Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Down 300,000 Subscribers

Comments

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

And as soon asanother Expansion comes out, all the sheep will flock back into the field.

Who cares?

• Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822

Originally posted by Infestation2

They're losing subscribers because they keep pumping out the same old crap over and over and over again. Adding new grinding tasks doesnt make a game fun, it makes it BORING! DAILIES ARE BORING! And they keep adding them under the sad delusion that its fun, and that this is what people want. new content is good when its real content, but when its a dozen more daily quest grinds to complete, its a joke. WoW is at its end, and their subs will only continue to plumit from here, especially when SWTOR comes out.

Agree with most of the first part of what you wrote. Not to mention, alot of people have been playing this game for 6 years ... and of course it has gotten boring by now, definitely since they havent added anything truely different in gameplay. As far as SWTOR taking a chunk, I'm not really sure myself. I'll be playing it for one, but Ive also tried every major mmo that has come out. I just don't see alot that sets swtor apart from WoW. Will it be fun? Im sure it will but the question is , will it be different enough not to get insanely bored doing the exact same things I did in WoW? Guess, only tiem will tell.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by Joarnaj

Originally posted by tank017

Originally posted by Jimmy562

Originally posted by darlok6666

Originally posted by LauZaIM

Too bad only 5 mil or so are actual monthly subscribers. That means it's 4.1 mil now. Soon to be less when TOR launches.

If your gonna post totla garbage like that then post facts to back yourself and not look like a complete idiot.  4.1 mill?  Yeah whatever, that doesn't even cover NA and EU subs, then there's all the other contries, Asia, Auastalia, South America... 4.1 mill subs my ass.

He's right. Only western players play per month. Asia pays per hour or something.

Doesn't excuse the fact that they're still paying and playing... WoW haters gon hate.

It's not about haters. I still pay and play casually. This is about WoW losing almost 10% of its world-wide population in 6 months and people discussing why that might be.

That's u speaking for yourself..
    You can smell the hate from this thread seeping through the monitor screen.The game is 8 years old, it's bound to lose subs.Even so,blizzard is still the envy of every other mmo company out there.
  • MahloMahlo Member UncommonPosts: 814

threads like this just reinforce how WoW dominates western MMOs. Supposedly big MMOs liked LotRO only ever had 300k users! the fact it's still top dog, numerous times over, is a bigger story than that it losers some players.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

See! I just knew that Mortal Online was going to be a WoW killer!

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• FaelanFaelan Member UncommonPosts: 819

The sad part is... it seems that Blizzard's response to this will be patch 4.3 later this year, which contains more raiding and 5 man content according to what they've said. Woohoo... yay... like that's going to help them.

I'm a big ol' fluffy carewolf. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

• FaelanFaelan Member UncommonPosts: 819

Originally posted by wowlovr4life

Warcraft is number 1. Has been, always will be.  They have survived all the "wow killers", they survived Lord of the Rings ripping off Lich King to make their Witch King,  and are still standing stronger than ever.

You know... without Lord of the Rings... there would have been no WoW as we know it. Just saying.

I'm a big ol' fluffy carewolf. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

• darlok6666darlok6666 Member Posts: 211

Originally posted by Jimmy562

Too bad only 5 mil or so are actual monthly subscribers. That means it's 4.1 mil now. Soon to be less when TOR launches.

If your gonna post totla garbage like that then post facts to back yourself and not look like a complete idiot.  4.1 mill?  Yeah whatever, that doesn't even cover NA and EU subs, then there's all the other contries, Asia, Auastalia, South America... 4.1 mill subs my ass.

He's right. Only western players play per month. Asia pays per hour or something.

Wether it's monthly subs or hourly rates it doesn't matter, either way they generate revenue. 

Regardless Blizz will conjure some sales pitch that people will suck up dry just like they did in the past.  Blizz is just gonna milk WoW for as much as they can, their top Devs aren't even working on WoW anymore as their on the Titan project so yeah the quality of WoW is gonna go downhill.  They now this, they'll try to attract customers as much as they can for WoW, then Titan will be unveiled and all will flock to it like mindless peons.

• sungodrasungodra Member Posts: 1,376

I seriously doubt they have 11.1 million subscribers... 

"When it comes to GW2 any game is fair game"

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

They are going to launch WoW in Brazil so they can try to regain some of the subscribers they lost. Nice desperation move but no dice. It is slowly dwindling away. It was a great game back in 2004 but it isn't 2004 anymore.

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

Originally posted by sungodra

I seriously doubt they have 11.1 million subscribers... 

They do, surprisingly enough. It's not called the king of MMO's for no reason. World of Warcraft has an outrageously large amount of players actively playing it.  image

However, a lot of those aren't actually subscribing monthly, but paying for play-time by the hours. At least half of WoW's subscriber rates come from asian markets, where such a pay-ment model is used.

These are big hits for WoW, though. I'm in shock! image

• OkhamsRazorOkhamsRazor Member Posts: 1,047

Its an number of different things that are causing these losses . Competition from other games , the recession , the games getting old now and Blizzard have inspite of what fanbois think made have taken the game in the wrong direction . Its been a good run but expect more of these loses in future . I'm think they'll be lucky to hold on to 6 million by the end of next year and quite possibly it will be down a lot lower than that unless they pull a rabbit out of the hat ( and pandas definatly aint rabbits ) . I'm betting we'll now see free to play from level 1-60 within 6 months , cash shops , buy an instant level 85 for cash and proberbly every trick in the book other than making the game fun and challenging again. Anyway the parents of the children that play it  will be soon more concerned about putting food in thier mouths rather than buying them little sparkly horses . I reckon theres going to be some epic tantrums on the horizon .

• BlackWatchBlackWatch Member UncommonPosts: 972

Blizzard will attempt to make up the numbers in other countries/regions.  Good luck to them.

It's going to take more than the focus on E-Sports and raiding to win back business.

The generation of dev's that Blizz has working on WoW lacks the hunger, drive, and sense of innovation that the original team had. 

The other thing that happened... Activision.  Blizz was great when the company was 'smallish' and had that 'friends/family' feel to it.  When the company started focussing on 'business' rather than 'the games'... that's when they lost their magic. Sure, they sold box units like mad... but with every expansion, the game lost that edge that it had. 

What does Titan hold for us? Blizz's attempt at a MMO-FPS?  Let's hope they have learned from their mistakes of late... and pray they don't repeat them.

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

It's clever marketing by Blizzard the 11.1 million figure. As people in Asia have a different payment method, they pay for blocks of time I believe which means someone who has 10p left on their account but hasn’t played in 3 years is still counted as an active subscriber. 

Wow although very successful doesn’t have anywhere near 11 million active subscribers in the western sense. The EU and US combined reportedly account for nearly 6 million subs, Wow has lost 900k subs in 6 months which is very significant indeed.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Originally posted by thedrakon

The cataclism quest was awesome. The raid, wich is the part I usually prefer was pretty boring. The daily quest is a plague in the current trend of mmorpg. I seriously hate Daily quest and it's what push me out of WoW

I cringe when I see a blue exclamation mark in WoW....

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

this is good news if, like me, you want Blizz to hurry their asses up and get Titan ready.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

Originally posted by wowlovr4life

Personally, I don't care one way or the other about World of Warcraft, but I'm not going to cling to the words of some hating report from "developer.com" (or whatever).

Warcraft is number 1. Has been, always will be.  They have survived all the "wow killers", they survived Lord of the Rings ripping off Lich King to make their Witch King,  and are still standing stronger than ever.

the lord of the rings predates warcraft by about fifty--- why am i bothering?

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• IronfungusIronfungus Member Posts: 519

Ah yes, I wondered why Blizzard sent me a free 7-days of subscription. Honestly, I couldn't stand more than fourty-five seconds of running around in Stormwind. I just can't do it anymore.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

Originally posted by Coolit

It's clever marketing by Blizzard the 11.1 million figure. As people in Asia have a different payment method, they pay for blocks of time I believe which means someone who has 10p left on their account but hasn’t played in 3 years is still counted as an active subscriber. 

Wow although very successful doesn’t have anywhere near 11 million active subscribers in the western sense. The EU and US combined reportedly account for nearly 6 million subs, Wow has lost 900k subs in 6 months which is very significant indeed.

For those that buy time cards (such as China), they only count them if they have played in the previous 30 days.

• ThegoodlolThegoodlol Member CommonPosts: 64

Cataclysm was the worst expansion so far for, lvling wasn't as 'magical' as it was vanilla or in the burning crusade, flying trough content just isn't fun, you hardly experience anything that the maps have to offer, and the end-game content wasn't good enough for me.

• redpinsredpins Member Posts: 147

LoL. I read some of the back and forth conversations on this topic. It mainly turned into a "Who is right" thread. Let me tell you a little thing that came out in the past about Blizzard. They were getting in trouble for their "Stocks" in the US trade market because they were "Lying" on their subscription counts for investors. Enough said, I think actual evidence is, they try to pull the same old crap over people's eyes, saw the foreshadow of people leaving because of the complexity and age of their material, and decided to milk to cow til it finally dies.

I struggle not with life, money, emotions, and world, but against old mindsets and selves to be proven obsolete in a age and time of rapid changes. Go create fun, so you can have fun.

• OkhamsRazorOkhamsRazor Member Posts: 1,047

Originally posted by itchmon

this is good news if, like me, you want Blizz to hurry their asses up and get Titan ready.

Your assuming Blizzard can catch lightening in a bottle twice . Titan could quite easily be a huge let down and most likly will be . WoW came out at exactly the right time when lots of people were getting broadband for the first time world wide and many gamers like myself have heard of mmos and wanted to give one a try .

WoW wont disapear overnight it ll most likly still be around in 10 years time and pretty healthy with several hundred thousand players I think Titan will have come and gone by the time WoW closes its doors forever  .I dont think its smart to be a fan of a paticular developer and think everything they produce will be exceptional . I agree though it is more likly Blizzard will produce something decent and polished than say Cryptic .

• grunt187grunt187 Member CommonPosts: 956

So your saying they lost a Warhammer and a VSoH. imageimage

The following statement is false
    The previous statement is true

• xS0u1zxxS0u1zx Member Posts: 209

The game loses less then 10% of it's player base and armaggedon occurs -.-...  Like seriously wtf, who cares it's less then 10 percent!

I just guess the 90+% don't matter in the game, cause y'know Blizzard will default and become bankrupt losing $15 million of it's $180 million a month profit just off of subscriptions.  Just sayin...

• lthompson94lthompson94 Member Posts: 194

The amount of cluelessness in this thread is astounding.

Blizzard regularly sheds and regains players.  They spike in months following expansions or patches, the decline in the following months, and spike back up again.  There is no reason to think this is any different.

The lost millions a few months after WotLK and came back stronger than ever.  Cata has been out like 9 months now.  People dropped before Rise of the Zandalari too.  Then they came back for 4.2.  Now they are tapering off again.  People are through the bulk of the content, and will be back when a new patch hits.  Also, someone explain to me how "subscribers" aren't paying.  They are subscribed.  Even if they pay hourly or whatever they have active subscriptions to the game - hence they pay.  A free trial is not a full subscription.

It happens this way every time, just another ill-informed thread by someone who doesn't know his gaming history.  300k is about 3% of their pop.  Obviously it's people who are taking breaks or waiting for another patch. 

I haven't played WoW in months.  But I'll be back, just like almost everyone else.