Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Simpsons did it.

Comments

• FearGXFearGX Member Posts: 317

I will sum up SWTOR

- Linear, there are no side quests or multiple paths to max level

- Closed World

- Very Newbie/Casual Friendly, does not care for more Hardcore players

- Instanced Storyline questing, feels more like a RPG then a MMO

Now I already know your counter argument, Oh you can level a new character when you finish with one and its totally unique and diffierent, maybe not everyone wants to do that? Maybe people want to not only reach cap with friends or solo, but they want dungeons, they want raids, they want PvP options, they want stuff to do OTHER THAN leveling a different character again.

• BadSpock2BadSpock2 Member Posts: 96

Originally posted by Fearlessbro

I will sum up SWTOR

- Closed World

- Newbie/Casual Friendly

Now I already know your counter argument, Oh you can level a new character when you finish with one and its totally unique and diffierent, maybe not everyone wants to do that? Maybe people want to not only reach cap with friends or solo, but they want dungeons, they want raids, they want PvP options, they want stuff to do OTHER THAN leveling a different character again.

Do you actually know anything about this game?

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

I will sum up SWTOR

- Closed World

Linear

- To be determine. 17 worlds there are a lot of possiblities

Closed world

- It looked that way in the starter zone, but also to be determined

Newbie friendly

- This is a problem why?

Feel more like RPG then MMO

- I get that feeling too, but also to be determined

If and when they do an open Beta all of the above will be answered

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by BadSpock

I will sum up SWTOR

- Closed World

- Newbie/Casual Friendly

Hehe, aye. And there I was, thinking the average quality of a SWTOR-detractor post couldn't possibly become any lower V_V

Originally posted by DarkPony

I will sum up SWTOR

- Closed World

- Newbie/Casual Friendly

Hehe, aye. And there I was, thinking the average quality of a SWTOR-detractor post couldn't possibly become any lower V_V

I know right?

Just blatant ignorance or lying.

I'd actually be more OK with ignorance in this case.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Originally posted by Corehaven

My entire original post was regarding why people complain, and how sometimes they can be entirely right so perhaps its not best to laugh at them and act like a sarcastic prick.  I never said I stood in the middle.  So there's no hypocrisy to be had because nothing about it is hypocritical.  Im not sure you know what that word means. 

And yet you yourself went on to complain about SWTOR in the exact manner that you hate on GW2 forums. You even made a comparison with GW2 in terms of amount of negative press SWTOR gets and that somehow it should open our eyes that SWTOR might turn out bad because it gets flamed more in comprison to GW2.  So you see the original topic was lost on you since it was made to stop this 'SWTOR vs GW2' comparisons. 

Okay it looks like an updated version of Kotor.  Yea.  This thing still looks like it could run on an Xbox.  The original. 

And? so your definition of outdated is that it will be able to run on all kind of hardware?

Your link to a thread a year old with a dev making a statement but showing nothing?  Mmmkay. 

And how does that make information any less irrelevant? or you are telling me that within an year planets somehow got smaller in size? the info is still coming directly from Bioware and i have no reason to believe a biased GW2 fan like you over them. 

Repeat whatever you are saying?  I posted and you commented.  If I was copying what you were saying Id just be trying to be right about something that almost had nothing to do with what I originally posted. 

You are still doing it. You are trying to appear as if you are being reasonable and not one of 'my game is better than yours' childish crowd, but you still keep doing it with every post.

Here.  You win:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfzLyPqko8w

• FearGXFearGX Member Posts: 317

I will sum up SWTOR

- Closed World

- Newbie/Casual Friendly

You have given no valid points or reasoning as to what makes your game good or worth even considering to buy, instead you trot threw the SWTOR forums laughing off critics / hater posts. What makes SWTOR so good then in your opinion and makes it ahead of other competition or the current standard which would be WoW/Rift/Everquest? What are SWTOR defining features that make it such a big thing to be looking at? Is it just because it is Star Wars and/or Bioware?

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Actually take the time to look up footage/screen shots from KOTOR 1 on Xbox and recently released videos/screens from TOR and tell me again that it looks the same.

I'll wait...

http://www.firingsquad.com/media/gallery_index.asp/204

Figured Id post it.  Not really even trying to make a point.  This is Kotor 2 though. 

I will sum up SWTOR

- Closed World

- Newbie/Casual Friendly

You have given no valid points or reasoning as to what makes your game good or worth even considering to buy, instead you trot threw the SWTOR forums laughing off critics / hater posts. What makes SWTOR so good then in your opinion and makes it ahead of other competition or the current standard which would be WoW/Rift/Everquest? What are SWTOR defining features that make it such a big thing to be looking at? Is it just because it is Star Wars and/or Bioware?

No, no no.

You are simply wrong. There is no matter of opinon it's fact. The points you brought up are simply incorrect and you can find dozens of articles, videos, interviews, and testimonials from players who will show you that.

So, as I said, it's either complete ignorance or blatant lying.

http://www.firingsquad.com/media/gallery_index.asp/204

Figured Id post it.  Not really even trying to make a point.  This is Kotor 2 though.

Yikes!

Really is amazing how far things have come in the past decade. Those graphics are scary...

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

I will sum up SWTOR

- Closed World

I know you haven't played the game, so its tough for you to speak on these things,  but to put your "facts" to rest here

There are side quests,  you can level in multiple ways including doing PvP to max if you wanted.  Are they the quickest ways to level?  No.  But people should be doing what they want to do to reach max,  not what gets them to max the fastest.

Some worlds are more closed off than others,  some due to the way they were designed,  but for the most part,  there are very large worlds that  you can and should explore.  You will spend most of your time in open areas with other players.  This is not a "closed world"

Yes the game is "newbie friendly".  Easy to pick up and play.  If you have to read a 90 page manual before playing,  you aren't going to have a lot of customers.

The personal story will feel like a regular RPG with multiplayer aspects.  You will feel like this game is primarily single player until about 9 - 12 depending on how much time you want to spend on the starter planets.   Afterwards you will start some group integration.  Those looking for multiplayer will not have to look very hard, especially post 30.  Those looking to solo to max won't have issue there either.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Originally posted by FloggingJude

Just remember that the forum population of this site is a loud minority and 90% of the population here is about hating and/or being a fan of stuff, it in no mean reflects what happens outside the bubble most of the time :)

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I'm with OP, I'll play this game just because it's Star Wars.  Jedi are overrated, Darkside ftw!

Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

And yet you yourself went on to complain about SWTOR in the exact manner that you hate on GW2 forums. You even made a comparison with GW2 in terms of amount of negative press SWTOR gets and that somehow it should open our eyes that SWTOR might turn out bad because it gets flamed more in comprison to GW2.  So you see the original topic was lost on you since it was made to stop this 'SWTOR vs GW2' comparisons. 

And? so your definition of outdated is that it will be able to run on all kind of hardware?

And how does that make information any less irrelevant? or you are telling me that within an year planets somehow got smaller in size? the info is still coming directly from Bioware and i have no reason to believe a biased GW2 fan like you over them. 

You are still doing it. You are trying to appear as if you are being reasonable and not one of 'my game is better than yours' childish crowd, but you still keep doing it with every post.

Here.  You win:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfzLyPqko8w

Im just pointing out that no, Im not seeing GW2 hate and even went on to list a crap load of already released games that also did not give this kind of hatred.  Least not that Im seeing.  GW2 fell in there which somehow seemed to tick you off even though you're objective and in the middle.  I never said it was "better".  I just said Im not seeing as much hate there, especially on more official forums. 

Secondly, I already commented that you can make a wonderfully graphicly advanced game that can run on all machines.  Its called graphic sliders and menus.  Bioware knows how to do this.  They've done it before albeit not in mmorpg form. 

Finally Id like to point out I really wasnt trying to rag on Swtor.  Just saying that sometimes there's points to be had in peoples rants.   Just based on history.  YOU'VE successfully turned this into a debate about defending Swtor.  Which really wasnt my original point, but yes I did get pulled into your trap of doing so.  Which I will now stop doing because Ive already said Swtor could turn out to be an amazing game.  Keep in mind this was not my original point. 

You're taking a few examples and blowing them out of proportion.   As well as seeming to enjoy your mission of villification.  I could care less.  I already made my point posts ago.  At this point you're just getting rediculous. 

Here allow me to satisfy you: SWTOR is going to SUCK more than a ten ton mosquito.  GW2 RUUULES! 

There.....now you can say I told you so even though I wasnt being serious.  But just run with it.  Im sure you will anyways.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

I will sum up SWTOR

- Closed World

- Newbie/Casual Friendly

No, no no.

You are simply wrong. There is no matter of opinon it's fact. The points you brought up are simply incorrect and you can find dozens of articles, videos, interviews, and testimonials from players who will show you that.

So, as I said, it's either complete ignorance or blatant lying.

This pretty much.

And no, Fearlessbro. Seeing how you blatantly spew opinion and your own fabrications as fact I have a hunch that any attempt on convincing you of Swtor's redeeming aspects or a thorough dissection of your points would be totally in vain and a waste of my precious time too.

Have fun playing something else ^_^

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Im just pointing out that no, Im not seeing GW2 hate and even went on to list a crap load of already released games that also did not give this kind of hatred.  Least not that Im seeing.  GW2 fell in there which somehow seemed to tick you off even though you're objective and in the middle.  I never said it was "better".  I just said Im not seeing as much hate there, especially on more official forums. 

And what was the purpose of bringing GW2 in comparison? to give some kind of validity and confirmation to your opinion that GW2 is a better game (you don't have to say that directly by the way)? ignoring that SW purists and fanatics who would complain regardleess no matter how many changes or new things Bioware add to the game? i gues you were not here when WAR, AOC and STO was close to release if you think SWTOR is the only one to generate so much hate.

Secondly, I already commented that you can make a wonderfully graphicly advanced game that can run on all machines.  Its called graphic sliders and menus.  Bioware knows how to do this.  They've done it before albeit not in mmorpg form. 

Finally Id like to point out I really wasnt trying to rag on Swtor.  Just saying that sometimes there's points to be had in peoples rants.   Just based on history.  YOU'VE successfully turned this into a debate about defending Swtor.  Which really wasnt my original point, but yes I did get pulled into your trap of doing so.  Which I will now stop doing because Ive already said Swtor could turn out to be an amazing game.  Keep in mind this was not my original point. 

Nope that is exactly what you did when you made comments like oudated graphics, liner world design with small areas and choppy animations. if it was GW2 forums you would be ripping the guy apart.

You're taking a few examples and blowing them out of proportion.   As well as seeming to enjoy your mission of villification.  I could care less.  I already made my point posts ago.  At this point you're just getting rediculous. 

I am not enjoying anything but i also hate it when people act like hypocrites and yet don't forget to give other lessons in wisdom. 

Here allow me to satisfy you: SWTOR is going to SUCK more than a ten ton mosquito.  GW2 RUUULES! 

There.....now you can say I told you so even though I wasnt being serious.  But just run with it.  Im sure you will anyways.

And what was the purpose of bringing GW2 in comparison? to give some kind of validity and confirmation to your opinion that GW2 is a better game (you don't have to say that directly by the way)? ignoring that SW purists and fanatics who would complain regardleess no matter how many changes or new things Bioware add to the game? i gues you were not here when WAR, AOC and STO was close to release if you think SWTOR is the only one to generate so much hate.

Once again because GW2 is SO FAR not getting the hate that Swtor is.  And yes I specifically mentioned STO.  And WAR AOC and STO DID have major problems at release and after.  Thats EXACTLY my point.  THANK YOU for entirely missing it. 

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164

Originally posted by Chimps

There's always going to be haters.

What you do is ignore them and laugh at them when the game becomes successfull.

SWTOR will be successfull no matter how much people hate on it. I myself am looking forward to it, i have nothing but love for the entire game.

But you havent PLAYED it!  Oh I dont have to stick my hand in hot lava to know its hot.  People (not person but a mass of people) who are being critical of a game tend to be RIGHT.  I have paid attention and there are always haters, but its the amount of them that bears paying attention too.  You never see absolute rifts like this on a truely superb game.  And no, dont act like mmorpgs are some kind of different anomoly compaired to other games because they're not. 

SWTOR is a great game, very fun, very unique, quite familiar yet infititely different.

Anyone looking for anything even remotely "sandbox" need not apply.

You just can't put into words or convey via video how it feels to play a MMO that is still a MMO yet feels like an epic single player RPG.

For some, they don't want that at all, they want just the opposite of a epic single player feeling also MMO RPG game.

Those are the "haters" and people who are critical. That is their right.

What this game sets out to do, the game it's trying to be, it does very, very, extremely well.

Haters are gonna hate is true. Some folks would never be happy with any game TBH and just enjoy hating any game that isn't the one they are playing. For me if you can find a game you really enjoy, you should have no need to hate on others and what they play.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Once again because GW2 is SO FAR not getting the hate that Swtor is.  And yes I specifically mentioned STO.  And WAR AOC and STO DID have major problems at release and after.  Thats EXACTLY my point.  THANK YOU for entirely missing it. 

I would not call it Hate. It is more criticism then anything and GW2 is getting its share of it. Right now people are talking like SWToR has been released or some crap and it is confusing.

We are basing all this on some select vids where people had limited play time and not enough time to explore. Even I am not that much of a prick to predict the doom of a game off that.

Originally posted by Puremallace

I would not call it Hate. It is more criticism then anything and GW2 is getting its share of it. Right now people are talking like SWToR has been released or some crap and it is confusing.

We are basing all this on some select vids where people had limited play time and not enough time to explore. Even I am not that much of a prick to predict the doom of a game off that.

Well me neither.  As I said earlier Swtor could end up being amazing.  To a lot of people so far the game itself looks mediocre.  Maybe even just midly good.  Fans I think are mostly rilled up because its Star Wars.  Heck there's even countless posts saying just that.  One was made just a couple of pages ago. 

The problem here is Bioware was once the holy grail of gaming to many.  Before its acquisition by EA everything they made turned to pure gold.  What the shame here is, take a developer that makes crappy games, and through time, they start to make fairly decent ones.  Then everyone claps their hands. 

Yet take a developer like Bioware.  If they dont produce something absolutely ground breaking everyone yells BOO.  They're reputation for excellence may end up hurting them in the end and I kind of feel sorry for them.  And as Ive said before I really hope Swtor is a surprise of some sort.  That it really rocks.  Because Id honestly like Bioware to succeed as they were once my all time favorite developer. 

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

Originally posted by Puremallace

Well me neither.  As I said earlier Swtor could end up being amazing.  To a lot of people so far the game itself looks mediocre.  Maybe even just midly good.  Fans I think are mostly rilled up because its Star Wars.  Heck there's even countless posts saying just that.  One was made just a couple of pages ago. 

The problem here is Bioware was once the holy grail of gaming to many.  Before its acquisition by EA everything they made turned to pure gold.  What the shame here is, take a developer that makes crappy games, and through time, they start to make fairly decent ones.  Then everyone claps their hands. 

Yet take a developer like Bioware.  If they dont produce something absolutely ground breaking everyone yells BOO.  They're reputation for excellence may end up hurting them in the end and I kind of feel sorry for them.  And as Ive said before I really hope Swtor is a surprise of some sort.  That it really rocks.  Because Id honestly like Bioware to succeed as they were once my all time favorite developer. 

bioware lose they excellence, ever since they put DA2 and ME2 out, bioware right now is just everyone else

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • Distopia2Distopia2 Member Posts: 574

Please do not assume why I am looking forward to a game.  If you ask me, people are simply being selective in the marketing speak they subscribe to, as that's all we have to go by on the overall quality of either game.

To SB fans, please stop making our demographic look bad.Stop invading threads that have nothing to do with sandboxes.

SW:TOR Graphics Evolution and Comparison

SW:TOR Compare MMO Quests, Combat and More...

• GibboniciGibbonici Member UncommonPosts: 472

The thing is, just about every new MMO has had problems or been disappointing regardless of the amount of criticism that they've got before launch.

Here is my prediction -  SWTOR is going to disappoint some people, there will be something of a backlash after release from people who are angry that it hasn't lived up to their wishes for it. GW2 will have exactly the same thing happen.

Not only can neither of these games live up to the marketing hype 100%, neither of them can live up to that basic desire in all of us for them to provide that sense of wonder we got from our first MMO experiences, experiences which we'll never have again due having spent thousands of hours plugging away on MMOs. There'll be a month or two of "ooh shiny" and then it'll be back to the same old XP pinata game.

Yep, I'm a pretty jaded MMOer, I think all of us are who have played them for more than a few years, but I've pre-ordered SWTOR for whatever fun I can get out of it for however long it lasts. GW2, or any of the other upcoming MMOs, aren't on my radar for criticism or excitement simply because they don't interest me at all. What'll keep me in SWTOR is my gaming friends who have preordered it too and the fact that I'm not a hardcore gamer anymore - so I'll just be playing it as a game rather than as a way of life.

I do like the sound of a lot of SWTOR's features and I have some faith in Bioware to deliver an immersive, intriguing game, but in the end I'd rather have a blaster at my virtual side than a +8 sword of tired cliche and I'd rather rub shoulders with aliens than fairies.

And that's probably where most of us who are looking forward to SWTOR are coming from. And it doesn't matter if it doesn't beat WoW or any other game because that's not why any of us play the games we choose to play.

Originally posted by alkarionlog

bioware lose they excellence, ever since they put DA2 and ME2 out, bioware right now is just everyone else

Ok DA2 maybe, but stil 10x times better then 95% of other RPG's out there. FF 13 still gives me nightmares.

but ME2? How was it not amazing?

Originally posted by alkarionlog

Thats exactly how I kind of feel.  Of course, I didnt even like the first Dragon Age.  Never bothered buying the second one.  ME2 bothered me in a lot of ways.   Especially being that I absolutely loved the first one.  Which is why these days I'll actually go back and play ME1 but my copy of ME2 just sits there.  I'll probably buy ME3.....maybe.  I just want to see how to story ends I guess. 

But the combination of my experiences with Dragon Age and ME2 had me frowning and thinking, " Okay.  Whats happened to Bioware here? "  Id kind of like to strangle EA right now.   Wish they could just be happy with the money they were already making and leave good things alone.  : (