Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dynamic Events and WvWvWvE

InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662

DYNAMIC EVENTS

Trion should look at Guild Wars 2 Dynamic Events and learn from that. No one want to do quests because it's fun, they do it to level up and when we are at 50, we only get gear grind.

Enjoy the read!

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/dynamic-events/

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-gam...ents-overview/

Think about it Trion. Rift would be much more fun and interesting to play with Dynamic Events. Replayabillity and immersive = FUN.

WvWvWvE - World versus World versus World versus Environment

3 servers fighting over keeps,caves for rescources,sourcestone for cannons,fighting monsters of the planes etc etc. GMs could run unique events in this map and give awesome rewards. Many possibilities with a map like this, so many things to do.

Rift will offer replayabillity and FUN, without grind. Rift's key features need to offer REPLAYABILLITY AND FUN AND NO GRIND. FUN FUN FUN FUN = SUCCESS.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylene View Post

I love how Zoid believe what he thinks is the only solution.

GW2 isn't even out and you're saying it's better than what Rift currently has...

If you introduced it as an idea and said "Hey Trion, here's something a competitor is doing. It looks fun and I think it's worth a look into." I'd be fine with it.

Currently, you've just thrown out a blanket statement of "GW2 is better than Rift and you better copy it before they come out with it. It's more successful because I have talked to every single player that plays rift and they all think questing is stupid."

You are allowed to have your own opinions, but please don't speak for me.

I like certain zones and quests when can be lumped into a general area rather than run and do one quest, turn in, then run and do one more.

-1 for telling EffBee what (s)he'd find more fun.

My answer below.

Quests will never be the same thing as Dynamic Events. Quests have NO replayabillity. Dynamic Events has just that little thing that makes gaming more fun and successfull. Replayabillity,immersive and social fun.

Those three things makes it successfull. You can deny it all you want, but i believe in it and you can't change my mind. It's rather a fact than an opinion. I accept others opinions but at times they can be ignorant and they don't know what the other option may offer and in this case that other option is Dynamic Events.

" I like certain zones and quests when can be lumped into a general area rather than run and do one quest, turn in, then run and do one more."

With the quest system, yes this is the best way to do it, you feel that you have accomplished more when you turn in 5 quests at once, fast and easy, rather then when you turn in one at a time.

With Dynamic Events this is not the case. It's a totally different experience. You have to see it to understand what i mean.

If you see that your neighbour's house is on fire, you would call the firemen and find a solution to stop the fire. You may listen if you can hear anyone in the house and help them out. You would not think "Oh wait i forgot to buy milk yesterday" and then go to the store to buy milk. The milk is a minor issue while the fire is a major issue. That's why you concentrate on the major issue that cause a great impact on you and the world around you. The milk issue is personal and not very important at all.

In Guild Wars 2 you will experience these things with Dynamic Events, major and minor or rather from minor to major issues, though even minor issues in Guild Wars 2 would cause an impact. In Rift all quests are minor issues, that's why you can do 5 quests at once and then go on to next bunch of quests as easily. These quests has no impact on the world,on you or on anyone around you.

Comments

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

why not just play GW2?

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• DatcydeDatcyde Member UncommonPosts: 573

Originally posted by eyelolled

why not just play GW2?

Um GW2 is all instanced - you see a village in the instanced mission zone burn it or leave it....

also rift should not be compaired to GW2 I'm sure they will have dinamic events in the future plus in the start of the game your in a middle of a war I'm only lvl 10 but it was like that if I stood at the wrong spot i owuld get hit with a fire catapult thing.

• darlok6666darlok6666 Member Posts: 211

If your gonna copy GW2 PvP concepts, which will only contribute to more downfall of Rift, then you'll need to totally scrap the talent tree concepts.  ANet has always taken PvP seriously and with class balance, something Trion can care less of not to mention Rift class system is a friggin nightmare to balance.

Anyways do you really want to be called a GW Clone ontop of the WoW Clone stigmata thats already there?

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689

Originally posted by Datcyde

why not just play GW2?

Um GW2 is all instanced - you see a village in the instanced mission zone burn it or leave it....

lolwut

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

why not just play GW2?

also rift should not be compaired to GW2 I'm sure they will have dinamic events in the future plus in the start of the game your in a middle of a war I'm only lvl 10 but it was like that if I stood at the wrong spot i owuld get hit with a fire catapult thing.

GW2 is an open world with very minimul instancing. Personal story instance is more like housing. It's an instanced section of the city for each player to experience their choices through the personal story. Kinda your own block in the city. Just thought I'd correct the mistake.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

To be determined

Let ArenaNET go first. If they can make it work, then sure go ahead Trion.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Why would I want Rift to be like GW2? I'm already buying GW2!

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

why not just play GW2?

The first part of what you said is completely incorrect. Guild Wars 2 will have a fully open/persistent world, with the instances only taking place in dungeons and your personal storyline.

I also don't see Rift implementing something much in the way of dyanmic events, so much as trying to improve on the current Rift system.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

I fail to see how dynamic events are anything more than elaborate quest chains. There is going to be a finite amount of them. Sure they may develop more in the future, but it's not like they are going to be much different or in different places all the time.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

Originally posted by Palebane

I fail to see how dynamic events are anything more than elaborate quest chains. There is going to be a finite amount of them. Sure they may develop more in the future, but it's not like they are going to be much different or in different places all the time.

I don't beleive I have read anywhere claiming they were infinate. You can word them as elaborate quest chains if that makes you feel better though they aren't. It has been explained enough on the forums that if you wanted to know how they differ the info is out there in great detail. I'll give a few quick difference in my own way however just to say I tried.

Quests are going to be the same when you come back as an alt as they were the first time you killed x amount of creaturer for completion.  DE's may be on a different phase depending on failure or success since the last time you were near said DE.

Quests are either you complete or you don't.  DE's have different results if you fail or complete. Self explanitory.

Quests, generally, offer the same reward every time you do it. DE's will reward you based on participation.

Quests require you to talk to an NPC and read or listen to a wall of text, then accept or decline. DE's will have no npc to talk to and while there will be NPC interaction, it won't be required to participate in the DE.

There are plenty more examples to be had but I thought I'd give a few off the top of my head without putting any real thought into it.  Keep in mind the Devs never claimed that the dynamic content was infinite nor did they say that if an even was failed, that the landscape was changed permanently and forever. They have actually explained it in detail and stated that the DE is bound to reset or repeat eventually. Just to clear that up before that bit of misinformation also rears it's head again just like the ones claiming they don't understand how DE's differ from quests. The only real similarity is both are a meens to gain exp, DE's just present content in a less boring and repetative manner. Have good day :) 

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662

why not just play GW2?

GW2 is not instanced. GW was instanced.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Here is the flaw I see in GW2. Questing was originally made for one single purpose. The reason was so that everyone could see the content. You could have 1 or 100 people on the screen, but they could all see the what was going on.

The flaw with GW2 and why I think they will be forced to do phasing is simple. There dynamic content only works on a small scale. If you look at Rift and public grouping typically you get more then 10 people doing a Rift invasion at a time easily. It works in Rift because the stuff was made to simple enough that if you zerg it you still know what is going on.

If you zerg something in GW2 what happens?

• DatcydeDatcyde Member UncommonPosts: 573

Originally posted by Serelisk

why not just play GW2?

The first part of what you said is completely incorrect. Guild Wars 2 will have a fully open/persistent world, with the instances only taking place in dungeons and your personal storyline.

I also don't see Rift implementing something much in the way of dyanmic events, so much as trying to improve on the current Rift system.

You kidding me ? open world ? I have to check it out then.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by Serelisk

why not just play GW2?

You kidding me ? open world ? I have to check it out then.

Here you go. image

• RivalenRivalen Member Posts: 503

Originally posted by Puremallace

Here is the flaw I see in GW2. Questing was originally made for one single purpose. The reason was so that everyone could see the content. You could have 1 or 100 people on the screen, but they could all see the what was going on.

The flaw with GW2 and why I think they will be forced to do phasing is simple. There dynamic content only works on a small scale. If you look at Rift and public grouping typically you get more then 10 people doing a Rift invasion at a time easily. It works in Rift because the stuff was made to simple enough that if you zerg it you still know what is going on.

There's no phasing...

If you zerg something in GW2 the event scales with the amount of players that are participating, basically for let's say a boss fight, with 2 players the boss will use some abilities, with 50 the boss will do a whole different array of abilities.

Rift is a raiding game, i don't think it will evolve into dinamic events or WvWvW pvp, it might get some WAR rvr lakes and so on, but Rift end game is raiding.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Originally posted by Puremallace

They're not doing phasing.

The content scales up as more people do it.  Simple solution.  More enemies appear, boss monsters get more hp and more attacks

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by FlawSGI

Quests, generally, offer the same reward every time you do it. DE's will reward you based on participation.

This is something I'm concerned about- have they said exactly how they'll measure participation? I remember early on in Rift when they rewarded by participation that I could very easily top participation using a spec that offered area effect damage and healing (in amounts that were very subpar) whereas if I used a main healing spec and actually kept my entire team alive but added no damage I was usually near the bottom.

• RivalenRivalen Member Posts: 503

Originally posted by pierth

This is something I'm concerned about- have they said exactly how they'll measure participation? I remember early on in Rift when they rewarded by participation that I could very easily top participation using a spec that offered area effect damage and healing (in amounts that were very subpar) whereas if I used a main healing spec and actually kept my entire team alive but added no damage I was usually near the bottom.

In Rift this could be an issue, much like the PQs in WAR, where it felt extremely random.

In GW2 the combat will be very different so i guess it might be easier to do a mathematical formula to adjust the rewards.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Nope, they haven't said exactly, but it's worth noting that EVERYBODY doing it could get a gold reward.  There's levels of reward, not 'Best person, second best person' and so on.  So if you do plenty to participate, it doesn't care what anybody else is doing, it just gives you a reward commensurate to the amount of work you put in.  Apparently it's relatively easy to get max reward as long as you're there for the extent of the event and you aren't slacking off.  (If you come in very late, or decide to AFK in the middle, obviously your reward will be subpar.  ... but hey, you still get something!)

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

I don't beleive I have read anywhere claiming they were infinate. You can word them as elaborate quest chains if that makes you feel better though they aren't. It has been explained enough on the forums that if you wanted to know how they differ the info is out there in great detail. I'll give a few quick difference in my own way however just to say I tried.

Quests are going to be the same when you come back as an alt as they were the first time you killed x amount of creaturer for completion.  DE's may be on a different phase depending on failure or success since the last time you were near said DE.

Quests are either you complete or you don't.  DE's have different results if you fail or complete. Self explanitory.

Quests require you to talk to an NPC and read or listen to a wall of text, then accept or decline. DE's will have no npc to talk to and while there will be NPC interaction, it won't be required to participate in the DE.

There are plenty more examples to be had but I thought I'd give a few off the top of my head without putting any real thought into it.  Keep in mind the Devs never claimed that the dynamic content was infinite nor did they say that if an even was failed, that the landscape was changed permanently and forever. They have actually explained it in detail and stated that the DE is bound to reset or repeat eventually. Just to clear that up before that bit of misinformation also rears it's head again just like the ones claiming they don't understand how DE's differ from quests. The only real similarity is both are a meens to gain exp, DE's just present content in a less boring and repetative manner. Have good day :) 

Thanks for the responce. I have been following the game for awhile now, so that information is known to me. It will be a refreshing take on questing, but I don't think it's going to be as all-encompassing as some seem to think. To me, they are glorified quest chains. I'm not saying that's bad, just that I don't really see what the big deal is. I doubt it will be very different than what we have already. Again, I'm not saying that I'm not looking forward to it. I'm not bashing it, just being realistic.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

No they haven't went into this in clear detail as of yet. Anet has put more info on how to avoid griefers and events scaling from players coming through the area and not actually participating more than they have about how they are going to calcualte input per player. As it stands There was some player concern over people coming in and standing around doing nothing while the content scales and makes it harder on others that are actually participating.  I'll find a link here in a sec to help explain that part of it but I doubt that you will be penalized for a build or whatever as long as you are actually doing something.

edit  heres a couple   http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dynamic_event  (wiki so take it for what you will)

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/dynamic-events/dynamic-events-overview/   (under the "putting the MMO back in MMORPG" section)

/snip

/snip

Thanks for the responce. I have been following the game for awhile now, so that information is known to me. It will be a refreshing take on questing, but I don't think it's going to be as all-encompassing as some seem to think. To me, they are glorified quest chains. I'm not saying that's bad, just that I don't really see what the big deal is. I doubt it will be very different than what we have already. Again, I'm not saying that I'm not looking forward to it. I'm not bashing it, just being realistic.

While I clearly see the difference, I can respect your point of view on the topic. The big deal is that DE's, even if you still see them as glorified quest chains, will change the way some people play the game. the way you sound though it would be like me saying I dont see why they ever implemented quests for exp when it's the same as mob grinding for exp. It all equals the same end and that is progression, but it is completely different on how it is presented. Semantics aside if you want a better discussion on the topic here is one that I enjoyed reading. http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/322309/page/1

Maybe we can agree to disagree on the subject but there is a difference. DE's = progress.