Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm Actually Offended by Huttball

Comments

• ThekandyThekandy Member Posts: 621

Originally posted by Metentso

"it's just a game" means games can't be the containers of interesting and consitent stories and inmersion?

You're afraid that TOR won't have consistensy and immersion just because they have their own version of Bloodbowl?!

• LawlieLawlie Member Posts: 49

So far the game doesnt even feel like starwars, hopefully my mind will change when i play it...

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

Originally posted by Thekandy

Originally posted by Abdar

Two words: The Exhange.

It's pretty much the biggest crime syndicate in known space.

Was that out of some books or was that in the original KOTOR games? Never played those. Either way.. that would have been cool.

It's from the KotoRs.

You should really give them a try, makes you understand what yoiu're in for with TOR a whole lot better.

There's still Hutts though, they usually take the role of organizers and "event" hosts when they're not being crime lords.

This is why huttball makes perfect sense. Anyone who has played KOTOR would know this. Also, it corresponds with official movie lore from Episode 1. Remember, the pod racing event? It was hosted by a hutt, and was an insanely dangerous event.

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

"it's just a game" means games can't be the containers of interesting and consitent stories and inmersion?

You're afraid that TOR won't have consistensy and immersion just because they have their own version of Bloodbowl?!

Yes, on top of some other features.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

You'd be hardpressed to ever find a human civilization whose peoples didn't participate in games or sporting events.  It's a cultural universal.  Just because such sports never made an appearance in the previous Star Wars stories (a la Quidditch in the Harry Potter world) doesn't mean there isn't a place for them in the Star Wars universe.  The advantage of an MMO, or a persistent world, has is that it can expand the Star Wars universe beyond the confines of the linear stories to which you've become accustomed.  

• BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812

watch la or bioware throw in some random canon story behind it and everybody will say its a "legit piece of star wars lore".

Originally posted by Calladen

I don't see how it's any different from the celebrity cameos in MMOs (Haris Pilton in WoW, Felice Adae in EQ2, etc.), the silly seasonal festivals you see in EQ2 and Lord of the Rings Online, or the inclusion of minigames within an MMO (Plants vs. Zombies in WoW).

There was a card game in KOTOR.  How is it any less absurd for your Jedi (or Sith wannabe) to sit around in the cantina and play Space Magic the Gathering with some nodbodies than it is to get in a little game of rancor-skin?  How about the swoop racing in KOTOR? 

As a roleplayer, I can understand being hesitant to participate in character, but that's not going to stop me from giving it a shot. Just like the many time I've RP'ed in an MMO before SWTOR, the things my character does, and the things I do with my character will be kept separate.  

Even in character, jedis sit down for a drink once in a while. It's not like the span of the Swtor storyline takes places within 2 hours of lore. The last thing I want swtor to be is The Force Unleashed 3.

Yes, on top of some other features.

So basically, it is impossible to have violent sport on a corrupt gambling planet controlled by hutts, because that would pretty much ruin immersion?

This makes no sense. If anything its on par for immersion.

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

Originally posted by Timukas

Huttball is OK imho. The real problem are PvPers who are already overflowing SW:TOR forums with insane demands and QQ. I do not mind PvP but so-called PvP community (as they like to call themselves) is the worst part of any MMOs these days. They always find something to whine about and for most of them the idea of PvP is ganking lowbies.

im sorry you see pvp'ers as a problem. theyre a disenfranchised bunch really. considering how hard every MMO has raped PVP. luckily, pvp'ers will find a home in GW2.

• TeiraaTeiraa Member UncommonPosts: 447

Haha... this Huttball really feels like some sort of Clown Wars.image

My decision not to buy SWTOR seems more and more justified. Thanks to the devs for making this decision easy for me! :P

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

Originally posted by Deathstrike2

There's a lot of things in this world to be offended by -- Huttball isn't one of them.  Sorry, but SWTOR is just a game, Star Wars isn't real, and if something isn't fun, you don't have to participate.

huh.. you guys are really taking my hyberbole a little too seriously.

Originally posted by Beanpuie

watch la or bioware throw in some random canon story behind it and everybody will say its a "legit piece of star wars lore".

It's interesting, because according to Lucas himself, KotOR is stricken from the canon, all the while Jar Jar is a-ok.

Maybe now the old republic timeline gets to be fully canon, it certainly deserves that.

That's how it works man! And yes it would become legit. Think about it, we have pod racing, pazaak, virtual chess, to the death duel arena's, twie'k night clubs, rancor pits, you name it. Do you think that the entertainment side to SW has to be so NARROW as to have nothing else in the entire galaxy EXIST because it isn't already there?

This is an entire galaxy that the lore is based off of. So when expanding the lore on a sparsely touched on "Nar shadaa", it's appropriate to add to it. If anything, Nar shadaa doesn't have enough lore to be immersive as it is. Bioware is filling in the gaps and brining it to life.

I think you just fear change, and would have preferred a set limit to the lore. Never have anything new added again.

Originally posted by sonoggi

Originally posted by Deathstrike2

There's a lot of things in this world to be offended by -- Huttball isn't one of them.  Sorry, but SWTOR is just a game, Star Wars isn't real, and if something isn't fun, you don't have to participate.

huh.. you guys are really taking my hyberbole a little too seriously.

Oh you big ol' troll you.

Originally posted by denshing

That's how it works man! And yes it would become legit. Think about it, we have pod racing, pazaak, virtual chess, to the death duel arena's, twie'k night clubs, rancor pits, you name it. Do you think that the entertainment side to SW has to be so NARROW as to have nothing else in the entire galaxy EXIST because it isn't already there?

This is an entire galaxy that the lore is based off of. So when expanding the lore on a sparsely touched on "Nar shadaa", it's appropriate to add to it. If anything, Nar shadaa doesn't have enough lore to be immersive as it is. Bioware is filling in the gaps and brining it to life.

I think you just fear change, and would have preferred a set limit to the lore. Never have anything new added again.

You would be right if it wasn't cross-faction but i bet it will be cross-faction too.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

I hope they use an Ewok Skull for the ball....or hell...even a whole Ewok.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

Originally posted by sonoggi

i was considering maybe trying the trial of TOR one day, but with circus acts like this one wrecking every possibility of immersion, i wouldnt touch this game with a stick even if it was f2p.

how do you guys feel about Huttball? will you take your Jedi Master Sage or lvl 80 Inquisitor to play space football when theyre taking a break from seeing into the future, meditating, and toppling empires?

I bet you are one of those guys that /wrists over the whole midichlorian thing too.

Its moderately original and word is its actually pretty fun.  It's also completely optional.  I think you need to pull up your grown-man pants and quit acting like its the end for the world.

You would be right if it wasn't cross-faction but i bet it will be cross-faction too.

You had cross faction interaction on neutral planets in the original Kotor as well. It's also been done in episode 3, where Obi-wan goes to the neutral planet where clones are being developed by contract.

• CingeCinge Member Posts: 120

It's not. They already cleared up whole "mixed teams" from the doctors etc.

It can be Emprie vs Republic, Empire vs Empire or Republic vs Republic.

"midichlorian"

RAAAAAAAGE!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

My thought is that it's a "mini-game" and something that falls outside of the "world" of SWToR.

Bascially a fun diversion when players want to be less serious.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Originally posted by Cinge

It's not. They already cleared up whole "mixed teams" from the doctors etc.

It can be Emprie vs Republic, Empire vs Empire or Republic vs Republic.

See, Empire vs Republic makes zero sense to me. Maybe i'm wrong, i'm not a lore expert in SW. Guess you will say back then they played.

• leumasx7leumasx7 Member Posts: 218

I Mark as troll thread******

Also, its not foot ball. Its more like a arena obstacle with capturing the ball as such (also foot ball, has no deathly combat, or fireplatforms, and u run one way [u run else where which is through death obstacle])

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I think that its quite believable from immersion perspective. The hutts do anything to earn money and would earn a lot from placed bets here. It is also to be expected that the war between Empire and Republic isnt that black and white either (like any war) and that many people dont really care about it enough, which makes this setting possible.

But, I find it odd that Jedi would participate. That just doesnt fit in their beliefs about order and justice. Im not sure about the Sith though. But Smugglers, Bounty Hunters and soldiers, sure why not. If not to earn a buck, then maybe to pay off a debt to the Hutts.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

I hope this is a troll post.