Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: release April 2012!

2»

Comments

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

Good info to know, yay.

• ChilliesauceChilliesauce Member Posts: 559

Originally posted by tank017

Originally posted by Ezhae

Wow,that was alot sooner than I thought,which definitely throws up a red flag..

I'll prolly wait till after release and a few reviews before shelling out for this game.

Sooner? The game is in developement for quite some time now. It was revealed in 2007, but the work started even earlier.  One would guess that 6-7 years is enough to put a MMO together, especially considering the company does have some experience in the matter (all AoC and AO issues aside, please show me a MMO that had no issues during first year)

AO and AoC both had issues worthy of account cancellations and regret of ever buying the game..

Funcom could have 12 years to develop their game and I'd still be wary of their product.

Then why are you complaining about game releasing too early even though it has been under development for 5 years? by your own admission even 12 years development is not enough for you to trust in Funcom.  Who is being unrealistic here?

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849

Finally some concrete info! o.O

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by Chilliesauce

I'll prolly wait till after release and a few reviews before shelling out for this game.

Sooner? The game is in developement for quite some time now. It was revealed in 2007, but the work started even earlier.  One would guess that 6-7 years is enough to put a MMO together, especially considering the company does have some experience in the matter (all AoC and AO issues aside, please show me a MMO that had no issues during first year)

AO and AoC both had issues worthy of account cancellations and regret of ever buying the game..

Funcom could have 12 years to develop their game and I'd still be wary of their product.

Then why are you complaining about game releasing too early even though it has been under development for 5 years? by your own admission even 12 years development is not enough for you to trust in Funcom.  Who is being unrealistic here?

I think I'm being perfectly realistic.Seeing how their last 2 MMO's took years to produce and they still weren't finished upon release.
  • BlahTeebBlahTeeb Member UncommonPosts: 624

Originally posted by Chilliesauce

I think I'm being perfectly realistic.Seeing how their last 2 MMO's took years to produce and they still weren't finished upon release.

Though this does cross my mind, I've been pretty interested in what I've seen. I'm holding off full judgment and just basing opinions off gameplay footage for now. I don't want to miss  a good game just because the creators made a few games in the past.

• FratmanFratman Member Posts: 344

The game is not coming out in April. They're just announcing a release date to generate hype.

As we get closer to April the release date will be pushed back, talk of open beta will start and the hype will start all over again. This is pretty much what happens with every new mmo in development.

• strangerdangstrangerdang Member Posts: 233

One thing i would like to point out, that i think everyone over looks, is the game engin.

Funcoms last two launches included new game engins. AO was built from the ground up, and granted in 2001 the whole concept of launching a game like that was all very new.  AOC had a new game engin as well, one that boasted never before seen graphics, with a whole host of  things that could and did go wrong.  I think a large part of AOC's origional state of being no game from 40-80 had a lot to do with resources fixing the game engin.

With TSW, they again are using a new game engin, however this time around that game engin wasnt premiring with the launch of the new game.  They have already merged the new engin into AoC.

My hope is that with this live fire testing of the TSW game engin within an already live game would reduce the amount of resources devoted at or after launch regarding fleshing out game engin related issues.

I would still expect with TSW that a whole host of people are going to go over the game with a microscope looking for " AH HA! told you so" issues, whereas a game like rift, which did have issues, but were mainly ignored or glossed over by people who didnt care.  So i do expect a firestorm when this game launches, no matter the state its in.  Mind you funcom has its own army of anti-funcom trolls waiting to pick apart whatever they do.

I like to look at the company as one who made AO, which was epic despite its launch, and AoC which to this day has been my favorite form of combat.

• hayes303hayes303 Member UncommonPosts: 430

Originally posted by strangerdang

One thing i would like to point out, that i think everyone over looks, is the game engin.

Funcoms last two launches included new game engins. AO was built from the ground up, and granted in 2001 the whole concept of launching a game like that was all very new.  AOC had a new game engin as well, one that boasted never before seen graphics, with a whole host of  things that could and did go wrong.  I think a large part of AOC's origional state of being no game from 40-80 had a lot to do with resources fixing the game engin.

With TSW, they again are using a new game engin, however this time around that game engin wasnt premiring with the launch of the new game.  They have already merged the new engin into AoC.

My hope is that with this live fire testing of the TSW game engin within an already live game would reduce the amount of resources devoted at or after launch regarding fleshing out game engin related issues.

I would still expect with TSW that a whole host of people are going to go over the game with a microscope looking for " AH HA! told you so" issues, whereas a game like rift, which did have issues, but were mainly ignored or glossed over by people who didnt care.  So i do expect a firestorm when this game launches, no matter the state its in.  Mind you funcom has its own army of anti-funcom trolls waiting to pick apart whatever they do.

I like to look at the company as one who made AO, which was epic despite its launch, and AoC which to this day has been my favorite form of combat.

I would say TSW is relatively safe in these forums. Usually its the themepark games that get the endless savaging here. Sandbox/open world pvp ones generally have to prove they are completely screwed before they get the same hatchet job.

i am glad this is coming out in 2012, because I am going to be broke from trying out all the new gmaes coming out up until x-mas 11 and I badly want to check this one out. 

If all goes according to Funcom's schedule, I can play ME3 for a month and be ready for this:)

• fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683

Originally posted by strangerdang

Most issues in AOC where simple gameplay bugs that needed somebody to fix them.   They became engine related when it became more convienant to blame the game engine rather than fix the bugs.  Funcom never focussed on bug fixing and they never focussed on performance.  So ironically over time the problems then became more game engine related. As the engine itself, due to a lack of updates, got out of step with the current technology. 

Basically Funcom suck at bug fixing, it's their major weakness.  They are a creative lot, but they can't for the life of them fix bugs.  So they play a cool hand game. If they can't get away with blaming the bug on the hardware, the network or the operating system.  Their last resort is to blame their own game engine and promise a possible fix in the next update of said engine. If they ever actually acknowledge the bug exists in the first place.

I have no faith in their game engine at all it has always been resource hungry with memory leaks up the kazoo. I imagine the reason they dropped out of the Xbox 360 market with TSW is because they can't get the engine to work within the limitations of that box. I have no idea why people rave about the Dreamworld engine, stuff looks dated to me now. It was good at the time AOC was released but have they really kept abreast of the current technologies? Are they cutting edge?  In a way they have had to update it because technology has updated, their arm was twisted. From what I have seen of TSW so far I don't see any next gen graphics or anything to fawn over at the moment.  Now Frostbite 2 on the other hand .....  very nice.