Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stay away from the new Conan movie

YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

It is tripe, utter tripe. So if you preciate the original Conan movie or Conan in general, then stay far away from this cheap Hollywood reproduction.

The acting is crap, the story makes no sense and not even the combat is all that good (just gory). Basically it felt more like The Mummy than Conan.

Comments

• Scubie67Scubie67 Member UncommonPosts: 462

Havent seen it yet but If the acting is better in  Arnold's version  it must be REALLY bad

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

I guess you went in expecting some Thespian quality acting.  It's Conan!  He kills people, drinks too much and bangs women.  Not much to it really.

I saw the movie and I enjoyed it.  Sure it's a bit cheesy/campy but for what it's worth I didn't regret paying for it.  Do take my enthusiasm toward the movie with a grain of salt though.  Conan is the only comic book I've ever liked and I still have a huge stack of them that I add to now and again so this was good by me.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Just because it is Conan is no excuse for poor acting. In any case, that was not my biggest gripe. The story made little sense and was basically just an excuse for having Conan go around and killing people.

No credible explanation was given for Conan being this mighty warrior beside that he was, literally conceived on a battle field, like that would make you a better swordsman.

To compare, rotten tomatoes aggregated rating for the two Conans:

1982 Conan - 75%

2011 Conan - 22%

The game is utter and complete garbage...

• jamie909jamie909 Member Posts: 11

I haven't check out the movie yet. As you have told us I am now curious of the movie. Maybe I'll try to watch it and get the impression. Thanks for the information. Good to see the movie before I comment on this.

• abcrotta63abcrotta63 Member Posts: 10

This movie, on so many levels, is dog vomit.

Might it be enjoyable dog vomit (and what a horrible concept that is to consider)?

The pacing was bad. The editing was bad. The effects weren’t quite over-the-top enough to be good in that way that The Scorpion King is good-bad. The plot. Oh god the plot. I hope, for the writer’s sake, that the plot holes in this movie were from the horrid editing and not from the writing; otherwise the writer should be shot out to sea via trebuchet. The details of the story set me to scratching my head through most of the movie and asking the question, “Why?”

I know I just instituted it but I’m going to throw out my spoiler policy for this review. If I spoil the movie for you and you don’t go see it, I will have done you a favor of saving you at least $10. If you care that much about this movie, stop reading.

• WaldoCornWaldoCorn Member UncommonPosts: 235

Well thats too bad, as the first movie, was a big let down for me, having been a reader of the orginal Authors work.

If you want real Conan, read Robert E. Howards work, edited by Lin Carter, and L Sprague de Camp. There are prbably a dozen or so paperbacks, in the collection. (it's easier than finding 80 yr old comic books and piecing the stories together) and includes a few full Novels.

While the other Authors, who wrote Conan have some flare, for my buck, few compare to Howard. Some even derail significant portions, of Conan's life (hense the first movie).

See the world and all within it.
    Live a lifetime in every minute.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

LOL Rotten Tomatoes barrely rates it.  Glad I saved my money.   :)  

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

How you guys can't see that coming from miles away?