as every other mmo? I watch the hole video hoping to see something new but it all the same. There have been many mmos that werent instance and "sandbox". For example, shadowbane.

Anyway why arnt you doing anything new? You should take a look at Realm of the Mad God. It start simple and it growing.

You should do the same. Find something unique and do something with it.

Also. Please, for the few intellegent people still left in this world, don't call your game sandbox when you have levels or other advancment like skill leveling. The hole concept of these limit it to a thempark design.

No worry on the sandbox part.  I don't have the resources to make a good one, I don't want to make a bad one, and I'm not classifying WAC as a sandbox.

Best description of WAC would be:  An easy to learn, easy to play themepark that is closer to the very early themeparks where quest progression was not the norm (quests were for rewards) and group gameplay is strongly encouraged.

There's nothing in terms of player created content.  There are classes, levels and gear progression.  There is no in game political system.

The reason I talk about sandboxes in the video is to explain why WAC is NOT becoming one.

I have some very excellent people helping me with the process of game design through their consulting.  One of them gave me a very detailed list of things that would need to be in a sandbox to make a good one.  Given that I'm working with an engine that's designed to make an EQ clone, there was no way possible I could make a GOOD sandbox.  I simply cannot whip this engine into features it wasn't designed for and still meet any reasonable release date.

My decision was to ditch the few sandbox elements I did have and rebuild the world as themepark, but with a "classic" feel.

That decision sort of hurt me because I may have pissed off a few testers.  However, the plan is to start the next game "RealmLords Phoenix" as an MMOFPS with twitch combat with FFA and Guild vs Guild PVP.  Hopefully that will appease the few who are less than happy with me at the moment.

Agreed, there's nothing overly special or unique about WAC other than not using instancing, and promoting group play instead of soloing.  My hope is that these two will be enough to draw a decent playerbase.  That and the fact that the whole thing is free with no cash shop*.

* initial release will not include a cash shop.  I don't want to run a pay to win and hope to fund the game with advertising.  I don't rule out a cash shop later as long as it doesn't imbalance the game.

Originally posted by Xexv

Hey Ken meant to comment on this earlier but I've been busy. Anyway it's good to see you're progressing well, do keep us updated as I'll definitely be along come October to give the beta a thorough playtest ;)

Good to see you.  If you have time, keep an eye on the forum on WAC.  Tech test this weekend (hopefully) for those who can help with the alpha stage.

I'm using tons of stuff from RealmLords and my earlier WAC so I should be able to pull this together pretty fast.

While his video did not show much of the game, it also did not give many details. From what I gather, he is trying to go "old school".

That's it.  Oh, and for you and any others, I'm more than happy to field questions.

I don't keep secrets.  I don't believe in hype.  There's not even an NDA for the alpha testers.  I'm glad to answer questions or concerns, and I love feedback even criticisism as long as its constructive.

I learn much about MMO design from players and testers.

• momodigmomodig Member UncommonPosts: 555

I played some of this DEVs game in the past, very fun - old school... but I have a problem taking him serious, he must have made 3-5 rpgs games now... so it's hard for me to get involved with his games, knowing something I like will be canned for something new.

• FeralLokiFeralLoki Member UncommonPosts: 134

i wont go to www.wizardsandchampions.com because i refuse to look at websites that looks like its from 1997 and made with Frontpage :)

Originally posted by FeralLoki

i wont go to www.wizardsandchampions.com because i refuse to look at websites that looks like its from 1997 and made with Frontpage :)

Perfectly understandable.  No staff, low budget.  If the web site is offensive, it's not likely you'd be comfortable with the game.

Originally posted by momodig

I played some of this DEVs game in the past, very fun - old school... but I have a problem taking him serious, he must have made 3-5 rpgs games now... so it's hard for me to get involved with his games, knowing something I like will be canned for something new.

I'm okay with you feeling that way.  I would be skeptical also.

Dumping RealmLords was a tough choice.  Honestly I still can't say if it was a wise decision.  The old OpenGL ran badly on modern systems.  I screwed up the mix of sandbox-themepark and managed to produce a game that had the worst of both sides, and none of the draw of either.

WAC development hasn't gone well either.  Original design was as a lobby based dungeon runner.  I added overlands and seriously goofed up the lobby design (lobby and overworld in the same game is confusing).  I started on what was supposed to be endgame and decided to go full overland with a seamless world designed like Morrowind.  Seamless didn't work well because it slowed the client down and the servers couldn't handle having several thousand mobs in one zone.  I tried a conversion to something like DAOC with 3 continents still using seamless but smaller and both the client and engine still had issues.

Long string of failures and bad decisions.  Yep.

What triggered the current design was my realization that I can't keep being so unrealistic about what I have to work with.  KISS (keep it simple stupid) became the motto.  I hope it works.

With 3 1/2 years in, I am either going to produce a workable game or admit my own defeat.  That's my reality at this point.  No more feature creep.  No more radical design changes.  End of September it opens regardless of level of completion.  So I bust ass and try to get it all pulled together.

Fortunately I have tons of work archived from earlier versions and I'm now down to assembling the final game.

If anyone is curious, here is vid from my earlier game.  Skip the first 45 seconds of corny intro.

YouTube (10 mins)  RealmLords 1-10 gameplay sped up to fit in 10 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk8NfhhU4jU

• ValefanValefan Member Posts: 15

Someone hire this guy as a designer, or give him some money, now! :o

Am i a hero? Well, i don't think Churchill, Perseus or Batman thought of themselves as heroes.. But yes.

Originally posted by Valefan

Someone hire this guy as a designer, or give him some money, now! :o

I need this person as business manager :)

Cya, back to work for me.