Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Down 300,000 Subscribers

Comments

• illutianillutian Member UncommonPosts: 343

Originally posted by drbaltazar

graphic?lol it is all optional in their submenu of game you can crank this to insanelly nice look better have a strong computer tho!

lol?

The terrain may look 'slightly' better, but the characters you play/see are still the same as they were when I started (2006).

I think my reasons for quitting are [some] the general reasons:

-Armor (Tier) looked like crap; some looked nice...but most didn't. Why wear something that looks like you rolled around in crystals while covered in tar?

-Heroics were freaking impossible to do [early] because people had grown use to the "pull it all" tactic

-Class changes in combination with game play changes made re-learning your class....aggravating

-Mastery imbalance [early on]

-Casuals could reach 85 in a week

-World of Warcraft is OLD!

Granted these alone wouldn't have attributed much of a decline, but coupled together...and it's the re-enactment of the Titantic tradegy.*

*S.O.S wasn't standard. Emergency flares confused as celebration, passengers going back to their rooms, lack of lifeboats, water-tight bulkheads didn't go the height of the ship, etc, etc.

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising everytime we fall.

• kleangkleang Member UncommonPosts: 25

It's no doubt, latest expansion is very cheap.   From 80-85, you just play in loop like do 1st  quest->open 2 more quest, do it->  open more quest -> done move 100m to another spot -> repeat.

For raid, just compare level 85 raid to 80,70 and 60 raid.   It's just cheap raid compare to any previous expansion.

Blizzard think their customer is fool,  100 million dollar each month for this cheap stuff?

Seriously, Blizzard just made everything simple for them so they can release new expansion for $$$ fast. Everything just cheap and simple now - Talent, skills, enviroment , quest etc.,    No complex and fun thing in Wow anymore.   

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

I'll probably cancel my subscription  tonight - I loved playing a fire mage - that was my 'identity', and now they are not viable for solo PvE - they have gone from good / exciting to 'die every time' rubbish.

• SargentRockSargentRock Member Posts: 21

Eh, I played off and on (mostly on) for six years.  Tried a couple of servers, met a lot of great people, but in the end it just got old.  Even fresh content was the same old, same old.  I had to stop for a week or so for a business trip and realized I didn't miss it much at all, so decided that was it.  That was back in March.  Sure, every now and then I look to see what's been added or if anything exciting is coming up, but nothing I've seen so far intrigues me.  It was a lot of fun and I assume the people that are still playing are having a great time, but I'm done with it and have no regrets. 

• NokiaNokia Member Posts: 1
    I don't know why Blizzard is focusing more on raiding & PVP content these days. I never play PVP & almost never raid as 99% I play by myself as I can never get together with friends at the same time to play together. I love questing & rarely go into dungens unless I am far enough above in level to be able to solo them. I play 5 Alliance & 5 Horde toons on the same server. I was told at one time that they might make it possible for mail to be sent back & forth fro faction as long as it was on the same account, but they never did it. They made it possible to change facts & you can change professions, but the have not made it possible to change classes, they talked about making it possible to change classes & even had it on the PTR briefly then it disappeared from there & haven't heard anything about it again. I have been playing WOW for years & will continue to playing. I would however like to see less PVP & raiding & would like to see more regular questing & dungens that are more soloable. I would love to be able to mail items back & forth between my horde toons & my alliance toons. I would also like to be able to change the class of a toon if I wanted to change it. I don't know how many people remember Earth & Beyond, but it was a great game that was made by Westwood Studios, then EA Games bought it & keep it going for a short time before EA games killed it, pissing alot of hard core fan off. I, myself had multiple account & was a hard core E&B player. Instead of expanding the game as they suppose to the killed it, a great game was lost. I have tried other games over time, but I have not found any game better than WOW. I have beta tested alot of games & have not found any that I really like except for Star Trek Online that I do play some, but WOW is still my #1 game. I would like to see more questing, cross faction mailing for atleast accounts & the ability to change classes. They need to make certain areas better for soloing for those of us how play mostly solo & PVE & do NOT like PVP. Well, that is my 2 cents as they say. This is just my opinion & wishes. I will continue to play WOW. BTW, I play about 6 to 10 hours a day most days. I am disabled & no longer work any more & make it thru each day playing WOW & watching TV.

Grandmaster Nokia LVL 150+++ JE
    1 of the Founding Members
    Guild Q (Leaders) &
    Leader of The Continuum Guild
    in the Galileo Galaxy (of the former E&B)

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Hardly surprising. Their continued focus on daliy quests as filler content is likely to see their player loss numbers continue to climb. But anyone attempting to talk sense into Ghostcrawler is wasting their time.  I suspect that it will take a near panic decision from the upper level suits to even have a chance of turning things around. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • darkblightdarkblight Member UncommonPosts: 55

played wow off and on since it came out.. i think ive ground up about 5 different accoutns at different times, then i get to end game play for maybe a month and sell the account... not sure why i do but i have a hard time getting into the end game blizzard has to offer in wow. 

i have always liked sandbox games and for me wow just seems so... dull. log in do daily and then sit in a major city trying to get in a group for a raid... to get gear.

i think this last time what killed it for me was the seperation of pvp gear and pve gear... meaning that gear gotten in pvp sucked in pve and gear from pve sucked in pvp. 

when i liked the game alot i remember grinding out my grand marshal set and then being able to use it in raiding to try to get my lvl 60 set, which would of been godly in pve and pvp. 

right now im playing king of kings 3, which is a suprisingly fun pvp mmo 

• meusxruinameusxruina Member Posts: 1

Unless Blizzard actually pumps some serious ingenuity into endgame, WoW is always going to be more fun leveling up 1-85.  The problem with this is that leveling has ceased to be fun... it just doesn't feel like you're accomplishing anything anymore.  /df randomqueue has replaced the greatness that was PreBC mobbing around STV, meeting other players, assembling groups to quest and stave off PvP.  For the most part, there's no reason to quest (or leave town, for that matter) when you can just let random dungeons level you up and gear you out.

Crafting needs to be retooled because it's absolutely pointless.  You just sit around, mindlessly making x items until you run out of inventory space and junk it all to the vendor because it's worthless and nobody wants it.  When you level up through dungeons you don't have enough mats and end up outleveling your professions, having to turn to the trusty AH, rely on your main toons, or venture out into the wilderness and farm cloth for some hours.

What WoW has lost is the genuine "intrigue" factor.  There needs to be a point to exploring and grouping in world zones; make it feel like the players actually affect the environment, basically make the game feel more EPIC.

I'm sure at this point most of the PreBC players (like myself) have turned the game off because it's drifted so far from what it was... the player base is shifting from die-hard players to virgin newbloods.

With Blizzard's resources, would it really be that hard to throw in a few more cast/attack animations for each race? Add a new continent with dynamic 1-80 content and give the game more weight?

Blizzard's so focused on appeasing the end-game, they've lost focus on the real quest, the real reward.  Give people a fun, worthwhile, challenging adventure to 85 so they don't just hit 85 in a week and reroll an alt because there's nothing left to do. And for God's sake, add some mystery.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

There is nothing out there that comes even close to resembling a real mmorpg,so blizzard has nothing to worry about for several years yet.As a matter of fact,maybe another 5-10 years strong,because systems cannot handle anything that would add to a real mmorpg experience.At this point in time we  are still standing inside of mobs or walking right through each other,we don't even have realsitic physics.

So since all these games are the same and people are playing them the same,where are all those 11 million going to go?Well answer is not far and very slowly at that.What i have noticed is most of these people are just bored stiff,so quit paying for rubbish and just look for f2p games,that they can hangout ,until something fresh comes along.I use the word fresh,because it will be the same old ,just sporting a different skin with probably one or two cheap gimmicks.

When Wow starts losing millions over a 2 month period,then maybe we should take notice,that perhaps a REAL game has surfaced.One thing for sure is that Blizzard/Activision have a lot of money and marketing,they will probably be the benefactors when the drones finally leave Wow.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• orin67orin67 Member Posts: 7

I really don't know why people get worked up when they see that they've lost some subs. WoW has been out for a long time, and it's getting old, it's just taken awhile longer for this game to reflect it.  There isn't much they can do in terms of gameplay to up this game unless they make a true sequel, which would be WoW 2.

It doesn't matter if this game has 4 million subs, it'll still be doing good when compared to other MMO's still out there on the market.  Just because they lost 300,000 players doesn't mean anything.

Blizzard  isn't going to fret, neither should anyone else.

• bisurgebisurge Member UncommonPosts: 168

I hope Blizzard realizes this is because they re-release old content and dailies all the time... and when they release something new, it offers little or no new mechanics that people have not seen before.

• ShaadraShaadra Member Posts: 3

I am so happy that Blizzard is losing business (subs).  Any company that has people working for them that are hacking into peoples accounts to help maintain business deserves to lose alot of business (subs)!!  There is no other mmo that has had as much hacking problems as Blizzard.  This company should never have enter into the mmo business and should have just continued to make stand alone games like the Diablo series.  One of the happiest days of my life was when my son was born!!  If WoW keeps losing alot of subs and eventually fades out like EverQuest or other games you hardly ever hear about then that will be another Very Happy Day for me!!  Of course, if I ever hear that WoW is shutting down it's servers then I will be so happy that I just might have a heart attack!!  Don't get me wrong I have enjoyed playing WoW since it's beta (beginning) days, but after they started coming out with expansions they just started going down hill.  I personally have not ever been hacked or my fiance, but I know of people that have been hacked into and there are alot of people I know that have this happen to them and Blizzard has always just ignored them. 

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

Originally posted by SargentRock

Eh, I played off and on (mostly on) for six years.  Tried a couple of servers, met a lot of great people, but in the end it just got old.  Even fresh content was the same old, same old.  I had to stop for a week or so for a business trip and realized I didn't miss it much at all, so decided that was it.  That was back in March.  Sure, every now and then I look to see what's been added or if anything exciting is coming up, but nothing I've seen so far intrigues me.  It was a lot of fun and I assume the people that are still playing are having a great time, but I'm done with it and have no regrets. 

the pvp servers were fun until resilience broke the game balance so terribly with certain classes just being flat out undamageable even by the highest dps out there.

• BanquetchefBanquetchef Member Posts: 19

That new CEO at Blizzard isn't ever going to spend a dime on WoW again. I suspect he will milk it as a ftp game eventually, work Diablo hard for profit over fun,and turn and burn on getting that new game being developed out. If the current CEO wasn't at Blizzard,he would be running a bank on Wall Street...see what I am getting at here? I bet he has big plans for a huge sub price when that new Blizz mmo is finally released. Go online and read a little about what is known and being said about him.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Altough i realy hated blizzard for alot of decisions they have made in WoW, in my 6 years i played it i was never hacked.

Dont go to pron sites or buy gold and your fine.

Its not Blizzards responsebilty to keep the account save, it is yours alone.

Download ESET NOD Antivirus

Advanced Systemcare - Freeware !!

Firefox Mozilla with Addons  No-script blocker and Addblocker

Been using it for many many years now and never got hacked or scammed :P

Some people go way to far when thinking Blizzard is doing that on purpose -_-

• NazgolNazgol Member Posts: 864

Some MMO's don't even have the amount of players WOW lost...

In Bioware we trust!

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

Fact is, people love to hate number one. It's just the way it is. I just recently left Eq2 to come back to WoW as I was tired of grinding AA's and gear to give me a shot in hell at PVP. To me, it seems that they have made the game much more casual player friendly. I only play a few hours every other night, so this is right up my alley. As many things as I could point out that I don't like about the game, there are far more things that I do llike that outway the dislikes. I think Blizzard has done an outstanding job, and the genius is the low system req's. I'm pretty sure you could play this game on a graphing calculator. 

Anyway you look at it though, loosing 300K hurts, even if you're still over 10 Million. It hurts because there wasn't even a big release lately to take those numbers. What will happen when some good MMO's hit the market in the next 6 months?

I think that while they have changed the game in some good ways, it's really starting to show it's age. They need something big.. and they're not stupid people, so I'm sure they know this. With GW2 and TOR looming on the horizon, they need something REALLY big. I for one  hope they can come through, I played when the game first hit in 2004 and I have some really great memories. 

What I purpose is a large open contenent with player (faction) built structures that can be fought over for control of the land. These structures will have to be destructible and give advantages of being built and held, perhaps quest or crafting based. But leave it open and let what happens happen. They could even wipe it every few months. They're really aren't enough games out with player built structures and with Archeage also coming soon, which has this, they may be able to save some subs. This is just a rough dreeam, but I'm sure Blizz could shine it up and make it awesome. Either way, they need something different. adding new races and a Hero Class may not do it this time. 

• HordedogHordedog Member UncommonPosts: 46

Originally posted by mugengaia

Originally posted by Xondar123

Originally posted by wowlovr4life

Personally, I don't care one way or the other about World of Warcraft, but I'm not going to cling to the words of some hating report from "developer.com" (or whatever).

Warcraft is number 1. Has been, always will be.  They have survived all the "wow killers", they survived Lord of the Rings ripping off Lich King to make their Witch King,  and are still standing stronger than ever.

I was not aware that a character from a novel written in the 1950s was ripping off a game that was released in the 2000s.

Or were you not aware that the Witch King of Angmar was around long, LONG before Blizzard ever started ripping off Lord of the Rings?

Hint: Warcraft was originally very heavily influenced by Tolkien.

This ^. So very much, this ^

I find it hilarious that someone whose tag is "wowlovr4life" is going to say "Personally, I don't care one way or the other about World of Warcraft, ...".

I also want to mention that while WoW is still, and has been, number 1, it will not in fact "always will be". All mmos eventually fall. WoW has had incredible staying power but anyone not wearing fanboi blinders will see that as more and more mmos release over the next 5 years or so, WoW will continue to decline. It's the nature of the beast, as mmos go. 

The more I think about it, Titan may well end up being the nail in WoW's coffin. With SWTOR and GW2 coming out, WoW is already looking at some stiff competition. Add to that Blizz's own new baby Titan, fighting it's older brother for resources, and I think I hear the death knell for WoW ringning in the distance. 

I give WoW another 3-5 yrs at the top, max. By then it will be brushed aside by another title and the reign will end.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Did anyone ever figure out where those 300k actually went too or did they just become side liners? I know I saw a pick-up in Rift recently, but not like a 300k pick up lol

• allenjmallenjm Member Posts: 4

I played Warcraft 5 odd years up to downing the Lich King on 25 man before the nerfs made it a pointless exercise, I had 7 lvl 80 epic geared toons, a couple of them in the top ten of the gear lists for their class/spec  on the realm. I took the break before the release because it gave a ‘natural’ point to make the break. 

My reasons for leaving were two fold, people that played and hence you had to play with were just plain rude there had been a large shift in the communities attitude from the early days of ‘Vanilla’ of team play to point scoring sarcasm and ‘LTP N00b!’ So I guess a lot of the die hard older players have just finally refused that last ‘resurrection’.  The second reason was the availability of gear, the stuff you busted your ass playing well in a good guild to get was available a month later in a patch, leaving you unable to figure out from a player’s gear and level if he/she really could play. Forcing players with poor team skills and attitude to get a grip and ‘LTP – nicely with the other children’ was one of the best factors of the early days, you always gave peeps a shot at the title but they had to try at least. PuG’s used to be fun but in WotLK the ‘PuG from hell’ was such common event it became the norm.

Like in anything if the community spirit dies so does the commitment to the community, just look at the Southern British cities tonight, the players have become transient going on to another game for a while, you can always go back a month or two later and HEY! that epic you wanted can be bought for a few badges….. (IMO ofc :))

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

Originally posted by Hordedog

Originally posted by mugengaia

Originally posted by Xondar123

Originally posted by wowlovr4life

Personally, I don't care one way or the other about World of Warcraft, but I'm not going to cling to the words of some hating report from "developer.com" (or whatever).

Warcraft is number 1. Has been, always will be.  They have survived all the "wow killers", they survived Lord of the Rings ripping off Lich King to make their Witch King,  and are still standing stronger than ever.

I was not aware that a character from a novel written in the 1950s was ripping off a game that was released in the 2000s.

Or were you not aware that the Witch King of Angmar was around long, LONG before Blizzard ever started ripping off Lord of the Rings?

Hint: Warcraft was originally very heavily influenced by Tolkien.

This ^. So very much, this ^

I find it hilarious that someone whose tag is "wowlovr4life" is going to say "Personally, I don't care one way or the other about World of Warcraft, ...".

I also want to mention that while WoW is still, and has been, number 1, it will not in fact "always will be". All mmos eventually fall. WoW has had incredible staying power but anyone not wearing fanboi blinders will see that as more and more mmos release over the next 5 years or so, WoW will continue to decline. It's the nature of the beast, as mmos go. 

The more I think about it, Titan may well end up being the nail in WoW's coffin. With SWTOR and GW2 coming out, WoW is already looking at some stiff competition. Add to that Blizz's own new baby Titan, fighting it's older brother for resources, and I think I hear the death knell for WoW ringning in the distance. 

I give WoW another 3-5 yrs at the top, max. By then it will be brushed aside by another title and the reign will end.

Couple things, first, I think it's a bit premature to call anything a nail in a coffin of a game that has (agruably) 11 million subs. There's no coffin; it hasn't even been fitted for a coffin.

It's not in 1st by a bit, it's in 1st by a landslide. I can't think of another game that even has close to half of WoW's subs. I believe the number 1 reason is the incredibly low system requirements and visual appeal (although dated). Let's not kid ourselves though; If they release even a "good" expansion, nevermind something mind blowing; the subs will rise yet again. I have quit and come back more times then Brett Favre (sometimes with just as many tears 8) - It's a good game in it's foundation. 

• daddystabzdaddystabz Member Posts: 63

It looks like World of Warcraft is already trembling somewhat as Star Wars The Old Republic approaches.

• KretanKretan Member Posts: 9

it still honestly surprises me that it has retained the amount of subs it has for this long. but then again i dont rank #1 game by # of subscribers, to me WoW is the worst blizzard has ever produced by a landslide and didnt even get me past the first month after it launched and only interested me for about a week rest the time i let my son play and i think he lasted maybe 2 weeks blowing through it and was bored and stopped.

I know it will retain a fair amount of subs for years to come but id wager within 2 years it will be under 1mil paid accounts.

• ElementalElemental Member Posts: 23

i could only stand to play till i got my 85 then i was bord!!

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Originally posted by Nazgol
    Some MMO's don't even have the amount of players WOW lost...

funny isnt it? almost as funny as those people posting as if this is some sort of victory. its a sad thing the mmo community has devolved to.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)