Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Phaser Inc. - The Biggest Scam Ever in EVE Online

kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

Comments

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Heh, a Ponzi scheme, really?  Wonder if any EVE players are willing to buy the Eiffel Tower.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• ultrastoatultrastoat Member Posts: 172

I -just- started playing EvE in hopes of seeing things like this happen.

These people have my respect.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

Although I have sympathy for those that got scammed, ultimately this is the kind of thing that proves Eve is truely alive and a Sandbox, and in all the correct ways in that the Scam was within the Sandbox as it were, not an exploit. 

I look forward to seing the shockwaves (or is that the ripple) next time im online in my little punisher :)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865

Originally posted by Bladestrom

Although I have sympathy for those that got scammed, ultimately this is the kind of thing that proves Eve is truely alive and a Sandbox, and in all the correct ways in that the Scam was within the Sandbox as it were, not an exploit. 

I look forward to seing the shockwaves (or is that the ripple) next time im online in my little punisher :)

Yup, this is pretty Epic. I can't wait to see the fallout tonight while I'm mining my life away lol.

• wabben77wabben77 Member Posts: 47

they took me for about a billion of that hehe. Well they sure did >ALOT< of work for that scam. They actually HIRED someone for money to make their website. That's what hooked me. Awesome website. Well if someone is going to put in that much money and effort into scamming people for internet money, so be it. I'll recover :)

Originally posted by wabben77

they took me for about a billion of that hehe. Well they sure did >ALOT< of work for that scam. They actually HIRED someone for money to make their website. That's what hooked me. Awesome website. Well if someone is going to put in that much money and effort into scamming people for internet money, so be it. I'll recover :)

If that is the case, respect due to you sir for your attitude :)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865

Originally posted by Bladestrom

If that is the case, respect due to you sir for your attitude :)

Agreed, you some thick skin my friend. I wish more MMO player had your attitude (myself included.) hehe

• Zookz1Zookz1 Member Posts: 629

Rule No. 1: Never lose money.

Rule No. 2: Never forget rule No. 1.

-Warren Buffet
  • HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760

I always just assume these banks are a scam.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

This is just another reason why this game is the greatest multiplayer sandbox ever made. Well, so far at least.

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

On so many levels, EVE is a constant education in humility. It's like Vegas for nerds.

• wabben77wabben77 Member Posts: 47

Anyone who plays eve knows the game is about risk management. I knew phaser inc was quite possibly a scam, but hey I was getting payouts and they had been around for a while, so I took a risk and got burned. Same as taking a tech 3 into a wormhole hoping to score big, you can get blown up :).

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

Funny how some people say this game is the best sandbox because CCP lets people be scumbags like Madeoff and get away with it but if someone pulled off a scam on CCP in the game it would probably be dealt with fast and furiously.

Originally posted by Asheram

Funny how some people say this game is the best sandbox because CCP lets people be scumbags like Madeoff and get away with it but if someone pulled off a scam on CCP in the game it would probably be dealt with fast and furiously.

Well think about it, someone gets jumped in a 0 sec zone and is destroyed and his cargo taken.  Its no different, its just a matter of imagination and scale.  CCP have provided a sandbox that protects you if you choose to take the protection, but if you take risks ... :)

Anyone who plays eve knows the game is about risk management. I knew phaser inc was quite possibly a scam, but hey I was getting payouts and they had been around for a while, so I took a risk and got burned. Same as taking a tech 3 into a wormhole hoping to score big, you can get blown up :).

Very true, everyone has their own level of risk when it comes to everyday tasks in EvE, and I find that the more ISK you have, the more expansive that range becomes.

Fortune favours the bold.

Scamming is a feature, and a good one at that, since it probably cuts down on a lot of customer service complaints.

I doubt if employees at CCP care about being scammed - they hold the keys that open all the doors and as long as they keep within reason no one is going to know that they pad their wallets after a loss.  I'm sure they write it off as "quality assurance"...

• NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312

CCP has a fairly strict policy on scamming and enforces it pretty heavily. It goes something like this... If your scammed through your inactions, lack of attention, or just plain stupidity too god damn bad. Now if someone scams you through a bug or exploit in the game (there was a way to make a trade still show positive after you changed a transaction price), well that person will be enjoying the game from a new account or not at all. That policy seems to be just fine with most people in EVE with the exception of those that get scammed repeatively for the last reason.

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228
    like on Rl ppl never learn every now and then we get a awesome scam i bet now someone plans a new one :D :D

BestSigEver :P