Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wizards and Champions current alpha video w/dev notes

KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Current iteration of WAC development overview with video from wilderness area.

WAC is a micro-budget F2P MMO that's the creation of a solo developer.  Realistically it's way below the radar of most MMO players.  Some might find it of interest because it's not a typical corporate developed game.

YouTube - 14 mins

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1xYAVl7PQA

P.S. This isn't a ZOMG, ultra-hype my game is da coolist sh*t ever video.  Far from it.  This is my second MMO, my first flopped for many reasons.  I just want to see if I can pull of a solo developed game that's even close to something worth playing.  I'm skeptical, but trying anyway.  A challenge or exercise of stupidity... probably both :-)   Either way I'm having fun trying. ~ Ken

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.

Comments

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

You should trick people into helping you out for free somehow.  :D

I actually have friends who can do a lot of the things needed for game design (Including coding), but they spend too much time playing games and being unemployed and can't seem to be motivated into doing something even as half-assed as a mod, though they talk about it. :P

So I'm impressed you're tackling this single-handedly.  Just think you need like artist and writer friends to give you free help. :P

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

First off, I'm not really opposed to the idea of working with others, but there are a couple of reasons I don't.

I'm kind of what could be described as an ass.  At very least the "doesn't work well with others" description fits.  It might be OCD... I wouldn't doubt it.  It might be the influence of Scorpio (yeah, I'm an astro goof).  I fly by intuition which blows group coordination.  Eeek, I sound like a neurotic even self-discribed. 

On the other side, I feel the need to prove myself when asking for help.  Ever see these community organizer types who think they can say "Hey, let's build a game... come on, who's with me?"... then everyone just sort of nods with a polite "good luck" and walks out.  I've seen it too often.  I want to "here is what I have done, how can WE make it better?"  I've never made it to the point where I felt comfortable in doing so.

I recall our conversations clearly.  One point you mentioned is that "any game mechanics that can be explained with lore becomes significantly prettier".  I agree.  I'm not very good at "pretty"... it's just not how I think.  I do realize that pretty and polish are very much the same.  I used to work with a movie director a learned a bit of the process of screenwriting.  Everything has to have a reason, and that reason has to contribute to the story and make sense.  I can see that applied to game development.  Engine, UI, game mechanics, lore, and even artwork all have to work together and make sense.  When they do, that's polish.

My plan is to keep hammering out framework and write tools in anticipation of future needs.  When timing is right, things will start falling together.  I'm expecting that will include polish.

Good to hear from you.  Pardon my being chatty, and thanks for the feedback.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.