Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Atmospheric Flight on Test Center

kb056kb056 Member CommonPosts: 423

"There's nothing that can compare to seeing Hjal's expression when you tell him in person that you would like to take your ships out of your datapad on the ground and fly around in them =)" -- Teesquared's Producer Note, March 2011

Atmospheric Flight

• Atmospheric flight is allowed on any of the original 10 ground planets (Corellia, Dantooine, Dathomir, Endor, Lok, Naboo, Rori, Talus, Tatooine, and Yavin 4).

• Use the Launch Ship radial menu option from the ship control device in the datapad to launch the ship into atmospheric flight.

• Use the Land Ship radial menu option from the ship control device in the datapad to land/store the ship from atmospheric flight.

• Once in flight, use the newly added /inviteShip (or /target , followed by /inviteShip) command to invite passengers/gunners aboard the ship (either POB ship or non-POB ship with a currently unoccupied turret slot).

• Passengers/gunners can leave the ship by using /escapePod or the escape hatch.

• The ship owner can kick passengers/gunners off the ship using the existing /kickFromShip command.

• If the ship hits the terrain while flying, it will sustain damage proportionate to the speed.

• All forms of ship-to-ship PvP are available while in atmospheric flight - factional and privateer factional helper (/spacepvprebel, /spacepvpimperial, /spacefaction), player bounty system, guild war, guild squad PvP, duel.

• Player bounty system and guild war exemption/exclusive status fall under the "space" ruleset while in atmospheric flight.

• If the ship is special forces (including privateer factional helper special forces ship) while in atmospheric flight, GCW factional presence is granted to occupants with the same faction as the ship, regardless of the occupant's special forces/combatant/on leave status. If any occupant is granted GCW factional presence, the ship is reported on the GCW Factional Presence window of the War Terminal/War Intel Pad/War Table, but NOT pinpointed on the planet map.

• 10 new "airspace" GCW score regions/categories have been added (like Naboo Airspace, Rori Airspace, etc). GCW score contribution made while in atmospheric flight (including factional presence) will apply to the planet's corresponding "airspace" GCW score region/category. Each "airspace" GCW score region/category will contribute the same percentage to the planet's and galaxy's GCW score as a single ground GCW contested region.

• While in atmospheric flight, the planet map will display in the window title the score of just the "airspace" GCW region/category for that planet.

• GCW score contribution from factional ship-to-ship PvP kill in atmospheric flight will contribute to the GCW space PvP score category of the space zone corresponding to the planet. For example, factional ship-to-ship PvP kill in atmospheric flight in Tatooine airspace will contribute to the "Tatoo System Player vs Player" GCW score category. Rori airspace will contribute to the Naboo System, and Talus airspace will contribute to the Corellian System.

NOTE: We are releasing Atmospheric Flight to public test so you can experience this very cool (and much requested) feature. We will decide when/if to release it to live based on the TC/TC Prime testing. Let us know about any issues or suggestions you have. We hope you enjoy flying with us! =)

Comments

• GravezGravez Member Posts: 249

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

SOE were not allowed to do stuff like this beforehand, as LA disallowed it.

Also in the next update, spice returns to Smugglers, as LA now lifts the ban for that too, or SOE don't care as LA can not do anything else as they are already shutting down the game

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14287864

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=657448

Anyone who does not think that LA had any part in restricting what SOE could do with SWG (and no doubt will do the same with SWTOR too), are naive

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

So if LA banned spice, why did it stay from 2003 to the end of 2005, instead of the first month or even beta in 2003?

Before the CU was released, SOE experimented with atomsphere flight (I remember devs talking about it) and said they were having problems with it, they even did object collision testing, which again caused problems, I remember on TC driving the Flashspeeder between doorways in Mos Espa and getting stuck.

Originally posted by sookster54

So if LA banned spice, why did it stay from 2003 to the end of 2005, instead of the first month or even beta in 2003?

Before the CU was released, SOE experimented with atomsphere flight (I remember devs talking about it) and said they were having problems with it, they even did object collision testing, which again caused problems, I remember on TC driving the Flashspeeder between doorways in Mos Espa and getting stuck.

Spice got removed, because LA wanted it attract more people. The age rating for the game dropped too if you looked at the loading screens.

• darthderpdarthderp Member Posts: 1

so like, i cant even stay on the test center for dc'ing every 5 sec, anyone know what might be wrong?

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

They add this now?!  How stupid is that?

• XexvXexv Member Posts: 308

Originally posted by Teala

It's either stupidity or genius, possibly both.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

It's probably just a last hoorah knowing that the game is going down either way.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

Yep i'm gonna have to resuscribe Sept.15 for sure now. That looks like it would be fun.

Going out in a blaze of glory the Ol' Girl is!

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

Originally posted by bartoni33

Yep i'm gonna have to resuscribe Sept.15 for sure now. That looks like it would be fun.

You can sub now, and will be good to the end. They are now no longer charging people after Sep 15th

There is no guarantees that the Atmospehric Flight will be put on to live, although hopefully it will, if you read the red text, and could be gone from TC by Sep 15th, although if not going on live may be on TC longer, but is definately worth subbing for this alone, even if just playing it on TC

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by superniceguy

Also in the next update, spice returns to Smugglers, as LA now lifts the ban for that too, or SOE don't care as LA can not do anything else as they are already shutting down the game

Anyone who does not think that LA had any part in restricting what SOE could do with SWG (and no doubt will do the same with SWTOR too), are naive

Neither of those 2 links are on-topic, nor does either do anything to support your false claims that Lucas Arts didn't allow these things.

SOE was the developer - SOE is responsible.

In fact...

SOE STILL holds Lucas Arts licenses and SOE currently runs the only TWO Star Wars MMOs. They are shutting ONE down, while leaving the other still running - so please stop spreading lies about Lucas Arts (SWG and Clone Wars adventures).

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

Originally posted by bartoni33

yup that was their plan, add this so they can milk the players one last time.

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831

For 7 years I begged for this...I want a T-16 hopper!

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Considering the source I would say it is working as intended.

• NasjaNasja Member Posts: 47

What some of may not know is that "SOE" probably never planned to add this to the game. They could but they didn't and "they" don't do it now either. From what I know, one of the SOE Devs (Hjal) was working on atmospheric flight in his free time at home.

The more likely explanation why we never had this is because they didn't want to try it. Too much work in something they really didn't know anything about. But if something can be added that would likely keep people playing and possibly get people to subscribe just before the end, why not?

Originally posted by TUX426

Neither of those 2 links are on-topic, nor does either do anything to support your false claims that Lucas Arts didn't allow these things.

In fact...

SOE STILL holds Lucas Arts licenses and SOE currently runs the only TWO Star Wars MMOs. They are shutting ONE down, while leaving the other still running - so please stop spreading lies about Lucas Arts (SWG and Clone Wars adventures).

Clone Wars Adventures is not an MMO, it just a compendium of online games.

What I said was not lies, unless the reliable source is wrong, but a rule of the internet is not believe everything you read, however, I will take what they said over what you said as you are not what I would class as a reliable source in the matter, with your hatred towards SOE/SWG

• ericlatrelleericlatrelle Member UncommonPosts: 176

In fact...

What I said was not lies, unless the reliable source is wrong, but a rule of the internet is not believe everything you read, however, I will take what they said over what you said as you are not what I would class as a reliable source in the matter, with your hatred towards SOE/SWG

Neither are you with your blind devotion to SOE/SWG. Not to mention that in every thread that you post in, have been blatantly lieing about a multitude of things.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by ericlatrelle

In fact...

Neither are you with your blind devotion to SOE/SWG. Not to mention that in every thread that you post in, have been blatantly lieing about a multitude of things.

QFE!

Super, you claim your source is "reliable", but I provide links that quote SOE's very own John Smedley that refute your "friends" claims.

And you can call Clone Wars Adventures whatever you like, but it is classified as an MMO and it's licensed as such.

Facts are facts.

• Trident9259Trident9259 Member UncommonPosts: 860

In fact...

I would like to know where you get all this juicy information superniceguy.

because i am not inclined to believe any of your nonsense.

first: under what possible grounds would LA disallow atmospheric flight? And why would they allow it now? And why would they allow instead mediaval armor and flying ewoks?

Why would LA allow spice at release only to tell SOE to take it out 2 years later? Wouldn't you agree it is a much more credible story the fact that SOE removed it because it didn't fit with their new "target audience"? (ie: 5 - 15 year olds)?

And what difference does it make if CWA is or is not an MMO? Its a bloody Star Wars game licenced by LA.

And what's up with those links you included? 

Thank you for the internet tip. Funny it comes from you when you are colaborating to substantiate your claim.