Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm Actually Offended by Huttball

Comments

• esos24esos24 Member Posts: 34

Huttball is awesome :)

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Looks fun to me.  I'm a Star Wars fan, but I can see the entertainment value of this even if it isn't expressly detailed in the lore.  Fun before lore, fun before mechanics, fun instead of time sinks is my motto.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AbdarAbdar Member UncommonPosts: 400

For a game that is putting a lot of their chips into the whole 'story' aspect, this is pretty weak.

That being said, what annoys me more is they have to tie EVERYTHING back to the movies. Was there ever any other ganster famillies thoughout Star Wars time beyond the Hutts? Could they not have made a new one up, something just a bit different?

To me that's the theme of this game though.. keep it to what people know and don't change things up too much.

• JTJT Member Posts: 401

Originally posted by sonoggi

i was considering maybe trying the trial of TOR one day, but with circus acts like this one wrecking every possibility of immersion, i wouldnt touch this game with a stick even if it was f2p.

how do you guys feel about Huttball? will you take your Jedi Master Sage or lvl 80 Inquisitor to play space football when theyre taking a break from seeing into the future, meditating, and toppling empires?

seeing into the future, meditating, and toppling empires?

I'm pretty sure this isn't in the game.. at least not yet.

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

i was considering maybe trying the trial of TOR one day, but with circus acts like this one wrecking every possibility of immersion, i wouldnt touch this game with a stick even if it was f2p.

how do you guys feel about Huttball? will you take your Jedi Master Sage or lvl 80 Inquisitor to play space football when theyre taking a break from seeing into the future, meditating, and toppling empires?

Circus and Bread, the corner stone of civilization.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• GibboniciGibbonici Member UncommonPosts: 472

I'm not into really into the idea of Huttball so I won't bother with that particular feature and it won't affect my game experience or immersion one little bit.

If other people play it and enjoy it that's fine by me. I don't see the problem to be honest.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

The fact is...StarWars has a lot of lore. Created by lucas and many others and approved by the head honcho. Lore that is still being created and tweeked every time someone creates  something new in whatever medium for which they obtained a license be it a game,book,comic, bedsheets, toilet paper ,animated episode..etc..etc.. Just because we haven't seen or heard it mentioned doesn't mean it can't exist inside the vast universe that is Star Wars. Whatever the time period. Why it's so against canon to have a gladiatorial event like Huttball in the game is beyond me. It's an instanced Warzone anyway..just don't Queue up for it and go on living your strict lives.

• xenomxenom Member UncommonPosts: 116

it's starwars, a very large universe with everything possible..just cuz it's like not exactly like in the movies doesn't make it less immervise or starwarsy..in this timefrime there is tons of jedi and not everyone is like yoda so some play huttball ^^

i personally find it good that bioware adds stuff out of the box as everything else would just limited the potential of the game.

• MeridionMeridion Member UncommonPosts: 1,495

Another "We as a company see to it that you get the most comical, color-laden, ridiculous, deteriorated star wars experience ever to be developed".

You know, the whole "clone-wars"-lookalike already had me rolleyeing 18 months ago.

If you "Phantom menace is teh best thing evar"-people can overlook the fact that LA has been a**r**ing the franchise for a decade now culminating in the comical cataclysm that is TOR, good for you. But in my book, even the star trek flaying over at Cryptic pales compared to what they do to Star Wars.

And no, I'm not talking about "serious bizniz", I love Warhammer for example, I love not-so-serious approaches, but Star Wars was never meant to be a comic book lookalike for kids. I know LA decides what is SW and what isn't. I don't give a damn; SW is what the movies of the 70s conveyed, anything else is bullshit.

M

• ThekandyThekandy Member Posts: 621

Originally posted by Abdar

For a game that is putting a lot of their chips into the whole 'story' aspect, this is pretty weak.

That being said, what annoys me more is they have to tie EVERYTHING back to the movies. Was there ever any other ganster famillies thoughout Star Wars time beyond the Hutts? Could they not have made a new one up, something just a bit different?

To me that's the theme of this game though.. keep it to what people know and don't change things up too much.

Two words: The Exchange.

It's pretty much the biggest crime syndicate in known space.

• DDragonstormDDragonstorm Member UncommonPosts: 9

its probably been thought of,..but why have jedi/sith or any of the main classes for this.  they wouldnt be used anyway.  why not just give people the races that would most likely be used for the game and let them just play " hut ball players"  this way people would still have their immersion,..just not as their pretty little jedi's and sith lords

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

legalised gankfest at its best i bet lot of player will dig this a lot

• Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777

There's a lot of things in this world to be offended by -- Huttball isn't one of them.  Sorry, but SWTOR is just a game, Star Wars isn't real, and if something isn't fun, you don't have to participate.

More to do in game = better in my book.  All work and no play makes force users boring anyway.

• AbdarAbdar Member UncommonPosts: 400

Two words: The Exhange.

Was that out of some books or was that in the original KOTOR games? Never played those. Either way.. that would have been cool.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Originally posted by Meridion

Another "We as a company see to it that you get the most comical, color-laden, ridiculous, deteriorated star wars experience ever to be developed".

You know, the whole "clone-wars"-lookalike already had me rolleyeing 18 months ago.

If you "Phantom menace is teh best thing evar"-people can overlook the fact that LA has been a**r**ing the franchise for a decade now culminating in the comical cataclysm that is TOR, good for you. But in my book, even the star trek flaying over at Cryptic pales compared to what they do to Star Wars.

And no, I'm not talking about "serious bizniz", I love Warhammer for example, I love not-so-serious approaches, but Star Wars was never meant to be a comic book lookalike for kids. I know LA decides what is SW and what isn't. I don't give a damn; SW is what the movies of the 70s conveyed, anything else is bullshit.

M

As much as I actually don't mind the Huttball warzone and most of what I've seen of the game....I still agree with the good portion of your quote. Including what Star Wars was and what Lucas turned it into...and then try to convince us that this is what he intended since the beginning. I wish the graphics were original and not Clone-war-cloned. I wish Lucas hadn't  arse-fugged  our childhood memories to the point of making a pedophile blush. Still ..I'm excited for alot of what the game has to offer. I  think the Huttball thing is more twisted-sick than silly....just the kind of thing a sci-fi criminal organization would think of to deal with certain"problems" and get some entertainment (and gambling proceeds) from the whole affair. it reminds me of the classic movie "The Longest Yard"..{the damn fine Burt Reynolds movie (1974)..not the mostly lame Adam Sandler shite(2005)}.  Who knows....i may be disappointed..but I hope not.

Originally posted by DDragonstorm

its probably been thought of,..but why have jedi/sith or any of the main classes for this.  they wouldnt be used anyway.  why not just give people the races that would most likely be used for the game and let them just play " hut ball players"  this way people would still have their immersion,..just not as their pretty little jedi's and sith lords

Let me relate that thought to WoW for a second.

So WoW has these dungeons where you're supposed to be mounting some sort of vehicle (Dragons, siege machines and what have you) these dungeons are among the most despised and avoided for one sole reason. You're not playing as your character per se, instead you're given a new set of abilities (Usually 2-5) people hated that and stated that they would rather disconnect their internet cable than not be their characters in that dungeon.

Point is, you underestimate the attachment people have to their characters when you say that people would still have their immersion as a random football player.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

huttball is about ball.but the main rule:
    THERE ARE NO RULE!
    are there rule in arena(wow)
    lol

Originally posted by Abdar

Two words: The Exhange.

Was that out of some books or was that in the original KOTOR games? Never played those. Either way.. that would have been cool.

It's from the KotoRs.

You should really give them a try, makes you understand what yoiu're in for with TOR a whole lot better.

There's still Hutts though, they usually take the role of organizers and "event" hosts when they're not being crime lords.

• futnatusfutnatus Member Posts: 193

Welcome mesa good peoples tosa the 105th annual Huttball tournaments!

Our first game is between the beloved underdog, Ewoks-United and the 'we-all-know-they-must-be-cheating' Sith Supersport.

Now, we all love to hate the Sith team for the controversial backgrounds of their players but this year, they have surprised all faithful followers of this sport by... Changing every single living member in their team for a giant robot, humongous wild creature or a cyborg mix of both.

So I think it is safe to say, while we do still love laughing at Ewoks failing on the field, being kicked around instead of the ball and such, everyone is going to be rooting for the Sith from now on.

• busdriverbusdriver Member Posts: 859

Awww cmon, EA only uses around $100 million to make this game. You can't do much with such a small amount of money.

Right now you get voice acting, one of the most boring combat systems the industry has to offer, generic quests and huttball. And lightsabers! Can't forget those shiny, colorful lightsabers.

It will be epic.

• CalladenCalladen Member Posts: 22

I don't see how it's any different from the celebrity cameos in MMOs (Haris Pilton in WoW, Felice Adae in EQ2, etc.), the silly seasonal festivals you see in EQ2 and Lord of the Rings Online, or the inclusion of minigames within an MMO (Plants vs. Zombies in WoW).

There was a card game in KOTOR.  How is it any less absurd for your Jedi (or Sith wannabe) to sit around in the cantina and play Space Magic the Gathering with some nodbodies than it is to get in a little game of rancor-skin?  How about the swoop racing in KOTOR? 

As a roleplayer, I can understand being hesitant to participate in character, but that's not going to stop me from giving it a shot. Just like the many time I've RP'ed in an MMO before SWTOR, the things my character does, and the things I do with my character will be kept separate.  

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

"it's just a game" means games can't be the containers of interesting and consitent stories and inmersion?

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

It seemed really fun to me? I loved it.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

... but will there be podracing?