Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How will Open World Pvp work in Swtor?

BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812

Tl;dr version:    Any information about SWTORS open world pvp? will it have any meaning or just be ho hum after thought due to the majority of the budget being used for voice overs and raiding?

regular version:

Been looking for information about SWTORS open world pvp but in essence this is perhaps more towards  open world pvp in general.

certain mmo's that have some kind of pvp mini game feature,  open world pvp ends up drying out and dying.  again, my assumption is mainly having a more controlled pvp feature as a alternative compared to one that favors those that can stealth the longest to get the drop on another, or giant massive scale battles.

both types btw are legit imo, but after a while those in between (small guilds, or players that lack a stealth feature) tend to move away from contested pvp areas, leaving the left over open world pvp players out to dry; and once they start disappearing, thats bad.

there are some games that do open world pvp right so im told, and i cant say i have enough time to try them out, im mainly going by words of season veterans that experienced it and know what they are talking about.

going back to SWTOR-

So far, I have yet to see anything surface about this games open world pvp, i am starting to believe the speculation that  swtors pvp will be a bigger after thought than realized while the pve/story portion is its main bread and butter not only for launch, but after launch, and in its expansions and years on end.

sure we got warzones of alderan, voidstar, and hutt ball ( gun slinger nut kick anyone ftw?),  but im fooling myself to think that EA/Bioware will reach,  AND hold their user base goal for more than 3 months if all they got to show for end game is 1 raid dungeon (eternity vault) a couple repeatables and some mystery promotion(legacy system) to have people make multiple alts.

Again, Im certain we'll see some open world pvp videos much later on, but the extent of their importance is what i am concerned about.

Comments

• SojhinSojhin Member UncommonPosts: 226

Working under the themepark two faction centric pvp game constraits unless there are very large systems in place for world pvp I would not count on swtor having meaningful world pvp.

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

The devs have said that there will be a PvP update "soon". So I expect sometime in Sep to see a PvP update to give us much of the info.

We know there will be a PvP server with open world PvP in most areas. Just the starter worlds and home worlds will not have open world PvP. So just about everywhere else if you see a player of the other faction, you can try to kill them. We have also seen that on Tatooine, players of the opposite faction will be sent accross the zone for questing. So they will cross paths in many places that will lead to open world PvP.

There has been talk of something like WAR's Lakes in TOR. Places for open world objective based PvP on both PvP and PvE servers. And we know that there will be one planet just for PvP at launch. But we are missing actual info from the devs. And as I said, it will be "soon".

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• Artemis pretty much covered what is known.  Pvp servers have open pvp in most places.  pve servers you can flag your self for pvp.  there are open world pvp areas with objectives on both pvp and pve servers.  if you go to one of these areas when you are on a pve server, you automatically get flagged for pvp.  they have said that if you go to those areas then it is with the understanding that you are there for pvp.  story quests won't be sending you there.  there have been mention of pvp related quests but haven't really heard anything about that.

personally i think we will be hearing about the pvp stuff at pax since at comic con they were telling people to come back to them with their pvp questions in a month and the next community insider update we get will have a pvp focused community q&a

in this interview with Gabe Amantangelo he makes mention of the pvp areas with objectives:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viRTCT365Ro&feature=player_detailpage#t=263s

http://darthhater.com/2011/05/05/fan-site-summit-gabe-amatangelo-interview/

Gabe Amatangelo: I want to touch on open world PvP. We're going to have PvP servers, and on the PvE servers there will be designated PvP areas. On a PvE server, you aren't going to flag unless you want to flag yourself, or unless you go into a designated PvP area that is going to be completely isolated from quests and story lines and that kind of stuff. Now, we're not talking about the goals inside those areas today, but we are saying that it is there. People can go and fight each other there.

Are these Open World PvP areas guild- or faction-based?

We're not talking about the goals of those areas. I know Darth Hater and all the people who follow you are really group conscious. You guys are guilds. We want to do everything we can to accommodate that type of game play.

Today we're focusing on a few systems that we haven't talked about before. The focus of them is promoting a good, healthy PvP community and allowing players to play the role they want in PvP. There are a number of systems that roll into those two points.

• according to one of the fansites that had someone at pax, during a Q&A, stephen reid said we will be hearing about open world pvp at pax:

http://torwars.com/2011/08/20/exclusive-gamescom-report-bens-alderaan-pvp-impressions-trooper-origin-hands-on/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Torwars+%28TORWars%29

One person asked if there was going to be Open World PvP. The answer again was “Yes,” but he added that next week (guessing PAX) there will be a big announcement about Open World PvP.

• PhilssPhilss Member Posts: 433

WoW open world PvP died the days battlegrounds were added .

SW tor will have BGs day 1 . Unless there is a huge reward for doing open world pvp it will be dead like every mmo with battlground type of pvp .

As much as i like open world pvp in old mmo like UO-DAOC its something that died long time ago . Ppl are spoiled with bg now because they are always even ( 10 vs 10 etc ) world pvp is all about who has the biggest zerg .

• JeffJ200JeffJ200 Member UncommonPosts: 17

I really hope its faction based.   Upon joining a PVP server that is what should expected.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

as an x DAOC player...I continue to look for the next generation....perhaps...Star Wars....one can hope for faction based 24/7 conflict....taking objectives..holding them. Maybe they will get it "right".