Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Penny Arcade

I'm putting aside issues like class balance or Gamemaster abuse, because honestly those things are only a problem when the fucking server is up. They will no doubt be very interesting topics eventually, but it's actually four and five times a week at this point that I can't even log in to the game. It's not like I'm sitting here trying to connect at odd hours so I can catch them in something, either - this is in prime time, or on a weekend. The mail system works when it is good and ready. The servers themselves appear to have other things on their mind.

Every week, there is some new calamity that necessitates some huge response on their part, servers are coming down, but if you think that the servers coming back up again will represent an improvement in the basic functionality of the game you're mistaken. They took them down most of the day Thursday (and again for "emergency service" on Sunday), and when they came back up it should have been something supernatural but it was actually utterly imperceptible. It should have been like when the Genesis device hit and a lifeless rock became a fucking paradise. That didn't happen. So, if I say, as I'm about to, that their emergency service amounts to parlor tricks, what evidence can they give to the contrary? Because near as I can tell they've been doing "emergency service" since release, only they used to credit people's accounts for it.

If this happened in Galaxies, or Dark Age, or AO, of course it'd be everybody everywhere piling on. But it's Blizzard, and since they made a few good games years ago now they can do whatever the fuck they want to. Great policy, and it totally serves consumers. Good job.

Comments

• ImperatorianImperatorian Member Posts: 1,000

Thank you for being the 3rd poster now to post this ;)

:)

"Everything between these floating comma type things is my sig. Not part of my above text.

If ignorance is bliss, you'd think people would be happier when you point out what morons they are!"

• JoshFatalJoshFatal Member Posts: 42

Am I the only one who doesn't give a flying fuck about what the Penny Arcade queers have to say?

I mean, nothing against the guys. I like their comics 50-60% of the time, at least, but I'm seeing posts like this all over the WoW forums I go to, and it's getting kind of tiring. So two guys on the internet who run a successful webcomic are revoking their OWN game of the year award because they're on a busy server and Blizzard's running in circles trying to make their servers suck less. Why should any of us, let alone Blizzard, care about this?

• NeasNeas Member Posts: 887

i think they are being childish by revoking it.

Who gives a shit anyways? What is the award worth?

Who cares?. The game is the best thing since sliced bread. Its a victim of its own success yet these guys are too petty to realise it. By removing the award they are just showing how noob they are.

And you want to know the honest truth?. They are utterly addicted. They breath sleep WoW. Now its been down for 16 hours or what not thats WAAAY to long for them to deal with. They get stressed, annoyed and angry. They become irritable and unstable.

This sympton is common among addicts of other things like cigarrettes alchohol and gambling. They are having withdrawal symptons and hate blizzard for the way they feel. When in fact they need to re evaluate their lives because after all.... its only a game.

Beta Tested: Lineage 2, Ryzom, City of Heroes, RYL, EverQuest 2 World Of Warcraft European
    Truly Loved: World of Warcraft

Beta Tested: Lineage 2, Ryzom, City of Heroes, RYL, EverQuest 2 World Of Warcraft European

• jimmyman99jimmyman99 Member UncommonPosts: 3,221

Never heard of these guys before, which means they are either new or nobody cares about them. What they write is ignorant rubbish. Took me 2 minutes to figure out that I couldnt join a different server when mine was on queue.

"The only thing that is better then a bottle of beer is a bottle of beer full of beer" - old Gnomish proverb
    http://wow.allakhazam.com/profile.html?13268
    http://wow.allakhazam.com/profile.html?13307

I am the type of player where I like to do everything and anything from time to time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor - pre-WW2 genocide.
    imageimage

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Yep i already stated on another post that this guy's reviews have zero meaning to me.

Reason being they state they gave the award with goodwill towards blizzard.Thats a no no for a reviewer.Ask anyone when you review a car ,game or movie or whatever you review the item not what you think the company of the item can do .So that has already made them void .

Then they  actually state they did this and then do what revoke the award making them even look more like 12 year old amateur reviewers.

Nah sorry disregard whatever they say.

• sliversliver Member Posts: 132

You guys call yourselves gamers and you dont read penny arcade? Put it on your favorites then go there now and behold all the comic goodness. They love wow, and he wasnt serious about revoking the title, it was just a moment of frustration.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3

• jimothypetrojimothypetro Member Posts: 1,437

Gamespot also posted a article about how crappy the WoW servers are. But I guessyou guys don't want to flame Gamespot, because they are the ones that gave WoW the 9.6 that the fanboys still haven't shut up about.

WoW finally gets some bad press, and of course the fanboys are here to protect their precious game. ::::18::

----------------------------------

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
    -- Ken Olson, chairman of Digital Equipment Corp, 1977

• NeasNeas Member Posts: 887

Originally posted by jimothypetro
    Gamespot also posted a article about how crappy the WoW servers are. But I guessyou guys don't want to flame Gamespot, because they are the ones that gave WoW the 9.6 that the fanboys still haven't shut up about.WoW finally gets some bad press, and of course the fanboys are here to protect their precious game. ::::18::

and who made you emperor?

• paradymeparadyme Member Posts: 238

Far better web comic.

Ctrl-Alt-Delete

• firemagicfiremagic Member Posts: 878

Gamespot also posted a article about how crappy the WoW servers are. But I guessyou guys don't want to flame Gamespot, because they are the ones that gave WoW the 9.6 that the fanboys still haven't shut up about.WoW finally gets some bad press, and of course the fanboys are here to protect their precious game. ::::18::

Correction:

Gamespot posted a news article detailing the nefarious issues currently affecting WoW and people's reaction to them.

This is very different from Gamespot personally attacking Blizzard or WoW. The article did not contain any opinion from Gamespot. They were reporting news and nothing more.

Originally posted by sliver

You guys call yourselves gamers and you dont read penny arcade? Put it on your favorites then go there now and behold all the comic goodness. They love wow, and he wasnt serious about revoking the title, it was just a moment of frustration.
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3

Funny, I thought calling myself a gamer meant "I PLAY GAMES" not "I READ REALLY GAY UNFUNNY WEBCOMICS." Seriously, Penny Arcade is funny once in a while, and the rest of the time just rides on its popularity.

And for not being serious, Tycho sure had a pretty damn serious tone in his rant. That'd be like being really depressed and posting "OMFG IM GOING 2 KILL MYSELF" on your LiveJournal for all your friends to see. Oh, he wasn't serious, he was just depressed. But you still look like a jackass for making all of your readers see that.

Okay, kind of an off example, but you get what I'm saying?

The point remains, whether he was serious or not, it really doesn't matter that one site out there is "revoking" its award just because they can't play the game they're madly addicted to. Gee, I wonder why they're so upset about it? Perhaps because (and they even admitted this) it's a really good game.

As if Blizzard's going to say "Holy cow, Penny Arcade is going to revoke their award!!! We had better kick into gear and get our servers running! We weren't going to do it this week, but we'd really like that award back, before they give it to GuildWars!"

Get real.

• jimothypetrojimothypetro Member Posts: 1,437

Well, the first reason I would think it wasn't completely serious, is because it is a COMIC site. ::::12::

----------------------------------

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
    -- Ken Olson, chairman of Digital Equipment Corp, 1977

Well, the first reason I would think it wasn't completely serious, is because it is a COMIC site. ::::12::

Except this article didn't come from a comic, it came from their little blog on the front page, which usually consists of actual articles they write about stuff. Just because they draw comics that are (supposed to be) funny doesn't mean they can't express a serious opinion on their site, or that something they said MUST OBVIOUSLY be satire or sarcasm.
  • JodokaiJodokai Member Posts: 1,621

Originally posted by Neas

and who made you emperor?

Me, didn't you get the memo?

• kymekyme Member Posts: 411

Theres a reason why penny arcades's award matters. For months on the WOW website It bragged about the award. And yes gamespot has recoginzed the shittyness of wow's servers.

Consumers were hoodwinked when we purchased the game...there is no excuse for such crappy servers...the reason they sold 600K copies was because they saw $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. We were conned, and its truly unfair.

The people who speak up when something is amiss are the people who make the gaming experience better (even for the people who call these people whiners). I think it would be fair if the whiner-bashers wouldn't recieve the spoils because they seem content no?

• paradymeparadyme Member Posts: 238

How the F#$% were u conned man? If that's the case i've been conned every MMORPG release I've played. If u wanna see a company that Cons its players go play an EA game.