Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 doesn't excite me.

Comments

• sidhaethesidhaethe Member Posts: 861

Originally posted by RobertDinh

Originally posted by sidhaethe

Originally posted by sk8chalif

How come at the last PAX when the game had 50 people on screen spamming spells in pve (not even pvp) the game started suffering insane lag?

Becayse they all casted a spell in same time,i think even in world of warcraft when there was  50 people on screen spamming its  was lagging too

and i hear somewhere that the dev will look into the spell animation and reduice it or make a way to lower it in ur graphic option,

so its wont cause any lag,

and if ur talk about the end of the demo where everyones were standing on a hill before its shut down (http://youtu.be/wkRdSy0KkUE) i think its pretty normal and there was more then 50 people here,

You can say it is "normal" but for a game that claims it will have epic large scale pvp, when they lag with 50 people in pve, you know that simply isn't going to be possible. 

Yeah, I mean it's totally obvious that two years before release, the amount of lag they may or may not have on a trans-atlantic internet connection is a completely accurate indication of the finished product.

No, wait. The other thing.

Sounds like a lot of excuses that aren't actually based in fact. Was windows updating as well?  Did they just happen to have a rogue network card that wasn't handling packets properly?  Was it all a secret test to see which fans would notice lag and which others would just happily preorder?

What I am saying (and I will put it in small words so that it is not enthusiastically misinterpreted) is that it is actually impossible to determine what may or may not happen at launch based on a moment that lasted under five seconds during an event that occured a year ago, on a computer running an ocean away from its server, for a game that does not even yet have a release date.

Unless you have information from the future, in which case - who's going to win the Republican primaries?

• megera23megera23 Member UncommonPosts: 239

And this proves another point, you didn't account for the fact that you are not all-knowing about gw2, you just blatantly assumed that X was because of Y, instead of realizing that X is because they don't actually deliver on the claims they made in their manifesto. 

Lmao, this is just absurd now. So give me a link. I don't remember ever saying that I was all-knowing. However, I have yet to see you find a link of any of the few things I asked you to point out. Come on. I'm waiting.

• RobertDinhRobertDinh Member Posts: 647

How come at the last PAX when the game had 50 people on screen spamming spells in pve (not even pvp) the game started suffering insane lag?

Becayse they all casted a spell in same time,i think even in world of warcraft when there was  50 people on screen spamming its  was lagging too

and i hear somewhere that the dev will look into the spell animation and reduice it or make a way to lower it in ur graphic option,

and if ur talk about the end of the demo where everyones were standing on a hill before its shut down (http://youtu.be/wkRdSy0KkUE) i think its pretty normal and there was more then 50 people here,

You can say it is "normal" but for a game that claims it will have epic large scale pvp, when they lag with 50 people in pve, you know that simply isn't going to be possible. 

Yeah, I mean it's totally obvious that two years before release, the amount of lag they may or may not have on a trans-atlantic internet connection is a completely accurate indication of the finished product.

Sounds like a lot of excuses that aren't actually based in fact. Was windows updating as well?  Did they just happen to have a rogue network card that wasn't handling packets properly?  Was it all a secret test to see which fans would notice lag and which others would just happily preorder?

What I am saying (and I will put it in small words so that it is not enthusiastically misinterpreted) is that it is actually impossible to determine what may or may not happen at launch based on a moment that lasted under five seconds during an event that occured a year ago, on a computer running an ocean away from its server, for a game that does not even yet have a release date.

Unless you have information from the future, in which case - who's going to win the Republican primaries?

Fact:  The lag persisted for minutes, and the game crashed out.

Fact: The game has proven it can epicly fail under heavy player load in small areas. 

Fact:  To assume it will be magically fixed before they have shown it to be fixed, is just that, an assumption, based on your biases, and not based on what has actually been shown.

Isn't it funny how the people who are overly biased towards gw2 demand facts, you give them facts, and then they turn to "we will see what the future holds", "it will all be fixed"

Originally posted by Eir_S

He's not just a troll, he's a troll from the future who has played the laggy PVP in the finished product.  Sorry for doubting you, Robert.  I'm now going to buy WoW: Space Adventures instead.

You know, I absolutely believe you. :D But it's loads of fun. Man, this game must come out already. I'm really getting bored to sit at 7 AM and chat on a forum like that.

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

Fact: The game has proven it can epicly fail under heavy player load in small areas. 

Fact:  To assume it will be magically fixed before they have shown it to be fixed, is just that, an assumption, based on your biases, and not based on what has actually been shown.

Isn't it funny how the people who are overly biased towards gw2 demand facts, you give them facts, and then they turn to "we will see what the future holds", "it will all be fixed"

Anet will try all possible means to reduce lag during WvW. They know WvW will not work if there is lag. They are more concerned about it then us. No one is going to buy a game that does not work

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

Originally posted by megera23

He's not just a troll, he's a troll from the future who has played the laggy PVP in the finished product.  Sorry for doubting you, Robert.  I'm now going to buy WoW: Space Adventures instead.

You know, I absolutely believe you. :D But it's loads of fun. Man, this game must come out already. I'm really getting bored to sit at 7 AM and chat on a forum like that.

Are you hot?

A) I did not, in fact, say it would be fixed (or that it would not). Quote me or desist.

B) There is nothing "magical" about something being fixed. Development of a project is development of a project. Either it will be fixed because somebody works on the technology, servers are placed in another location, etc. or it won't. You do know how project development works, don't you? It gets worked on until issues are resolved.

C) I noticed you shut up about exclamation points. Or did you think nobody would notice?

Anet will try all possible means to reduce lag during WvW. They know WvW will not work if there is lag. They are more concerned about it then us. No one is going to buy a game that does not work

How many people purchased wow?  How awful was wintergrasp lag under full load?  You may wish anet well, doesn't mean they've proven they can deliver though.

Are you hot?

What if I am?

A) I did not, in fact, say it would be fixed (or that it would not). Quote me or desist.

B) There is nothing "magical" about something being fixed. Development of a project is development of a project. Either it will be fixed because somebody works on the technology, servers are placed in another location, etc. or it won't. You do know how project development works, don't you? It gets worked on until issues are resolved.

C) I noticed you shut up about exclamation points. Or did you think nobody would notice?

Notice what?  I already stated the fact that there were exclamation points in the demo during dynamic events, and that there was an eventhelper that functioned like questhelpers do in WoW.  Those are FACTS, you claimed there weren't any, so you are simply incorrect, nothing more to say about that.

Are you hot?

What if I am?

Uh... hot girls always win the debate, duh.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Fact : "You can say it is "normal" but for a game that claims it will have epic large scale pvp, when they lag with 50 people in pve, you know that simply isn't going to be possible. " Knowing that GW2 isnt even near release, makes this quote just a wild assumption.

So like always, you are allowed to throw wild assumptions, while your opponents are not allowed the same thing and have to come up with some hard fact. I say opponent, because you only argue for the sake of argueing (why else say something like 'game, set, match' at the end of your post).

Originally posted by someforumguy

Fact : "You can say it is "normal" but for a game that claims it will have epic large scale pvp, when they lag with 50 people in pve, you know that simply isn't going to be possible. " Knowing that GW2 isnt even near release, makes this quote just a wild assumption.

So like always, you are allowed to throw wild assumptions, while your opponents are not allowed the same thing and have to come up with some hard fact. I say opponent, because you only argue for the sake of argueing (why else say something like 'game, set, match' at the end of your post).

My assumption is based off of fact, yours is not.

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Notice what?  I already stated the fact that there were exclamation points in the demo during dynamic events, and that there was an eventhelper that functioned like questhelpers do in WoW.  Those are FACTS, you claimed there weren't any, so you are simply incorrect, nothing more to say about that.

We have one person who played GW2 for 40 minutes saying there are exlamation marks in the game.

We have another person who played it for 3 hours saying there aren't exlamation marks in the game.

I'm finding it hard to take your word over her's. If there are exlamation marks and quest givers then show us a video of them. Otherwise, her word is more valid than yours do to her having more playtime.

• cali59cali59 Member Posts: 1,634

No what we saw were invisible triggers.  We didn't actually see torches being taken to buildings making it burn, we didn't see a bridge get hacked down, we saw scripts running where a mob passes a certain point and then the building magically burns or the bridge magically blows up into lego blocks.

Yes we've known events are cyclical, but that surely does not match up with the claims made in the manifesto, get the picture yet?

No the game is primarily focused on pve, that much is certain with the dynamic events, persistent world etc.  They've given very little to pvp, a giant instance called the mists and the typical arenas, as opposed to the rest of their world for pve.  And no ESL and djwheat commentating doesn't mean they are serious, it means they are advertising, ESL is based in germany, it is the biggest european esports league, so obviously it is the choice to broadcast their pvp. 

The first game wasn't an mmo.  Game set and match. 

You didn't respond to me on page 11, I'm so disappointed.

Like I said, the whole point is that events happen.  It's not just mobs standing in a field.  I mean really, it's not like there's an actual fire starting.  It's a representation of a fire.  Mobs came to the village, fires were set.  If the animation isn't there for the mob setting a fire, then it's a problem with the animation, not with the concept of a DE able to influence a world.  I'm sure we could find video of the doors of the garrison opening when the event starts.  Are you going to not play GW2 or say that ArenaNet is lying because there weren't NPCs opening those doors?

Dynamic events being cyclical does indeed match up with the claims made in the manfesto, maybe not what you think they're saying.  I assume you're talking about "you're meeting new people who you will then see again, you're rescuing a village that will stay rescued, who then remember you."  If you rescue the village and then proceed along the chain, the village is saved, at least for a time.  If players remained ever vigilant, the village would never be taken over again.  It will stay rescued until the centaurs mount an assault which is not met by players.  It mirrors real life.  If you clean up a bunch of graffiti or something, it doesn't mean you've permanently rid that wall of graffiti.  As long as someone is sitting out in front of it with a lawn chair, there won't be any more graffiti.  Leave for a while, maybe there will be when you come back.  As far as NPCs remembering you, that also happens.  If you've saved a village and you come back to that village when it's intact, NPCs will remember you contributed to saving it way before.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true – you know it, and they know it." -Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

I already stated the fact that there were exclamation points in the demo during dynamic events, and that there was an eventhelper that functioned like questhelpers do in WoW.  Those are FACTS, you claimed there weren't any, so you are simply incorrect, nothing more to say about that.

Now answer my points A) and B).

Originally posted by romanator0

We have one person who played GW2 for 40 minutes saying there are exlamation marks in the game.

We have another person who played it for 3 hours saying there aren't exlamation marks in the game.

I'm finding it hard to take your word over her's. If there are exlamation marks and quest givers then show us a video of them. Otherwise, her word is more valid than yours do to her having more playtime.

First off, I have not stated how much i've played the demo. 

Second off, i don't need to provide a video, it is your job not to be ignorant, not my job to enlighten you.  It is a FACT beyond all contestation that there were event helpers and exclamation marks.  You can argue against that, you would simply be wrong though, no matter what kinda faulty logic you tried to use.

Second off, i don't need to provide a video, it is your job not to be ignorant, not my job to enlighten you.  It is a FACT beyond all contestation that there were event helpers and exclamation marks.  You can argue against that, you would simply be wrong though, no matter what kinda faulty logic you tried to use.

You made the claim, now you back it up. I can wait all day if need be.

The less proof you have the less validity your claim has. Right now you have zero proof other than your word that you saw it in the game and we have zero proof that you actually played it.

I already stated the fact that there were exclamation points in the demo during dynamic events, and that there was an eventhelper that functioned like questhelpers do in WoW.  Those are FACTS, you claimed there weren't any, so you are simply incorrect, nothing more to say about that.

Now answer my points A) and B).

I'm talking about the exclamation marks in the persistent world, not the stars. 

Robert seems to be running out of ideas, guys. Maybe we should let him rest for a while and collect his thoughts. :)

Oh, and he just proved me right. That's the tutorial area which IS instanced.

Sorry, but fact is fact, whether you wish to enlighten yourself to it or not does not change that.  You can believe the earth is box shaped, and no one ever has to prove to you it isn't, but guess what, you would still be wrong.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507

Originally posted by Konyak

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

Originally posted by Konyak

Knowing the staff here, I'll probably get banned(again) for this, but I honestly don't care. People shouldn't just come to a certain part of the forums and then make a thread about their lack of excitement for a particular game. It's stupid. It's idiotic. It's like half trolling and half serious. It just clogs up forums. If he has no excitement for a game, then he should just keep it to himself and not go to a certain part of the forum where he knows he'll get angry reactions, then make a thread about why he has no excitment for it.

There's no good reason why this thread was made. It should be closed to be honest.

Hmm, while I agree with you about this on the principle of it, unfortunately this is happening quite frequently if not almost daily in game forums here, SWTOR, Rift, WoW, etc. In fact, you can even get paid for it by writing an editorial and opinion piece about how you're not excited and have whole hordes of people agreeing with you and saying 'good thread!' image

So I don't expect this thread to be closed as well, just like those other threads weren't.

Then the mmorpg.com staff needs to rethink how they're moderating these forums. This place should be here for critical thinking on MMOs, not here for numerous pointless threads about the lack of excitement for games.

You've totally missed the purpose of these forums, which is for PVP of course.

They succeed fabulously at this btw.

Critical thinking belongs in your college lecture hall, this is the WWE baby!

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Sorry, but fact is fact, whether you wish to enlighten yourself to it or not does not change that.  You can believe the earth is box shaped, and no one ever has to prove to you it isn't, but guess what, you would still be wrong.

I'm still waiting for your proof.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

Originally posted by FlawSGI

Originally posted by Herodes

*snip

*snip

*snip

I will correct your misinformation.... watch their manifesto, and tell me where it has been backed up at all. 

It's funy cause I just watched it again from someone elses comment regarding it. they have a vision that they would like to see come to fruit. They state it in the manifesto, which was only about 3 mins of talking and the rest was video. The only thing I disagreed with was Colin claiming the combat was something people will say they've never seen before. The manifest was a vision, the information they have shared regarding the game are what I speak of. I didn't see anything that they haven't touched on by now. What part of the manifesto doyou feel is all smoke up our butts? Please correct my misinformation. Make sure its information and not interpretation.

Isn't your response just interpretation though?  I am asking you to provide information on what they have actually backed up based on the claims they've made in the manifesto.  Since you yourself claimed you are here to clarify any misinformation.  I am saying the entire manifesto is misinformation that has not been backed up by their content.  Are you going to clear that up or no?

@32 sec mark manifesto claims they are making a game that defies existing conventions. Well that needs no explination since most of the game mechanics are different than todays typical MMO. DE over quest grind, lack of a tank healer mechanic, etc. there are numerouse ones if you cared to look. The part that follows about checking out GW2 is opinion.

@40secs ; Mike O'brien says they take what we love about GW1 and puts it into a persistent world that's got more active combat and a branching personal story line. You gonna argue the world is persistent and there are story lines? He also says there is a new event system to get people to play together. That is there and whether it gets people to play together is up to the players and open to interpretation. They did however put the system in there. Also he stated still no subscription fees. yeah  it's there as well.

@53 secs Daniel Dociu says the game is going for a painterly illistrated asthetic. I can see that in their art style. He says everything feels hand crafted and they treat the art like a character. Opinion but still it's in there.

@1:10 Colin Johansen says the art is visually stuning and never seen before. Yup. Then says the same about combat. I already commented on that.

@1:20 Colin expalins what you do in the typical MMO and what he feels about the rest of the game. He says they don't want to make players grind. I'd say they have delivered there.

@1:37 Colins states they want to change the way they people view combat combat. Done.

@1:40 Ree Soesbee says the MMO structure have lost the ability to make the player feel like a hero because everyone is doing the same thing around you. the boss you killed respawns 10 mins later. It doesn't care that we are there. Her idea of what the MMO is missing no claim there.

@1:58 Colin says you'll get quest text saying one thing that isn't even happening. He says they don't think that's ok. His opinion. He then says in GW2 you'll actually see the centaurs running towards the village and knocking down walls. This is said while a video is showing it actually happening. Also the DE's have been shown int he demos to be doing exactly what is said to be happening. Delivered.

@2:09 Ree says they do not want to build the same MMO that everyone else is building. This is what they want and once again not a claim, although it goes without saying this is exactly what is being done. She goes on to say that in GW2 it is your world and your story. She then says you affect it in a very permanent way. While this could have been taken out of text since it was concerning your personal story, Anet and others here have explained the lack of actual permanent changes to the game in detail. They didn't promise the DE's would change the actual world forever and have said such.

@2:19 Colin says that cause and affect takes place. A single event or decision by a player cascades out in a chain of events. Anet has explained that some DE's are started by the adventure type who stumble apon an item and can make a decision from there that can start an event. While I personally haven't seen this take place, I won't say it is something Anet claims to have and in the game and it won't be there. Based on the DE's and what we know and have seen there is zero reason to lie or go back on this concept.

@2:25 Ree says you are meeting new people. Once again up to the player what to do with these encounters but it is an MMO. She then says you rescue a village that will stay rescued and even have NPC's remember you. Another tidbit I haven't seen for my own eyes but this is not such a hard idea to grasp or doubt. other games have NPC's that remember you. the part about the village staying rescued goes back to permanent world changes. i took that comment as once the DE is completed as a successful rescue there wont be anymore of the baddies that were taking over just wandering around the field outside picking daisies.

@2:31 Ree says the most important thing in any game should be the player and they have built a game for them. Her opinion and not a claim while the part about having built the game for them is open to your interpretation.

The next 4mins and 61 seconds was them showing videos of the game. I don't see what you see. hell you caught me on a day where I feel like actually bothering to bite so there ya go. Now you tell me where they failed to deliver on what they said In the manifesto.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

Robert seems to be running out of ideas, guys. Maybe we should let him rest for a while and collect his thoughts. :)

Oh, and he just proved me right. That's the tutorial area which IS instanced.

For the life of me, I can not remember, what made you think that you were wise and that you'd never compromise.

This discussion has been closed.