Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Planetery interaction

BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

Hey guys, looking into this topic but I havent found good discussions about it yet (found guides ofc), wonder if anyone can answer the following:

How many people use it if at all, or is it a normal part  of every day business?

Is there capacity left on planets to setup (ive just started to read up on mechanics so this may be a daft question)?

Does it turn a profit, even if small?

Is it safe from attack?

Does supply and deman create risk that you will make a loss? is S & D even relevant?

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

Comments

• HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760

Originally posted by Bladestrom

Hey guys, looking into this topic but I havent found good discussions about it yet (found guides ofc), wonder if anyone can answer the following:

How many people use it if at all, or is it a normal part  of every day business?

Is there capacity left on planets to setup (ive just started to read up on mechanics so this may be a daft question)?

Does it turn a profit, even if small?

Is it safe from attack?

Does supply and deman create risk that you will make a loss? is S & D even relevant?

It's a normal part of my everyday business.  I have two toons collecting raw mats that I refine into product on one of them - it's a whole refining operation involving 14 advanced industry facilities on one planet.  I'd have 3 toons running but one toon is parked in jita and I use it to scope the market.

The more people on your planet drawing the same mats the less you'll all collect.

It turns a profit in the long run but it's expensive to set up.  I think it cost 14 million ISK (or maybe it was 9) when I set up 4 planets with 9 installations each, which I've made back a long time ago.

For now, it is safe from attack, I don't know what will happen when DUST 514 drops.

S&D does create a risk, and right now the product I've refined is not selling for the price I want, I could drop the price for a quick sale but it's a fair price and I'm not in need of ISK at the moment.  (To clarify: You will not lose ISK in the long run; after the initial installation costs, there's no additional costs, except for a small tax when you use the customs office.  As long as you stay above that tax you'll be making a profit - it all depends on what you think your time is worth.)

Also, whatever you harvest you'll need to transport so you might need to fly an industrial ship.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

ah cool I was hoping it was along those lines cheers for info.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

• GrummeligGrummelig Member Posts: 13

Can the planetary interaction be a good option for a new player to earn some ISKs? Or are the inital investments too large and the maintenance (time/effort/market-knowledge necessary) too intense for that?

• HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760

Originally posted by Grummelig

Can the planetary interaction be a good option for a new player to earn some ISKs? Or are the inital investments too large and the maintenance (time/effort/market-knowledge necessary) too intense for that?

To run my operation the skill books alone cost 2,150,000 ISK.

I was already well established when tyrannis launched, so I can't really say from experience whether it's worthwhile for a new player.

There are construction costs, and as I said above, there are taxes that need to be covered.

I'd be uncomfortable as a new player to start up PI without knowing the exact costs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKnObxB9XCs this might help you guys out - it's a lot more friendly than the old tutorial that taught me image

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

nice 1, much appreciated.