Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm Actually Offended by Huttball

Comments

• Distopia2Distopia2 Member Posts: 574

Originally posted by Troneas

keep deluding yourself and trying to find real life resembance. 

but your resemblance doesnt work.

one thing is to have citizens with different ideoligical beliefs participate in such games and another altogether is to have Yoda racing Palpatine in a speeder for glory.

you didn't see Krushchev or Sadam Hussein playing golf with Reagan or george bush did you? or armed forces in afghanistan taking some time off to fight in an arena against the taliban forces?

If you want to get literal here first and foremost when the two sides engage it's co-inhabitants facing off, it's a civil war. What happens in civil war? Sides aren't a thing always represented by political view, it could be simple survival that inspires a certain individuals siding in such a conflict. Ancestral ties, race/species related ties so on and so forth political views may be at the least of  worries on the minds of those at the grunt level.

Our characters are not the pivotal players of this story we're the ones who do their fighting. We're the general enlisted, we aren't the jedi council, we're not the Imperial heriarchy, we're not the republic senate, we're the average Joe or Jed(I) who happens to be a badass at our given avenue of ass kicking.

Every where you look in the Star Wars galaxy the two sides are co-existing as a populace, that's the way the SW galaxy has always been.

To SB fans, please stop making our demographic look bad.Stop invading threads that have nothing to do with sandboxes.

SW:TOR Graphics Evolution and Comparison

SW:TOR Compare MMO Quests, Combat and More...

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Tardcore

Originally posted by Foomerang

Originally posted by MMOtoGO
    Luke and the gang played a board game while on the Falcon so even smugglers, wookies and jedi students play games sometimes.

Yeeeah, but that's not qute the same thing as them teaming up with Darth Vader and Boba Fett in a battle to the death against some other Hutt's BG team.

those guys havent been born yet, derp! it sounds silly when you say "boba fett and vader wouldnt do this ish" because they never have or never will anyway. if you want to emulate boba fett or vader in tor, go right ahead. you can even turn your nose up to huttball just like you think they would if that makes you feel better. but theres a lot of other roleplayers (you know, the ones that play these types of games) that dont preoccupy themselves with WWVD

Again yeeeah. Unlike real world history where cultures changed and evolved over time, Bioware's Old Republic is actually the child of its supposed great great great grand children. And Bioware has gone out of their way to make their world set thousands of years earlier incredibly similar to the "far flung future". So they set the precident of what happend in the Star Wars films relevant to behviors in the Old Republic. So DERP! yourself. They also decided to straight jacket players into the two factions, but then added this BG game where both factions that are in a brutal struggle for supremacy will put aside their differences and work together in one silly BG. And I do mean silly. Huttball seems to have more in common with an uncountable number of stupid comic book supervillan death trap stories, or massive super hero comic book cross overs such as Marvel's Secret Wars, rather than anything based on the Star Wars universe.

Like I said, if you think its silly because of lore, then play that out in game, Thats awesome. Personally, Im going to want to play Huttball so I'll find an easy way to work my character into it.
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455

Originally posted by sonoggi

i was considering maybe trying the trial of TOR one day, but with circus acts like this one wrecking every possibility of immersion, i wouldnt touch this game with a stick even if it was f2p.

how do you guys feel about Huttball? will you take your Jedi Master Sage or lvl 80 Inquisitor to play space football when theyre taking a break from seeing into the future, meditating, and toppling empires?

Its nice you've found the time to stop fawning over GW2 to give us an "honest" opinion of TOR.

I seriously can't understand why the fans of one game find it necessary to shit all over another one.  Is there not room for both?  I plan on playing GW2 and TOR but my past experience with the GW1 community and the actions of its "fans" on forums like this make me ask myself "Why even bother with GW2?".

As for Huttball, it looks fun and when was the last time you could be killed in Battle Ground pvp by the environment, other than falling?  Having to watch out for acid pools and flame pits will change the way people regard BG's imo. 

So relax.  Its just a game and Huttball is an optional mini game that adds something different.  Good lord!  I shake my head at you people more and more often.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

This sort of goes up the same alley as Barbrawls in GW2 (not to turn it into that). It fits, but why would the heroes do it? Because it's something to do that isn't doing quests, taking control points and other such things that are standards to MMO.  Would a jedi do it? why not? A jedi must learn all things in order to understand the world better. Plus if you hurt the enemy in this game you've taken out a powerful warrior without so much as causing an infraction between the two. You've slowed the enemy down without ticking them off. Id' call that a good reason to partake in these events, Jedis learn awareness (to avoid traps) teamwork which is very important to fighting. Learn how the enemy thinks outside of battle (also important), plus you gain money which you can in turn give back to the republic so they can buy weapons, armors and other such goodies.

Light sided jedi would use this as an oppertunity to learn the other side, gain money to give back republic to fuel the war against the sith, and to better themselves.

Dark sided Jedi would use this as an oppertunity to harm the other side (empire) in order to slow their attack efforts

Light sided sith again would be similar to Jedi except wanting to put the money forth to stop the republic.

While dark sided sith..well they are self explanitory they just use this to cause damage and harm other people, fame and fortune are a plus

THe other classes are likely just doing it for fame and fortune.

This is on lines with GW2 bar brawl which doesn't help them kill the dragon and is opposite to the idea of trying to work together to complete an objective, and SWG housing system which seems counter intuitive when your suppose to be kill empire/republic. Did luke own a house..no, did he decorate his house? No he didn't. I've often seen times that republic people who weren't overt would walk up to vader..yes vader surrounded by all his empire, and he would do nothing.

Is it completely realistic to the lore..maybe, depends on the reasoning they used but it works for the game, as well as housing in SWG did and barbrawls in GW2 do.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by DistopiaEvery where you look in the Star Wars galaxy the two sides are co-existing as a populace, that's the way the SW galaxy has always been.

And unless they happen to be wearing their "I am a Sith Apprentice" t-shirts, how the hell are you going to know?

Anyway, enough of toying with the faux-indignation, got to work in the morning.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• AbdarAbdar Member UncommonPosts: 400

How can they ever create a real sense of conflict against each other, when your running a bg together. This idea is just bad for any MMO.. but Star Wars?? Worse then Jar Jar.

• Trident9259Trident9259 Member UncommonPosts: 860

Originally posted by Distopia

keep deluding yourself and trying to find real life resembance. 

but your resemblance doesnt work.

one thing is to have citizens with different ideoligical beliefs participate in such games and another altogether is to have Yoda racing Palpatine in a speeder for glory.

you didn't see Krushchev or Sadam Hussein playing golf with Reagan or george bush did you? or armed forces in afghanistan taking some time off to fight in an arena against the taliban forces?

If you want to get literal here first and foremost when the two sides engage it's co-inhabitants facing off, it's a civil war. What happens in civil war? Sides aren't a thing always represented by political view, it could be simple survival that inspires a certain individuals siding in such a conflict. Ancestral ties, race/species related ties so on and so forth political views may be at the least of  worries on the minds of those at the grunt level.

Our characters are not the pivotal players of this story we're the ones who do their fighting. We're the general enlisted, we aren't the jedi council, we're not the Imperial heriarchy, we're not the republic senate, we're the average Joe or Jed(I) who happens to be a badass at our given avenue of ass kicking.

Every where you look in the Star Wars galaxy the two sides are co-existing as a populace, that's the way the SW galaxy has always been.

well thats a change in discourse... i was almost convinced bioware wanted us to be the HERO of the galaxy. 

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

I am not a Star Wars purist, but I am an organic pvevp mmorpg enthusiast.  This additional instanced, redundant content, 4v4 UT2004-like, lobby-system, third-person shooter, skirmish mini-map game-play is an addition to the overly instanced, emphasized and promoted game-play, that is furthest from my idea of Massively-Multiplayer.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Luke and the gang played a board game while on the Falcon so even smugglers, wookies and jedi students play games sometimes.

Yeeeah, but that's not qute the same thing as them teaming up with Darth Vader and Boba Fett in a battle to the death against some other Hutt's BG team.

those guys havent been born yet, derp! it sounds silly when you say "boba fett and vader wouldnt do this ish" because they never have or never will anyway. if you want to emulate boba fett or vader in tor, go right ahead. you can even turn your nose up to huttball just like you think they would if that makes you feel better. but theres a lot of other roleplayers (you know, the ones that play these types of games) that dont preoccupy themselves with WWVD

Again yeeeah. Unlike real world history where cultures changed and evolved over time, Bioware's Old Republic is actually the child of its supposed great great great grand children. And Bioware has gone out of their way to make their world set thousands of years earlier incredibly similar to the "far flung future". So they set the precident of what happend in the Star Wars films relevant to behviors in the Old Republic. So DERP! yourself. They also decided to straight jacket players into the two factions, but then added this BG game where both factions that are in a brutal struggle for supremacy will put aside their differences and work together in one silly BG. And I do mean silly. Huttball seems to have more in common with an uncountable number of stupid comic book supervillan death trap stories, or massive super hero comic book cross overs such as Marvel's Secret Wars, rather than anything based on the Star Wars universe.

Like I said, if you think its silly because of lore, then play that out in game, Thats awesome. Personally, Im going to want to play Huttball so I'll find an easy way to work my character into it.

Hehe, I will. I can see my Smuggler's new catch phrase, "Huttball!? That's a game for Gungans and effeminate protocal droids, not REAL men!"

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

Originally posted by Cik_Asalin

I am not a Star Wars purist, but I am an organic pvevp mmorpg enthusiast.  This additional instanced, redundant content, 4v4 UT2004-like, lobby-system, third-person shooter, skirmish mini-map game-play is an addition to the overly instanced, emphasized and promoted game-play, that is furthest from my idea of Massively-Multiplayer.

Personally as long as there is still world PVP to be had, I can live with these things as a diversion.

To SB fans, please stop making our demographic look bad.Stop invading threads that have nothing to do with sandboxes.

• Life is rough.

Hehe, I will. I can see my Smuggler's new catch phrase, "Huttball!? That's a game for Gungans and effeminate protocal droids, not REAL men!"

Then I can picture my smuggler kicking you in the junk...image

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by sonoggi

i was considering maybe trying the trial of TOR one day, but with circus acts like this one wrecking every possibility of immersion, i wouldnt touch this game with a stick even if it was f2p.

how do you guys feel about Huttball? will you take your Jedi Master Sage or lvl 80 Inquisitor to play space football when theyre taking a break from seeing into the future, meditating, and toppling empires?

It only breaks immersion if you choose to let it.  If you're deep into the RP aspect of the game and find Huttball beneath you, don't participate in it.  That would be perfectly in keeping with your character.  You can even play it up by chiding others for their "juvenile and worldly pursuits".  Besides, it's just a minigame (isn't it?) so you won't need to ever go near it to progress.

HA! ... in a rather strained and oddly high pitched voice.

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

I'm sure this has been posted already but just in case.

LA has done more to kill it's own franchise (i.e. Jar Jar, the whole Prequil fiasco in general, Clone Wars etc) than BW will ever to to SW.

If Huttball is all the "imersion breaking" that we REAL SW fans see in-game then we should count ourselves lucky. I for one will not play it prolly, but i'm OK with its existance.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

Not a real man anymore are ya? image

• Trident9259Trident9259 Member UncommonPosts: 860

finally. someone who can make an objective evaluation without letting their bioware fanatism get in the way. 

you are absolutely right. its not only a rape to the lore, its a violation to what a proper MMORPG is. 

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

finally. someone who can make an objective evaluation without letting their bioware fanatism get in the way. 

you are absolutely right. its not only a rape to the lore, its a violation to what a proper MMORPG is. 

Try finding someone who can make an objection evaluation without letting their own unrealistic expectations get in the way.

There Is Always Hope!

What a great attitude, the only sane person is the one who agrees with me!! ROFl

• RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 828

Huttball sounds kind of lame,like it should belong in Battlestar Galactica Online or Starship Troopers. But I don't find it offensive like some, just something I will ignore.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455

Yes, its an "objective evaluation" because he agrees with you.image

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

Looks like I'm off to play some Huttball. image

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Heh, smuggler with a conscience. Now Ive seen everything. Turnin down easy credits to prove hes a man... tell you what "real man" I'll kill you on the battlefield for free. And when you come to, all slimy and naked in the cloning chamber, you can take solace in the fact that you didnt even get paid.
  • PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

What a great attitude, the only sane person is the one who agrees with me!! ROFl

Hehe

Looks like I'm off to play some Huttball. image

Touche, touche