Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anitvirus/security choice?

KWIGG77KWIGG77 Member Posts: 7

What type of antivirus or security software do you use? I have heard a lot of mixed reviews from gamers regarding some of the more popular software choices.

Comments

• CatamountCatamount Member Posts: 773

I don't keep any software firewall running, and I have no active dedicated spyware running either (I just do a scan here and there).

The only thing that's continuously running in Avira AV, and I like it, because it has good detection rates, it's free, and it leaves me alone. I hate having an anti-virus that resource intensive even when just running the background, or that constantly pipes up over nothing.

• MNZebaMNZeba Member Posts: 254

I have had Norton internet security for awhile now. (It's free for comcast users) And I have to say I'm impressed on how Norton has changed. It's a lot better then it used to be. I have no compaints.

• godzilr1godzilr1 Member UncommonPosts: 550

I run AVG free and Spybot search and destroy.  witha  mal-ware scan once in a bit

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Windows 7 comes with Security Essentials and for now I am using that. Supposedly it's pretty ok' ish.

I used to have Avira, Zonealarm as well as Addaware but since I installed win 7 it seems I never need them anymore, (virtually no detections compared to what I was used to in xp). Also it's way less of a hassle to have one program take care of everything.

Open for suggestions on improving security too though.

• MsGamerladyMsGamerlady Member UncommonPosts: 192

I'm using the free version of Avast.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

personally i'd recommend AVG antivirus.. the free version at least, although i also use malwarebytes anti malware too... throw in zonealarm free firewall.. and you get fairly comprehensive protection for your system.. for free image

the free versions are good, but obviously, the paid for versions are better, and add quite a bit of extra funcitonality image

if you also run the trend housecall online virus checker once a month, or if you think your system has become compromised (theres no such thing as a 100 percent guaranteed antivirus program after all) then you should be pretty much covered.. and yes.. the housecall online virus check.. is a free service .. nice people image

have to say, personally my only real experiences with norton, is to remove it...  its highly intrusive, and often gives less protection than programs you can get for free.. image although.. obviously.. if the alternative is Norton or Windows homegrown firewall etc..  obviously Norton is better...   than nothingimage

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

Microsoft Security Essentials is actually very good, it got an unfair slating at first I think.

If you absolutely need something pro-active on your PC i would recommend that as it has a brilliant balance between protecting you and not hassling you all the time with having to change the firewall rules constantly.

• TGSOLTGSOL Member Posts: 274

Going by the results of various testing sites/organizations such as Virus Bulletin, your best bet is avast! Anti Virus if you want free. AVG has always done the worst in the free category for long as I can remember and the paid option is barely any better. Despite it's popularity, I really can't recomend it.

If you want to pay for better protection, Norton is actually a great option, despite it's shaky past. Eset NOD32 and BitDefender are also good choices.

As far as malware, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is one of the best. Spybot and SuperAntispyware are also excellent.

As far as software firewalls, Comodo used to be the best, but Online Armor has been doing better in tests lately, and I've found it to be pretty easy to use.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

I use Microsoft Security Essentials.  Its benchmarked incredibly well and uses almost no resources.  I used to use NOD32, but Security Essentials offers better protection and uses less resources.  NOD32 used to have that title of better protection and less resources over other security software.

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

AVG free is too resource intensive in my opinion. Is Avast free less resource intensive?

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

Anti-Malware and Online Armor Plus from Emsisoft, love it award  winning software. Only downside the patcher is working somewhat slow compared to Kaspersky.

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

• BergirBergir Member Posts: 299

Microsoft Security Essentials

• WaldoCornWaldoCorn Member UncommonPosts: 235

Yeah honestly Ive used, free AVG, free Avast, and found Microsoft Security Essentials to do me just as well. On the paid for side, had Norton and McAfee, back in the day, and neither worked as well as the above mentioned (possible bloatware probs).

I have Used the paid for version of Bit Defender and found it to be pretty good, however, did a free sample of Malware Bytes (full), and was very impressed with it.

Anymore I dont expect total security from any Anti-Virus. My theory is that I am the only true firewall, I have, my habits will protect my PC, or not. But that doesnt mean I dont need something I can depend on the catch my screw ups.

SO I use Microsoft Security essentials, and scan additionally with Malware Bytes free edition (which is all it does, as well as standard, quarantine/remove options) I have caught a couple small things with MB, that MSE, didnt pick up until MB found them in scans. (same as AVG and Avast) MSE seems to run more quietly. Maybe not on paper, but doing crude tests with FRAPS, in demanding games indicated this.

Also I use a small 40gig HD which I have my OS and updates, cloned to, and which stays off system and off line. I periodically use this and reinstall everything to my main (off line) after wiping the main, then gutman wipe with CCleaner, then a re-foramt of the drive from the small HD. I know going back to square one, but minus the time of installing updates , settings and my basic programs. I save new pics/docs, to a stick and scan them on a junk pc, them commit them to an external, which is my true records data base, I guess.

Tried many others but were all crap, basically. They either did the same job as the other free ones mentioned with much more system lag, or were absolute trash.

If I were going to buy an Antivirus, it would be Malware Bytes, hands down. Once you buy it, it's yours. No annual fee's. And it's damned good, and appears to be as quiet as MSE.

Another note on MSE, I have had it catch things that, Avast and AVG did not, but not to take away from these last two, as they were head and shoulders above any free anti virus I tried before.

See the world and all within it.
    Live a lifetime in every minute.

• WaldoCornWaldoCorn Member UncommonPosts: 235

Originally posted by Jimmac

AVG free is too resource intensive in my opinion. Is Avast free less resource intensive?

It seems to be, I ran it in Gamming mode.

See the world and all within it.
    Live a lifetime in every minute.

• GwingGwing Member Posts: 85

COMODO internet security free edition...used by MANY major buisnesses and won tons of awards has never let me down and its free... 

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

Webroot or NOD32 or carry on using AV,but it is a  resouce hog for a gaming PC. Use gamebooster full version ( keys can be found on you tube) and have it shut down your AVG anti virus before gaming if you're behind a hardware firewall. that should get it out the way for gaming then put it back on with a click over with gamebooster.

• skeith138skeith138 Member Posts: 176

i used COMODO firewall ( not the antivirus) simply shows all the traffic in and out of my pc and shows all background programs.

SUPER ANTISPYWARE is also a good one if u need to scan ur PC. and add malwarebyte and u pretty much save from anything.

• JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601

I used to use Microsoft Security Essentials, but in the last 6 months it really tanked in terms of protection. I switched to NOD32 and love it.

MSE used to be great, but recently I know a lot of people who got viruses with it. I decided to use a crappy machine to test MSE, Symantec, Avast, Kaspersky and NOD32.

Symantec and NOD32 were best, but Symantec used a lot of system resources. In the end NOD32 was best. Now I didn't test a ton of viruses, but I tested quite a few. Sadly, MSE let almost every virus through. Avast stopped some, as did Kaspersky, but Symantec End Point Security and ESET NOD32 were by far the best.

PS. it was significant enough that we dropped our current AV at work and moved to NOD32. I am a Sr. Systems Administrator at a marketing company, so protection is important to me. Less virsues = less work for me ;).

• CatamountCatamount Member Posts: 773

I'm surprised Avira has gotten so little love here. It's light on the system, easy to use, and has good detection rates.

Avast is also good, and unlike Avira, includes a boot-time scan option, but I've personally had several viruses failed to be removed by Avast on XP that Avira had no trouble with (on 7 I seem to have less trouble in general, and both have done fine).

AVG I don't like. It is too resource intensive, I've had it give enormous numbers of false positives, while missing many actual malware programs, and I've had more than one installation spontaneously corrupt itself and lose the ability to recieve updates.

• movros99movros99 Member UncommonPosts: 125

I will list the best Antivirus and the best place to buy it from.

http://www.cheapantivirus.com/Webroot_Antivirus_2011_3_PC_p/webroot-a2011-3p1y.htm

Webroot with Antivirus has some of the best antivirus definitions in the business and it's software has a very small memory footprint so it can run quite well on older systems.  Cheapantivirus.com also had the cheapest prices that I have found.  For $24 US you can protect 3PC's for a year.  A heck of a deal.

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

No one using Avast! here?

Free for private users, one of the few that offered 64-Bit Support when Vista was released and i have no problem with it since then.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

I'm going with Avast for a long time already, plus Outpost Professional as a firewall.

Never had any viruses however, but i also don't click on "Congrats! You have won the interwebs! click here to download it!!!"-buttons.

Noscript for Firefox is another nice addition.

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

I just use Win7's built-in stuff now lol, it seems to do an alright job of finding/removing junk.

Personally I haven't had much luck with any antiviruses over the years, more often than not i'd find myself needing to reformat the PC while using one. They aren't really even needed if you're a cautious browser and can spot what should or shouldn't be running in the background of your PC.

• drazzahdrazzah Member UncommonPosts: 437

I dont use any anti-virus because im not a noob :D

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Originally posted by just2duh

I just use Win7's built-in stuff now lol, it seems to do an alright job of finding/removing junk.

Personally I haven't had much luck with any antiviruses over the years, more often than not i'd find myself needing to reformat the PC while using one. They aren't really even needed if you're a cautious browser and can spot what should or shouldn't be running in the background of your PC.

Yes, that remembers me when Avast gave me troubles with 5000k ping in WoW + w7 only and not even stopping all services, but only uninstalling helped.

I agree that alot of users can get along without it very well, but then i've had PCs to reinstall that made me wonder how dump the average user is. Some seem to click on just everything that's blinking and can't even tell if it's a windows message or a popup in the browser.