Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To EVE or not to EVE, an MMO player looking for a new home

13»

Comments

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

Originally posted by Hazelle

An example of grief play would be the so called "Can baiting" in starter systems. An experienced player drops a cargo container with some items in front of a station in a starter system and waits for a new player to take from it. The new player is flagged and promptly attacked and killed by the owner of the container. Doing the same in starter tutorial complexes is also considered grief play and will not be tolerated.  

http://support.eveonline.com/Pages/KB/Article.aspx?id=336 

Exactly!

And it makes learning the game more of a challenge and more exciting. Most aspects of grief play in eve do. I was once part of a raiding party that came across a carrier that was just far enough outside a bubble to be bumped away from safety and destroyed. We sent in a small force and locked it down.

It was owned by small but fairly well armed industrial pet in null sec. They sent in reinforcements to try to save the carrier so we hot dropped in a larger fleet. By the end of the battle we had taken down 3 carrier and dozens of other ships. We basically wiped them out, all because they left a carrier just a little bit too far outside a bubble, and we spotted it with a cloaked ship.

After we destroyed everything they were going to throw at us we started in on the tower, but they called in backup from the alliance that owned the space. We ran to safety as they arrived leaving the tower intact.

After we left they thanked us for the fight. We had made the game more challenging and exciting for them, and they were good enough gamers to know it.

• InktomiInktomi Member UncommonPosts: 663

Originally posted by kovah

Very frustrating the number of folks who didn't bother to read the whole thread.

You had time to check the site.  You had time to read a post.  But you dinna have time to read the whole thread.  Yes, I'm sure your real life comitments prevent you from being able to read an entire thread but do us a favor and don't post to said threads if you can't bother to read the whole thing.

Just saying.

I skimmed it. I was under the impression that he was a new player lining out the reasons why he should play eve over a single player simulator. Just wanted to clear up the ship matter.

• HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760

Originally posted by qazyman

An example of grief play would be the so called "Can baiting" in starter systems. An experienced player drops a cargo container with some items in front of a station in a starter system and waits for a new player to take from it. The new player is flagged and promptly attacked and killed by the owner of the container. Doing the same in starter tutorial complexes is also considered grief play and will not be tolerated.  

Exactly!

And it makes learning the game more of a challenge and more exciting. Most aspects of grief play in eve do. I was once part of a raiding party that came across a carrier that was just far enough outside a bubble to be bumped away from safety and destroyed. We sent in a small force and locked it down.

It was owned by small but fairly well armed industrial pet in null sec. They sent in reinforcements to try to save the carrier so we hot dropped in a larger fleet. By the end of the battle we had taken down 3 carrier and dozens of other ships. We basically wiped them out, all because they left a carrier just a little bit too far outside a bubble, and we spotted it with a cloaked ship.

After we destroyed everything they were going to throw at us we started in on the tower, but they called in backup from the alliance that owned the space. We ran to safety as they arrived leaving the tower intact.

After we left they thanked us for the fight. We had made the game more challenging and exciting for them, and they were good enough gamers to know it.

I think the biggest problem with Eve, or all mmorpgs, is that people view their character as an extension of themselves so they take any failure or gain way too seriously .

Everyone needs to calm down a bit - it's just a video game.

• InktomiInktomi Member UncommonPosts: 663

I know of another way that's done called "Fishing." It takes few experienced, or maybe even a few smart, well fitted younger players can pull this off.

The "Fishermen" go to a system thats been known to have canflippers with some newb mining ship and a hauler. Except they are not set up to mine, they are set up to neut and shoot. They drop a can with a few ore in it, along comes the "Fish" or the brave pirate canflipper. Once the can is flipped or the ore is taken out, then they lock him up with warp scrams and neut him down. 

Done it a few times, its fun when it works. I love to see their faces melt when they know that their going to show on their killboard that a mammoth killed them.

lol, good times.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

Exactly!

I think the biggest problem with Eve, or all mmorpgs, is that people view their character as an extension of themselves so they take any failure or gain way too seriously .

Thats called immersion, the best games booksmedia succeeds if players can immerse themeselves in the story.  You obviously equate this with being 'over excited', hence needing to 'calm' down, but normal people just enjoy being immersed thank you :)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760

Originally posted by Bladestrom

Exactly!

Thats called immersion, the best games booksmedia succeeds if players can immerse themeselves in the story.  You obviously equate this with being 'over excited', hence needing to 'calm' down, but normal people just enjoy being immersed thank you :)

Immersion means that you have an absorbing involment with something like a book, movie, or video game.

What I'm talking about is gamers displaying signs of major personality disorders while their digital alter ego goes thru it's ingame trials and tribulations.  I'm not talking about RP here where the gamer invents a persona and acts it out in roleplay, so the gamer affects the toon - I mean the toon is affecting the gamer.