Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Death of an MMO.....come in here and vent with me.....

gw1228gw1228 Member UncommonPosts: 127

Oh Square Enix....how the mighty have fallen...

First FF13   Metacritic=83 (generous by my standards)

Game Rankings=85

FFXIV          Metacritic=49% YIKES!!

Game Rankings=43%   OUCH!!

BEAUTIFUL BUT BORING

For those of you wanting to play this game don't.  Unless

you want to spend a perfectly good 20.00 bill on this monstrosity.

If you still want some proof that this game sucks just go to YOu

tube and watch some reviews and some gameplay videos it's

pretty painful.

Many European and American players of FFXIV have complained

that FFXIV was built specifically for an asian audience and I can 

honestly tell you when the game first came out and I played it I 

felt the same way.  I've lived in Asia and let me tell you they are 

comfortable with some aspects of FFXIV the way they are but even

they could only stand so much.

I don't want to make a wall of text so I'm going to bullet the next things.

Here is how the game was released.

Hundreds of bugs

no chocobos

no airships

no dungeons (just small caves with two bats inside)<<

no HIGH LEVEL content....HIGH LEVEL

a ridiculous gear repair system

a broken economy with no Auction House.....I can't even go into the Market System it is atrocioius

Reuse of textures in all the main areas, no uniqueness, very bland, no exploring quality to the game

no tutorials, no explanations of what too do, the UI was very unfriendly and still is....too many sub menus it's painful

no uniqueness to character skills, armor, weapons.....nothing

no real lincentive to go out and adventure

now that their are some group challenges in the updates certain classes are getting snubbed in groups, welcome to the future

man I could go on and on....

Now you might say ...."well they plan to fix somem of these things"

Yes you are correct sir, we have now become beta testers for Square

Enix that's why it's still F2P  could you imagine if they started charging

today?  No one would be left to test the game, they aren't stupid.

And who cares about "well eventually the game will get better"   let's

see two other games that got out of the gate "broken" like FFXIV and

let's see where they are today.

Warhammer Online and Vanguard Saga of Heroes

Need I say more?   These two games had great potential but squandered it

by getting released broken and unfinished just like XIV....by the time

these games got the ball rolling there were other games already out that were

better and newer.

Over the horizon we go these game to look forward too...

Guild Wars 2

SWKTOR

SKYRIM  Yes I know it isn't an MMO who cares it's much better than FFXIV

TERA

SECRET WORLD

and who knows how many others by the time FFXIV gets their act together

DO your self a favor and stay away from FFXIV atleast for now, don't

say you weren't warned.

Comments

• BademBadem Member Posts: 830

/golfclap

bravo bravo........

FFX14 has changed a fair bit, Changes are being made, Chocobos are due in next update, why dont you try actually... I dont know... going to the FFX14 website and reading the stuff they have done then making a decision based on that rather than that out of date 'review'

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/index.html

here that should help you...

• ArcheminosArcheminos Member Posts: 283

Originally posted by Obidom

/golfclap

bravo bravo........

FFX14 has changed a fair bit, Changes are being made, Chocobos are due in next update, why dont you try actually... I dont know... going to the FFX14 website and reading the stuff they have done then making a decision based on that rather than that out of date 'review'

Or you can look at the changes that have been made and realize they did very very little to help the game. Changes don't mean improvements.

• gw1228gw1228 Member UncommonPosts: 127

No thanks, like many other former FFXIV players (that is why the population is down...is it not)

I've moved on to better games.  You see my friend that's what kills MMO's.  We've become a

gaming generation of "first impressions".   You only get one chance and Square Enix squandered

it.     You really think that chocobos is going to bring back the hundreds, thousands of players that

have left FFXIV.   If it only it were so.....have fun on that chocobo running into the same areas from

zone to zone...it's very exhilarating.

• BademBadem Member Posts: 830

Still not paying to play it so I cannot complain about that, free to play until they fix it.

Then i will decide on if its worth it or not

• MoodsorMoodsor Member UncommonPosts: 712

I have to agree here, they have done very little to actually fix the many issues this game have, bringing in new features does not fix the game.

Its flawed from the ground up, and honestly if SE had the guts, they would shut it down, and start over.

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494

Originally posted by gw1228

No thanks, like many other former FFXIV players (that is why the population is down...is it not)

I've moved on to better games.  You see my friend that's what kills MMO's.  We've become a

gaming generation of "first impressions".   You only get one chance and Square Enix squandered

it.     You really think that chocobos is going to bring back the hundreds, thousands of players that

have left FFXIV.   If it only it were so.....have fun on that chocobo running into the same areas from

Nope it's not, population is actually the highest it has been since the first couple of months.  Nothing "killed it", because it is far from dead.  Even if it were not getting a major relaunch to a giant new platform, and more fixes on the horizon it is still doing better than many other P2P MMO's that are still "alive".

• alyosha17alyosha17 Member Posts: 156

Originally posted by Archeminos

/golfclap

Or you can look at the changes that have been made and realize they did very very little to help the game. Changes don't mean improvements.

This is true.

Yoshi has added content.  Additions are additions.  Nobody can fault them for making additions.

But when they destroy just for the sake of destruction, without even considering repurcussions, then there is something drastically wrong with their mentality.

Furthermore, consider the new job system.  What they want to do is make it so that the free-form role-building system of the game becomes nothing more than a diversion, something to do when you're not actually playing the game.

With the original armory system, you were able to learn skills and spells in a variety of different classes/skillsets and then potentially combine them to make your owl role.

The classes themselves were never meant to provide steadfast roles.  The classes were more suggestions than imposed roles. 

Now that Yoshi is tying classes to jobs, it makes the class-building system obsolete.  Already we have seen COnjurer shoeboxed into the main healing role, and Gladiator pigeonholed into the main tanking role.

There will be no more sword-wielding Damage Dealers.  No more Conjurers who nuke with offensive spells.

It severely limits the way the game will be played.  No longer will people be able to learn a variety of different skills from different skillsets (classes) and combine them to make their individualised role (job).  Further to the point, when a class is forced into a specific job, this is then tantamount to saying a job is locked to one weapon.

Classes, as they stand, are defined by their weapon.  A gladiator is a sword-user.  Naturally, it is not by definition a tank.  But if Gladiator is forced into becoming a Paladin, then logic suggests all Paladins will be sword users.  When they finally implement a thief job, the thief will be locked to a single weapon.  It will not have the freedom to use multiple weapons like in most other games.

This is a huge oversight on SE's part.

You can say goodbye to the possibility of a Lance-using mage, etc.  You can say goodbye to freedom.

And this is not an isolated incident.  Oversights like this happen all the time, indicating that SE do not really understand the game they need to be fixing.  For all the work they do, they end up ruining the good features of the game instead of improving them, simply because they don't think things through and just run with it.

Originally posted by alyosha17

/golfclap

This is true.

Yoshi has added content.  Additions are additions.  Nobody can fault them for making additions.

But when they destroy just for the sake of destruction, without even considering repurcussions, then there is something drastically wrong with their mentality.

Furthermore, consider the new job system.  What they want to do is make it so that the free-form role-building system of the game becomes nothing more than a diversion, something to do when you're not actually playing the game.

With the original armory system, you were able to learn skills and spells in a variety of different classes/skillsets and then potentially combine them to make your owl role.

The classes themselves were never meant to provide steadfast roles.  The classes were more suggestions than imposed roles. 

Now that Yoshi is tying classes to jobs, it makes the class-building system obsolete.  Already we have seen COnjurer shoeboxed into the main healing role, and Gladiator pigeonholed into the main tanking role.

There will be no more sword-wielding Damage Dealers.  No more Conjurers who nuke with offensive spells.

It severely limits the way the game will be played.  No longer will people be able to learn a variety of different skills from different skillsets (classes) and combine them to make their individualised role (job).  Further to the point, when a class is forced into a specific job, this is then tantamount to saying a job is locked to one weapon.

Classes, as they stand, are defined by their weapon.  A gladiator is a sword-user.  Naturally, it is not by definition a tank.  But if Gladiator is forced into becoming a Paladin, then logic suggests all Paladins will be sword users.  When they finally implement a thief job, the thief will be locked to a single weapon.  It will not have the freedom to use multiple weapons like in most other games.

This is a huge oversight on SE's part.

You can say goodbye to the possibility of a Lance-using mage, etc.  You can say goodbye to freedom.

And this is not an isolated incident.  Oversights like this happen all the time, indicating that SE do not really understand the game they need to be fixing.  For all the work they do, they end up ruining the good features of the game instead of improving them, simply because they don't think things through and just run with it.

Lol, lance-using mages was never going to happen and was/is stupid.

Gladiators shoe horned into tanking?  They were always shoe horned into tanking because 80% of the gladiator abilities have to do with gaining enmity and reducing damage.

Conjurers shoe horned into healing?  Why because they have Curuga and Rebirth?  What about the fact that they are also the best DD choice?  The only thing that changed was that THM can no longer AOE heal, but THM are still fine healers since curaga is rarely needed/advisable anyways.  Both CON and THM do great damage, and THM can even still tank/solo like no other class so I'm sorry but mages were not "shoe horned" into anything.

If there is a sword weilding DD type in the future it will be from a class/job that gives abilities that encourage that, gladiator was never this.

The armory system isn't going away, but it's original implemenation was completely stupid and most people agree.  When people use abilities from other classes as their mainstay rather than as suplemental abilities what you have is a broken cross-class system.  FFXIV will always have a cross-class system, it is what makes it unique, but under Yoshi's proposed changes it will finally be less of a chaotic hodgepodge.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049

Originally posted by Murugan

Nope it's not, population is actually the highest it has been since the first couple of months.  Nothing "killed it", because it is far from dead.  Even if it were not getting a major relaunch to a giant new platform, and more fixes on the horizon it is still doing better than many other P2P MMO's that are still "alive".

The problem with that highlighted part is that it isn't a p2p mmo.  It is currently a buy to play mmo at a fairly low cost if you shop around.  It may be a p2p mmo some day, but I still don't see that working out well since it has been b2p for so long that people will eventually (if many don't already) expect it to remain b2p.  This is only for the pc players because if it is p2p on the ps3 as well, then they won't have been playing it without a monthy fee for a year the way pc players have been.  I just can't see the pc reaction to switching from b2p to p2p going well.  And, yes, I do know that they have been saying all along that it was going to have a monthly sub when it was "good enough" to justify it, but how long can they go without charging a sub before people are extremely turned off at being told they have to pay monthly for something they have been getting for free?

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Everybody has their own taste in games.

For me FFXIV was the most horrid experiance with an mmo I've ever had. I wasted $60.00 on that piece of trash and I will never buy anything from SE again mmo or not.

If they had to refund all their legitematley dissatisfied customer's they would and should be bankrupt. I would wager that 999/1000 people would want their money back.

in my book that's theft.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

Originally posted by niceguy3978

The problem with that highlighted part is that it isn't a p2p mmo.  It is currently a buy to play mmo at a fairly low cost if you shop around.  It may be a p2p mmo some day, but I still don't see that working out well since it has been b2p for so long that people will eventually (if many don't already) expect it to remain b2p.  This is only for the pc players because if it is p2p on the ps3 as well, then they won't have been playing it without a monthy fee for a year the way pc players have been.  I just can't see the pc reaction to switching from b2p to p2p going well.  And, yes, I do know that they have been saying all along that it was going to have a monthly sub when it was "good enough" to justify it, but how long can they go without charging a sub before people are extremely turned off at being told they have to pay monthly for something they have been getting for free?

Because they are getting it for free only because the game is undergoing massive changes to its state at launch.  Whether people will pay a fee or not will depend upon a judgement they will have to make as to whether the changes made to the game warrant a sub fee. 

No one should be expecting the game to remain "b2p" they never said this, and so you'd have to be a moron to expect that at this point.  It is impossible to tell how many people currently playing would be paying sub fees now if it was required, and especially impossible to tell how many will remain and pay fees after they are required in the future (after the changes).

I personally think that Square Enix is not concerned about retention of players during this revamping process (in fact they have said this), they are hard at work getting the game into shape for the PS3 release and resumption of subscription fees at which point they will re-market the game. 

The whole "MMO players are fickle and only go off their first impression" that this thread is based on is complete bunk, baseless crap, idiotic nonsense.  This has never been the case with any game, ever.  The only thing that has ever hurt a game's popularity or ability to rebound is the game's development itself, everyone realizes that MMO's are constantly evolving.  And the vast majority of people do not pay as close of attention or give a crap about MMO "reputations" as those who visit this board.  Vanguard was killed (in the sense that it did not recieve enough major updates) by SOE, the p2p>freemium games were killed by choices by their developers, and SWG/Matrix Online/Whatever that were actually canceled were done so by the companies themselves.

If you actually want to debate the veracity of your argument that "games get one chance" please show me an example of one MMO that actually underwent massive changes and then failed to get people back/new players despite those changes being well recieved?  Because the way I see it people play an MMO 50% for the current state, and 50% for its prospective future.  People quit due to changes, people quit do to a lack of changes/updates, people quit because they don't like a game, people dont quit or not play a game truly because of how it was recieved at launch.  Not everyone has such a useless "video game consultant" type approach to playing games for entertainment.

• Ramones274Ramones274 Member Posts: 366

It's currently the only MMO i'm playing. Tried to get into Darkfall, if it had a larger population I would have.

but as for FFXIV's population? It's fantastic. As previously stated, this is most likely due to the current b2p status.

Anyways, most fun i've had in a bit. Cheers FFXIV.

There are two kinds of people in this world. People who pick their nose.. and liars.

• Ramones274Ramones274 Member Posts: 366

Originally posted by laserit

Everybody has their own taste in games.

For me FFXIV was the most horrid experiance with an mmo I've ever had. I wasted $60.00 on that piece of trash and I will never buy anything from SE again mmo or not.

If they had to refund all their legitematley dissatisfied customer's they would and should be bankrupt. I would wager that 999/1000 people would want their money back.

in my book that's theft.

SE is one of the most succesful gave developers on the planet. Funny you think it would have bankrupted them.

There are two kinds of people in this world. People who pick their nose.. and liars.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

well at least you dont have to pay to play ff14, i cant say the same for some other failed mmo *cough* vanguard*cough*

Originally posted by nerovipus32

well at least you dont have to pay to play ff14, i cant say the same for some other failed mmo *cough* vanguard*cough*

I'm sorry Vanguard is not a failed MMO, it was the victim of rape, torture, and probably soon murder at the hands of SOE big wigs.  Don't blame the victim, blame the sick bastards who did this to it (and Brad McQuaid's complete ineptness at running a business).

Originally posted by nerovipus32

I'm sorry Vanguard is not a failed MMO, it was the victim of rape, torture, and probably soon murder at the hands of SOE big wigs.  Don't blame the victim, blame the sick bastards who did this to it (and Brad McQuaid's complete ineptness at running a business).

The same thing is happening to FFXIV, Murugan.

Maybe with retrospect you will see that Yoshi is as NGE is to SWG and SoE is to Vanguard.

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

All I can say about FFXIV is: Biggest Disspointment ever!

This coming from someone who's favorite MMO of all time was FFXI.

• psyfighterpsyfighter Member Posts: 50

well i like ff14  it's not the best game but it's a good game till kator or gw2 leaning more on kator

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

I never played FFXI and not much of any other FF but was sucked in by the graphics.

The UI was a major turn off.  I know from experience I could get used to it, but it just bothered me that no thought was given to mouse/keyboard players.  So right off the bat I felt like I was being dismissed.

The lack of direction. Ok, this was a big deal for a lot of people, but I liked it. I liked being plopped into a world and being told: Go at it. However having nothing meaningful to 'go at' kind of killed the fun in that. And while I like learning as I go along there needs to be dynamics in the game to teach. I still don't know what a 'guild leve' is. Or how all the different kinds of leve's interacted with what parts of my character. What a needlessly convoluted system.

The class system? Ok, I like the idea of an open class system, but it was TOO open. If every char can level every class (and is kind of expected to) whats the point of having classes at all?

The final straw for me though was the basic gameplay dynamic.  I found myself standing around a big floating rock in the middle of nowhere with a bunch of other people doing the same repeatable quests on some kind of timer. Thats when I knew I was done. I did that for a couple of days then uninstalled.  Becuase I have the box, I reinstall every once in a while but even for free I find myself logging out after a few min of play.

• sephiroth112sephiroth112 Member UncommonPosts: 55

the outher problem are ffxi fan players, they want old and obsolet stuff like ffxi in 2001

grind party in modern MMO is bad idea, come on kill same 2000 000 mobs are not challenge this is lack of content

crafting depend of luck, not matter if you have skill, the luck could ruin you

2 easy dungeon

party setup again???? was the principal error in ffxi, for example if you are lancer you cant got pt for dungeon because you are not OP class

low poblation

copy paste in excess on maps

chocobos coming, ok, but only in rent

the community are bad, japanese are racist, if you dont speak japanese, forget to made pt with them

• QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683

/golfclap

bravo bravo........

I for one disagree. They have improved it quite a bit. Maybe not to everyones liking, or as much as is needed, but they have certainly improved the game.

And if nothing else, you absolutely have to give SE props for trying to fix it and NOT charging us while they do. Every other game company out there that I can think of would have just kept the sub fees rolling while they slowly worked on it.

And lastly, to the OP, thats alot of text just to bash a game thats NOT charging you any money to play it. Kinda strange I think, but then, most everything I do and type is strange...

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

Originally posted by sephiroth112

the outher problem are ffxi fan players, they want old and obsolet stuff like ffxi in 2001

grind party in modern MMO is bad idea, come on kill same 2000 000 mobs are not challenge this is lack of content

crafting depend of luck, not matter if you have skill, the luck could ruin you

2 easy dungeon

party setup again???? was the principal error in ffxi, for example if you are lancer you cant got pt for dungeon because you are not OP class

low poblation

copy paste in excess on maps

chocobos coming, ok, but only in rent

the community are bad, japanese are racist, if you dont speak japanese, forget to made pt with them

They should improve the crafting formulae because luck plays too much role in crafting.  But they shouldn't oversimplify crafting as a whole.  Lots of people enjoy the crafting aspect because it has so much depth.  I don't think many people would approve of the crafting system if it was just like any other forgetable MMO.  FFXIV needs a complex crafting system because that is one of the features which make it stand out.

Anyways, the game really needs content.  Which is relevant because the biggest issue with crafting to date is the grind to endgame.  What does it matter if you make the recipes simpler if the crafting progression system is still as boring as ever?  All they do by oversimplifying recipes is make the crafting system disinteresting.  A crafting system that is both uninteresting and boring is not a winning combination.

SE is also removing endgame crafting anyway.  So... what's the point of even bothering to craft anyways?  Where is the fun if it is grind to endgame and then the endgame HQ crafting is no challenge?

Crafting needs depth but less grind.  Crafting needs streamlining, but not oversimplifying.  SE have a weird way of seeing a problem and then making the problem worse.

And by the way, just so you know, we are actually getting rentable chocobos AND also ones you can own and call at anytime.

• XenoskaXenoska Member UncommonPosts: 21

Go complain some more. Gees, there are plenty of asian specific games that americans and europeans play.

Lineage II is a complete grindfest. Yet there are players all over the world.

Give XIV some time. Not everything is gold in the beginning.

Originally posted by Quicksand

/golfclap

bravo bravo........

I for one disagree. They have improved it quite a bit. Maybe not to everyones liking, or as much as is needed, but they have certainly improved the game.

And if nothing else, you absolutely have to give SE props for trying to fix it and NOT charging us while they do. Every other game company out there that I can think of would have just kept the sub fees rolling while they slowly worked on it.

And lastly, to the OP, thats alot of text just to bash a game thats NOT charging you any money to play it. Kinda strange I think, but then, most everything I do and type is strange...

But really, a year after release and we are supposed to applaud SE for making minor adjustments to the game and giving us mounts?  That is not worthy of praise.  I am thankful but I am not awed.  Considering also that they are making so many game-breaking changes to the foundation of FFXIV that drew people to the game in the first place, then you can understand people's frustration.

So what if they aren't charging us for the game?  So what if they keep the servers up?  If they keep destroying the game instead of improving it, it's all the same to me anyway because I won't be playing.

inb4 "good riddance"

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Originally posted by niceguy3978

Because they are getting it for free only because the game is undergoing massive changes to its state at launch.  Whether people will pay a fee or not will depend upon a judgement they will have to make as to whether the changes made to the game warrant a sub fee. 

No one should be expecting the game to remain "b2p" they never said this, and so you'd have to be a moron to expect that at this point.  It is impossible to tell how many people currently playing would be paying sub fees now if it was required, and especially impossible to tell how many will remain and pay fees after they are required in the future (after the changes).

I personally think that Square Enix is not concerned about retention of players during this revamping process (in fact they have said this), they are hard at work getting the game into shape for the PS3 release and resumption of subscription fees at which point they will re-market the game. 

The whole "MMO players are fickle and only go off their first impression" that this thread is based on is complete bunk, baseless crap, idiotic nonsense.  This has never been the case with any game, ever.  The only thing that has ever hurt a game's popularity or ability to rebound is the game's development itself, everyone realizes that MMO's are constantly evolving.  And the vast majority of people do not pay as close of attention or give a crap about MMO "reputations" as those who visit this board.  Vanguard was killed (in the sense that it did not recieve enough major updates) by SOE, the p2p>freemium games were killed by choices by their developers, and SWG/Matrix Online/Whatever that were actually canceled were done so by the companies themselves.

If you actually want to debate the veracity of your argument that "games get one chance" please show me an example of one MMO that actually underwent massive changes and then failed to get people back/new players despite those changes being well recieved?  Because the way I see it people play an MMO 50% for the current state, and 50% for its prospective future.  People quit due to changes, people quit do to a lack of changes/updates, people quit because they don't like a game, people dont quit or not play a game truly because of how it was recieved at launch.  Not everyone has such a useless "video game consultant" type approach to playing games for entertainment.

Oh please! Listen to yourself!

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes has vastly improved over the years and is now actually a very good game.

Why didn't people flock back enmasse?  Simply... because people don't!

They get burned and move on to something else! It's not 2003 anymore! with just a handfulf of games to choose from!

The only reason FFXIV still has somewhat of a server population is because it's FREE!

You can now buy the game for 5 bucks in the dump bin at gamestores.

If the game was still 30 bucks or more... there wouldn't be many left playing, as there wouldn't be any influx of new players.

If they reinstate the subscription fees... there wouldn't be many left playing.

Square Enix is too slow with the improvements. And the whole change of atmosphere on the official forums is clear sign people's patience is starting to run out.

The whole introduction of chocobos and airships is a little too late. People have already ran all over the zones and unlocked the teleports.

Add to the fact that most zones are utterly boring, bland and repetitive in design! Why would I want to ride around on a chocobo? Or take an airship if I can just insta port to any of the three cities.

And when it comes to population. There was only a peak just after 1.18. But a couple days later most people were bored again and population reverted back to pre-1.18 levels.  So please. I still log in regularly.