Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World's planned business model

PiasekPiasek Member Posts: 318

During today's quarterly financial presentation Funcom presented the initial overview on the planned business model for The Secret World.

At the presentation we revealed that The Secret World will feature a traditional paid subscription model combined with micro-transactions through an in-game store. This information was provided as part of Funcom's financial forecast going forward, and no further details were given due to the fact that we are still working on finalizing the model.

We are very excited about introducing an in-game store already from launch. Being able to integrate the store into the actual design of the game pre-launch gives us opportunities you do not normally get when introducing a store after you have launched a game.

We will be revealing more information about the store at a later date, but what we can say for now is that it will focus mostly on character customisation and convenience items such as clothing - of which The Secret World will offer a ton of variety! As developers we are being very careful in making sure that items purchased through the store does not give players any unfair advantage against those who do not use the in-game store.

Character power in The Secret World will be determined by how well you play the game, not how much money you are willing to put into it.

We look forward to revealing more about the in-game store as we progress towards launch!

Sincerely,

Funcom

Source: The Secret World's planned business model

Few publishers said same thing at start, that IS will not give any advandage in game, but we all know that it can change after "months".

I personaly have hope to check beta, monthy fee model its ok for me, if i enjoy the game. But after that statement regarding IS, i will check 2-3 months till i pay and see what IS will bring.

Comments

• ChimpsChimps Member Posts: 192

Looking at the game i personally feel it's not a P2P game. Just a really good F2P game.

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by Piasek

We are very excited about introducing an in-game store already from launch. Being able to integrate the store into the actual design of the game pre-launch gives us opportunities you do not normally get when introducing a store after you have launched a game.

We will be revealing more information about the store at a later date, but what we can say for now is that it will focus mostly on character customisation and convenience items such as clothing - of which The Secret World will offer a ton of variety! As developers we are being very careful in making sure that items purchased through the store does not give players any unfair advantage against those who do not use the in-game store.

Character power in The Secret World will be determined by how well you play the game, not how much money you are willing to put into it.

I am more than a little interested in this game, but this little part bothers me, especially the part in green.  The only thing I see this giving them is MORE stuff to make you buy that should be coming with the monthly subscription price.  The next two paragraphs make me feel a little better, but not much.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

How upsetting is that :( I was so hyped for the game, but Item store and sub? Sorry but if want to get mugged I can do that on any street in my fair city. What is wrong with these greedy pricks.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• PiasekPiasek Member Posts: 318

On second thought its quite smart move from their path. Implementing IS from game start, saying it will not give any game advantage will not make any concerns from players sides.

If they make such a move after few months, well it can make some concerns..played could ask why? We paying fees, game fall?!. But now its quite good move.

My problem Piasek, is I believe that giving people a reason to stick around is part of the responsibility of a company after you have bought a game.  After spending $50-$60 USD on a game AND paying monthly for the subscription, I don't think I should also be paying for more stuff on top of that.  They say NOW that it won't be a buy to win shop, but as you have said, things can change and I am not sure if I want to get invested in the game only to see it change a few months down the road. 

I'll still be keeping my eyes on the game, but this is not what I want to see before the game even launches.

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

Face it. Every new MMO release will have some form of micro transaction. 

It's not like WoWs server transfers, character name change, etc. and later special mounts aren't the same sort of thing. People accepted it back then, they will accept it now and in the future. Couldn't really care less about vanity shops, just like i didn't really care for 70$ monocle in EVE. 

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476

will be the same model as inAoC i guess, and that works splendid.

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329

At the presentation we revealed that The Secret World will feature a traditional paid subscription model combined with micro-transactions through an in-game store. This information was provided as part of Funcom's financial forecast going forward, and no further details were given due to the fact that we are still working on finalizing the model.

Hahahahahaha!

Fail.

Well I am not "excited" about as they are.

They just lost a customer.

Bah and I was starting to get hyped, but for me it is unacceptable.

As for "facing it becasue more games will be like this" , well I won't face it. I just won't play games like that. Even if that means I won't find any mmorpg good enough to play.

If they want my money for a box AND a subscription and then plan to do implement item-store from the start , then hah lol NO WAY.

Hilarious.   Seems I might need to focus more on other hobbies than video games in future if whole industry will go that way.

Originally posted by lathaan

Not for everyone obviously.

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

If there is a box and sub price, an in-store shop is an instant 'no play' for me.

I'll happily pay for non in-game services such as server transfers etc. but for in-game items, excuse me am I not already paying the wages of the guy designing those items with my sub?

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

Originally posted by mrw0lf

If there is a box and sub price, an in-store shop is an instant 'no play' for me.

I'll happily pay for non in-game services such as server transfers etc. but for in-game items, excuse me am I not already paying the wages of the guy designing those items with my sub?

Which is why I recently stopped playing City of Heroes after playing since six months after it went live.  I seriously hope they change their minds on this one, though I doubt it.

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476

Originally posted by Sulaa

Hahahahahaha!

Fail.

Well I am not "excited" about as they are.

They just lost a customer.

Bah and I was starting to get hyped, but for me it is unacceptable.

As for "facing it becasue more games will be like this" , well I won't face it. I just won't play games like that. Even if that means I won't find any mmorpg good enough to play.

If they want my money for a box AND a subscription and then plan to do implement item-store from the start , then hah lol NO WAY.

Hilarious.   Seems I might need to focus more on other hobbies than video games in future if whole industry will go that way.

Originally posted by lathaan

Not for everyone obviously.

nothing works for everyone.

• WiezardWiezard Member Posts: 158

And let the complaining begin. When will players realise that in game shops are not going away and almost every MMO is going to implement it. Hell even Eve Online did it.  It is a part and parcel of MMOS and like it or not but majority like to spend money on these virtual items.

Am i going to spend money in items shop? nope. No one is forcing me so i will continue to ignore it and enjoy the actual game. People who are against it should just stick to indie titles or quit MMORPGS all together because this business model is here to stay.

Originally posted by Wiezard

And let the complaining begin. When will players realise that in game shops are not going away and almost every MMO is going to implement it. Hell even Eve Online did it.  It is a part and parcel of MMOS and like it or not but majority like to spend money on these virtual items.

Am i going to spend money in items shop? nope. No one is forcing me so i will continue to ignore it and enjoy the actual game. People who are against it should just stick to indie titles or quit MMORPGS all together because this business model is here to stay.

Good for you. I prefer to moan and complain. Later on when /if  I won't be able to find interesting game for me with satysfying business model (pure P2P or B2P like GW ) then I will stop playing mmorpgs.

Until then I will brag, moan , complain and go against this trend. Why? Becasue I can and I want.

• goouiegoouie Member Posts: 44

I really dont understand why you guys are whining and "well I'm not playing it now". They are putting it in for those who would like to use it, if you dont want the items in the shop them dont buy them and just play the game. Frankly I am kinda happy becuase if you trolls cant see the value of more options and choices a company can bring you and its your choice if you want to use it or not, then I dont want you playing the same game I am going to enjoy.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Yep. This kind of quadraple dip (sub+CS+box+expac) rev model needs to die.

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

This seems to be the current trend they have seen the success of AOC unchained and the other Mo's out there so it seems perfectly reasonable not to go the same way,as long as the items to buy do not interfere with the progression of  a toon,as in cosmetic based.

Then the Hybrid model is going to be used and become more prevelant when any P2P is launched no matter what moral ground u take econimics rule over morality in these times.

p>
  • MalevilMalevil Member Posts: 468

Originally posted by goouie

I really dont understand why you guys are whining and "well I'm not playing it now". They are putting it in for those who would like to use it, if you dont want the items in the shop them dont buy them and just play the game. Frankly I am kinda happy becuase if you trolls cant see the value of more options and choices a company can bring you and its your choice if you want to use it or not, then I dont want you playing the same game I am going to enjoy.

No i dont see additional value, what i see is rip-off. What  do I pay sub for ?

Originally posted by goouie

More options? Rather they taking out things out of game (in pure P2P titles all cosmetic items you craft , find or get as a reward in game) and put it into item store.

Worry not though , you don't want people that disagree with you on this matter to play a game with you and you won't find that people playing with you. So open your bottle of champagne , ready your CC to pay for items from item store and start celebrating.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

I dont really like this 3 x payment model.

There's box price, monthly price, and item shop. Leave one out please, people having to pay at every turn should mean that you have something truly expectionally amazing piece of universal super duper thrilling modern art, that some people dares to call a "game" - but even if this game has unique setting for a mmorpg, pretty graphics and overall very good vibe about it, I doubt it will be something that makes me wet my pants, and is worth box price, monthly fee and the money I'll have to put into the ingame store to look awesome.

I'd like to see something like: Download is free + 1 month, after that it's monthly fee + item shop if you has to have those latex tights that cannot be obtained in-game. OR have smaller retail price, and smaller monthly fee rather than the "15€ per month as it is written in the mmorpg rules stone".

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Launching as B2P might be risky, but not as risky as launching with a subscription fee AND an item shop.  Even if it goes well at first, its going to mess up their already tarnished reputation, which can be pretty costly in the long run, and in terms of generating launch hype.  

If they're thinking ahead, for when the game might transition to a F2P model like AOC unchained, they should keep the item shop hidden until then.

Or, just take the plunge and go straight for B2P with Gw2.  That will boost their rep, box sales, and if the item shop is worth anything at all, all that combined could even prove to be more profitable than a subscription fee.

One or the other, but thinking they're going to win by grabbing for as much money as possible just isn't going to work out that way in the end.  Stupid move, I'd bet.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• SerpentarSerpentar Member Posts: 246

They already have this model in AO and have for years now. IF they play it out the same way you basically get points per month that you are subscribed and can use those to spend on the ingame item shop. Now you can buy the points as well but you don't have too.
    AO has unique ground and air mounts that you can buy along with various costumes as well. They also added to it last year with more traditional style cash shop items, with xp boosting items and a neck item that boosts stats thats also available in game upon completing a X number of missions.

So..can go either way. Basically something to keep an eye on and see what is implemented and how it is played out.

• Bandar83Bandar83 Member UncommonPosts: 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozeagle View Post

Wow, amazing how much importance people place on being able to get every hat in the game for free.

I hear this all the time. I just want to point out people are not wanting everything for FREE. They are PAYING a SUBSCRIPTION FEE. They are simply wanting what should be and has always been included with subs.

So, what exactly does your sub pay for then? You can't say that all for overhead, development costs, and bandwidth. It has been proven that companies can pay for all of that and still make a good profit on much less that $15/month.

You pay for the box, then you pay monthly. In the end you are left with stuff you have no access to unless you fork out extra. This doesn't sound like a fair investment.

A concern you should be focusing on is that this will lead to a lack of quality cosmetic items in the game to make the item shop look more appealing. It is inevitable with this model.

Funcom: "we're giving you this crappy pair of pants for your sub, if you want the spiffy looking pants pay us an extra $10"

Sheep: "OMG, I want those spiffy pants. GIMME now! Here's $10!"

Sane Customer: "Wait. I'm already paying you $15 per month. You're giving me this crap and spending my sub money to make stuff I have to pay extra for? WTF? No thanks."

Let's be realistic and hop off the hype wagon. People are defending a company who is trying to give you less product for more money and saying it's ok because they are a business. When did consumers stop expecting more for their money not less.

I might not even care if there was a cash shop if EVERY item in it was attainable in game. If the true purpose of the cash shop is convenience, why make items only available in the cash shop???

In the end. I'm not here to argue, just to make some valid points. I was and still am excited about this game. I just do not agree with the business model and I will not support any company that supports this.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

It won't stop me from buying the game but it will make me wait until after launch to see the feedback from the players about what is in the item store.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

Yeah. DDO is still the only one I know to get that balance right.

There is a P2P sub where you get point to buy store stuff, or you can go the F2P (or P4C as I like to call thier model: Pay for content) way. Both works fine. Its a matter of taste.

Any P2P model that does not include point to buy store only shizzel is no go for me. Yeah, I am looking at you CCP...

• WiezardWiezard Member Posts: 158

Originally posted by Sulaa

Originally posted by Wiezard

Good for you. I prefer to moan and complain. Later on when /if  I won't be able to find interesting game for me with satysfying business model (pure P2P or B2P like GW ) then I will stop playing mmorpgs.

Until then I will brag, moan , complain and go against this trend. Why? Becasue I can and I want.

Let me know how that works out for you. It is like spitting at the moon.