Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this the game for me after all?

13»

Comments

• andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970

Originally posted by Svarcanum

Hey fanbois, fangirls and forum browsers!

I've been devouring everything related to GW2 these last few months and I've been repeatedly positively surprised by the design choices presented. I love the DE system (since I vehemently dislike quest based levelling). I love the WvWvW concept, it's truly spot on. I love how dungeons have a story mode and a exploration mode. I love how combat is more action based and focused on positioning and fast tactical decisions rather on a dull rotation that can be perfected fighting a target dummy. 

However, I've grown more uncertain lately. Will there be a pve endgame in GW2? I know there won't be raids, but will there be any way of slowly continue progression in the game after you've hit 80? They've stated there's no grinding and since there's no monthly fee I guess we can't exactly expect content updates. Or am I wrong here? Granted, I really like pvp. Both casual and hardcore. But I also *need* a pve endgame. Goals to fight toward and camraderie within a tight knit guild, doing challenging things together. Will GW2 offer me this?

To me it feels like GW2 caters toward the casual *and* hardcore PvP:ers, but only the casual PvE:er. I am at the moment a casual PvP:er and a hardcore PvE:er (though that's been reversed before, but I get too stressed out doing arenas in wow at a high level nowadays). 

I know Arenanet seems to only release info about features when they're implemented and working, so maybe there's something going on behind the scenes that we don't know of. But I'm asking you, oh knowledgable community, is GW2 the game for me after all?

Svarcanum

Hello.

If you look back at GW1 there were missions with high scores and I think they will make this feature better than it was in the original GW(There were only a couple of missions that had this). In the original you could ding 20 in a day if you wanted to, but that did not mean the game was finished, by far.

In GW2 when they say you will not need to spend hours upon hours to get to level 80, they mean that you should be able to ding 80 by simple doing the DE's that is along the way combined with Personal story and lower level Dungeons.

But yeah, to get a good looking weapon of some sort you will probably have to farm a bit so you can buy it or you can try to get lucky and get it as a drop. I'm sure there will be alot of really good looking weapons and armors for you to achieve satisfaction. Whats better than looking awesome when you pwn noobs in PvP?:D 

The biggest part of end game in GW was the titles and farming for good looking weapons and armor. The titles were pretty much based on everything, explorer, you got points for killing monsters in a certain territory which gave you a title that improved some PvE skills. There are titles that say, woah this guy has actually spent alot of time to achieve that. 

As for the hardcore PvP side of you there were emotes that you could gain from doing PvP in GW1. I'm pretty sure this will be the case in GW2 aswell since this was one of the biggest part of the game for many people. By earning these ranks people actually respected you and they saw that you had spent alot of time to achieve a certain title. Here's a link to the emotes that you could get by doing PvP in GW1:http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Hero_(title)  I really, really hope they will bring this feature into GW2 as well since it was one of the main reasons that people did as much PvP as they did. 

In GW when the first player go the highest rank there were hundreds of people standing around him to see the emote he got, and they were like: WOAH thats soo cool> You get the thing dont you? .P

The game will also have ladders for you to compete in and ofc the WvWvW which should be fun no matter how many times you play it :)

There will be lots of things to "grind" end game in GW2 but it will not be grinding to buy a armor with better stats than anyone else. It will be to buy or achieve a nice looking armor set and weapon sets.(You will probably need atleast 6 weapons, and several armor sets if you want to look good while you play your different builds^^)

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

Originally posted by andre369

Originally posted by Svarcanum

Hey fanbois, fangirls and forum browsers!

I've been devouring everything related to GW2 these last few months and I've been repeatedly positively surprised by the design choices presented. I love the DE system (since I vehemently dislike quest based levelling). I love the WvWvW concept, it's truly spot on. I love how dungeons have a story mode and a exploration mode. I love how combat is more action based and focused on positioning and fast tactical decisions rather on a dull rotation that can be perfected fighting a target dummy. 

However, I've grown more uncertain lately. Will there be a pve endgame in GW2? I know there won't be raids, but will there be any way of slowly continue progression in the game after you've hit 80? They've stated there's no grinding and since there's no monthly fee I guess we can't exactly expect content updates. Or am I wrong here? Granted, I really like pvp. Both casual and hardcore. But I also *need* a pve endgame. Goals to fight toward and camraderie within a tight knit guild, doing challenging things together. Will GW2 offer me this?

To me it feels like GW2 caters toward the casual *and* hardcore PvP:ers, but only the casual PvE:er. I am at the moment a casual PvP:er and a hardcore PvE:er (though that's been reversed before, but I get too stressed out doing arenas in wow at a high level nowadays). 

I know Arenanet seems to only release info about features when they're implemented and working, so maybe there's something going on behind the scenes that we don't know of. But I'm asking you, oh knowledgable community, is GW2 the game for me after all?

Svarcanum

Hello.

If you look back at GW1 there were missions with high scores and I think they will make this feature better than it was in the original GW(There were only a couple of missions that had this). In the original you could ding 20 in a day if you wanted to, but that did not mean the game was finished, by far.

In GW2 when they say you will not need to spend hours upon hours to get to level 80, they mean that you should be able to ding 80 by simple doing the DE's that is along the way combined with Personal story and lower level Dungeons.

But yeah, to get a good looking weapon of some sort you will probably have to farm a bit so you can buy it or you can try to get lucky and get it as a drop. I'm sure there will be alot of really good looking weapons and armors for you to achieve satisfaction. Whats better than looking awesome when you pwn noobs in PvP?:D 

The biggest part of end game in GW was the titles and farming for good looking weapons and armor. The titles were pretty much based on everything, explorer, you got points for killing monsters in a certain territory which gave you a title that improved some PvE skills. There are titles that say, woah this guy has actually spent alot of time to achieve that. 

As for the hardcore PvP side of you there were emotes that you could gain from doing PvP in GW1. I'm pretty sure this will be the case in GW2 aswell since this was one of the biggest part of the game for many people. By earning these ranks people actually respected you and they saw that you had spent alot of time to achieve a certain title. Here's a link to the emotes that you could get by doing PvP in GW1:http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Hero_(title)  I really, really hope they will bring this feature into GW2 as well since it was one of the main reasons that people did as much PvP as they did. 

In GW when the first player go the highest rank there were hundreds of people standing around him to see the emote he got, and they were like: WOAH thats soo cool> You get the thing dont you? .P

The game will also have ladders for you to compete in and ofc the WvWvW which should be fun no matter how many times you play it :)

There will be lots of things to "grind" end game in GW2 but it will not be grinding to buy a armor with better stats than anyone else. It will be to buy or achieve a nice looking armor set and weapon sets.(You will probably need atleast 6 weapons, and several armor sets if you want to look good while you play your different builds^^)

I covered a lot of this mildly in my post, but, pretty much what he said.

Thank you Andre  image

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

dont sweat it it will be in there but endgame is evolving all the time in various game so i bet gw2 will also !cant recall how it worked but if i recall they had new content almost every year!

• sidhaethesidhaethe Member Posts: 861

I've been thinking about it, and I might just be starting to understand what people like puremallace are talking about when they act as though GW2 fans are trying to mislead them (of course, I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong). We focus on similar, but related, features not as a means to distract the career raider, but as a means to determine the true purpose that drives them, because a lot of times people are not motivated by the base, literal goals they chase.

It's a similar approach to when you bring up how healing vs. support works in GW2 to someone who wants to be a dedicated healer. ArenaNet approaches it thusly: do you 1) like being a healer because you like to help and support your party, getting allies out of a pinch, keeping people in the fight and rezzing the fallen--

or do you 2) like to be a healer because you literally like pushing the healing buttons on your UI and being the first pick of every group, not because of HOW you play, but because of WHAT you play? If 1), then there is a place for you in GW2. If 2), GW2 will not satisfy your needs.

It's like that with raids. Those of us on board with ANet's vision want to know: do you like to raid because 1) you, being a highly-skilled player with a mastery of game mechanics (let's say you are when the game releases), like to get together with other highly-skilled players and challenge yourselves to complete content that simply cannot be completed without a high level of skill and coordination, thereby acquiring some otherwise unobtainable reward that you can show off in the outside world that lets others know that you achieved this thing--

or do you like to raid because 2) it gives you gear that gives you an ever-increasing statistical edge over someone who does not raid, thus ever widening the POWER DIFFERENTIAL (not prestige) between you and someone who has not yet begun to raid or is not able to raid at your rate (for whatever reason)? Or, alternately, specifically because you like project management (i.e. wrangling teams of 10/25/40 across time zones to a unified goal)?

If 1), then GW2 will have plenty to satisfy in the form of elite Dynamic Events and 8 dungeons with 3 explorable paths each, and more to be added after launch (whether separately or bundled with expansions). These will NOT be able to be completed with PUGs, and will drop rare gear with max-level stats (the level 80 ones, at least) and an appearance that cannot otherwise be obtained in the game.

If 2), then GW2 is not, and will not be, the game for you.

While it could very well be argued that most people like to acquire loot or some form of reward for their efforts, it is NOT evident that most people will ONLY be satisfied with STATISTICALLY SUPERIOR gear on an ever-increasing scale for conquering high-end content.

• C0MAC0MA Member Posts: 522

This game is for everyone, everyone might not be ready for this game though. Eventually i'm pretty sure most mmo gamers will own a copy. Buy 2 play is always appealing.

"Sometimes people say stuff they don''t mean, but more often then that they don''t say things they do mean"