Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: What will the monthlee fee be for SWTOR?

2»

Comments

• fionanshrekfionanshrek Member Posts: 104

Originally posted by xm522

^ your logic is flawed.

nothing is stopping bioware from charging $20 a month (ridiculous none the less).

if you know anything about economics and the market you would understand that charging $20 is not actually such a big danger to the game. yes they will loose (lets say) 20% of the possible player base, but they wil make up for that with the extra charge. let us remember that we are talking about one of the most famous IP's out there.

also, logically, if bioware decides that their product is worth $20. many people will see this and believe it as well. just how we sometimes pay exagerated amounts for things, when in reality they are not better than the cheaper versions (think of sun glases, or clothe).

personally i do not believe they will go for anything above $15, it seems to be an industry standard,

I don't see them going over fifteen a month either but you do have a good point, if they decided to charge twenty bucks I'd be willing to bet there will be a ton of people who don't bat an eyelash.  I mean look at all the people who pay for broken games now.

• WycliffeWycliffe Member Posts: 354

Originally posted by Lunny08

They have preorders up and havn't let people know how much money is required each month to play? Crazy.

I think thats because we all assumed it was going to be the standard $15 with discounts for 3, 6 and 12 month packages, and EA didn't think there would be any speculation on the matter so they haven't clarified yet.

The $150 CE I imagine is what led to this discussion as that is an unusually high box price, but the inflated price is not because of the game itself but rather the physical swag that comes with it. As other people have pointed out, that statue alone makes up a good chunk of the cost, check out http://www.gentlegiantltd.com/ if you don't believe me.

The other two versions, regular and virtual item CE, come with the standard price for AAA games.

My prediction is $15 for a single month, around $35 for 3 months, $60 for 6 months and a little over $100 for a year.

• WycliffeWycliffe Member Posts: 354

Originally posted by fionanshrek

^ your logic is flawed.

nothing is stopping bioware from charging $20 a month (ridiculous none the less).

if you know anything about economics and the market you would understand that charging $20 is not actually such a big danger to the game. yes they will loose (lets say) 20% of the possible player base, but they wil make up for that with the extra charge. let us remember that we are talking about one of the most famous IP's out there.

also, logically, if bioware decides that their product is worth $20. many people will see this and believe it as well. just how we sometimes pay exagerated amounts for things, when in reality they are not better than the cheaper versions (think of sun glases, or clothe).

personally i do not believe they will go for anything above $15, it seems to be an industry standard,

I don't see them going over fifteen a month either but you do have a good point, if they decided to charge twenty bucks I'd be willing to bet there will be a ton of people who don't bat an eyelash.  I mean look at all the people who pay for broken games now.

There are plenty of people who will drop lots of cash without batting an eyelash, and EA is aware of this. Bringing up the $150 CE again, they've already capitalized on it (btw the $150 preorder sold out in less than a week).

However, there are even more gamers who won't pay $20 a month. EA wants them to play and isn't looking to scare them off.

I predict, like many others, EA is going to find ways to milk those with an abundance of cash as much as they can AND charging industry standard for box/sub etc for everyone else.

Get ready for $25 sparkling ponies people.

Originally posted by Wycliffe

Originally posted by fionanshrek

^ your logic is flawed.

There are plenty of people who will drop lots of cash without batting an eyelash, and EA is aware of this. Bringing up the $150 CE again, they've already capitalized on it (btw the $150 preorder sold out in less than a week).

However, there are even more gamers who won't pay $20 a month. EA wants them to play and isn't looking to scare them off.

I predict, like many others, EA is going to find ways to milk those with an abundance of cash as much as they can AND charging industry standard for box/sub etc for everyone else.

Get ready for $25 sparkling ponies people.

Oh I agree they won't go over the standard sub fee and I even agree some would not play it if it was twenty bucks a month but I doubt many of the people to already pre order would fall into that category and as an extension I doubt that the number of people who fight that particular battle of futility would be enough to make any real noise for EA/BW.

• 4getting20094getting2009 Member UncommonPosts: 178

Originally posted by Robokapp

if they're smart they will not charge the full $15.

$15 is for tried and proven succesful mmo's not nw releases with uncertain future.

look at FFXIV. it had to go to zero fee to hang in there.

There is precendence for going from x to x-y as you cite with Final Fandrogenous 1 million.

However, since when has an MMO charged x and then later when it gained momentum charged x + y? Your statement implies that this would have to occur. No MMO is tried and proven at release. They all charge at first if they are sub based. The standard has been 15.00.  I highly doubt that will change with this release. I've been wrong before...ok many times...but my money is on 15.00

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by thekid1

Originally posted by just1opinion

Originally posted by thekid1

1. have you ever heard of an AAA MMO where they started with a sub, then raised it a few dollars?

SOE did it with all their games just recenlty if I remember correctly.

The opposite.  SoE made their games cheaper, not more expensive.

Then why did they raise the Station pass monthly fee.

You must be confused.  Station Pass is now 20 bucks, it used to be 30.  Otherwise, their single games remain the same price.  Not sure where you're getting your info.  I'm a subscriber.  The Station Pass price for unlimited subscriber access to ALL SoE games is now cheaper, as I said.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

"Monthlee?"

Anyone who thinks the game will be more than $15 a month isn't living in reality.

Originally posted by Robokapp

if they're smart they will not charge the full $15.

$15 is for tried and proven succesful mmo's not nw releases with uncertain future.

look at FFXIV. it had to go to zero fee to hang in there.

I'm fairly certain FFXIV launched at somewhere around the fifteen a month that all mmo's I know of launch at if they have a sub fee at all.

FFXIV went to no sub fee because they and the games fans can readily admit the game is a grade a cluster and if I'm not mistaken if and when they get it in a playable state it will go right back to the standard sub fee.

Every game at some point in time is a new release and they all launch with a fifteen dollar price tag (less for subscribing to multiple months at a time).

Just out of curiosity what game do you know of that launched with a sub fee of less than fifteen only to raise it to fifteen a month when they became popular?

• lunatislunatis Member UncommonPosts: 261

Thanks for participating!