Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone seriously playing this game?

I was one of those that left right after AoC launch. I was totally ignored and laughed at by Funcom, after posting all the bugs and fuckups that I noticed in the early Beta. I was so pissed, cos I wanted to help them, but no they was more busy hyping their game and ignoring any form of truth or sence of realistic objective view.

So yes, who would play this game? Have Funcom started to produce patch fixes that are smart and not of the nerf bat type? I remember bad fixes that made people leave the game, and I really hope that every single developer that was working at AoC at launce are now replaced.

I am not going to ever play AoC again, but I am curious to know how the Funcom staff are doing? I also think it was a good move to make this game "Free 2 Play" (with quotes, cos its not free 2 play if u dont wanna feel nerfed)

Comments

• ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659

If you have no intentions of playing, then why do you care if others are playing?

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

• fieldingfielding Member Posts: 15

Originally posted by Thornrage

If you have no intentions of playing, then why do you care if others are playing?

I got very involved with this game some years ago. I am still a fan of "what it could have been" but never was. Now I am more interested in how Funcom do their business, than AoC.

I am trying to follow some MMORPG developers, to see how they perform. I would be happy to get an objective and truthful answer to how and more importantly "if" Funcom at all have managed to make some kind of turn around. Bcos I am still pissed of by the way AoC where made, and the poor support (if there was anything like it at all). Now I am seeking answers, if Funcom is ever capable of making games worth my time for the future.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

Originally posted by fielding

I was one of those that left right after AoC launch. I was totally ignored and laughed at by Funcom, after posting all the bugs and fuckups that I noticed in the early Beta. I was so pissed, cos I wanted to help them, but no they was more busy hyping their game and ignoring any form of truth or sence of realistic objective view.

So yes, who would play this game? Have Funcom started to produce patch fixes that are smart and not of the nerf bat type? I remember bad fixes that made people leave the game, and I really hope that every single developer that was working at AoC at launce are now replaced.

I am not going to ever play AoC again, but I am curious to know how the Funcom staff are doing? I also think it was a good move to make this game "Free 2 Play" (with quotes, cos its not free 2 play if u dont wanna feel nerfed)

i dont see the point of your post, but for info I also tried it when it first came out and it was crap.  I started again a month or so again, and it is stable, and now that pc's have caught up it looks fine and there is a couple years of content to be played with.  Is that the answer you wanted?

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• fieldingfielding Member Posts: 15

Originally posted by Bladestrom

i dont see the point of your post, but for info I also tried it when it first came out and it was crap.  I started again a month or so again, and it is stable, and now that pc's have caught up it looks fine and there is a couple years of content to be played with.  Is that the answer you wanted?

I want more info like what you are providing me. You are very short, cos you dont give me a lot of ideas on how this game improved, what exactly improved etc. I am happy for you that you enjoy the game! 

While all opinions on this forum is subjective, I need a lot of information to be able to know if it is just a feeling or if its hard cold facts.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

Its only an opinion, you need to try out the now free to play game and form your own opinion.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• Lt.DeadendLt.Deadend Member Posts: 325

Its a freeking massiave download,. 30+ gigs

Runs good, installs fine,. UI kinda sucks,.

movement and animations make for learning how to exploit movment, ( mastering unintended game mechanics) -1 from me

Targeting is ,.umm not horrible,. but its bad,. you are going to need to key bind more then just tab to work around the poor targeting system as a ranged toon.

The Grind to 80, is fun.. I dont raid or pve gear grind so I dunno,. but there is tons of quests and lots of zones to explore..

The mini games,. (pvp) dont pop all the time like wow or guild wars,. this game could not replace that pvp only pick up an play attitude..unless you find it fun to stalk,roam, and gank,. =p

I did play my toon on the new blood an glory server,. and it was alot of fun,. defintily worth playing a toon to 80 there if you like leveling in a FFA playing field,.

is the new blood an glory server hardcore?  No, 

but low levels can kill high levels,. a few 50's can kill an gank one 80. There is alot of spots a said ganker/s could have fun at the exspense of others.. there is also lots of random 1 vs 1 pvp encounters that start fair in your journys to 80..

There was allso a avid twink 39 base of players there,. and its in world pvp is still viable to keep you busy well you wait for mini games,. /cough...ganking/roaming or deuling..

There is some huff about PAY TO WIN,. but not true,. you can pay for modest gear,.I might argue this from some angles. and say there is possibilitys for nitch stat stacking the shop dont offer.

so yea,. people are playing and the player base seems healthy,. pvp is much better then your average MMO,. and it also looks like there is alot post 80 gear grinders LF raid or raid freinds,.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Well, it looks to me like your mind is pretty much set against AoC/FC no matter what other people will say and I am in doubt if you're willing to hear anything that doesn't reaffirm the negative view you have of FC/AoC, but here it goes.

I'm going to assume that you were pretty quickly gone after launch.

I think like the game was after a year or so after launch is how it should have launched. Be it money issues and no budget anymore or the pressure of investors that instigated the rush or not, the fact remains that the game was launched too early, when it wasn't ready yet.

As good as all of those bugs and instability is gone now, well for 95+ % of all possible PC configurations and setups at least.

AoC will always remain a resource hog because of its graphics and such, but it runs a lot smoother than in those first months.

Enough content has been added to cover any leveling content gaps that were there in the beginning.

DX10 visual effects have been ingame for 1-2 years now, and the game overall runs better.

I think they had a lot of new devs and designers added a year or so ago when they moved an office to Canada. As for the fixes, it's hard to say, in any MMO I've been in there has been complaints about this or that when a new patch arrived, my overall impression is that the past few years they've been pretty alright in implementing the patches with a lot of it in solid working condition, but it misses the QA and polish that a big company with enough of dough like Blizzard can throw at it, AoC's team is far smaller, and they're sometimes slow in response time.

I think if they had moderated their vision talk - or maybe it was Gaute's vision talk - pre launch and given it an added 0.5-1 year development time, then the situation would have been completely different for AoC right from the start.

Personally I find AoC's melee combat system one of the best around in MMO's: if they had had 1 more year dev time to develop and adjust it to the way they envisioned, it would have been extraordinary.

I still think that if the flexibility and freedom of comboing of the revamped ranger would have been added to all the classes in their combat, then it would have been astonishing. However, I can also see how it's difficult to implement such rigorous changes after launch, when people have grown used to how a class operates in combat.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• LizardEgyptLizardEgypt Member UncommonPosts: 333

I played AoC while it was still P2P just before the release of ROTG. It was a satisfying experience, the dungeons were fun. The game ran awesome and looked great, the lore was what I expected from a Conan franchised product. The only downside for me was that my server had relatively low pop at the time (Tyranny PVP) and that the leveling playfields were kind of slim in choice. Then the expansion came and added more areas to level, that was basically what I had wanted. No level cap raise, just more content.

Funcom saved the game for me, all my friends bailed after beta but we all picked it up again and enjoyed it. As a F2P it's very high quality, most players still shouldn't mind paying premium for it in the end, whether or not that means I'll continue to play as it goes F2P depends on where they take it from here or how my scheduel permits. I'm currently not playing anything at the moment but AoC is one of the few viable options.

Currently playing - FF14ARR
    Previous games - SWG, World of Warcraft, ShadowBane, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Darkfall, Planetside Asheron's Call, Everquest, Everquest 2, Too many.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

I'm "seriously" playing this game.

There you go OP, now you have your answer.

• zxcvbnm1234zxcvbnm1234 Member Posts: 92

That pvp server with blood and glory ruleset is amazing.

• SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188

Rank 4 with Scarlet Circle and Scholars of Cheng-Ho

Rank 3 Wolves of the Steppes (hopefully by the end of the day)

Rank 2 with the rest.

Oh yeah seriously playing this game. Six-man dungeons in Khitai are the best. AA's will make you a powerful, powerful beast.

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Yes playing "seriously" but mainly enjoying myself with the game since my return at Unchained release.

Also had a very different experiance then I mostly read others had at release. Only left after 3 monts cause I needed something sci-fi and other game genre's caught my attention at the time.

For me personaly it's allot better then most other themepark games, it runs as smooth as WoW does for me (had abit of a lag issue in AoC a while back but since it was on my end and fixed now it aint a issue no more) It just looks 100 times better then WoW does FOR ME!! Only thing that did WoW good to rise to the top is that people didn't need to upgrade or have gaming systems to play the game. Where with Age of Conan you definitly need a good configured gaming system to enjoy it fully.

I really like the combat in AoC, it's something already in beta that I needed to get use to and addept as it aint the simply WoW click and spam. Unless you take one of the magic roots which I also did but that doesn't give the right feel for a game like Age of Conan, even though I enjoy my lvl 70 demo, but enjoy my lvl 33 barbarian even more due to the difference compared to other games in this genre.

Also sorry that even though I played many MANY MMORPG's, I have never encountered a MMORPG that didn't have bugs or might have nerfed somethings ingame that some might like and some didn't like.

Wat is really funny if people would actually take the time to read forums on what ever released MMORPG out there, you can see almost always the same or similar complaints, but people tend to pretend mostly that things are exclusive to game X in terms of bugs or other issue's.

Overall I don't get it why people are intrested in games the do not tend to play. So wierd this new generation of people trying to be gamers. image

• RazeronRazeron Member Posts: 180

Funcom aren't the brightest bunch.

See:

Shadowlands.

AO baby, I still love you...

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

Originally posted by Reklaw

Yes playing "seriously" but mainly enjoying myself with the game since my return at Unchained release.

Also had a very different experiance then I mostly read others had at release. Only left after 3 monts cause I needed something sci-fi and other game genre's caught my attention at the time.

For me personaly it's allot better then most other themepark games, it runs as smooth as WoW does for me (had abit of a lag issue in AoC a while back but since it was on my end and fixed now it aint a issue no more) It just looks 100 times better then WoW does FOR ME!! Only thing that did WoW good to rise to the top is that people didn't need to upgrade or have gaming systems to play the game. Where with Age of Conan you definitly need a good configured gaming system to enjoy it fully.

I really like the combat in AoC, it's something already in beta that I needed to get use to and addept as it aint the simply WoW click and spam. Unless you take one of the magic roots which I also did but that doesn't give the right feel for a game like Age of Conan, even though I enjoy my lvl 70 demo, but enjoy my lvl 33 barbarian even more due to the difference compared to other games in this genre.

Also sorry that even though I played many MANY MMORPG's, I have never encountered a MMORPG that didn't have bugs or might have nerfed somethings ingame that some might like and some didn't like.

Wat is really funny if people would actually take the time to read forums on what ever released MMORPG out there, you can see almost always the same or similar complaints, but people tend to pretend mostly that things are exclusive to game X in terms of bugs or other issue's.

Overall I don't get it why people are intrested in games the do not tend to play. So wierd this new generation of people trying to be gamers. image

QFT! I never have understood why people waste their time talking about a "game" that they never plan to play. Some peeps just must not have much of a life I guess. 

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

I'm not sure what happened exactly, but somewhere in the early 30's I just stopped wanting to AOC.  Two weeks later I still had no interest in returning to the game and downloaded Forsaken world. I ended up making a Dwarf marksmen and have had a lot more fun.  It''s definitely a WoW clone that has apparently stolen some sound assets and possibly some art as well.  But it's much more fun than it should be.