Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is the UI and combat now?

xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

I played in closed and open beta. Did not pick up the retail version because the UI was so clunky and sluggish. Also because the combat felt so clunky and sluggish. I could deal with the UI controlls so long as they are responsive now. Are they or is there still a few second lag time when pulling up menues ect. ALso with the combat is it more fluid now? Oh and how are the game controlls in general? Have they changed that? The movement + camera controlls (plus the slow speed of the camera) drove me nuts. These few things are/where the ONLY thing keeping me from buying the game.

Comments

• alyosha17alyosha17 Member Posts: 156

The new development team, in their infinite wisdom, decided to implement autoattack.

I guess they thought that if you werent pressing as many buttons, you wouldn't notice how slow and unresponsive the server is.

But unfortunately for them, you end up spamming your actions even more just to make sure the server is registering your attacks.

It's still slow as hell.

They mentioned vaguely of fixing the servers, but it probably won't happen for another six months.  Probably longer than that, actually. Knowing Square Enix!

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

ive heard from fanboi friends of mine that XI was awfiul for the first year it was out. lets hope that they can turn this one around as well.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

Movement speed of the camera is still very slow.

Tab targetting is quite difficult too.

Targetting with a mouse is made cumbersome because you cannot click through player's names.  Turning player names off so you can click through them without difficulty is not really a feasible option because you need to be able to see the names.

The movement speed of the camera, and the targetting issues are both compounded by the fact that spell effects have been enlarged to insane proportions.  Half the time you can't even see what's happening because everything is concealed behind a mist of flashy and flakey, ugly spell effects.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

I dont understand why the fixed it, the combat was broken "per se", if you play with a gamepad it was fun and fast paced once you got used to it, havent tried the new version yet.

Edit: The combat WASN'T broken*

• nekrothingnekrothing Member Posts: 302

Originally posted by alakram

I dont understand why the fixed it, the combat was broken "per se", if you play with a gamepad it was fun and fast paced once you got used to it, havent tried the new version yet.

Edit: The combat WASN'T broken*

I very much beg to differ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g-cHv11hCY&feature=feedu

Now tell me, what WASN'T broken in that video? The stamina gauge was messed up, the skills weren't working, it was the very definition of broken. I'm glad they changed it.

It's still not fixed though.

Combat is still really unresponsive.  With huge delays between pessing an action and the action activating. 

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314

Originally posted by alyosha17

It's still not fixed though.

Combat is still really unresponsive.  With huge delays between pessing an action and the action activating. 

Unfortunately that has to do with the client-server interaction, not the actual combat mechanic. They're going to have to rewrite a lot of code to fix the delays, and that kind of thing takes many months.