Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PS2 only starting with one continent?

tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

http://i.massively.joystiq.com/2011/08/15/planetside-2-may-feature-space-based-gameplay/

"PlanetSide 2 will reverse this process, beginning with a single continent, "then add[ing] more continents and eventually, planets," Smedley said. Plans for space-based gameplay are also on the table."

Really? Just one continent to start off with?

Comments

• RockstarzRockstarz Member Posts: 2

I think it's a good thing. Smaller space means more intense action. Having lots of room to spread out in PS1 led to lots of assaults on empty territory.

• bambookbambook Member UncommonPosts: 180

Originally posted by Rockstarz

I think it's a good thing. Smaller space means more intense action. Having lots of room to spread out in PS1 led to lots of assaults on empty territory.

This is true. It didn't ruin the gameplay, becuase there was still plenty of action, the cool thing about many planets is that pretty much every player can creat a squad and start on a planet where there is no fighting at all and basicaly start a hot zone himself. However having 1 planet at launch will still be a big freeking planet. 

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

I think doing the same continent over and over and over again will probably get old sooner rather than later.I loved having the different planets and terrain to choose from in PS1

I never saw the people going off on their own to capture vacant continents as a problem becuase I usually just ignored them and went to where the main battles were..

IMO,to start off with one map is a bit shallow,hopefully they open others up rather quickly,becuase if it takes them a month or more? I dont think it'll be pretty.

• StellusStellus Member UncommonPosts: 263

It's definitely a bad idea. There won't be a population that will expand with the number of continents.

• tkoreapertkoreaper Member UncommonPosts: 412

If what is said is true, I seriously think that you guys are overreacting a bit. Continents in PS1 were pretty big... more than enough for epic 3-way battles. I am sure that the continents will be much bigger in PS2 and if not... then I'm sure they'll plan out the release of more continents/planets in such a way to add story and more depth to the game. I honestly do not think we'd be fighting over the same continent for over a month.

• BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812

i approve of this approach, in addition they said they will expand on it,  more continents, then more planets and then space battles.

and PS 1 conts are  pretty big, but this time around it could probably be extra the size.

yes the real magic would be to having all this expansion while retaining their goal of getting rid of instances in this game.

if they can manage that, as well as implement the new conts>planets> space battles by the time Dust 514 rolls around let alone launch, they will have a upper hand on ccp's shooter.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Smedley should promise one new continent a month to justify the sub fee. He should say that they (SOE) "feel obligated to provide customers with regular updates"...then, like 2 months later, he can say "Gosh...because of how massive our updates are, it might take longer than a month" and like 6 months later, they can release the 1st new 'zone', but they can charge $10 or more by calling it DLC.

If you're ok with this, good luck to you guys. But this is, once again, SOE releasing a VERY incomplete product, charging premium price for it, double dipping on the cash shop and I can almost promise you that every new zone will be called "DLC".

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Reverse this process?

Promising future content as a reason why the game will only have 1 game area before the game releases isn't a very good sign.  

Pre-release promises are meaningless as far as I'm concerned.  Trying to make this sound like it is some sort of conscious design decision feels more like slight of hand than anything else.

I can't think of a reason why someone would create a PvP game and intentionally only release it with one zone if they could release it with more. 

• BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812

Originally posted by Daffid011

Reverse this process?

Promising future content as a reason why the game will only have 1 game area before the game releases isn't a very good sign.  

Pre-release promises are meaningless as far as I'm concerned.  Trying to make this sound like it is some sort of conscious design decision feels more like slight of hand than anything else.

I can't think of a reason why someone would create a PvP game and intentionally only release it with one zone if they could release it with more. 

i can understand the concern,  but whats to say that the supposed one continent could be a rather large size? 

all speculation til we get some actual meat and potatoes from them.

ill share the same concern if they release the 1 mass of land no more than the size of one of a battle islands. 

in my own stance, im actually holding SOE accountable on their view of getting rid of instances, no having BFRS in the game, having their MT cash shop being cosemtic only and space combat later down the games life span. 

like you said promising anything these days of future content is indeed meaningless. 

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

True it could be a massive land area.  No way to know for sure, but the way Smedley talks about reversing the process and trying to invoke Eves buildup in comparison the planetside stinks of double talk and trying to downplay something that is lacking.

The original game took place on 10 continents if I recall.  If the first continent is really that big, then adding more continents might just make the game world to large or spread players to thin. 

• AluviusAluvius Member Posts: 288

The other thing to keep in mind is that they are hand designing the entire continent this time.  No cookie cutter bases.  It'll play alot different than the original PS1 maps.  Just remember learning the first base types when you first played PS1, now times 100 heh :)

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810

Just so long as they are not going the route of making maps smaller and adding bottle necks to force people to fights they may want to avoid or tactially flank.  Many mmo's with world pvp are going this route now days, and by and large the all fail due to it.  Ex Warhammer, Aion (new expac).  For some unknown reason game Dev's have got it into their heads that they need to force confrontation instead of just letting it occur naturally. (ala DAOC)

• AluviusAluvius Member Posts: 288

Originally posted by ragz45

Just so long as they are not going the route of making maps smaller and adding bottle necks to force people to fights they may want to avoid or tactially flank.  Many mmo's with world pvp are going this route now days, and by and large the all fail due to it.  Ex Warhammer, Aion (new expac).  For some unknown reason game Dev's have got it into their heads that they need to force confrontation instead of just letting it occur naturally. (ala DAOC)

There are no "maps", its all one big continent and eventually continents plural.  Nothing is instanced, there are no battlegrounds.  Watch the gameplaly footage, the majority of the map is wide open outdoors.  Of course once you get into a base there are bottlenecks or as architects call them, hallways and doors.  :)