Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So.. What happened to Tera?

NekkuroNekkuro Member Posts: 162

Did Tera plop, or is it somehow still all high-and-mighty but I'm not noticing it anymore?

Tera Online was renowned and revered not for its revolutionarism, but its next-generation like standards.

I never see it being used as an example of an anticipated title in the MMORPG community or a "how-it's-done-right" title.

Was it because:

• Guild Wars 2 triumphed over it in many ways - especially effectively ridding of the holy-trinity?

• Westernization gone too far AKA Loli update (no more little girl ass, leg etc.)

• Another MMORPG following in the footsteps of WoW VIA quests/world/gameplay?

• Community interest simply faded with time?

It's never used as an example of an anticipated MMORPG anymore.

someone mind explaining what the hell happened?

* When voting in the poll, please try to speak for the entire community and not just yourself.

Comments

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Official release announced for spring 2012.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by Xasapis

Official release announced for spring 2012.

I suppose they may want to launch the game later than SW:TOR, or perhaps the game is delayed by the CEO of the publisher leaving, or westernization is taking too long...

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Overtly Eastern-influenced art style fantasy games....don't appeal to me.  I'm not sure if it's the gameplay, the graphic style, the art direction, or simply all of the above OR just the art style.  I try to like them.  Heck I'm playing the AION trial right now.  I try a lot of Eastern-influenced art style games, but I always end up disliking them.  I don't think TERA would be any different for me, which is why I've never anticipated it.

EDIT:

Trying to correct my use of the word "Asian."

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• darkrain21darkrain21 Member UncommonPosts: 383

Originally posted by Nekkuro

Did Tera plop, or is it somehow still all high-and-mighty but I'm not noticing it anymore?

Tera Online was renowned and revered not for its revolutionarism, but its next-generation like standards.

I never see it being used as an example of an anticipated title in the MMORPG community or a "how-it's-done-right" title.

Was it because:

• Guild Wars 2 triumphed over it in many ways - especially effectively ridding of the holy-trinity?

• Westernization gone too far AKA Loli update (no more little girl ass, leg etc.)

* When voting in the poll, please try to speak for the entire community and not just yourself.

Tera is still around and it is still a major step in a new direction for MMO's, But up untill a few days ago EM hadnt even given a time frame for Release. They kept just saying "When its ready". They said a few days ago that it is slated for a Spring 2012 time frame. And all they have released on it is a bit about the political system and some Monster facts, people are going to lose intrest for a while. GW2 and TOR have had more info released on them Gameplay and release wise. Tera isnt gone alot of people just dont care anymore.

• darkrain21darkrain21 Member UncommonPosts: 383

Originally posted by just1opinion

Overtly Asian-style games....don't appeal to me.  I'm not sure if it's the gameplay, the graphic style, the art direction, or simply all of the above.  I try to like them.  Heck I'm playing the AION trial right now.  I try a lot of Asian-style games, but I always end up disliking them.  I don't think TERA would be any different for me, which is why I've never anticipated it.

Stop thinking Tera is an Asian title, Its not. It was released by a korean game company in korea. The idea and basic mold of the game was then sold to a western company to make the game for the west. What they did was look a the korean version and give it to some western gamers. Then those western games said what they liked what they didnt and what needed to be added to make it appeal to the western audiance. A korean port like aion you usually see realesed a few months after its korean counter part. Not much changed minus text. Tera they pretty much built from the ground up for the west so that its more somthing for us rather than a "hey this is what they are playing in korea".

• kylekbbkylekbb Member Posts: 165

Its a bit of all of them for me. I think STOWR and GW2 took the spot light with there annoucements and teras barely any info took it outta the light. They made a westner game and launched it in korea thought it would work ploped. Tried bringing it over here and while doing so have put out no info but every threee months. Not a great company to start with the game. Kinda disappotend i looked forward to giving it a go.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Definition of FAD

: a practice or interest followed for a time with exaggerated zeal : craze

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

The announcement of TERA coming out Spring 2012 killed what little hype I had for the game.  Over a year for localization?  Korean developers need to start taking the Western market seriously and focus on more concurrent development, but I honestly can't even imagine what they are doing to the game for localization to take that long.

It also couldn't come at a worse time, with huge competitors releasing at nearly the same time or earlier.  TERA is going to have to contend directly with GW2 (a game I am personally FAR more interested in) and SW:TOR as well as possibly The Secret World.  The only audience they'll be targeting with the game now are the Eastern MMO fanatics (I hate to use these terms, but otakus and weeaboos) and people who find the combat really appealing (but then again I can play other action RPG titles like Vindictus to get my fix).

Also, I'm not quite sure the game has enough content to hold player interest for long.  The grind isn't bad from what I hear (compared to other Korean MMOs), but it doesn't really seem to have a lot to do once you hit max.  There are a few small group world bosses that respawn hourly, the political system (an intriguing part of the game for sure), and only a few dungeons.  It seems like once you hit max level you can burn through the games content in 10-20 hours with little replayability.

Why should I have to speak for the entire community when voting in the poll?  I'm one person with my opinion, I can't say for sure with 100% certainity how the community itself feels.

• HaegemonHaegemon Member UncommonPosts: 267

I think the better question in regards to TERA is how soon after it launches will NBC be able to use just the game to film a whole seasons worth of "To Catch a Predator" clips for Dateline.

Lets Push Things Forward

I knew I would live to design games at age 7, issue 5 of Nintendo Power.

Support games with subs when you believe in their potential, even in spite of their flaws.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

I think Tera's star has fallen a bit..

the game and the company behind it have fallen silent for the most part and people are now turning their attention elsewhere(I know i have)..

I thought this game would defintiely be releasing sooner than it is,which I think is another factor.

I think my choices in the poll would have to be a mix of 1 and 4

• mmorpgbrommorpgbro Member Posts: 77

The best PVP clans are still playing this game at launch.

IMO the only enemy of Tera is Archeage (themepark / sandbox hybried like Tera, but more sandbox)

SWTOR was made to attract to other kind of mmorpg players, and GW2 is B2P so it's not really a competition, pretty much like GW1.

A game can have a great IP or hype, buy if it looks like total crap and plays like 10 year old games, players will quit in a couple of months, that's a fact, nowdays mmorpgs NEED something new.

The pvp community will be playing this game, and there are a lot of mmorpg gamers burned of the same casual wow clones, those players will only stay if a mmorpg has sandbox elements.

BTW, someone who likes eastern games isn't a weaboo, i have yet to see a weaboo in this site, on the other hand, mmorpg.com is full of westaboos who will glady pre order wow clones only to return to wow a couple of months later, just like they did with War, AoC, Rift, etc.

Give me a MMORPG with 300k subs all day like EvE instead of a 2.000.000 subs game full of first mmorpg players and casuals, IMO of course.

Tera will have more than 1.000.000 subs from China, so i'ts not like it will be in trouble, the western market has become quite niche worldwide over the last years.

For example, i played the BF3 alpha, and after confirming my deepest fears (CoD sindrome) i pre-ordered Red Orchestra 2 instead.

Of course BF3 will have more players, but that doesn't mean it will be better.

Originally posted by darkrain21

Overtly Asian-style games....don't appeal to me.  I'm not sure if it's the gameplay, the graphic style, the art direction, or simply all of the above.  I try to like them.  Heck I'm playing the AION trial right now.  I try a lot of Asian-style games, but I always end up disliking them.  I don't think TERA would be any different for me, which is why I've never anticipated it.

Stop thinking Tera is an Asian title, Its not. It was released by a korean game company in korea. The idea and basic mold of the game was then sold to a western company to make the game for the west. What they did was look a the korean version and give it to some western gamers. Then those western games said what they liked what they didnt and what needed to be added to make it appeal to the western audiance. A korean port like aion you usually see realesed a few months after its korean counter part. Not much changed minus text. Tera they pretty much built from the ground up for the west so that its more somthing for us rather than a "hey this is what they are playing in korea".

I think you misunderstood me.  I didn't say anything about Asian game.  I said Asian-STYLE games.  I also said that the graphics bother me, for one.  I think it's probably pretty hard to take everything Korean that I don't care for OUT of the game.  It's nothing against Korea or Koreans.  There are some Korean things I LOVE....kim chi being one, and assorted foods.  The country has much beauty.  But frankly I don't care for their STYLE in games.  Maybe TERA won't seem like that when it's released, but all the videos I have seen of it....really scream Asian artwork.  Sorry.

Just because you like it....doesn't mean that I necessarily will.  I also don't know yet that I DON'T like it, as it's not released, so I really can't judge whether I like it yet or NOT.  I'm just guessing that it won't hit that sweet spot for me personally.  Time will tell though.  I'm still paying attention to what happens with it.

EDIT:

I have to leave the words in this one the same since it was a response to someone, but.....I would rather change the word "Asian" to "Eastern-influenced" or "Eastern-influenced art style."  It was not my intention to sound racist or anything.  Just ignorance on my part as to how to describe something.

• NekkuroNekkuro Member Posts: 162

I think you misunderstood me.  I didn't say anything about Asian game.  I said Asian-STYLE games.  I also said that the graphics bother me, for one.  I think it's probably pretty hard to take everything Korean that I don't care for OUT of the game.  It's nothing against Korea or Koreans.  There are some Korean things I LOVE....kim chi being one, and assorted foods.  The country has much beauty.  But frankly I don't care for their STYLE in games.  Maybe TERA won't seem like that when it's released, but all the videos I have seen of it....really scream Asian artwork.  Sorry.

Just because you like it....doesn't mean that I necessarily will.  I also don't know yet that I DON'T like it, as it's not released, so I really can't judge whether I like it yet or NOT.  I'm just guessing that it won't hit that sweet spot for me personally.  Time will tell though.  I'm still paying attention to what happens with it.

TERA is absolutely not an Asian game or an Asian-STYLE game for that matter.

It is a fantasy game with otherworldly elements, not ASIAN-STYLE elements.

The lore - Not asian styled.

The races - NOT asian styled.

The classes - Not Asian styled.

The enemies - Not asian styled.

Nothing is Asian-styled in Tera. Nothing.

Elin are anime style- which is a concept CREATED by Asians, but not focused around the asian culture itself in the slightest. Even the Elin lore has nothing to do with eastern culture by any means.

Blade&Soul is an Asian style game.

With races like JIN, GON, JUN and LYN. These are focused around eastern asian culture.

TERA has races like Elin, High Elfs, Amani, Castanics etc. Which are completely otherwordly and more fantasy-based.

B&S has classes like the Kung-Fu Master. This one speaks for itself.

TERA has classes that range from realistic ones such as the Archer to otherwordly ones such as the Mystic.

Created by Asians =/= Asian game/Asian style game.

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

voted other, tera is vaporware

• ChilliesauceChilliesauce Member Posts: 559

My inteerst just faded with time. But i am also more interested in GW2, SWTOR and TSW more than Tera now.

• toodlepip123toodlepip123 Member Posts: 125

Are you really expecting an amazing or fun game when it is almost dead in its native asia?

• jerkbeastjerkbeast Member UncommonPosts: 255

Elin are anime style- which is a concept CREATED by Asians, but not focused around the asian culture itself in the slightest. Even the Elin lore has nothing to do with eastern culture by any means.

With races like JIN, GON, JUN and LYN. These are focused around eastern asian culture.

TERA has races like Elin, High Elfs, Amani, Castanics etc. Which are completely otherwordly and more fantasy-based.

TERA has classes that range from realistic ones such as the Archer to otherwordly ones such as the Mystic.

It's obvious he was talking about the art style. I haven't followed Tera because my computer sucks too bad to do a new style of combat. That being said....I just typed "Tera gameplay" into youtube, and what do you know....it looks very asian to me. Giant swords, The men look like women, and half the women look like little girls. Yes this is what you refer to as "anime" but that IS asian looking to me. Stupid hair stupid clothes stupid weapons.....so in conclusion even if me computer was better I wouldn't play this because it looks to asiany.

• vexewvexew Member Posts: 4

No idea what you guys are talking about.

I presume you have not even tried out the game?

I have, and i tell you, the game is awsome in everyway possible.

It has great graphics, stable gameplay that is very fluid, animations are great and feel not clunky at all and the game is very fast phased, they dont waste time with useless stuff like making a starting zone for every race and is clunking out new content fast.

Reason it failed in Korea is simple.

Its not a asian mmo, its a action mmo that is very easy to get gear and levels in without much grinding at all, you cant compare Aion to Tera, Aion took months to get to max level, Tera is like WoW when it comes to reaching max level, ie very easy.

It failed in Korea because they think very differently than the western gamers, thats the only reason, it will NOT fail in the west for said reasons.

But yes, for those complaining about Anime and dont like Anime art, dont even bother testing the game out.

The game is very! anime, every woman in the game got high-heels and bouncing boobs and very skimpy dresses, there is playable kids in the game *Elin* who doesnt use pants, theres cute animals everywhere and weapons are usually twice the size of your character atleast, men are muscle hulks that would put Superman to shame and give the Hulk a run for his money.

But the game is nothing like a ordinary asian mmo, WoW, Kotor etc has more in common with ordinary asian grinders like Perfect World, Aion and Lineage2 than this game.

• MMOtoGOMMOtoGO Member Posts: 630

Was it because:

It released in Korea. Gamers only hype unreleased games, everybody knows that.

Originally posted by jerkbeast

It's obvious he was talking about the art style. I haven't followed Tera because my computer sucks too bad to do a new style of combat. That being said....I just typed "Tera gameplay" into youtube, and what do you know....it looks very asian to me. Giant swords, The men look like women, and half the women look like little girls. Yes this is what you refer to as "anime" but that IS asian looking to me. Stupid hair stupid clothes stupid weapons.....so in conclusion even if me computer was better I wouldn't play this because it looks to asiany.

Geez....thank you.  At least SOMEONE understood me.  I don't care what ANYONE says, the game LOOKS Asian to me and it doesn't appeal to me.  I'm glad these other people like it so much and are so quick to DEFEND it, but I'm sorry....to ME, it is still utterly unappealing. Doesn't matter to me where the game is made, by the way.  It could be made in Texas for all I know....it still LOOKS anime/Asian and that kills it for me.

I WILL still keep an eye on it, because it COULD surprise me.  I don't make final decisions on games that are unreleased.

EDIT:

I have to leave the words in this one the same since it was a response to someone, but.....I would rather change the word "Asian" to "Eastern-influenced" or "Eastern-influenced art style."  It was not my intention to sound racist or anything.  Just ignorance on my part as to how to describe something.

• TyrxzTyrxz Member Posts: 329

For me it was time. I got less and less interested till the day I stopped checking for new. Should be SW:TOR in the poll thou. Annoys me so much... ^^

scribble scribble scribble

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

Tera is like a Aion 2.0 minus flying combat.

what happened to it?  they spent 80% of producion to make it look really flashy and pretty ( and i mean REALLY  flashy and pretty, kind of like playing a Soul Calibur 5 mmo) and forgot all about content. when they released it in Korea most people got to end level in less then 1 month and (just like in Aion) found out there was no end game content whatoever so they went back to whatever game they played before. this happened in Aion as well except that over there the incredible slow levelling kept most people from even getting to end level.

now, in order to avoid this happening in the west they are trying to quickly add something to do at end level before releasing the game here. unfortunately timing is everything and they will have to somehow try wrestle people away from SWTOR and GW2 to play their game once they launch. it will be interesting.

• WhiteCrossWhiteCross Member Posts: 120

yea, I agree. From what i've read, there just is not enough content.

It got boring really fast. Korean servers are dropping like flies, and the main dude bailed.

It may look pretty, but aparently it's not worth the ticket for the ride....I'll pass.

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

TERA wont really have a reason to exist once GW2 is out. theyre pretty much the same games except GW2 is better in every way. moving the release to 2012 basically nullified the game.

• APRIMEAPRIME Member UncommonPosts: 76

Originally posted by jerkbeast

Geez....thank you.  At least SOMEONE understood me.  I don't care what ANYONE says, the game LOOKS Asian to me and it doesn't appeal to me.  I'm glad these other people like it so much and are so quick to DEFEND it, but I'm sorry....to ME, it is still utterly unappealing. Doesn't matter to me where the game is made, by the way.  It could be made in Texas for all I know....it still LOOKS anime/Asian and that kills it for me.

I WILL still keep an eye on it, because it COULD surprise me.  I don't make final decisions on games that are unreleased.

EDIT:

It looks asian.  Saw the building architecture on one of the screenshots and thought it was Aion at first.