Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 vs Star Wars: The Old Republic

ValuaValua Member Posts: 520

The title may be a little misleading...

I'm just wondering why are these two games suddenly "competing?" They are two of the farthest things apart from each other, the only real similarity is that they are both MMO's, which leads to my next question, why does every single MMO that is released have to fight off another MMO? Either two new releases are apparently fighting it out to the death for subscribers, or a new release MUST beat World of Warcraft in order to become a success, or win in other words.

It seems that Star Wars "fanboys" are heading over to the Guild Wars forums to bad mouth the game, and the Guild Wars "fanboys" are doing the same on the Star Wars forums. It's pretty ridiculous. 

I've been following both Guild Wars 2 and Star Wars and they should not be competing for a silly amount of reasons, the first that come to my mind would be;

Guild Wars is free to play, Star Wars isn't. People will buy Guild Wars and still probably have a subscription based MMO on the side, so in this respect Guild Wars doesn't affect Star Wars. And because Guild Wars is free to play after buying many people will buy it for this reason alone, so Star Wars doesn't affect it.

Star Wars is a Sci/Fi game with a little fantasy, Guild Wars is a Fantasy game with a little steampunk, could they be any different in this respect?

Guild Wars has dynamic quests, Star Wars has fully voiced over quests, both sound absolutely amazing, can't decide which is better. Yet, these two are not the same in any respect whatsoever.

Both have very cool graphics, but very, very different to eachother. Guild Wars are very realistic, Star Wars are cartoon/artsy as I would say. Love them both, for different reasons.

Guild Wars 2 has no healer or tanks, Star Wars does. Because of this, and obviously the different classes/spells/animations etc, both games will play very, very differently. 

So, instead of me listing another 1000 reasons, I'll just state my opinion, they both look like great games, it doesn't seem to me that either will directly affect eachothers player bases (as stated above.) and they are far too different to be compared as often as they are on this website.

P.S 

If any game should be getting the attention that Star Wars and Guild Wars 2 is getting it is The Secret World or Arche Age, in my opinion anyway. :P

Comments

• Shatter30Shatter30 Member UncommonPosts: 487

Because they will likely launch close in time

• MenzoviMenzovi Member Posts: 12

Because they're the 2 games that have been hyped so much lately. And the fact that they're both almost ready might have something to do with it as well.

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

heh, I remember when WotLK and GW2 were competing because some people thought they would come out at the same time...and the same with Cata.  Honestly, I think the only real reason people think SWTOR and GW2 are going to be in contention is because SWTOR looks like it will be a big deal.  In the end, people just want competition and comparison...I would almost call it human instinct.

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520

Originally posted by Shatter30

Actually Star Wars is planned for a december release this year, Guild Wars 2 is "sometime in 2012" my guess being somewhere between march-june.

And even if they are both released at the same time they shouldn't be forced to fight eachother, like people here make out. They can, and probably will, share the same player base.

The only similarity between Star Wars and Guild Wars is that they are MMOs. It would be like Mass Effect 3 releasing at the same time as ElderScrolls: Skyrim, they would both still sell amazingly, because they are different, even though both are RPG's. Yet, those two games would not be "fighting each other" would they?

For some reason, MMO's have to compete with other MMO's, it really confuses me, as this is not the case with other gaming genres.

• NekkuroNekkuro Member Posts: 162

Because they're both similar in terms of MMORPG's finally straying away from the copy-pasted, generic WoW MMO's of the past and finally doing it right.

It all comes down to who will do it right better.

Good luck to both. May the best MMO win :]

(However, I'm rooting for Guild Wars 2)

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Considering how many bad MMOs we have nowadays I never understood people's mentality of having one of these games triumph the other, why can't both of them be successful?

Originally posted by Gabby-air

Considering how many bad MMOs we have nowadays I never understood people's mentality of having one of these games triumph the other, why can't both of them be successful?

Because at the end of the day, it doesn't matter.

It's human nature to compare things that are similar and different.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

Originally posted by Nekkuro

Because they're both similar in terms of MMORPG's finally straying away from the copy-pasted, generic WoW MMO's of the past

You forgot the sarcasm tag!

Originally posted by CalmOceans

Because they're both similar in terms of MMORPG's finally straying away from the copy-pasted, generic WoW MMO's of the past

Get out.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

Get out.

Out of what.

Get out.

Out of what.

I'm guessing it was your turn to forget the sarcasm tag?

and before I forget "/sarcasm"

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Out of what.

Get out more. Go partying and have some fun image

Or maybe he meant something else image

@OP, why the pitching against eachother:

1. because it's human nature, they like to put 'their' choices to be on top and be the best, even if that means bashing other games/sport clubs/etc that compete for that same spot. People feel better about their choice if it is doing well, whether that choice is a game, a sports club, a pop group or idol etc.

2. people are bored, pitching matches are fun, just as the heated discussions that follow upon it

3. games especially MMO's do compete with eachother for a player's time, there's only so many spare hours that someone can play in a week

For the rest, I agree with you that since GW2 is B2P, it can be easily combined with maintaining another P2P MMO next to it, without having to ask yourself constantly the question whether you should maintain 2 subs the upcoming month or, if 1 subbed MMO is the limit, what MMO you should pick for the next month to sub and play.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• KizzattaKizzatta Member Posts: 59

Kids and pretentious adults will always troll what they don't like, it's human nature for these types of vermin to take out their aggression on sometihng to make themselves feel better. How else are they going to feel like they've accomplished something in life?

I for one can't wait for both games! Like the thread started said, I could play both games If I wanted and only have to pay one subscription fee :D (if I had that much time hehe)

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495

Originally posted by Valua

Guild Wars 2 has no healer or tanks, Star Wars does. Because of this, and obviously the different classes/spells/animations etc, both games will play very, very differently. 

I usually play a healer or a tank.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

There can be only one!

• zonzaizonzai Member Posts: 358

Originally posted by Kizzatta

Kids and pretentious adults will always troll what they don't like, it's human nature for these types of vermin to take out their aggression on sometihng to make themselves feel better. How else are they going to feel like they've accomplished something in life?

I for one can't wait for both games! Like the thread started said, I could play both games If I wanted and only have to pay one subscription fee :D (if I had that much time hehe)

Good post.  I'm with you. I hate it when people argue about which MMO is better than another.  Who cares what a bunch of forum nerds think?  Unless they are demanding something that I don't want to see added to a game or something, I don't even vcare what they say.

And I really hope that both games do well.  I expect that I will enjoy GW2 more but I expect that I will enjoy TOR too.  ANd it's okay, one does not need to be a failure for the other to succeed.

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692

Actually Star Wars is planned for a december release this year, Guild Wars 2 is "sometime in 2012" my guess being somewhere between march-june.

And even if they are both released at the same time they shouldn't be forced to fight eachother, like people here make out. They can, and probably will, share the same player base.

The only similarity between Star Wars and Guild Wars is that they are MMOs. It would be like Mass Effect 3 releasing at the same time as ElderScrolls: Skyrim, they would both still sell amazingly, because they are different, even though both are RPG's. Yet, those two games would not be "fighting each other" would they?

For some reason, MMO's have to compete with other MMO's, it really confuses me, as this is not the case with other gaming genres.

December? Really?  No date has been given.  In fact Bioware/EA are still only saying Fall 2011 or sometime during the Holiday season, which could mean December, but I seriously doubt it.

As to everything else you said, I agree.  These two games need not fight because I'm sure a lot of people will be playing both since only one of them will have a monthly sub.

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Originally posted by Latronus

December? Really?  No date has been given.  In fact Bioware/EA are still only saying Fall 2011 or sometime during the Holiday season, which could mean December, but I seriously doubt it.

As to everything else you said, I agree.  These two games need not fight because I'm sure a lot of people will be playing both since only one of them will have a monthly sub.

The only thing we know concretely is that there will be big beta tests in September.

I'm personally thinking there will be an October/November release date, but that is pure speculation on my part.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by DJJazzy

There can be only one!

Well, in true highlander fashion,  if I were to pick the winner in a "head to head" sword battle,  I'd have to go with the lightsaber than any sword in Guild Wars.

Just sayin'.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Originally posted by maskedweasel

Originally posted by DJJazzy

There can be only one!

Well, in true highlander fashion,  if I were to pick the winner in a "head to head" sword battle,  I'd have to go with the lightsaber than any sword in Guild Wars.

Just sayin'.

Hehe. I suppose so. But the point is that people, for some reason or another, think that there can only be one game, nothing else matters. This isn't a sports competition.

• cloud8521cloud8521 Member Posts: 878

its not a fair comparision they are entirely diffrent besides both having full voicovers.

but i will say i am a HUGE starwars fan, i played KOTR nd KOTR2 but i will not be playing TOR simply besause itt does not seem up to snuff, and i know is not worth a mothly fee to play. if this was KOTR3 i would have been all over it, but i just dont hink it works as a MMO

i will be getting GW2 because it seems better all around for a better price.

If there was not monthrly fee for TOR i might have looked at it in its current form, but how it is right now i just dont feel it is with the price.

• ForumfallForumfall Member Posts: 570

If you take a look at the sorry excuse of "games in development" list you will notice that these two games are pretty much the only relevant big budget games. I don't see those other titles ever beeing relevant...

Swtor has one of the strongest franchises and guildwars 2 is based on a game that has proven it's success so they compete with eachother. And because mmo gamers are bored.

• NormikeNormike Member Posts: 436

The title may be a little misleading...

I'm just wondering why are these two games suddenly "competing?" They are two of the farthest things apart from each other, the only real similarity is that they are both MMO's, which leads to my next question, why does every single MMO that is released have to fight off another MMO? Either two new releases are apparently fighting it out to the death for subscribers, or a new release MUST beat World of Warcraft in order to become a success, or win in other words.

It seems that Star Wars "fanboys" are heading over to the Guild Wars forums to bad mouth the game, and the Guild Wars "fanboys" are doing the same on the Star Wars forums. It's pretty ridiculous. 

Yes it is.

I've been following both Guild Wars 2 and Star Wars and they should not be competing for a silly amount of reasons, the first that come to my mind would be;

Guild Wars is free to play, Star Wars isn't. People will buy Guild Wars and still probably have a subscription based MMO on the side, so in this respect Guild Wars doesn't affect Star Wars. And because Guild Wars is free to play after buying many people will buy it for this reason alone, so Star Wars doesn't affect it.

Not sure about that. Many people will buy SWtOR because it's Bioware and becuse it's Star Wars. First month subscription comes with the game. Does Guild Wars having no subscription cancel all that out in terms of numbers? Again not sure about that.

Star Wars is a Sci/Fi game with a little fantasy, Guild Wars is a Fantasy game with a little steampunk, could they be any different in this respect?

Right.

Guild Wars has dynamic quests, Star Wars has fully voiced over quests, both sound absolutely amazing, can't decide which is better. Yet, these two are not the same in any respect whatsoever.

SWtORs quests are not just fully voiced, they are fully acted out in the game world with facial animation and body language animation. In addition the interactive quest cinematics are multiplayer, involving multiple players. The majority of GW2 is voiced, but it's not fully voiced, nor have we seen facial animations, nor NPCs acting out scenes in the actual player environment. But they do have dynamic quests which does get me excited about the game.

Both have very cool graphics, but very, very different to eachother. Guild Wars are very realistic, Star Wars are cartoon/artsy as I would say. Love them both, for different reasons.

True, the graphics of both games are beautiful. Although they have things that bug me for different reasons. SWtOR is using high polygons for character faces, armor, the environment, modern graphical effects. But their going with a textures that are a little cartoony. Partly to go easy on old computers and partly so the game doesn't dated a few years from now. I wish the textures were a little more realistic. Sometimes areas of the world feel like they need some serious high definition texturing, some bump mapping, some parallax mapping, etc.

GW2 is doing the same thing, except they're switching it around with polygons and textures. They use low polygons for character faces, armor,  a little more for the environment but they use high definition rich realistic textures. Again they want the game to run smoothly on lower end systems. Here I wish all the models were a lot higher polygon so I could get a more solid and substantial feel about them. Instead sometimes it looks like everything is made out of paper origami.

I've played tanks, melee dps, ranged dps, and healers. And not having a healer just feels odd. If you've played D&D or read a lot of fantasy novels and try to imagine those worlds without healers... it's just weird. It's kinda like Game of Thrones. Err but then even in Game of Thrones you've got Mirri Maz Duur who can heal with incantations, Beric Dondarrion who can ressurect, and maesters like Qyburn who can heal wounds and prevent death with special spells and chemicals. Having no healer in a fantasy setting would take some getting used to.

So, instead of me listing another 1000 reasons, I'll just state my opinion, they both look like great games, it doesn't seem to me that either will directly affect eachothers player bases (as stated above.) and they are far too different to be compared as often as they are on this website.

Right. I think most MMO players will be enjoying both.

P.S 

If any game should be getting the attention that Star Wars and Guild Wars 2 is getting it is The Secret World or Arche Age, in my opinion anyway. :P

The Secret World is awesome! Arch Age looks cool but the art style feels a little to anime for me. I like my fantasy medieval :D

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Guild Wars 2 is for the people who are wanting something different in the mmo genre while Star Wars is for people who are satisfied with all the WoW Clones we have been getting over the years. Which side are you on?

• Distopia2Distopia2 Member Posts: 574

Originally posted by Mannish

Guild Wars 2 is for the people who are wanting something different in the mmo genre while Star Wars is for people who are satisfied with all the WoW Clones we have been getting over the years. Which side are you on?

I'm on the side of those who don't think they can lump everyone into two small categories. I'll play both.

To SB fans, please stop making our demographic look bad.Stop invading threads that have nothing to do with sandboxes.

SW:TOR Graphics Evolution and Comparison

SW:TOR Compare MMO Quests, Combat and More...