Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you support a RPGguru website?(Poll)

BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

I've decided to make this thread because of the news article on this site suggesting the addition of Diablo 3 to the games list. Although I'm a very avid fan of the Diablo series and I'm very much anticipating the arival of the 3rd installment the fundamental question is this... Should we allow non-MMOs on a MMO specific website? This rule has already been broken several times with games like Guild Wars and LOL but should this trend continue?

In the comment thread for the linked story it has been suggested several times by myself and others that maybe it is time for MMORPG.com to spawn another sister site in the same way that they already have with FPSguru and RTSguru. With Diablo 3, Torchlight 2, The Elder Scrolls 5 and many more interesting upcoming games plus all of the current games we know and love this would be a very good idea in my honest opinion. This would give all of the RPG games that we love a home for news, updates and general discussion.

while(horse==dead)
{
beat();
}

Comments

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

This site has aa section to bring up games that are not MMOs.  I personally think the other guru sites are a waste and I really disslike it when they post stuff here about them and pretend it is news. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• Distopia2Distopia2 Member Posts: 574

I just don't see the point, not considering the path this site has taken over the last year or so. The other guru sites make sense as they're geared to another audience completely, FPS and RTS fans. MMORPG fans are essentially RPG fans, most I know of play RPGs as well as MMOrpgs, what benefit does it serve to separate that audience? Looks like an undue headache to me.

This site expanding is something I'd welcome, there are many RPG's I'd like to see coverage of. How would that coverage effect you? If you don't want to hear about it, don't read it, seems a simple enough concept to me. At least it may get rid of the many fluff articles that pop up as filler rather than news here. As they'd have something with substance to fill in it's place.

To SB fans, please stop making our demographic look bad.Stop invading threads that have nothing to do with sandboxes.

SW:TOR Graphics Evolution and Comparison

SW:TOR Compare MMO Quests, Combat and More...

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Yea.

They have RTS Guru and FPS Guru in teeeny tiny letters above. . .see. . .take the high-road and be proud of the differntiation of game-types.

Make that teeeny tiny type larger and add Action RPG Guru.

These are all distinclty different genres, games, entertainment mechanics and audiences, though which do overlap at time, but different none-the-less.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Originally posted by Distopia

I just don't see the point, not considering the path this site has taken over the last year or so. The other guru sites make sense as they're geared to another audience completely, FPS and RTS fans. MMORPG fans are essentially RPG fans, most I know of play RPGs as well as MMOrpgs, what benefit does it serve to separate that audience? Looks like an undue headache to me.

This site expanding is something I'd welcome, there are many RPG's I'd like to see coverage of. How would that coverage effect you? If you don't want to hear about it, don't read it, seems a simple enough concept to me. At least it may get rid of the many fluff articles that pop up as filler rather than news here. As they'd have something with substance to fill in it's place.

You've missed my point entirely. It's not that I don't want to read stories about other RPGs. I very much do. The point of having a seperate website would be to give them a lot more slack from the community so they can cover the whole RPG genre without causing forum wars over it. This site was created for a specific purpose... to cover news for upcoming and current MMORPGs. With a seperate site they could cover everything without having to have a news story and a poll asking the community for their permission. It would give them the tool they need to cover the whole genre without the worry of community backlash.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• ravtecravtec Member Posts: 214

I would like to see more offline/online rpg then only mmorpg games. So my vote is yes.

I realy like this site so would be awsome if they started to cover more rpg's.

Originally posted by Brenelael

You've missed my point entirely. It's not that I don't want to read stories about other RPGs. I very much do. The point of having a seperate website would be to give them a lot more slack from the community so they can cover the whole RPG genre without causing forum wars over it. This site was created for a specific purpose... to cover news for upcoming and current MMORPGs. With a seperate site they could cover everything without having to have a news story and a poll asking the community for their permission. It would give them the tool they need to cover the whole genre without the worry of community backlash.

Bren

What part of my own opinion has to do with your point? You asked a question I gave my opinion on it. JUst to be clear when I said "you" I wasn't talking about you as in (bren), it was directed at anyone who would potentially read my post.

To SB fans, please stop making our demographic look bad.Stop invading threads that have nothing to do with sandboxes.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Sure...sounds good to me.  ^_^

Bren

What part of my own opinion has to do with your point? You asked a question I gave my opinion on it.

Sorry... The part I highlighted sounded like you were replying to me directly.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

Bren

What part of my own opinion has to do with your point? You asked a question I gave my opinion on it.

Bren

Yeah I realized that which is why I edited my post, I just used a typical form of writing, to sound as if you're speaking to the reader, who happens to be reading and asking them a direct question. Sorry about that it was a general you rather than a bren you.

Originally posted by Teala

Sure...sounds good to me.  ^_^

I'm sure they would have a 'Mount and Blade' section just for you Teala (and the thousands of others that play...LOL). image

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

Yes but not to date myself but I think of the old school style games like Wizardry.

Bren

Bren

Yeah I realized that which is why I edited my post, I just used a typical form of writing, to sound as if you're speaking to the reader, who happens to be reading and asking them a direct question. Sorry about that it was a general you rather than a bren you.

It's all good. Just a misunderstanding. image

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

I don't visit the other guru sites and i doubt i would visit an RPG one. If i'm playing a non MMO game i tend to visit the official forums/sites for info and not some third party.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I would probably not. I've got one or two sites I go to, and they have the information I need. This site in particular has a lot of the information I am looking for. For everything else I'll use Google.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• VindictusVindictus Member UncommonPosts: 49

{mod edit}

I like how they post non-traditional MMORPG details on this site sometimes, as there isn't always news that's interesting on a daily basis for the traiditional-MMOs and it keeps things interesting. Seriously, I'd rather read something cool about diablo, than read an entire article about how GW2 or SWTOR 'announced that they might announce some new info in the coming weeks'.

I'm not a big fan of the additional sites they've created. They're ok, but I never visit them unless I'm following a link from mmorpg.com, so adding another one for 'single player rpgs' would mean they'd end up having more off site links from mmorpg.com in order to keep those sites going -- and in a way it just feels like it's still mmorpg.com but re-skinned for a specific genre -- so what's the point?

Well so far the poll seems to be about 2 to 1 for the creation of a RPGguru website although the sample is still kinda small (38 Votes). As for the posts so far the arguments against seem to be following a common theme (to me anyways). This seems to be that they are already turning this site into a general RPG site anyways so what's the point? The point is that in order to add a game like Diablo 3 they feel compelled to have a news article and get a vote on it. In essence they are asking the community's permission to do so. This is because anyone around here long enough remembers the lengthy debates when they added Guild Wars and the host of complaints when they added LOL.

They should be able to add whatever they want without fear of a community uprising and that is what a seperate website would give them. They could add other games as well like The Elder Scrolls Series, Fallout series, Neverwinter Nights series, Witcher series and a whole host of others with reletive impunity. This would give them the freedom to cover whatever they want in the RPG genre while still maintaining this site for pure MMO discussion. Everybody wins.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• PTEDPTED Member Posts: 464

An RPGguru would be great, yes.

It was fine when they added GW, DDO and Global Agenda as they do have common social areas that are played with massive amounts of people; less fine when they added LoL & are talking about Diablo 3.

Wasn't there a rules page or official sticky somewhere a few years ago that answered what is and what isn't an MMO to stop people asking about random-asian-shooter?

Something along the lines of;

- Must be in English
    - Must have an official website (also in English)
    - Must have a common playable area (To weed out lobby-based games)
    - Must have screenshots/videos

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Possibly a good idea for single-player RPGs, just pop it next to the others (FPS, RTS) would be very convenient, true. Would Diablo 3 be included there or be on mmorpg.com though?

• GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287

I voted yes.  I don't actually care if they post less-then-traditional MMO games here.  I wouldnt care if they covered Skyrim and just made this site a full on RPG site.  BUT, I'd not mind being able to sort them in that way either.  The only downside is that the three sites they have are similar in one IMPORTANT way....predominately online play.  Thats why these sites have life....there is never a loss of things to talk about in online games.  Things are always chaning and happening.  A non-online site would be.....dead, in short order.  We'd talk for weeks about Skyrim, for sure.  But its a finite experience...and once the game was beaten we'd all scatter into the winds and take our ad revenue with us.

So....I guess NO would have been a better vote.  I love RPG's though...so, I'll always cast my vote for more sites dedicated to them.

EDIT:

UNLESSSSSSSSSS

They made it a truly community based affair and really put effort into being a indie rpg hub for couch developers using things like RPGmaker VX or gamemaker 8 to produce their own RPG's as well.  If they covered trip-A titles and then really did a good job on teh indie side of the market such a site would be a great BOON to us all.  Especially if they consolidated and refined resources for those indie production engines so that others like us could more readily access those utilities for our own games.  THAT site would rock HARD HARD HARD.  Its concept could even be extended to this site here, in really reaching out to the indie community and helping build THAT into what it needs to be.  Right now we NEED a stronger indie unit, because games are becoming far to large in production and its making everything inaccessible to the gamer of today.