Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQ2X and EQ2 are the same client?

itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

been thinking of playing the game last night and downloaded the game client. Now mind you i was on the EQ2X website and told it last night and today to download the EQ2X client but it seems that has become the same client servers as the regular game? or is that a failure on their part by putting the wrong link on their free to play website? When i log into the game that was supposed to be EQ2X it tells me i have 14 day trial. I have looked all over the place and there is no other link for the X client that i can find on SOE's website. 

Anyone have any ideas as to why it downloads the wrong client? I definitely am not paying a monthly fee right now.

thanks

edit: Well after manually manipulating the link to download X instead of 2 I managed to do the right download. What i don't understand is 1: why doesn't their F2P model match Lotros. ie the client is the client is the client and 2: why don't they have the correct link to the correct client on their website? what gives sony?!

Comments

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862

Tell me about it! EQ2 has a major footprint on a smaller drive (like a laptop) and EQ2X is basically duplication. Originally, EQ2X was exclusively a separate streaming client, but now both games have both types of client. The official excuse for keeping the installations separate seems to be that they might possibly, at some indeterminate future date, maybe make the games actually different.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

yea i dont get it either, i mean the big thing about lotro is you can still actually play with your friends even in a limited sense you would think that the people at SOE's marketing would have thought of that as a selling point. I get putting restrictions on the F2P model but having a single server for X and 8-9 for 2 and keeping them separate is just stupid. On top of that they have a messed up website that says you are on the X page but the download link links to the 2 client. its all too weird....

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Originally posted by itgrowls

I get putting restrictions on the F2P model but having a single server for X and 8-9 for 2 and keeping them separate is just stupid. On top of that they have a messed up website that says you are on the X page but the download link links to the 2 client. its all too weird....

its deeper than that

the f2p model also allows buying items on marketplace like rare harvest items and mastercrafted gear

-- that Live wants no part of  PERIOD

thats why there will never be any "cross server" grouping between Live servers and Freeport server

for either the pvp battlegrounds or the forthcoming dungeon finder due this month

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

why can't they addopt the F2P model DDO has they have items that are fairly powerful but in no way dwarf the items in game, they help if you are undergeared but they don't allow you to dominate the game instantly by spending some $$?

the SC bought gear is no better than mastercrafted  (player made)

the bigger issue is that players can buy rare harvests for ez mode crafting spells/gear

and wands are available that can 1 shot   non nameds

the list at DDO store -- many of the things, EQ2LIve players would not want too

http://ddowiki.com/page/DDO_Store#Crafting

similar issues exist -- you can buy crafting components w RL cash

there's still an outstanding issue the EQ2Live has no trial except for "refer a friend"

but the trial will be returning to EQ2Live in the near future

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Originally posted by Nadia

there's still an outstanding issue the EQ2Live has no trial except for "refer a friend"

but the trial will be returning to EQ2Live in the near future

Isn't EQ2X enough of a free trial?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Isn't EQ2X enough of a free trial?

I would say no for 3 reasons

if you like the game and want to play on Live Servers

- you have to download another game client

- you have to reroll a new character

finally, some players do not like the restrictions of the free to play server

and want to play on Live servers where you have trial access to -all classes-

the Live Server trial returned for availability last week

http://everquest2.com/free_trial